help with warp3 (red) installation? - OS2

This is a discussion on help with warp3 (red) installation? - OS2 ; I was given a older pc and since my warp 3 floppies have been sitting here for years, I thought I would install it onto the machine. I know about replacing ibm1s506.add and the ibmidecd.flt but when looking for the ...

  1. help with warp3 (red) installation?

    I was given a older pc and since my warp 3 floppies have been sitting here
    for years, I thought I would install it onto the machine. I know about
    replacing ibm1s506.add and the ibmidecd.flt but when looking for the
    ibm1s506.add file, I found that the smallest one is 55k! Is there a
    smaller/older version of that file that I can put on Disk1? This version
    does not have a cd to install...all floppies I know, glutton for
    punishment.
    Any help or ideas? I have spent nearly 2 days trying to get this to work
    by making a new disk1 from disk1.dsk, deleting files, etc. I even tried
    deleting tedit.exe and tedit.hlp but after going through the 6 disks and
    then the installation/disk 1 again, I get the "red screen of death" I
    removed the files listed on config.sys but that didn't help either.

    I don't want to give up on this. We even have 3 or 4 of the old os/2 game
    cd's that my wife would like to try again. Yes, I have warp4, but it's on
    this machine

    Thanks.
    Mike

  2. Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    Michael Endsley wrote:
    > I was given a older pc and since my warp 3 floppies have been sitting here
    > for years, I thought I would install it onto the machine. I know about
    > replacing ibm1s506.add and the ibmidecd.flt but when looking for the
    > ibm1s506.add file, I found that the smallest one is 55k! Is there a
    > smaller/older version of that file that I can put on Disk1? This version
    > does not have a cd to install...all floppies I know, glutton for
    > punishment.
    > Any help or ideas? I have spent nearly 2 days trying to get this to work
    > by making a new disk1 from disk1.dsk, deleting files, etc. I even tried
    > deleting tedit.exe and tedit.hlp but after going through the 6 disks and
    > then the installation/disk 1 again, I get the "red screen of death" I
    > removed the files listed on config.sys but that didn't help either.

    iirc when you add the line SETCOPYFROMFLOPPY=1 you must not delete any
    file on the disks or this red screen will appear.
    I always didn't add that line, deleted TEDIT.* and OSLOGO on disk 1 and
    after the textmode portion of the installation instead of rebooting I
    pressed F3 and copied the IBM1S506.ADD manually to the harddrive. If
    copying doesn't work it is likely that the file already on the harddisk
    has the readonly attribute set. Due to lack of ATTRIB at this stage of
    installtion simply rename the file.

  3. Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    In , on 02/17/2007
    at 11:00 PM, Guido Hörster said:

    >Michael Endsley wrote:
    >> I was given a older pc and since my warp 3 floppies have been sitting here
    >> for years, I thought I would install it onto the machine. I know about
    >> replacing ibm1s506.add and the ibmidecd.flt but when looking for the
    >> ibm1s506.add file, I found that the smallest one is 55k! Is there a
    >> smaller/older version of that file that I can put on Disk1? This version
    >> does not have a cd to install...all floppies I know, glutton for
    >> punishment.
    >> Any help or ideas? I have spent nearly 2 days trying to get this to work
    >> by making a new disk1 from disk1.dsk, deleting files, etc. I even tried
    >> deleting tedit.exe and tedit.hlp but after going through the 6 disks and
    >> then the installation/disk 1 again, I get the "red screen of death" I
    >> removed the files listed on config.sys but that didn't help either.
    >>

    >iirc when you add the line SETCOPYFROMFLOPPY=1 you must not delete any
    >file on the disks or this red screen will appear.
    >I always didn't add that line, deleted TEDIT.* and OSLOGO on disk 1 and
    >after the textmode portion of the installation instead of rebooting I
    >pressed F3 and copied the IBM1S506.ADD manually to the harddrive. If
    >copying doesn't work it is likely that the file already on the harddisk
    >has the readonly attribute set. Due to lack of ATTRIB at this stage of
    >installtion simply rename the file.

    Thanks. I will give that a try. I didn't know that about the "set
    copyfromfloppy=1" not being used.
    Everything I read said to write it..will let you know how it goes.

    Mike

    Michael Endsley

  4. Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    In <45d78d72$2$jnecfcrrq$mr2ice@news.cableone.net>, on 02/17/2007
    at 04:17 PM, Michael Endsley said:

    >In , on 02/17/2007
    > at 11:00 PM, Guido Hörster said:

    >>Michael Endsley wrote:
    >>> I was given a older pc and since my warp 3 floppies have been sitting here
    >>> for years, I thought I would install it onto the machine. I know about
    >>> replacing ibm1s506.add and the ibmidecd.flt but when looking for the
    >>> ibm1s506.add file, I found that the smallest one is 55k! Is there a
    >>> smaller/older version of that file that I can put on Disk1? This version
    >>> does not have a cd to install...all floppies I know, glutton for
    >>> punishment.
    >>> Any help or ideas? I have spent nearly 2 days trying to get this to work
    >>> by making a new disk1 from disk1.dsk, deleting files, etc. I even tried
    >>> deleting tedit.exe and tedit.hlp but after going through the 6 disks and
    >>> then the installation/disk 1 again, I get the "red screen of death" I
    >>> removed the files listed on config.sys but that didn't help either.
    >>>

    >>iirc when you add the line SETCOPYFROMFLOPPY=1 you must not delete any
    >>file on the disks or this red screen will appear.
    >>I always didn't add that line, deleted TEDIT.* and OSLOGO on disk 1 and
    >>after the textmode portion of the installation instead of rebooting I
    >>pressed F3 and copied the IBM1S506.ADD manually to the harddrive. If
    >>copying doesn't work it is likely that the file already on the harddisk
    >>has the readonly attribute set. Due to lack of ATTRIB at this stage of
    >>installtion simply rename the file.

