OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure - OS2 ; Hi, I have quite a few problems with OS/2 so I'll try to be brief. It all started when I tried to put OS/2 on my newly aquired gateway 650 essential: 4.1 gb hd 64 mg ram pentium III 650 ...

  1. OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure

    Hi, I have quite a few problems with OS/2 so I'll try to be brief.

    It all started when I tried to put OS/2 on my newly aquired gateway
    650 essential:
    4.1 gb hd
    64 mg ram
    pentium III 650
    ATAPI cdrom drive

    I thought that OS/2 would like this configuration. I was sadly
    mistaken.
    The first few boots it froze on disk 1 (the 2nd one) at the splash
    screen.
    After many restarts I managed to get to fdisk but it wouldn't
    recognise my hard drive saying that the starting track or something
    was corrupted and I was shown only 63 mb of space. I partitioned my hd
    with 2 fat16 segments. It worked for a time. Everything was horribly
    slow. I left it on overnight and it wasn't finished. It went read a
    little bit of data and spend 2 mins writing it to the hd. I then used
    the new updated setup disks with the new file that is meant to solve
    this problem, but I keep getting the message: S/2 cannot read the hard
    drive. Please restart or something.
    Is installing OS/2 a lost cause for me?

  2. Re: OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure

    geoffro@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi, I have quite a few problems with OS/2 so I'll try to be brief.
    >
    > It all started when I tried to put OS/2 on my newly aquired gateway
    > 650 essential:
    > 4.1 gb hd
    > 64 mg ram
    > pentium III 650
    > ATAPI cdrom drive
    >
    > I thought that OS/2 would like this configuration. I was sadly
    > mistaken.
    > The first few boots it froze on disk 1 (the 2nd one) at the splash
    > screen.
    > After many restarts I managed to get to fdisk but it wouldn't
    > recognise my hard drive saying that the starting track or something
    > was corrupted and I was shown only 63 mb of space. I partitioned my hd
    > with 2 fat16 segments. It worked for a time. Everything was horribly
    > slow. I left it on overnight and it wasn't finished. It went read a
    > little bit of data and spend 2 mins writing it to the hd. I then used
    > the new updated setup disks with the new file that is meant to solve
    > this problem, but I keep getting the message: S/2 cannot read the hard
    > drive. Please restart or something.
    > Is installing OS/2 a lost cause for me?

    Are you using a vanilla install. At a minimum you should get updated
    drivers for a large HD.

  3. Re: OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:28:54 -0800, geoffro wrote:

    > Hi, I have quite a few problems with OS/2 so I'll try to be brief.
    >
    > It all started when I tried to put OS/2 on my newly aquired gateway
    > 650 essential:
    > 4.1 gb hd
    > 64 mg ram
    > pentium III 650
    > ATAPI cdrom drive
    >
    > I thought that OS/2 would like this configuration. I was sadly
    > mistaken.
    > The first few boots it froze on disk 1 (the 2nd one) at the splash
    > screen.
    > After many restarts I managed to get to fdisk but it wouldn't
    > recognise my hard drive saying that the starting track or something
    > was corrupted and I was shown only 63 mb of space. I partitioned my hd
    > with 2 fat16 segments. It worked for a time. Everything was horribly
    > slow. I left it on overnight and it wasn't finished. It went read a
    > little bit of data and spend 2 mins writing it to the hd. I then used
    > the new updated setup disks with the new file that is meant to solve
    > this problem, but I keep getting the message: S/2 cannot read the hard
    > drive. Please restart or something.
    > Is installing OS/2 a lost cause for me?

    What partitions exist on the disk? If any were created by Win or Linux,
    they will probably screw up your partition table.

    What does the BIOS show for the disk size and mapping (NORMAL,LBA, LARGE)?
    I normally set mine to LBA by default.

    --
    Will Honea

  4. Re: OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure

    Well, the partition that did work was created by dos fdisk and I havnt
    been able to get my hands on a good tool like partition magic. Yes it
    is set to LBA.

  5. Re: OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure

    Well, the partition that did work was created by dos fdisk and I havnt
    been able to get my hands on a good tool like partition magic. Yes it
    is set to LBA.

  6. Re: OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure

    Well, the partition that did work was created by dos fdisk and I havnt
    been able to get my hands on a good tool like partition magic. Yes it
    is set to LBA.

  7. Re: OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure

    On 29 Jan 2007 14:28:54 -0800, geoffro@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, I have quite a few problems with OS/2 so I'll try to be brief.
    >
    > It all started when I tried to put OS/2 on my newly aquired gateway
    > 650 essential:
    > 4.1 gb hd
    > 64 mg ram
    > pentium III 650
    > ATAPI cdrom drive

    You've modified the install floppies to use the updated IDE drivers,
    right? It certainly won't work unless you've done that...

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  8. Re: OS/2 Warp 4 installation faliure

    http://www.warpdoctor.org/downloads.html

    And, it's possible the "newly acquired" computer has a bad hard drive,
    although it sounds like the installation diskettes aren't working for your
    configuration.

    I'm sending some additional information to your email address.

    geoffro@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, I have quite a few problems with OS/2 so I'll try to be brief.
    >
    > It all started when I tried to put OS/2 on my newly aquired gateway
    > 650 essential:
    > 4.1 gb hd
    > 64 mg ram
    > pentium III 650
    > ATAPI cdrom drive
    >
    > I thought that OS/2 would like this configuration. I was sadly
    > mistaken.
    > The first few boots it froze on disk 1 (the 2nd one) at the splash
    > screen.
    > After many restarts I managed to get to fdisk but it wouldn't
    > recognise my hard drive saying that the starting track or something
    > was corrupted and I was shown only 63 mb of space. I partitioned my hd
    > with 2 fat16 segments. It worked for a time. Everything was horribly
    > slow. I left it on overnight and it wasn't finished. It went read a
    > little bit of data and spend 2 mins writing it to the hd. I then used
    > the new updated setup disks with the new file that is meant to solve
    > this problem, but I keep getting the message: S/2 cannot read the hard
    > drive. Please restart or something.
    > Is installing OS/2 a lost cause for me?

+ Reply to Thread