Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys - OS2

This is a discussion on Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys - OS2 ; I've had a multiboot system working fine for many years using OS2's Boot Manager. Since it has been rather stable, I have expertise with and own only certain disk tools, and I may be rather rusty with some of those. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    I've had a multiboot system working fine for many years using OS2's
    Boot Manager. Since it has been rather stable, I have expertise with
    and own only certain disk tools, and I may be rather rusty with some of
    those. I'm planning a move to a larger disk 1 (all scsi, from 9GB to
    73GB). And I would like to add linux (Ubuntu) and maybe W2K (for
    compatibility with my employer).

    I have tried a couple of times, unsuccessfully to do this. I realize
    the order in which the operations are performed, and the use of the
    correct tools are very important, but I figure there is something I'm
    still missing.

    I could use some advice on the order to get this installed, hopefully,
    using the tools that I have and am already familiar with (the linux
    crowd will tell me to delete OS2 and BM and move directly to
    linuxland).

    My current setup:

    Physical Drive1 9GB
    Pri 1 IBM Boot Mgr (LVM) 7MB
    Pri 2 C: Win 98 FAT32 2GB
    empty space 2.5GB
    Log 1 F: ECS 1.0 system HPFS 1GB
    Log 2 G: ECS apps/data JFS(OS2) 2GB
    empty 1GB

    Physical Drive 2 18 GB
    Pri 1 D: WinXP NTFS 12GB
    Log 1 Data FAT32 6GB

    My planned setup:

    New Physical Drive1 73GB
    Pri 1 IBM Boot Mgr (LVM) 7MB
    Pri 2 C: Win 98 FAT32 2GB
    Pri 3 /boot ext3 100MB
    Pri 4 E: W2K NTFS 5GB
    Log 1 F: ECS 1.0 system HPFS 1GB
    Log 2 G: ECS apps/data HPFS(OS2) 2GB
    Log 3 /swap ext3 1.5GB
    Log 4 / (root) ext3 5GB
    plus assorted log partitions for data drives 56GB

    Physical Drive 2 18 GB
    Pri 1 D: WinXP NTFS 18GB

    Currently the XP boots when I choose Win98 from the Boot Manager, then
    get 2 choices from Win98 screen (I'm guessing the XP boot loader is on
    the Win98 partition, even though WinXP is on the second HD).

    I have Disk Image 2.0 which I've been using to back up my partitions
    since before Y2K. I planned to use this to establish the OS2/ECS
    partitions (either copy from the old HD or restore from a backup image
    file) on the new HD. I also have Partition Magic 4.0 and 8.0.

    In the past, I've used PM to establish and resize partitions, then
    follow with LVM to establish volumes and Boot Manager successfully, but
    recently I've decided to give up on PM8 altogether. This past summer I
    had to low level format an 80GB ATA HD to get rid of the PM8 muck
    before I could install W2K for my nephew's computer.

    I thought I could use PM4 or LVM to establish all partitions on the new
    drive (not necessarily formating them), use Disk Image to restore ECS
    and Windows 98, reseting the active partition each time, finally
    setting BM up after all OSes are installed.

    It didn't work. I'm not sure if it is because my first effort to the
    disk was using PM8. I may wind up doing low level format if I can't
    identify some other reason for some weird problems, like not getting a
    "install BM" option on the LVM screen.

    I've already resized the WinXP partition on disk 2 using PM8, so I
    realize I may have lost that one (I didn't back that up, it was for
    games and foolishness only).

    I would love to lighten my OS load, but each one seems to have some
    software or hardware I can't get to run on the others.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

  2. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I've had a multiboot system working fine for many years using OS2's
    > Boot Manager. Since it has been rather stable, I have expertise with
    > and own only certain disk tools, and I may be rather rusty with some of
    > those. I'm planning a move to a larger disk 1 (all scsi, from 9GB to
    > 73GB). And I would like to add linux (Ubuntu) and maybe W2K (for
    > compatibility with my employer).
    >
    > I have tried a couple of times, unsuccessfully to do this. I realize
    > the order in which the operations are performed, and the use of the
    > correct tools are very important, but I figure there is something I'm
    > still missing.

