Belkin UPS control? - OS2

This is a discussion on Belkin UPS control? - OS2 ; I looked on Hobbes, and could not find anything to query Belkin UPS. Should I return it, or is there anything available? (It works for about 15min, and there is a lot of longer blackouts in the area...) Thanks, Ilya...

  1. Belkin UPS control?

    I looked on Hobbes, and could not find anything to query Belkin UPS.
    Should I return it, or is there anything available? (It works for
    about 15min, and there is a lot of longer blackouts in the area...)

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  2. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:43:50 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > I looked on Hobbes, and could not find anything to query Belkin UPS.
    > Should I return it, or is there anything available? (It works for
    > about 15min, and there is a lot of longer blackouts in the area...)

    Fifteen minutes should be plenty of time to save your work and shut
    down your PC.

    Do you connect to it via serial port or by USB?

  3. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    Michael DeBusk
    ], who wrote in article <3ZtZg.8794$Lv3.7464@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>:
    > > I looked on Hobbes, and could not find anything to query Belkin UPS.
    > > Should I return it, or is there anything available? (It works for
    > > about 15min, and there is a lot of longer blackouts in the area...)

    > Fifteen minutes should be plenty of time to save your work and shut
    > down your PC.

    If I'm around - yes. But quite probably I'm not - it is on 24/7.

    > Do you connect to it via serial port or by USB?

    UPS allows both.

    Yours,
    Ilya

  4. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:31:00 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > > Fifteen minutes should be plenty of time to save your work and shut
    > > down your PC.

    > If I'm around - yes. But quite probably I'm not - it is on 24/7.

    You run Linux as well, do you not? Is there something under Linux which
    would shut it down for you? If so, perhaps it'll port to OS/2.

    > > Do you connect to it via serial port or by USB?

    > UPS allows both.

    I use one of the freeware tools from Lone Peak Automation on my UPS and
    it seems to do the job well. A couple of the tools listed on his page
    mention Belkin UPSes by name. I think they require a serial port
    connection. Have you tried any of these?

    http://home.att.net/~LPAInfo/upsmonitor.html

  5. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    Michael DeBusk
    ], who wrote in article <%9EZg.15824$UG4.10421@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink .net>:
    > > If I'm around - yes. But quite probably I'm not - it is on 24/7.

    > You run Linux as well, do you not?

    No.

    > Is there something under Linux which would shut it down for you? If
    > so, perhaps it'll port to OS/2.

    Unfortunately, Belkin ships a CD with a GUI program which works on
    almost everything (including Linux). I did not find any CLI program
    with a similar functionality yet.

    > I use one of the freeware tools from Lone Peak Automation on my UPS and
    > it seems to do the job well. A couple of the tools listed on his page
    > mention Belkin UPSes by name. I think they require a serial port
    > connection. Have you tried any of these?

    > http://home.att.net/~LPAInfo/upsmonitor.html

    Thanks, I will investigate this,

    Yours,
    Ilya

  6. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:44:52 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > > http://home.att.net/~LPAInfo/upsmonitor.html

    > Thanks, I will investigate this,

    I'd appreciate it if you let me know how it goes. I need to upgrade my
    UPS, and should probably do it soon.

  7. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    I updated my APC backups 500 to a new smart 750. Lots of status LEDs for
    battery and load %.
    APC had a great trade-in deal at the time and sent a pre-paid return label
    for the old UPS.
    The software from Lone Peak works great. It has real-time status and will
    handle the shutdown of OS/2.
    The cable came with the UPS for serial comm. (it has USB also but I don't
    know if the software works with the USB interface)

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 05:00:19 GMT, Michael DeBusk wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:44:52 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    > wrote:
    >
    >> > http://home.att.net/~LPAInfo/upsmonitor.html

    >> Thanks, I will investigate this,

    >I'd appreciate it if you let me know how it goes. I need to upgrade my
    >UPS, and should probably do it soon.

  8. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    Michael DeBusk
    ], who wrote in article :
    > I'd appreciate it if you let me know how it goes. I need to upgrade my
    > UPS, and should probably do it soon.

    May I ask you why?

    I investigated it, and it looks like new batteries are dirt cheap.
    Moreover, most people say that it is usually OK to attach a new
    battery which has slightly (up to 2x?) larger capacity - this won't
    DEADLY ;-) overload the charging circuits... (Of course, the voltage
    should be the same.) [The larger battery won't, of course, fit in; do
    you care about esthetics?]