    >Thanks. I will give that a try. I didn't know that about the "set
    >copyfromfloppy=1" not being used.
    > Everything I read said to write it..will let you know how it goes.

    >Mike

    Well, that didn't work either. Still got the "rsod".
    Any thing else to try. I may just have to give up.
    I found another ibm1s506.add and it was 68k! I think the original is
    either 27k or 29k.

    Mike

    Michael Endsley

  5. Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:42:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Michael Endsley
    wrote:

    > Well, that didn't work either. Still got the "rsod".
    > Any thing else to try. I may just have to give up.
    > I found another ibm1s506.add and it was 68k! I think the original is
    > either 27k or 29k.

    The safe thing to do is to truncate the files that are not needed, not delete
    them. If you

    echo "REM" >a:\aic7870.add
    echo "REM" >A:\aic7770.add

    then you should get enough space back to allow newer versions of
    ibm1/danis506.add to be used. The truncated files get copied and you can also
    REM the references to them in config.sys.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  6. Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    In , on 02/17/2007
    at 07:15 PM, "Trevor Hemsley"
    said:

    >On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:42:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Michael
    >Endsley wrote:

    >> Well, that didn't work either. Still got the "rsod".
    >> Any thing else to try. I may just have to give up.
    >> I found another ibm1s506.add and it was 68k! I think the original is
    >> either 27k or 29k.

    >The safe thing to do is to truncate the files that are not needed, not
    >delete them. If you

    >echo "REM" >a:\aic7870.add
    >echo "REM" >A:\aic7770.add

    >then you should get enough space back to allow newer versions of
    >ibm1/danis506.add to be used. The truncated files get copied and you can
    >also REM the references to them in config.sys.

    Thanks Trevor, I'll give that a try.

    Michael Endsley

  7. Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    Michael Endsley wrote:

    > I found another ibm1s506.add and it was 68k! I think the original is
    > either 27k or 29k.

    iirc the "first" IBM1S506.ADD which supported large Harddrives was about
    58000 bytes in length, even the one supplied with Warp4 (~55000 bytes)
    didn't work with large drives so it is unlikely that a 29kByte version
    will do.
    Perhaps you should give DANIS506.ADD a try - the easiest way would be to
    copy it as IBM1S506.ADD onto disk 1.

  8. Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    something else I just remembered:
    The original shipped versions of Warp3 have problems with systems above
    ~ 166 MHz, only versions shipped with the Warp Server were able to
    handle it out of the box. Have you tried installations with cache
    disabled? - this usually works.

    another thing:
    Can you select in the systems BIOS how large disks are translated
    (NORMAl, LARGE, LBA)? If so, make sure you selected LBA.

  9. Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    Sorry, Michael, I don't understand why you'd want to install an archaic
    version of OS/2. Why not get a current version, which I'd think would
    install on old hardware as well as newer stuff?

    But if you're determined to keep trying, why not find some 2.88 MB
    diskettes, which would allow you to replace most anything on the install
    diskettes?

  10. Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    On 2007-02-18, Colin Campbell wrote:
    > Sorry, Michael, I don't understand why you'd want to install an archaic
    > version of OS/2. Why not get a current version, which I'd think would
    > install on old hardware as well as newer stuff?
    >
    > But if you're determined to keep trying, why not find some 2.88 MB
    > diskettes, which would allow you to replace most anything on the install
    > diskettes?

    Rather simple reasoning (or so I thought):
    I have the version 3 floppies sitting here,
    I already have Warp4 on this machine, and I'm
    not working so I can't buy another system
    I also have the WarpUP cd to upgrade the system
    if I can get it installed.
    Right now, that may not work. I am beginning to think
    something is wrong with my original disk 1. I have made
    4 different copies with different floppies that I formatted.
    I have also tried using the disk1 on warpdoctor,
    but it is for a cd install.
    I tried deleting the files for that and installed files
    for floppy install, but I am also missing something or
    not doing something correctly on that try
    Now, it is almost a "I know I can do this" mentality that
    makes me keep trying since I don't have anything that is
    more "hair pulling" than this to do
    Thanks everybody for your help.
    Mike

  11. Some success Re: help with warp3 (red) installation?

    I found a old 364 meg hd (ibm dsaa-3360) in storage and did a good install
    on it. I at least know that my Disk1 is good.
    Basic install is 19.9 megs. I forgot how small it was.
    Oh well, I know the install works and I just have to change hd's if/when
    needed. Thanks everybody.
    Mike

    Michael Endsley