Want Back In - OS2

This is a discussion on Want Back In - OS2 ; A number of years ago, I had to leave my favorite OS because of small business needs, but that has flamed out, and I want this windows stuff off my computer. I used OS/2 for over ten years, and boy, ...

  1. Want Back In

    A number of years ago, I had to leave my favorite OS because of small
    business needs, but that has flamed out, and I want this windows stuff
    off my computer.

    I used OS/2 for over ten years, and boy, do I miss it...... I don't
    want eCs, and I think they should be ashamed of themselves for the
    price they charge for their product, so I want to go back to Warp 4,
    and build it back up to whatever is the max configuration I can get
    through Fixpak 15.

    My question involves the TCPIP stack and other fixpak stuff that I
    don't think is in FP15 anymore.

    I have my system archived, and can just copy it over to my system
    drive, and I will be back in business (ain't OS/2 great? ) but when
    I last used it a few years ago, I was stumped on the 32bit TCPIP stack
    upgrade, and was unable to connect to a broadband cable connection.
    That is one reason I had to move off it, so I could set up my
    business, and use the web.

    I can muddle through most everything, but the broadband networking
    really ticked me off, I was told I could not get there unless I bought
    eCS, which simply cannot be true, so I am back, and would really
    appreciate any pointers, faqs, or instructions as to how to go about
    upgrading my system to the max I can get, still on Warp 4, with a
    broadband connection, and no, I do not want to use eCS at this point in
    time. See above position on ridiculous pricing.

    The truth is, I own eCS 1.0, never used it, and have no idea what my
    license number is or how to go about getting it, having bought it from
    Prizm Dataworks, a very long time ago. I didn't care for the LVM stuff,
    and so I shelved it, and stayed with good old Warp4. I'd like to come
    back :-)

    Anyway, that is where I am at, can I get a little assistance about
    where to find what I need to bring this all up to date?

    I sure appreciate it very much.

    John

  2. Re: Want Back In

    I think you should start with MCP2(Merlin Convenience pack 2) Or if it
    is server you need then ACP2(Aurora Convenience pack 2). But these both
    have LVM so you have to learn how to use it. These are basically OS/2
    versions 4.52 and have a lot of updates and new features over V4.0 Like
    USB support, LVM, JFS(Journalized File system). And also Boot from CD
    and support for big hds straight away etc. You need at least 2 cds to
    install system Boot and Install (CD2 and CD1)

    Tero

    John wrote:
    > A number of years ago, I had to leave my favorite OS because of small
    > business needs, but that has flamed out, and I want this windows stuff
    > off my computer.
    >
    > I used OS/2 for over ten years, and boy, do I miss it...... I don't
    > want eCs, and I think they should be ashamed of themselves for the
    > price they charge for their product, so I want to go back to Warp 4,
    > and build it back up to whatever is the max configuration I can get
    > through Fixpak 15.
    >
    > My question involves the TCPIP stack and other fixpak stuff that I
    > don't think is in FP15 anymore.
    >
    > I have my system archived, and can just copy it over to my system
    > drive, and I will be back in business (ain't OS/2 great? ) but when
    > I last used it a few years ago, I was stumped on the 32bit TCPIP stack
    > upgrade, and was unable to connect to a broadband cable connection.
    > That is one reason I had to move off it, so I could set up my
    > business, and use the web.
    >
    > I can muddle through most everything, but the broadband networking
    > really ticked me off, I was told I could not get there unless I bought
    > eCS, which simply cannot be true, so I am back, and would really
    > appreciate any pointers, faqs, or instructions as to how to go about
    > upgrading my system to the max I can get, still on Warp 4, with a
    > broadband connection, and no, I do not want to use eCS at this point in
    > time. See above position on ridiculous pricing.
    >
    > The truth is, I own eCS 1.0, never used it, and have no idea what my
    > license number is or how to go about getting it, having bought it from
    > Prizm Dataworks, a very long time ago. I didn't care for the LVM stuff,
    > and so I shelved it, and stayed with good old Warp4. I'd like to come
    > back :-)
    >
    > Anyway, that is where I am at, can I get a little assistance about
    > where to find what I need to bring this all up to date?
    >
    > I sure appreciate it very much.
    >
    > John