    > My planned setup:
    >
    > New Physical Drive1 73GB
    > Pri 1 IBM Boot Mgr (LVM) 7MB
    > Pri 2 C: Win 98 FAT32 2GB
    > Pri 3 /boot ext3 100MB
    > Pri 4 E: W2K NTFS 5GB
    > Log 1 F: ECS 1.0 system HPFS 1GB
    > Log 2 G: ECS apps/data HPFS(OS2) 2GB
    > Log 3 /swap ext3 1.5GB
    > Log 4 / (root) ext3 5GB
    > plus assorted log partitions for data drives 56GB

    Let's see: you can have only 4 primary partitions, but the extended
    partition (= the container that holds all the logical ones) is also a
    primary partition. So you have one primary to many there....

    1st suggestion: make /boot a logical partition.

    2nd suggestion: Install ECS first and use that to make all other
    partitions save the NTFS primary for Win2K & WinXP. Once you install
    Linux, you can use linux partitioning tools to change partition types
    appropriately.
    (BTW: didn't ECS 1.0 LVM have a bug - something to do with interfering
    with Windows volume management and vice versa?)

    Install Windozes as last OS-es; first Win98, then -2K, then -XP.
    If you don't and make or change partitions behind Win2K's or WinXP's
    back, chances are you cannot boot into them any more.
    Some time ago (Dec 12) I've posted a fix for this (to apply beforehand!)
    in NG ecomstation.support.install on news.ecomstation.org (hint: Google
    groups)

    BTW it may happen that Windows, at least during setup, doesn't like more
    than one primary partition of a type it can access natively.
    In that case one of your Windows partitions on drive 1 might have to be
    a logical one too. Most likely candidate would be Win2K.

    > Physical Drive 2 18 GB
    > Pri 1 D: WinXP NTFS 18GB

    > I would love to lighten my OS load, but each one seems to have some
    > software or hardware I can't get to run on the others.

    I see little advantage in having Win2K and WinXP together. OK, others on
    this NG may see no advantage in Windows at all :-) but 2K and XP are
    quite similar. I've used nLite (use Google) to tame WinXP and it
    "behaves" fairly reasonable. Most of the stupidity and bloat in XP can
    quite easily be disabled.

    Good luck,

    Philip

  3. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:59:57 UTC, anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've had a multiboot system working fine for many years using OS2's
    > Boot Manager. Since it has been rather stable, I have expertise with
    > and own only certain disk tools, and I may be rather rusty with some of
    > those. I'm planning a move to a larger disk 1 (all scsi, from 9GB to
    > 73GB). And I would like to add linux (Ubuntu) and maybe W2K (for
    > compatibility with my employer).
    >
    > My planned setup:
    >
    > New Physical Drive1 73GB
    > Pri 1 IBM Boot Mgr (LVM) 7MB
    > Pri 2 C: Win 98 FAT32 2GB
    > Pri 3 /boot ext3 100MB
    > Pri 4 E: W2K NTFS 5GB
    > Log 1 F: ECS 1.0 system HPFS 1GB
    > Log 2 G: ECS apps/data HPFS(OS2) 2GB
    > Log 3 /swap ext3 1.5GB
    > Log 4 / (root) ext3 5GB
    > plus assorted log partitions for data drives 56GB
    >
    > Physical Drive 2 18 GB
    > Pri 1 D: WinXP NTFS 18GB

    1. Mount the disk
    2. boot up from eCS CD
    3. fire up LVM
    create bootmanaager
    4. go into physical view
    5. create the partitons showing above
    plain partiotions please!
    beginning with the primary ones, follwed with the extended
    6. switch back to logical view
    7. create volumes for any _bootable_ partitons
    (create from existent partiton!)
    volume type: bootable, compatible
    assign the desired driveletter
    8. create volumes from existent partitons you'll like to see
    under eCS: type LVM, not compatible

    exit LVM with save.

    You'll format /L all eCS volumes now.

    A: Boot up linux install. Use the already existent partitons reserved
    for linux and assign the linux partiton types and mount them. Complete
    the install. Check that the installed system works.

    B: Boot up windows, format the windows partitons, install. Check that
    the installed system works.

    C: boot up eCS and install to the eCS system volume.

