Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys - OS2

This is a discussion on Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys - OS2 ; This is what I understood, and with a new 73GB hard drive, I was hoping to have my ecs logical partition well beyond the 1024 cylinder. However, last night, for the 40th time (arrrghph!) I tried setting up my hard ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

  1. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    This is what I understood, and with a new 73GB hard drive, I was hoping
    to have my ecs logical partition well beyond the 1024 cylinder.
    However, last night, for the 40th time (arrrghph!) I tried setting up
    my hard drive with LVM to another round of trying to make this work,
    but when I attempted to use an existing partition (just made moments
    early under physical view) form my ecs bootable volume, that partition
    would not appear as a choice on the menu. Suspecting some 1024
    nonsense going on, I created a partition under the 1024th cylinder and,
    lo and behold, the latest ecs boot partition under the 1024th cylinder
    now presents itself as a choice. I did choose the INT13 support when
    using the advanced ecs boot cd screen (however, my motherboard is a
    PIII 500; maybe that could be a source of much of my headaches in this
    thread?).

    Also, I continued after making the volume, and instead of installing, I
    restored a Disk Image (version 2.0) backup of my most recent ecs
    installation. It booted from BM! I'm happy. However, my apps/data
    drive had been on a JFS partition which Disk Image couldn't handle, so
    it was backed up by merely copying all the folders to a CD. After
    copying them back to what is now a HPFS partition (same drive letter as
    before) I get some strange error messages (when attempting to close a
    Lotus spreadsheet without saving, I get a file/process not found
    message, which returns me to the "want to save?" prompt, but I was
    unable to close the program because of this.

    I was really hoping to avoid having to recreate 6-7 years worth of
    desktop settings and software installs that my backup represents, but
    now I'm not certain I can avoid it.

    Thanks again to all for your comments and guidance.


    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >
    > And is not a limit for anyone with INT13 extensions support in their BIOS and a
    > convenience pack or later OS/2. That's most hardware less than 5 years old and
    > most OS/2's newer than about 2002.
    >
    > --
    > Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    > Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com



  2. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    Well the "Error: Unable to store system options" and "An unexpected OLE
    error occurred" messages are probably due to the fact that every file
    on my apps/data partition, copied from a cd backup is now read-only.
    grrrgh.


    anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:

    my apps/data
    > drive had been on a JFS partition which Disk Image couldn't handle, so
    > it was backed up by merely copying all the folders to a CD. After
    > copying them back to what is now a HPFS partition (same drive letter as
    > before) I get some strange error messages (when attempting to close a
    > Lotus spreadsheet without saving, I get a file/process not found
    > message, which returns me to the "want to save?" prompt, but I was
    > unable to close the program because of this.
    >



  3. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to

    ], who wrote in article <1168116429.468158.140250@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>:
    > Well the "Error: Unable to store system options" and "An unexpected OLE
    > error occurred" messages are probably due to the fact that every file
    > on my apps/data partition, copied from a cd backup is now read-only.
    > grrrgh.


    Forget about this. You need start from scratch.

    The only way I know to be absolutely sure, is to zip (by parts if necessary):

    zip -rS ZIPNAME x:/ -x x:/trash1 -x x:/trash2 2>&1 | tee 00zip_log0
    zip -rS ZIPNAME_TRASH x:/trash1 x:/trash2 2>&1 | tee 00zip_log1

    (on OS/2 machine), (and

    zip -rS$! ZIPNAME x:/ -x x:/trash1 -x x:/trash2 2>&1 | tee 00zip_log0
    etc

    on Win* machine). Then (at least for a boot partition)

    grep -B1 -v adding: 00zip_log* > 00zip_errors

    manually extract names of locked files from 00zip_errors to
    00zip_locked, and do

    zip -@ ZIPNAME_LOCKED < 00zip_locked

    WHEN BOOTED FROM A DIFFERENT PARTITION.

    This way you get all the information stored correctly.

    ------------------------

    Both OS/2 and Win can be restored by "simply unzipping" to partitions
    of the same name. With Win there is an additional holoymes that if
    PARTITION NUMBERS changed, one needs to edit numbers in c:/boot.ini
    file. I expect that the usual recipe of

    * Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
    * Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
    * Delete/rename the C:\Boot.ini file
    * Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
    * Run Fixboot

    should be enough, but I finished doing it the hard way (do not even
    ask ;-) :-(.