  3. Re: Want Back In

    And OS/2 updates can be found here:

    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne...._contents.html
    PLS note that you cant update v4.0 to 4.5x

    Tero

    John wrote:
    > A number of years ago, I had to leave my favorite OS because of small
    > business needs, but that has flamed out, and I want this windows stuff
    > off my computer.
    >
    > I used OS/2 for over ten years, and boy, do I miss it...... I don't
    > want eCs, and I think they should be ashamed of themselves for the
    > price they charge for their product, so I want to go back to Warp 4,
    > and build it back up to whatever is the max configuration I can get
    > through Fixpak 15.
    >
    > My question involves the TCPIP stack and other fixpak stuff that I
    > don't think is in FP15 anymore.
    >
    > I have my system archived, and can just copy it over to my system
    > drive, and I will be back in business (ain't OS/2 great? ) but when
    > I last used it a few years ago, I was stumped on the 32bit TCPIP stack
    > upgrade, and was unable to connect to a broadband cable connection.
    > That is one reason I had to move off it, so I could set up my
    > business, and use the web.
    >
    > I can muddle through most everything, but the broadband networking
    > really ticked me off, I was told I could not get there unless I bought
    > eCS, which simply cannot be true, so I am back, and would really
    > appreciate any pointers, faqs, or instructions as to how to go about
    > upgrading my system to the max I can get, still on Warp 4, with a
    > broadband connection, and no, I do not want to use eCS at this point in
    > time. See above position on ridiculous pricing.
    >
    > The truth is, I own eCS 1.0, never used it, and have no idea what my
    > license number is or how to go about getting it, having bought it from
    > Prizm Dataworks, a very long time ago. I didn't care for the LVM stuff,
    > and so I shelved it, and stayed with good old Warp4. I'd like to come
    > back :-)
    >
    > Anyway, that is where I am at, can I get a little assistance about
    > where to find what I need to bring this all up to date?
    >
    > I sure appreciate it very much.
    >
    > John

  4. Re: Want Back In

    Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    > And OS/2 updates can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne...._contents.html
    > PLS note that you cant update v4.0 to 4.5x

    Thank you. I am begining to remember some of the things about OS/2 tha
    drove me nuts :-) No more so than any other OS tho, so onward we go.

    John

  5. Re: Want Back In

    On 14 Nov 2006 14:01:53 -0800, John wrote:
    > I used OS/2 for over ten years, and boy, do I miss it...... I don't
    > want eCs, and I think they should be ashamed of themselves for the
    > price they charge for their product, so I want to go back to Warp 4,
    > and build it back up to whatever is the max configuration I can get
    > through Fixpak 15.
    >
    > My question involves the TCPIP stack and other fixpak stuff that I
    > don't think is in FP15 anymore.
    >
    > I can muddle through most everything, but the broadband networking
    > really ticked me off, I was told I could not get there unless I bought
    > eCS, which simply cannot be true, so I am back, and would really
    > appreciate any pointers, faqs, or instructions as to how to go about
    > upgrading my system to the max I can get, still on Warp 4, with a
    > broadband connection, and no, I do not want to use eCS at this point in
    > time. See above position on ridiculous pricing.

    I have no problem with you preferring not to buy eCS. I should mention,
    though, that the "ridiculous pricing" is pretty much beyond their control.
    eCS costs a lot because most of that price has to go to pay IBM for the
    underlying OS/2 license. Anyway, on with your question...

