XFree86/OS2 and ATi X850 - OS2

This is a discussion on XFree86/OS2 and ATi X850 - OS2 ; Folks, I've obtained a new machine with an ATi X850 card. Now the question is how to configure XFree86/OS2 4.5. xfree86 -configure creates a configuration file with the vesa driver. I downloaded the Linux driver package for XFree86 4.3 from ...

  1. XFree86/OS2 and ATi X850

    Folks,

    I've obtained a new machine with an ATi X850 card. Now the question is
    how to configure XFree86/OS2 4.5.

    xfree86 -configure creates a configuration file with the vesa driver.

    I downloaded the Linux driver package for XFree86 4.3 from ATi. This
    contains a module fglrx_drv.o but I guess I can't just use that, can I?

    --
    "I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

  2. Re: XFree86/OS2 and ATi X850

    Hi,

    Christian Hennecke schrieb:

    > Folks,
    >
    > I've obtained a new machine with an ATi X850 card. Now the question is
    > how to configure XFree86/OS2 4.5.
    >
    > xfree86 -configure creates a configuration file with the vesa driver.

    Yes, that's how it works. Or you can configure X with the vga driver.

    > I downloaded the Linux driver package for XFree86 4.3 from ATi.

    Why?

    > This
    > contains a module fglrx_drv.o but I guess I can't just use that, can I?

    Linux binary modules cannot used with XFree86 for OS/2.
    There are 2 ways to make use of the graphics adapter beyond vesa
    limitations:
    1. a PM-based XServer (HOBLink X11) or Java XServer (WeirdX)
    2. Using Windows with a commercial PC-XServer (WRQ Reflection) is the best
    solution, if you need OpenGL or 3D features.

    Regards
    Andreas Kohl

  3. Re: XFree86/OS2 and ATi X850

    On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:43:22 UTC, Andreas Kohl wrote:

    > > I've obtained a new machine with an ATi X850 card. Now the question is
    > > how to configure XFree86/OS2 4.5.
    > >
    > > xfree86 -configure creates a configuration file with the vesa driver.

    > Yes, that's how it works. Or you can configure X with the vga driver.
    >
    > > I downloaded the Linux driver package for XFree86 4.3 from ATi.

    > Why?

    Well, I'd rather be able to use a decent screen resolution at decent
    speed.

    > > This
    > > contains a module fglrx_drv.o but I guess I can't just use that, can I?

    > Linux binary modules cannot used with XFree86 for OS/2.

    AFAIK you *can*. Open a module from the XFree86/OS2 distribution in a
    hex editor. See the "ELF" string. I had no problems with the Linux
    mga_hal_drv.o module I downloaded from Matrox. But unfortunately, the
    ATi driver module seems to require some additional stuff.
    --
    "I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

+ Reply to Thread