How to turn off power saver on Toshiba Tecra 9000? - OS2

This is a discussion on How to turn off power saver on Toshiba Tecra 9000? - OS2 ; Running eCS 1.2 (de) on an about 5 years old Toshiba Tecra 9000. I had to replace the battery after I had it for a year now, because it didn't even have 50% of its original capacity left. Now the ...

  1. How to turn off power saver on Toshiba Tecra 9000?

    Running eCS 1.2 (de) on an about 5 years old Toshiba Tecra 9000. I had
    to replace the battery after I had it for a year now, because it
    didn't even have 50% of its original capacity left. Now the new
    battery seems so far ok. BUT: The system has a really idiot "power
    saver" function that works in four steps, depending on battery status,
    2 steps above and 2 below about 50% battery fill.

    If I boot into the Windows XP partition (which I only do if I really
    need to and always after cutting all physical ways to get into the
    internet, btw.), there is a "Toshiba power saver" tool that allows to
    configure that function. "Normal" settings are: first two "steps" with
    display lighting "4", then at 50% battery fill it goes down to "3",
    then at some point to "2". I can change that to all "4" and the
    computer is indeed functional, because everything below is not usable:
    you can just guess what's written on the screen, but no way to really
    work with it.

    The point is now that the changed settings do only work with Windows,
    which is of little use to me! Then, the Toshiba support pointed me to
    a "power saver" that seems to exist for Linux only. But so far I did
    not find a way to get the settings changed also for eCS or OS/2! Which
    actually means that only 50% of the new battery can really be used :-(

    First, I cannot understand at all why anybody can figure out such an
    idiot function, because it means that "power saving" is stop working
    with the computer (well, this is somehow correct, but...). But second,
    I have to live with the fact that such an idiot lives anyway, and that
    a company like Toshiba implemented the nonsense.

    And I am afraid also with the fact that there is no way to get the
    second half of the battery fill usable on my eCS system! :-((

    Or does anybody have any hint or idea? One strange thing seems to be
    that a year ago the battery was working until lower than 50%
    correctly, although not very far before it was "empty" then. (Before
    that the computer was my office laptop at work that was running under
    Windows and was managed by the IT department.)

  2. Re: How to turn off power saver on Toshiba Tecra 9000?

    Are you able to configure your computer to use APM (and not ACPI) ?
    If there is nothing like that in BIOS then I fear you can do nothing.
    But if you can choose to use APM there might be a chance.

    Lars

    cbockem schrieb:
    > Running eCS 1.2 (de) on an about 5 years old Toshiba Tecra 9000. I had
    > to replace the battery after I had it for a year now, because it
    > didn't even have 50% of its original capacity left. Now the new
    > battery seems so far ok. BUT: The system has a really idiot "power
    > saver" function that works in four steps, depending on battery status,
    > 2 steps above and 2 below about 50% battery fill.
    >
    > If I boot into the Windows XP partition (which I only do if I really
    > need to and always after cutting all physical ways to get into the
    > internet, btw.), there is a "Toshiba power saver" tool that allows to
    > configure that function. "Normal" settings are: first two "steps" with
    > display lighting "4", then at 50% battery fill it goes down to "3",
    > then at some point to "2". I can change that to all "4" and the
    > computer is indeed functional, because everything below is not usable:
    > you can just guess what's written on the screen, but no way to really
    > work with it.
    >
    > The point is now that the changed settings do only work with Windows,
    > which is of little use to me! Then, the Toshiba support pointed me to
    > a "power saver" that seems to exist for Linux only. But so far I did
    > not find a way to get the settings changed also for eCS or OS/2! Which
    > actually means that only 50% of the new battery can really be used :-(
    >
    > First, I cannot understand at all why anybody can figure out such an
    > idiot function, because it means that "power saving" is stop working
    > with the computer (well, this is somehow correct, but...). But second,
    > I have to live with the fact that such an idiot lives anyway, and that
    > a company like Toshiba implemented the nonsense.
    >
    > And I am afraid also with the fact that there is no way to get the
    > second half of the battery fill usable on my eCS system! :-((
    >
    > Or does anybody have any hint or idea? One strange thing seems to be
    > that a year ago the battery was working until lower than 50%
    > correctly, although not very far before it was "empty" then. (Before
    > that the computer was my office laptop at work that was running under
    > Windows and was managed by the IT department.)

  3. Re: How to turn off power saver on Toshiba Tecra 9000?

    On 5 Mrz., 20:50, Lars Erdmann wrote:

    > Are you able to configure your computer to use APM (and not ACPI) ?

    No.

    > If there is nothing like that in BIOS then I fear you can do nothing.
    > But if you can choose to use APM there might be a chance.

    It's then probably indeed like you suppose (and I also already
    thought): There is nothing to do, at least for the moment! Maybe eCS
    could bring an opportunity with the new ACPI driver? But somebody
    would have to port (or rewrite) then also the "Power Saver" from
    Linux, that seems to do the job already there - at least that's what
    the Toshiba support told me, though I did not check.

    It remains a strange thing to have such a "power saving" feature by
    default in an unusable mode that has first to be made useable by the
    operating system! But of course not many will even realize that, so
    hardly anybody will complain... :-(

+ Reply to Thread