    -------------------------

    Of course, it goes without saying that the partitions should be
    created by OS/2, the bootable OS/2 partition should be formatted by
    OS/2 (or sysinstx'ed), and the bootable WIN partition should be
    formatted by WIN (or WHAT? How to fix a bootrecord on WIN partition
    without reformat?). So one needs a way to start OS/2 and Win on the
    computer with the new disk. Best choice is to have installation CD
    for Win, and bootable floppies for OS/2 (I found it the hard way that
    bootCDs rarely work when you REALLY NEED it...).

    --------------------------

    One can also zip to STDOUT (except for -@ ???), and pipe to netcat so
    that the zip is created on a different computer. Handy if one is
    short of space on THIS computer.

    [Of course, netcat is very borken; but for myself, I wrote short
    Perl scripts netcat_get and netcat_put which work fine.]

    The defect of the recipe above is that I know no way to UNZIP from a
    pipe (without writing my own "my_unzip" - should be easy in Perl,
    though). So one needs to either have enough space on the NEW disk to
    store the ZIPs (via netcat again), or a way to burn them to
    CD/DVD/memory-stick on at least one computer on network.

    On the other hand, I'm sure that the situation when BOTH of these
    conditions are not available should be very rare nowadays...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  4. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    I got everything working. Thanks to all in this thread for your help
    and patience.

    I lucked out and happened to have another data partition backup on an
    external hard disk I bought just before Christmas, so the read-only
    file problem is gone.

    My OS/2 and Win98 boot partitions were backed up using Disk Image 2.0.
    so those reinstalled perfectly (unfortunately the program is showing
    its age-it won't handle XP, it can't restore from CD or any file format
    besides FAT and because it boots from a DOS diskette, it has the same
    problem with the 1024 cylinder that my computer has, see next).

    I had to install OS/2 inside the 1024 cylinder. My MB bios is dated
    1999 (a Gigabyte baby AT that handles PII 500 and 1GB memory). I
    thought the OS/2 LVM solution would allow me beyond the 1024, but after
    a half dozen installs, I kept moving the partition further and further
    up the disk until OS/2 appears includable on the BM menu.

    Because of problems with Ubuntu's auto update tool, I decided to leave
    grub on the MBR. I tested a adding IBM BM to the grub menu on a grub
    boot floopy. Once I got that working, I edited grub that boots from
    the MBR.

    I feel like a heel, having to ask for linux install assistance in an
    OS/2 newsgroup, but the linux forums have no idea of how to make OS/2
    coexist with linux ("Is that still around?" "Why would you want to keep
    using OS/2").

    I've always gotten fantastic assistance from the OS/2 newsgroups, so
    one more big hearty THANKS!

    Call me Happy Camper


    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to
    >
    > ], who wrote in article <1168116429.468158.140250@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>:
    > > Well the "Error: Unable to store system options" and "An unexpected OLE
    > > error occurred" messages are probably due to the fact that every file
    > > on my apps/data partition, copied from a cd backup is now read-only.
    > > grrrgh.

    >
    > Forget about this. You need start from scratch.
    >
    > The only way I know to be absolutely sure, is to zip (by parts if necessary):
    >
    > zip -rS ZIPNAME x:/ -x x:/trash1 -x x:/trash2 2>&1 | tee 00zip_log0
    > zip -rS ZIPNAME_TRASH x:/trash1 x:/trash2 2>&1 | tee 00zip_log1
    >
    > (on OS/2 machine), (and
    >
    > zip -rS$! ZIPNAME x:/ -x x:/trash1 -x x:/trash2 2>&1 | tee 00zip_log0
    > etc
    >
    > on Win* machine). Then (at least for a boot partition)
    >
    > grep -B1 -v adding: 00zip_log* > 00zip_errors
    >
    > manually extract names of locked files from 00zip_errors to
    > 00zip_locked, and do
    >
    > zip -@ ZIPNAME_LOCKED < 00zip_locked
    >
    > WHEN BOOTED FROM A DIFFERENT PARTITION.
    >
    > This way you get all the information stored correctly.
    >
    > ------------------------
    >
    > Both OS/2 and Win can be restored by "simply unzipping" to partitions
    > of the same name. With Win there is an additional holoymes that if
    > PARTITION NUMBERS changed, one needs to edit numbers in c:/boot.ini
    > file. I expect that the usual recipe of
    >
    > * Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
    > * Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
    > * Delete/rename the C:\Boot.ini file
    > * Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
    > * Run Fixboot
    >
    > should be enough, but I finished doing it the hard way (do not even
    > ask ;-) :-(.
    >
    > -------------------------
    >
    > Of course, it goes without saying that the partitions should be
    > created by OS/2, the bootable OS/2 partition should be formatted by
    > OS/2 (or sysinstx'ed), and the bootable WIN partition should be
    > formatted by WIN (or WHAT? How to fix a bootrecord on WIN partition
    > without reformat?). So one needs a way to start OS/2 and Win on the
    > computer with the new disk. Best choice is to have installation CD
    > for Win, and bootable floppies for OS/2 (I found it the hard way that
    > bootCDs rarely work when you REALLY NEED it...).
    >
    > --------------------------
    >
    > One can also zip to STDOUT (except for -@ ???), and pipe to netcat so
    > that the zip is created on a different computer. Handy if one is
    > short of space on THIS computer.
    >
    > [Of course, netcat is very borken; but for myself, I wrote short
    > Perl scripts netcat_get and netcat_put which work fine.]
    >
    > The defect of the recipe above is that I know no way to UNZIP from a
    > pipe (without writing my own "my_unzip" - should be easy in Perl,
    > though). So one needs to either have enough space on the NEW disk to
    > store the ZIPs (via netcat again), or a way to burn them to
    > CD/DVD/memory-stick on at least one computer on network.
    >
    > On the other hand, I'm sure that the situation when BOTH of these
    > conditions are not available should be very rare nowadays...
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Ilya



  5. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:06:32 UTC, anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I got everything working. Thanks to all in this thread for your help
    > and patience.
    >
    > I lucked out and happened to have another data partition backup on an
    > external hard disk I bought just before Christmas, so the read-only
    > file problem is gone.
    >
    > My OS/2 and Win98 boot partitions were backed up using Disk Image 2.0.
    > so those reinstalled perfectly (unfortunately the program is showing
    > its age-it won't handle XP, it can't restore from CD or any file format
    > besides FAT and because it boots from a DOS diskette, it has the same
    > problem with the 1024 cylinder that my computer has, see next).
    >
    > I had to install OS/2 inside the 1024 cylinder. My MB bios is dated
    > 1999 (a Gigabyte baby AT that handles PII 500 and 1GB memory). I
    > thought the OS/2 LVM solution would allow me beyond the 1024, but after
    > a half dozen installs, I kept moving the partition further and further
    > up the disk until OS/2 appears includable on the BM menu.


    Until the system is booted up there is no driver that can control
    access to a device. So whenever the BIOS does not support booting from
    above zylinder 1024 the whole boot partiton has to be completely
    inside that limit.

    The boot process:
    - power on, BIOS starts
    - read primary master boot sector
    - if it is executeable run it
    - the master boot sector contains a routine that is searching
    for the first primary partiton that is bootabe
    - read the boot sector of that partiton and call it
    - that will find the boot loader and call it
    - the boot loader finds the OS loader and call it
    - the OS loader will load the kernel and call it
    - the kernel will load the drivers and then
    switch from 16 bit real mode to 32 bit virtual mode
    as assigned in config.sys
    - the kernel will search the drivers and call them
    to get them initialised
    - now the disk is under control of the driver, not the BIOS.
    - fire up the init process
    startup logical drivers, and so on....

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    Visit http://www.ecomstation.de the home of german eComStation
    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  6. Re: Replace HD and add OSes to Multiboot sys

    General follow-up

    1) If you possibly can upadte the BIOS I would (only trouble in store in
    future if you do not)

    2) You may need to update the MDR using DFSEE to make sure that OS2 can
    boot about 1024

    3) I thoroughly recommend Partition Manager for use in copying and
    manipulating partitions. There is a version that runs free standing
    (they supply an ISO image to write to a CD) and the main version runs
    under Windows BUT it completely understands HPFS.

    I do not recommend Partition Magic at all; I used to use it a lot and
    regularly had scrambled discs,

    The combination of Partition Manager for the things it does best (good
    GUI interface for partition management) and DFSEE for what it does best
    is unbeatable IMHO.

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, anandpursahibwale@yahoo.com wrote:

    :>I got everything working. Thanks to all in this thread for your help
    :>and patience.
    :>
    :>I lucked out and happened to have another data partition backup on an
    :>external hard disk I bought just before Christmas, so the read-only
    :>file problem is gone.
    :>
    :>My OS/2 and Win98 boot partitions were backed up using Disk Image 2.0.
    :>so those reinstalled perfectly (unfortunately the program is showing
    :>its age-it won't handle XP, it can't restore from CD or any file format
    :>besides FAT and because it boots from a DOS diskette, it has the same
    :>problem with the 1024 cylinder that my computer has, see next).
    :>
    :>I had to install OS/2 inside the 1024 cylinder. My MB bios is dated
    :>1999 (a Gigabyte baby AT that handles PII 500 and 1GB memory). I
    :>thought the OS/2 LVM solution would allow me beyond the 1024, but after
    :>a half dozen installs, I kept moving the partition further and further
    :>up the disk until OS/2 appears includable on the BM menu.
    :>
    :>Because of problems with Ubuntu's auto update tool, I decided to leave
    :>grub on the MBR. I tested a adding IBM BM to the grub menu on a grub
    :>boot floopy. Once I got that working, I edited grub that boots from
    :>the MBR.
    :>
    :>I feel like a heel, having to ask for linux install assistance in an
    :>OS/2 newsgroup, but the linux forums have no idea of how to make OS/2
    :>coexist with linux ("Is that still around?" "Why would you want to keep
    :>using OS/2").
    :>
    :>I've always gotten fantastic assistance from the OS/2 newsgroups, so
    :>one more big hearty THANKS!
    :>
    :>Call me Happy Camper
    :>
    :>
    :>Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    :>> [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to
    :>>
    :>> ], who wrote in article <1168116429.468158.140250@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>:
    :>> > Well the "Error: Unable to store system options" and "An unexpected OLE
    :>> > error occurred" messages are probably due to the fact that every file
    :>> > on my apps/data partition, copied from a cd backup is now read-only.
    :>> > grrrgh.
    :>>
    :>> Forget about this. You need start from scratch.
    :>>
    :>> The only way I know to be absolutely sure, is to zip (by parts if necessary):
    :>>
    :>> zip -rS ZIPNAME x:/ -x x:/trash1 -x x:/trash2 2>&1 | tee 00zip_log0
    :>> zip -rS ZIPNAME_TRASH x:/trash1 x:/trash2 2>&1 | tee 00zip_log1
    :>>
    :>> (on OS/2 machine), (and
    :>>
    :>> zip -rS$! ZIPNAME x:/ -x x:/trash1 -x x:/trash2 2>&1 | tee 00zip_log0
    :>> etc
    :>>
    :>> on Win* machine). Then (at least for a boot partition)
    :>>
    :>> grep -B1 -v adding: 00zip_log* > 00zip_errors
    :>>
    :>> manually extract names of locked files from 00zip_errors to
    :>> 00zip_locked, and do
    :>>
    :>> zip -@ ZIPNAME_LOCKED < 00zip_locked
    :>>
    :>> WHEN BOOTED FROM A DIFFERENT PARTITION.
    :>>
    :>> This way you get all the information stored correctly.
    :>>
    :>> ------------------------
    :>>
    :>> Both OS/2 and Win can be restored by "simply unzipping" to partitions
    :>> of the same name. With Win there is an additional holoymes that if
    :>> PARTITION NUMBERS changed, one needs to edit numbers in c:/boot.ini
    :>> file. I expect that the usual recipe of
    :>>
    :>> * Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
    :>> * Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
    :>> * Delete/rename the C:\Boot.ini file
    :>> * Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
    :>> * Run Fixboot
    :>>
    :>> should be enough, but I finished doing it the hard way (do not even
    :>> ask ;-) :-(.
    :>>
    :>> -------------------------
    :>>
    :>> Of course, it goes without saying that the partitions should be
    :>> created by OS/2, the bootable OS/2 partition should be formatted by
    :>> OS/2 (or sysinstx'ed), and the bootable WIN partition should be
    :>> formatted by WIN (or WHAT? How to fix a bootrecord on WIN partition
    :>> without reformat?). So one needs a way to start OS/2 and Win on the
    :>> computer with the new disk. Best choice is to have installation CD
    :>> for Win, and bootable floppies for OS/2 (I found it the hard way that
    :>> bootCDs rarely work when you REALLY NEED it...).
    :>>
    :>> --------------------------
    :>>
    :>> One can also zip to STDOUT (except for -@ ???), and pipe to netcat so
    :>> that the zip is created on a different computer. Handy if one is
    :>> short of space on THIS computer.
    :>>
    :>> [Of course, netcat is very borken; but for myself, I wrote short
    :>> Perl scripts netcat_get and netcat_put which work fine.]
    :>>
    :>> The defect of the recipe above is that I know no way to UNZIP from a
    :>> pipe (without writing my own "my_unzip" - should be easy in Perl,
    :>> though). So one needs to either have enough space on the NEW disk to
    :>> store the ZIPs (via netcat again), or a way to burn them to
    :>> CD/DVD/memory-stick on at least one computer on network.
    :>>
    :>> On the other hand, I'm sure that the situation when BOTH of these
    :>> conditions are not available should be very rare nowadays...
    :>>
    :>> Hope this helps,
    :>> Ilya
    :>
    :>

    --
    Barry Landy Email: Remove nospam in from address
    192, Gilbert Road, Cambridge CB4 3PB










+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2