    The whole partitoning is to do with eCS! Formatting is to do with the
    OS that should use the partition/volume.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  4. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    Thanks to all for advice offered.

    LVM question: After setting up the hard drive, and going to save and
    exit, the cmd window is filled with endless
    "[A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:]" that fill
    the screen and continue writing (I can see the flicker at the bottom of
    the window as it scrolls imperceptibly and writes more "[A:][A:] . . .
    "

    I thought maybe it was just taking time to write everything to (what to
    me) is a large HD (73GB) so I let it run over night but by morning, its
    still writing and scrolling.

    Anyone ever seen this? Should I just close the window and continue?

    Thanks again.

    Herbert Rosenau wrote:

    > exit LVM with save.

  5. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On 2 Jan 2007 05:45:11 -0800, anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com
    wrote:

    > LVM question: After setting up the hard drive, and going to save and
    > exit, the cmd window is filled with endless
    > "[A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:]" that fill
    > the screen and continue writing (I can see the flicker at the bottom of
    > the window as it scrolls imperceptibly and writes more "[A:][A:] . . .
    > "
    >
    > I thought maybe it was just taking time to write everything to (what to
    > me) is a large HD (73GB) so I let it run over night but by morning, its
    > still writing and scrolling.
    >
    > Anyone ever seen this?

    Yes, this is a known problem. I think it's to do with an incorrect file
    handle for standard input (which should be the keyboard), probably because
    of some WPS or session manager bug.

    > Should I just close the window and continue?

    Yes.

  6. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    Tried following your instructions pretty closely. I decided to fresh
    installs, then consider restoring backups for Wind98 and ECS later when
    everything is working. With some detours for momentary insanity (HD
    stops working, CDrom stops working), I got pretty far. In the very
    end, everything works except linux won't boot from Boot Manager:

    > A: Boot up linux install. . . . Complete
    > the install. Check that the installed system works.

    Check!

    > B: Boot up windows, . . . install. Check that
    > the installed system works.

    Check!

    > C: boot up eCS and install to the eCS system volume.

    Check!

    eCS and Win98 start from BM fine, linux returns, "The partition is not
    formatted."

    I believe Ubuntu installed Grub rather than LILO.

    Any ideas?

    Herbert Rosenau wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:59:57 UTC, anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > I've had a multiboot system working fine for many years using OS2's
    > > Boot Manager. Since it has been rather stable, I have expertise with
    > > and own only certain disk tools, and I may be rather rusty with some of
    > > those. I'm planning a move to a larger disk 1 (all scsi, from 9GB to
    > > 73GB). And I would like to add linux (Ubuntu) and maybe W2K (for
    > > compatibility with my employer).
    > >
    > > My planned setup:
    > >
    > > New Physical Drive1 73GB
    > > Pri 1 IBM Boot Mgr (LVM) 7MB
    > > Pri 2 C: Win 98 FAT32 2GB
    > > Pri 3 /boot ext3 100MB
    > > Pri 4 E: W2K NTFS 5GB
    > > Log 1 F: ECS 1.0 system HPFS 1GB
    > > Log 2 G: ECS apps/data HPFS(OS2) 2GB
    > > Log 3 /swap ext3 1.5GB
    > > Log 4 / (root) ext3 5GB
    > > plus assorted log partitions for data drives 56GB
    > >
    > > Physical Drive 2 18 GB
    > > Pri 1 D: WinXP NTFS 18GB

    > 1. Mount the disk
    > 2. boot up from eCS CD
    > 3. fire up LVM
    > create bootmanaager
    > 4. go into physical view
    > 5. create the partitons showing above
    > plain partiotions please!
    > beginning with the primary ones, follwed with the extended
    > 6. switch back to logical view
    > 7. create volumes for any _bootable_ partitons
    > (create from existent partiton!)
    > volume type: bootable, compatible
    > assign the desired driveletter
    > 8. create volumes from existent partitons you'll like to see
    > under eCS: type LVM, not compatible
    >
    > exit LVM with save.
    >
    > You'll format /L all eCS volumes now.
    >
    > A: Boot up linux install. Use the already existent partitons reserved
    > for linux and assign the linux partiton types and mount them. Complete
    > the install. Check that the installed system works.
    >
    > B: Boot up windows, format the windows partitons, install. Check that
    > the installed system works.
    >
    > C: boot up eCS and install to the eCS system volume.
    >
    > The whole partitoning is to do with eCS! Formatting is to do with the
    > OS that should use the partition/volume.
    >
    > --
    > Tschau/Bye
    > Herbert
    >
    > Visit http://www.ecomstation.de the home of german eComStation
    > eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  7. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:45:11 UTC, anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Thanks to all for advice offered.
    >
    > LVM question: After setting up the hard drive, and going to save and
    > exit, the cmd window is filled with endless
    > "[A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:][A:]" that fill
    > the screen and continue writing (I can see the flicker at the bottom of
    > the window as it scrolls imperceptibly and writes more "[A:][A:] . . .
    > "
    >
    > I thought maybe it was just taking time to write everything to (what to
    > me) is a large HD (73GB) so I let it run over night but by morning, its
    > still writing and scrolling.
    >
    > Anyone ever seen this? Should I just close the window and continue?

    I've never seen that.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  8. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:10:47 UTC, anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Tried following your instructions pretty closely. I decided to fresh
    > installs, then consider restoring backups for Wind98 and ECS later when
    > everything is working. With some detours for momentary insanity (HD
    > stops working, CDrom stops working), I got pretty far. In the very
    > end, everything works except linux won't boot from Boot Manager:
    >
    > > A: Boot up linux install. . . . Complete
    > > the install. Check that the installed system works.

    > Check!
    >
    > > B: Boot up windows, . . . install. Check that
    > > the installed system works.

    > Check!
    >
    > > C: boot up eCS and install to the eCS system volume.

    > Check!
    >
    > eCS and Win98 start from BM fine, linux returns, "The partition is not
    > formatted."
    >
    > I believe Ubuntu installed Grub rather than LILO.

    Reinstall UBUNTU. You must let ubuntu format all drives, even /boot.
    You must use the manual way to fdisk as UBUNTO does not recognise OS/2
    and eCS.

    Be sure to meet the right partitons!

    ubuntu boots well with GRUB in /boot. My system is set up this way:

    IBM boot manager

    primary:
    C: W2K NTFS
    /dev/hda2 /boot ext2
    extended:
    D: W2K data, procs NTFS
    F: eCS system eCS HPFS
    E: ecs data eCS JFS
    G: eCS data eCS JFS
    /dev/hda9 / linux JFS
    /dev/hda10 /swap linux swap
    /dev/hda9 /
    /dev/hda10 /swap

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  9. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    I tried reinstalling ubuntu, with same result.

    I booted ecs, opened lvm deleted the /boot, swap, and / volumes. I
    created new /boot, swap, and / volumes but did not attempt to format
    them. I set /boot as startable.

    I booted the ubuntu live cd. I manually assigned and formated the
    partitions that were created under lvm with ubuntu's setup program. I
    installed ubuntu. It rebooted to ubuntu and it works. It tells me
    there are 66 updates available. I let them download and install. It
    reboots (I notice that Grub now has about 5 choices on the menu--I
    think it had two different kernals, a couple of archives and a "misc
    Microsoft OS" choice).

    I boot from the ecs cd, with lvm attempt to set BM as startable, but it
    is already set to startable. I boot the computer, BM lets me start
    ecs, win98, but ubuntu returns "disk not partitioned."

    I boot to ecs, open lvm attempt to set /boot as startable, but lvm
    doesn't let me.

    1. Is there another way for me to set /boot as the active partition so
    I can determine whether it is really still there, or whether the
    partition has become corrupted? Can I use fdisk from win98? If I boot
    with the ubuntu CD, I get an error message when I attempt to mount any
    of the linux partitions on the HD.

    2. Does BM have a problem with ext3 format (compared to ext2)? If so,
    is there a way for me to confirm my belief that ubuntu formated the
    /boot partition with ext3 format?

    3. Anyone believe the ubuntu updates may have caused this problem? I
    may attempt to reinstall and not download the updates before trying to
    access everything through BM.

    4. Is it advisable to delete the linux volumes with lvm, NOT create new
    volumes with lvm, go directly to unbuntu and after installation, go to
    ecs lvm to create volumes out of the unbuntu created partitions (I
    thought this was specifically inadvisable)?

    5. Any other suggested cures or diagnostic steps?

    Thanks

    Herbert Rosenau wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:10:47 UTC, anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > Reinstall UBUNTU. You must let ubuntu format all drives, even /boot.
    > You must use the manual way to fdisk as UBUNTO does not recognise OS/2
    > and eCS.
    >
    > Be sure to meet the right partitons!
    >
    > ubuntu boots well with GRUB in /boot. My system is set up this way:
    >
    > IBM boot manager
    >
    > primary:
    > C: W2K NTFS
    > /dev/hda2 /boot ext2
    > extended:
    > D: W2K data, procs NTFS
    > F: eCS system eCS HPFS
    > E: ecs data eCS JFS
    > G: eCS data eCS JFS
    > /dev/hda9 / linux JFS
    > /dev/hda10 /swap linux swap
    > /dev/hda9 /
    > /dev/hda10 /swap
    >
    > --
    > Tschau/Bye
    > Herbert
    >
    > Visit http://www.ecomstation.de the home of german eComStation
    > eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  10. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:38:55 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:

    > 5. Any other suggested cures or diagnostic steps?

    I had similar problems with LILO and Boot Manager and a partition that lies
    outside the first 1024 cylinders of the disk. When trying to boot a Linux
    partition from BM and the Linux partition was down around cylinder 6691 BM
    reported 'Partition not formatted'. I ended up installing LILO in the MBR and
    adding Boot Manager to its menu. Now LILO starts at boot time and gives me the
    choice of booting Linux or Boot Manager. If I choose Linux then it boots, if I
    choose BM then I get a Boot Manager menu with all the normal OS/2 etc partitions
    listed and all work.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  11. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On 2007/01/01 07:59 (GMT-0800) anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com apparently typed:

    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    1 - http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html as an overview of
    some practical basics of multiboot
    2 - SUSE or Mandriva. After considerable experimenting with it I don't
    understand why Ubuntu seems to be so popular.
    3 - DFSee - great tool in terms of power, compatibility, and author support.
    --
    "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
    John 10:10 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

  12. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    Thanks for the tip. I don't have prior experience with Linux, so I was
    hoping to avoid having to learn the ins and outs of placing the
    bootloader in other than the install routine's default location.
    However, it might not turn out that way.

    I took a look at the Ubuntu docs and noted under Grubhowto
    (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto) the following comments:
    "If /boot is mounted on another partition and you use update-grub, then
    you may run into problems . . . If /boot is mounted on another
    partition and you use update-grub, then you may run into problems . . .
    " I may try to install Ubuntu again, but check BM for each operating
    system before letting ubuntu download any updates. I ran out of time
    last night.

    If the above is my problem, another alternative I might try, is to put
    the /boot and root in a 6GB partition within the 1024 cylinder, and put
    my data files in a logical partition. With Win98 on a 1.5GB partition
    and eCS on a logical partition, I should have enough space to do that.

    If that fails, I'll have to check into where ubuntu was placing grub,
    and learn how to put it were I need it, following your model.

    Thanks.

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:38:55 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    > anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > 5. Any other suggested cures or diagnostic steps?

    > I had similar problems with LILO and Boot Manager and a partition that lies
    > outside the first 1024 cylinders of the disk. When trying to boot a Linux
    > partition from BM and the Linux partition was down around cylinder 6691 BM
    > reported 'Partition not formatted'. I ended up installing LILO in the MBR and
    > adding Boot Manager to its menu. Now LILO starts at boot time and gives me the
    > choice of booting Linux or Boot Manager. If I choose Linux then it boots, if I
    > choose BM then I get a Boot Manager menu with all the normal OS/2 etc partitions
    > listed and all work.
    >
    > --
    > Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    > Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  13. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    Thanks for the link. There'll be quite a lot of studying for me
    tonight.

    Felix Miata wrote:
    > On 2007/01/01 07:59 (GMT-0800) anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com apparently typed:
    >
    > > Thanks for any suggestions.

    > 1 - http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html as an overview of
    > some practical basics of multiboot
    > 2 - SUSE or Mandriva. After considerable experimenting with it I don't
    > understand why Ubuntu seems to be so popular.
    > 3 - DFSee - great tool in terms of power, compatibility, and author support.
    > --
    > "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
    > John 10:10 NIV
    >
    > Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
    >
    > Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

  14. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > I ended up installing LILO in the MBR and
    > adding Boot Manager to its menu. Now LILO starts at boot time and gives me the
    > choice of booting Linux or Boot Manager. If I choose Linux then it boots, if I
    > choose BM then I get a Boot Manager menu with all the normal OS/2 etc partitions
    > listed and all work.

    likewise here. I think DFSee has a way of fixing the BM-won't-boot-it
    problem, but either I couldn't get it to work or it required too much
    fussing, so when I installed SUSE 10.1 a couple months ago, I just let
    it put up its boot manager.

    with SUSE 9.1, I ended up using Veit Kannegieser's Vpart, which worked
    quite well, and seemed to be almost invisible to everything else (W98,
    OS/2) until the XP installation wiped it out. after that, I re-enabled
    BM, then installed SUSE 10.1 as above.

  15. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    I'm considering this strategy. How does one deal with BM--is it still
    marked as the "active" partition but the boot process sees the MBR and
    (in my case) Grub first automatically? Or rather, no partition is
    marked active?

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > reported 'Partition not formatted'. I ended up installing LILO in the MBR and
    > adding Boot Manager to its menu. Now LILO starts at boot time and gives me the
    > choice of booting Linux or Boot Manager. If I choose Linux then it boots, if I
    > choose BM then I get a Boot Manager menu with all the normal OS/2 etc partitions
    > listed and all work.
    >
    > --
    > Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    > Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  16. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 22:05:24 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I'm considering this strategy. How does one deal with BM--is it still
    > marked as the "active" partition but the boot process sees the MBR and
    > (in my case) Grub first automatically? Or rather, no partition is
    > marked active?

    LILO (and presumably GRUB) replace the MBR code with code of their own and these
    boot the boot loader they belong to. It then decides what to do. Both ignore the
    'active' flag and boot what they're told to as either their default choice,
    after some configurable timeout period, or the o/s that you select from their
    menu. BM counts as an 'o/s' as far as they're concerned. BM should still be
    marked as the active partition as it expects to be that way and then operates
    just as normal. You can still use it to boot anything that it successfully boots
    at present and just add the additional things to GRUB/LILO that BM will not
    handle. You have to add an 'other' section to LILO and tell it to boot the right
    partition number - not sure how GRUB handles it but it should have something
    similar.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  17. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:38:55 UTC, anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I tried reinstalling ubuntu, with same result.
    >
    > I booted ecs, opened lvm deleted the /boot, swap, and / volumes. I
    > created new /boot, swap, and / volumes but did not attempt to format
    > them. I set /boot as startable.
    >
    > I booted the ubuntu live cd. I manually assigned and formated the
    > partitions that were created under lvm with ubuntu's setup program. I
    > installed ubuntu. It rebooted to ubuntu and it works. It tells me
    > there are 66 updates available. I let them download and install. It
    > reboots (I notice that Grub now has about 5 choices on the menu--I
    > think it had two different kernals, a couple of archives and a "misc
    > Microsoft OS" choice).

    I'd downloaded and burned the network-Install CD. That is base install
    local and any package directly from the ubuntu server. I have DSL
    16000 flatrate, so download and install is no problem here.

    > I boot from the ecs cd, with lvm attempt to set BM as startable, but it
    > is already set to startable. I boot the computer, BM lets me start
    > ecs, win98, but ubuntu returns "disk not partitioned."

    Maybe your /boot is beyound the 1027 track limit. Shrink your windows
    C: to have room for /boot inside that limit.

    I've seen that error with debian, Red Hat, SuSE and even ubuntu one
    time. The problem was over when I started to assign partitons to linux
    in the order /boot, /, swap.

    That is:
    - boot from ubuntu CD
    - select manual partitioning
    without creating or changing the partiton layout!
    - assign /boot type ext2, format
    - assign / type JFS, format
    - assign swap

    It is critical to identify the right partition.

    Yes, eCS LVM sets the bootable partitons magically in the boot menue
    of BM when BM is already installed.

    select the packages you likes

    install GRUB to /boot,

    > I boot to ecs, open lvm attempt to set /boot as startable, but lvm
    > doesn't let me.

    Maybe you've assigned the wrong volume type:

    The volume type for /boot is: compatible, bootable.
    You must LVMing it - so you have to assign a drive letter of your
    choice to have it visible to eCS. When /boot is visible in BM you can
    use LVM to hide it from eCS. That gives you the drive letter back for
    other usage, e.g. PEER.

    > 1. Is there another way for me to set /boot as the active partition so
    > I can determine whether it is really still there, or whether the
    > partition has become corrupted? Can I use fdisk from win98?

    No, never use fdisk of any other system! You'll use fdisk of linux to
    assign the linux partiton types only.

    If I boot
    > with the ubuntu CD, I get an error message when I attempt to mount any
    > of the linux partitions on the HD.

    There is no need to mount them explicity. The ubuntu installer is
    intelligent enouth to do the mounting alone. You must only assign the
    partitons /boot, / and swap to the right partition type and let them
    format. You may assign /usr, and so on explicity but that makes only
    sense when you have multiple hard disks and they should go to another
    hard disk as / is on.

    > 2. Does BM have a problem with ext3 format (compared to ext2)? If so,
    > is there a way for me to confirm my belief that ubuntu formated the
    > /boot partition with ext3 format?
    >
    > 3. Anyone believe the ubuntu updates may have caused this problem? I
    > may attempt to reinstall and not download the updates before trying to
    > access everything through BM.

    I have not tried that because /boot is only used during boot up or
    when you have a need to play around with the kernel and/or the
    settings of GRUB.

    > 4. Is it advisable to delete the linux volumes with lvm, NOT create new
    > volumes with lvm, go directly to unbuntu and after installation, go to
    > ecs lvm to create volumes out of the unbuntu created partitions (I
    > thought this was specifically inadvisable)?

    No! linux fdisk is incompatible with LVM and OS/2 fdisk. You end up
    easily with a defektive disk layout. Yes - but only if you are knows
    what you are doing exactly because linux fdisk is more flexible as LVM
    or fdisk of othjer systems you ends up easily with something that does
    not match with the requirements of DOS, Windows, OS/2 and eCS.

    You can't use windows fdisk because it does never match the
    requirements of LVM and can even destroy the requirements of OS/2. On
    OS/2 up to 4.50 you must use OS/2 fdisk. On OS/2 4.51 and eCS you MUST
    use LVM to do all partitioning.

    To be sure anything works as you likes you should create partitons in
    physical view and create volumes from already existent partitons only.
    Creating a mixup of primary and extended partitons as a possible
    result when you creates volumes directly from fee space may be the
    result. And that ends up with a lot of problems either with OS/2, eCS
    and other systems.

    > 5. Any other suggested cures or diagnostic steps?

    No.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  18. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com schrieb:

    > 2. Does BM have a problem with ext3 format (compared to ext2)?

    No.

    I have all my Linux partition formatted with ext3,
    but I also have my /boot partion below the 1024 cylinder limit.

    In fact BM doesn't care for the file system.
    It loads the first sector to a specified memory location adjust some
    cpu register and then jumps to the memory location.

    Hendrik

  19. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    Herbert Rosenau schrieb:

    > Maybe your /boot is beyound the 1027 track limit. Shrink your windows
    > C: to have room for /boot inside that limit.

    In fact it is a 1024 (=2^10) limit.

    > - assign / type JFS, format

    Better use also ext3 for all other linux partitions.

    Hendrik

  20. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:11:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Hendrik Schmieder
    wrote:

    > Herbert Rosenau schrieb:
    > >
    > > Maybe your /boot is beyound the 1027 track limit. Shrink your windows
    > > C: to have room for /boot inside that limit.

    > In fact it is a 1024 (=2^10) limit.

    And is not a limit for anyone with INT13 extensions support in their BIOS and a
    convenience pack or later OS/2. That's most hardware less than 5 years old and
    most OS/2's newer than about 2002.