adding IDE DVD burner to SCSI system - OS2

This is a discussion on adding IDE DVD burner to SCSI system - OS2 ; since the CD burner died I've got a DVD burner on its way from NewEgg. two issues (only!): 1) it's IDE, since apparently they don't make SCSI anymore or at least they don't sell them for less than 5x the ...

  1. adding IDE DVD burner to SCSI system

    since the CD burner died I've got a DVD burner on its way from
    NewEgg. two issues (only!):

    1) it's IDE, since apparently they don't make SCSI anymore or at least
    they don't sell them for less than 5x the cost of IDE. however,
    everything on this box is (and has always been) SCSI. is there
    anything more to setting it up besides hooking up the cable to the
    motherboard -- does it matter slave/master

    2) naturally will be using Daniela's IDE drivers -- I'm presuming if I
    place them in config.sys without any statements it'll work just fine.
    is there anything else I need for OS/2 to recognize DVDs? will be
    awesome to be able to burn these all at once rather than having to
    burn 8 or 9 CDs to backup my system. is there something akin to CDIFS
    I'll need?

    rafe t.

  2. Re: adding IDE DVD burner to SCSI system

    rafe writes:

    > since the CD burner died I've got a DVD burner on its way from
    > NewEgg. two issues (only!):
    >
    > 1) it's IDE, since apparently they don't make SCSI anymore or at least
    > they don't sell them for less than 5x the cost of IDE. however,
    > everything on this box is (and has always been) SCSI.

    You could get yourself an ATAPI --> SCSI bridge and keep your system
    all SCSI.

  3. Re: adding IDE DVD burner to SCSI system

    On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:48:49 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "rafe"
    wrote:

    > since the CD burner died I've got a DVD burner on its way from
    > NewEgg. two issues (only!):
    >
    > 1) it's IDE, since apparently they don't make SCSI anymore or at least
    > they don't sell them for less than 5x the cost of IDE. however,
    > everything on this box is (and has always been) SCSI. is there
    > anything more to setting it up besides hooking up the cable to the
    > motherboard -- does it matter slave/master

    Just hook it up. Master would be best if it's your only IDE device.

    > 2) naturally will be using Daniela's IDE drivers -- I'm presuming if I
    > place them in config.sys without any statements it'll work just fine.
    > is there anything else I need for OS/2 to recognize DVDs? will be
    > awesome to be able to burn these all at once rather than having to
    > burn 8 or 9 CDs to backup my system. is there something akin to CDIFS
    > I'll need?

    You need

    BASEDEV=DANIS506.add /v
    BASEDEV=daniatapi.FLT

    You probably already have

    BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD /ALL
    device=h:\os2\mdos\vaspi.sys
    device=h:\os2\boot\aspirout.sys

    You may also want to install UDF and use DVD+/-RW disks and treat them as large
    removeable drives.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com