    For OS/2 Warp 4, the best way to get to the latest free level(s) is:

    1. Install OS/2 v4 FixPak 15 (XR_M015).
    2. Install Device Driver FixPak 2 (XR_D002).
    3. Install MPTS version 5.4 (WR_8610) - full product install.
    4. Install MPTS v5.5 update (XR_8621) - FixPak. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE
    INCLUDED README.TCP BEFORE INSTALLING, and follow the instructions
    regarding TCPCOEX.
    5. Install TCP/IP v4.0 FixPak UN_0980.
    6. Install LAN Services (Peer v4) FixPak IP_8414.
    7. Hunt down OS/2 kernel 14.103a_W4 (dated 2005-03-18) and install the
    updated OS2KRNL, OS2LDR, and OS2DUMP, as well as the dump formatter
    files. Optional, but recommended.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  6. Re: Want Back In

    Alex
    > For OS/2 Warp 4, the best way to get to the latest free level(s) is:
    >
    > 1. Install OS/2 v4 FixPak 15 (XR_M015).
    > 2. Install Device Driver FixPak 2 (XR_D002).
    > 3. Install MPTS version 5.4 (WR_8610) - full product install.
    > 4. Install MPTS v5.5 update (XR_8621) - FixPak. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE
    > INCLUDED README.TCP BEFORE INSTALLING, and follow the instructions
    > regarding TCPCOEX.
    > 5. Install TCP/IP v4.0 FixPak UN_0980.
    > 6. Install LAN Services (Peer v4) FixPak IP_8414.
    > 7. Hunt down OS/2 kernel 14.103a_W4 (dated 2005-03-18) and install the
    > updated OS2KRNL, OS2LDR, and OS2DUMP, as well as the dump formatter
    > files. Optional, but recommended.
    >

    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex
    >
    > Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

    That is teriffic info for a newbie. Thanks.
    Is there any method to slipstream all this into a single super installation
    cd ?

    Thanks

    Basil

  7. Re: Want Back In

    Basil Holloway wrote:
    > Alex
    >
    >>For OS/2 Warp 4, the best way to get to the latest free level(s) is:
    >>
    >>1. Install OS/2 v4 FixPak 15 (XR_M015).
    >>2. Install Device Driver FixPak 2 (XR_D002).
    >>3. Install MPTS version 5.4 (WR_8610) - full product install.
    >>4. Install MPTS v5.5 update (XR_8621) - FixPak. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE
    >> INCLUDED README.TCP BEFORE INSTALLING, and follow the instructions
    >> regarding TCPCOEX.
    >>5. Install TCP/IP v4.0 FixPak UN_0980.

    This ts 16-bit TCP/IP, right?

    >>6. Install LAN Services (Peer v4) FixPak IP_8414.
    >>7. Hunt down OS/2 kernel 14.103a_W4 (dated 2005-03-18) and install the
    >> updated OS2KRNL, OS2LDR, and OS2DUMP, as well as the dump formatter
    >> files. Optional, but recommended.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Alex Taylor
    >>http://www.cs-club.org/~alex
    >>
    >>Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

    > That is teriffic info for a newbie. Thanks.
    > Is there any method to slipstream all this into a single super installation
    > cd ?

    That would be great! I'd love to see an easy-to-install package on one
    CD. Having recently gone through a full install, I think I missed a
    fixpak or so. Don't you have to install Dani's IDE drivers at some
    point if you have a reasonable-sized disk?

  8. Re: Want Back In

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:10:41 UTC, Peter Flass
    wrote:

    -> Basil Holloway wrote:
    -> > Alex
    -> >
    -> >>For OS/2 Warp 4, the best way to get to the latest free level(s) is:
    -> >>
    -> >>1. Install OS/2 v4 FixPak 15 (XR_M015).
    -> >>2. Install Device Driver FixPak 2 (XR_D002).
    -> >>3. Install MPTS version 5.4 (WR_8610) - full product install.
    -> >>4. Install MPTS v5.5 update (XR_8621) - FixPak. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE
    -> >> INCLUDED README.TCP BEFORE INSTALLING, and follow the instructions
    -> >> regarding TCPCOEX.
    -> >>5. Install TCP/IP v4.0 FixPak UN_0980.
    ->
    -> This ts 16-bit TCP/IP, right?
    ->
    -> >>6. Install LAN Services (Peer v4) FixPak IP_8414.
    -> >>7. Hunt down OS/2 kernel 14.103a_W4 (dated 2005-03-18) and install the
    -> >> updated OS2KRNL, OS2LDR, and OS2DUMP, as well as the dump formatter
    -> >> files. Optional, but recommended.
    -> >>
    -> >>
    -> >>--
    -> >>Alex Taylor
    -> >>http://www.cs-club.org/~alex
    -> >>
    -> >>Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).
    -> >
    -> >
    -> > That is teriffic info for a newbie. Thanks.
    -> > Is there any method to slipstream all this into a single super installation
    -> > cd ?
    ->
    -> That would be great! I'd love to see an easy-to-install package on one
    -> CD. Having recently gone through a full install, I think I missed a
    -> fixpak or so. Don't you have to install Dani's IDE drivers at some
    -> point if you have a reasonable-sized disk?
    ->

    That is the whole point of eComStation, but if you prefer to roll your
    own then look at UpdCD - http://www.updcd.tk/ There was an article on
    this in the VOICE Newsletter -
    http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...2H/vnewsf4.htm

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  9. Re: Want Back In

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    Alex Taylor spake unto us, saying:

    >For OS/2 Warp 4, the best way to get to the latest free level(s) is:
    >
    >1. Install OS/2 v4 FixPak 15 (XR_M015).
    >2. Install Device Driver FixPak 2 (XR_D002).
    >3. Install MPTS version 5.4 (WR_8610) - full product install.
    >4. Install MPTS v5.5 update (XR_8621) - FixPak. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE
    > INCLUDED README.TCP BEFORE INSTALLING, and follow the instructions
    > regarding TCPCOEX.
    >5. Install TCP/IP v4.0 FixPak UN_0980.
    >6. Install LAN Services (Peer v4) FixPak IP_8414.
    >7. Hunt down OS/2 kernel 14.103a_W4 (dated 2005-03-18) and install the
    > updated OS2KRNL, OS2LDR, and OS2DUMP, as well as the dump formatter
    > files. Optional, but recommended.

    That's a helpful list. Thanks! :-)

    I've only done step #1 myself, and I don't seem to have issues, but I
    tend to not care about things like NFS. And the old 16-bit stack can
    be hacked to play NFS client easily enough, anyway.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  10. Re: Want Back In

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:10:41 GMT, Peter Flass wrote:
    >>>1. Install OS/2 v4 FixPak 15 (XR_M015).
    >>>2. Install Device Driver FixPak 2 (XR_D002).
    >>>3. Install MPTS version 5.4 (WR_8610) - full product install.
    >>>4. Install MPTS v5.5 update (XR_8621) - FixPak. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE
    >>> INCLUDED README.TCP BEFORE INSTALLING, and follow the instructions
    >>> regarding TCPCOEX.
    >>>5. Install TCP/IP v4.0 FixPak UN_0980.

    > This ts 16-bit TCP/IP, right?

    It's the applications designed for the 16-bit TCP/IP. However, the stack
    itself is 32-bit, installed with MPTS (item #4).

    The 32-bit-compatible TCP/IP applications are not free.

    >> That is teriffic info for a newbie. Thanks.
    >> Is there any method to slipstream all this into a single super installation
    >> cd ?

    > That would be great! I'd love to see an easy-to-install package on one
    > CD. Having recently gone through a full install, I think I missed a
    > fixpak or so. Don't you have to install Dani's IDE drivers at some
    > point if you have a reasonable-sized disk?

    Depends. The IBM driver is actually pretty decent these days (since it
    uses some of Dani's code).

    OTOH, the very latest isn't free, so installing DANIS506 and DANIATAPI is
    probably a good idea, yes.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex