Canon IXUS 850 - OS2

This is a discussion on Canon IXUS 850 - OS2 ; Has anybody found a solution to connect the digital camera Canon IXUS 850 with ESC 1.2? Here it won't be recognized neither as a camera nor as USB drive. My config.sys shows this: BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS BASEDEV=CWUSBD.SYS BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 ...

  1. Canon IXUS 850

    Has anybody found a solution to connect the digital camera Canon IXUS
    850 with ESC 1.2?
    Here it won't be recognized neither as a camera nor as USB drive.
    My config.sys shows this:
    BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    BASEDEV=CWUSBD.SYS
    BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:4 /FIXED_DISKS:0
    /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE

    At least with Christian's usb driver I can see the camera as an Icon
    with a dedicated drive letter but without access. Dfsee also doesn't see
    it as a drive.

    Stefan

  2. Re: Canon IXUS 850

    Stefan.Radke
    ], who wrote in article :
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:4 /FIXED_DISKS:0 /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE

    CW drivers are too old to handle MSD reliably. You need at least
    bldlevel 10.162 of IBM's drivers. For large MSD disks you may also need /CHS:

    rem /CHS Driver calculates and adds Cylinder/Heads/Sectors values to
    rem device geometry. This key helps to support USB drives
    rem with capacity more than 40GB for systems with os2dasd driver
    rem without 512GB support and for non-lvm systems.

    rem /MS10_OFF Driver avoids of using ModeSense10 command for geometry detection.

    but with tiny drives of current camera you may survive without it...

    Keep in mind that I do not know what /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE does; /CSH is
    the only switch I use.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  3. Re: Canon IXUS 850

    Ilya Zakharevich schrieb:
    > Stefan.Radke
    > ], who wrote in article :
    >> BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    >> BASEDEV=CWUSBD.SYS
    >> BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:4 /FIXED_DISKS:0 /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE

    > CW drivers are too old to handle MSD reliably. You need at least
    > bldlevel 10.162 of IBM's drivers. For large MSD disks you may also need /CHS:
    >
    > rem /CHS Driver calculates and adds Cylinder/Heads/Sectors values to
    > rem device geometry. This key helps to support USB drives
    > rem with capacity more than 40GB for systems with os2dasd driver
    > rem without 512GB support and for non-lvm systems.
    >
    > rem /MS10_OFF Driver avoids of using ModeSense10 command for geometry detection.
    >
    > but with tiny drives of current camera you may survive without it...
    >
    > Keep in mind that I do not know what /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE does; /CSH is
    > the only switch I use.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Ilya

    following your recommendation there is no improvement.
    I can't get access to the camera.

    Stefan

  4. Re: Canon IXUS 850

    Stefan.Radke
    ], who wrote in article :
    > following your recommendation there is no improvement.
    > I can't get access to the camera.

    Are you SURE it is MSD? A lot of P&S use some proprietory disk-like
    protocol, or PTP...

    Sorry that I could not help you,
    Ilya

  5. Re: Canon IXUS 850

    Hi Stefan

    Stefan.Radke wrote:
    > Has anybody found a solution to connect the digital camera Canon IXUS
    > 850 with ESC 1.2?
    > Here it won't be recognized neither as a camera nor as USB drive.
    > My config.sys shows this:
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:4 /FIXED_DISKS:0
    > /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE
    >
    > At least with Christian's usb driver I can see the camera as an Icon
    > with a dedicated drive letter but without access. Dfsee also doesn't see
    > it as a drive.
    >
    > Stefan

    2 things spring to mind:-

    1] the camera is a PTP, not MSD, device so needs extra software to work.
    I have seen some software, somewhere... try entering camera into the
    search box at http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/ and then select software with PTP
    mentioned.

    2] I'm sure there used to be a use for the now rather elderly CWUSB
    drivers but as you have eCS1.2 I suggest you scrap them and use the
    current IBM drivers.

    Also of possible help in configuring USB on your system
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

    Note USBcfg does not work with CWUSB and should ignore any CWUSB entries
    in the config.sys file.

    Regards

    Pete

  6. Re: Canon IXUS 850

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:21:19 GMT, Peter Brown wrote:

    >1] the camera is a PTP, not MSD, device so needs extra software to work.
    >I have seen some software, somewhere... try entering camera into the
    >search box at http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/ and then select software with PTP
    >mentioned.

    Canon cameras tend to be PTP (or used to be). Do a search for
    Cameraderie (or something similar - Peters search should find it),
    maybe at Hobbes.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  7. Re: Canon IXUS 850

    Rodney Pont schrieb:
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:21:19 GMT, Peter Brown wrote:
    >
    >> 1] the camera is a PTP, not MSD, device so needs extra software to work.
    >> I have seen some software, somewhere... try entering camera into the
    >> search box at http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/ and then select software with PTP
    >> mentioned.

    > Canon cameras tend to be PTP (or used to be). Do a search for
    > Cameraderie (or something similar - Peters search should find it),
    > maybe at Hobbes.

    I trird caneraderie and ptpro (which I found at Hobbes) without any success.
    Do you any other programm?

    Stefan

  8. Re: Canon IXUS 850

    On 2007-03-24, Stefan.Radke wrote:

    > I trird caneraderie and ptpro (which I found at Hobbes) without any success.
    > Do you any other programm?

    There is one other program: Gphoto which can be found here:

    http://froloff.homeip.net/

    But I suspect there is are problems with your
    USB-Drivers/Config.sys or your usbcalls.dll/USBRESMG.SYS pair.
    Perhaps you have a 'wrohg' usbcalls.dll in your LIBPATH.

    I would stay with cameraderie and report Rich your problems
    in detail. It's likely, that your problem can be solved.

    Franz

+ Reply to Thread