    Yours,
    Ilya

  9. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 04:16:13 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > > I need to upgrade my UPS, and should probably do it soon.

    > May I ask you why?

    Sure! Go ahead!

    It's one I got for nothing; they were going to toss it out at work even
    though it was still in the box. Someone had bought it and never claimed
    it, so it sat on a top shelf in Receiving for years. They did a
    housecleaning and were going to move it out, and I asked for it. I was
    surprised that the battery was still good.

    It's served me well for a couple of years, but recently I bought a new
    computer and it's too much for the old UPS to handle. The battery is
    getting tired and the computer pulls too hard on the circuits when I'm
    running some of the more interesting things in Linux.

    I posted my original query in alt.os.linux.misc as well, and most of
    the responses I have gotten from them have been votes for APC. The one
    I have is an APC so I will probably go for their "trade-in" program.

    The idea of hacking it, per your suggestion, intimidates me. I don't
    trust myself to get it right. Plus, I like the idea that a new UPS
    comes with a safety guarantee.

  10. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:20:18 -0400 (EDT), Nitro
    wrote:

    > I updated my APC backups 500 to a new smart 750.

    I'll have to check out the 750, then. I'm not thoroughly convinced that
    I need the 1500 recommended by APC's configurator.

  11. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    Michael DeBusk
    ], who wrote in article :
    > I posted my original query in alt.os.linux.misc as well, and most of
    > the responses I have gotten from them have been votes for APC.

    This what I saw too. And this is not surprising: Belkin is just a
    toy: it is supposed to work for 2min at maximum load (this was NOT
    marked on the case ;-). But the price for the Belkin was the deciding
    factor ($70 or some such after rebate for 540W model), and, as I
    expected, with my lowly hardware, it works "long enough".

    > The idea of hacking it, per your suggestion, intimidates me. I don't
    > trust myself to get it right.

    UPS has 2 wires; battery has 2 terminals. You need to pull wire out
    of the case, and attach it the (larger) battery. Rope the battery to
    the case, for easier transportation. (I did not do it, but other
    people reported it working.)

    > Plus, I like the idea that a new UPS comes with a safety guarantee.

    I wonder: is there any known case when such a guarantee was actually
    acted upon? I always thought it was like the bike lock guarantee:
    they would pay if the thief left a notarized affidavit that he took
    the bike by messing with the lock... ;-)

    Yours,
    Ilya

  12. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 08:13:19 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > But the price for the Belkin was the deciding factor ($70 or some
    > such after rebate for 540W model), and, as I expected, with my lowly
    > hardware, it works "long enough".

    I work in a hospital and spend a lot of my busy time in the Emergency
    Department. One of the things that both irritates and grieves me is
    when someone, say, wakes up out of an unresponsive state, realizes
    they're in a hospital, and insists on leaving because they don't have
    any insurance. They're sick or hurt, they need healthcare, and they
    think we shoudln't treat them because they can't pay.

    I've known my share of homeless and near-homeless folk, too, and a
    surprising number of them are in that condition because they didn't
    have insurance of some type (health, disability, fire, etc.)

    So I'm adamant about being insured. And I figure that a UPS is
    insurance for my computer hardware. It's worth it to me.

    "Long enough" for me is one minute, though. I don't want to continue to
    work/play during a thunderstorm or a power outage. If my power goes
    out, or a thunderstorm threatens, or even if the power goes a little
    brown for a time, I close everything and shut down. In my absence,
    that's what I want my UPS to do.

    This 420VA APC unit does that. It just screams at me when I push my
    computer too hard (like playing a DVD or a game of that clone of
    Lemmings under Linux, for example.)

    > UPS has 2 wires; battery has 2 terminals. You need to pull wire out
    > of the case, and attach it the (larger) battery.

    Ah. I misunderstood. I imagined roping two batteries together.

    > > Plus, I like the idea that a new UPS comes with a safety guarantee.

    > I wonder: is there any known case when such a guarantee was actually
    > acted upon? I always thought it was like the bike lock guarantee:
    > they would pay if the thief left a notarized affidavit that he took
    > the bike by messing with the lock... ;-)

    I've heard stories of people being disappointed when trying to act on
    the guarantee. I'm not sure what the problem was, though.

  13. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    Michael DeBusk
    ], who wrote in article :
    > This 420VA APC unit does that. It just screams at me when I push my
    > computer too hard (like playing a DVD or a game of that clone of
    > Lemmings under Linux, for example.)

    Then please ignore everything I said about a larger battery. It would
    increase the ON time, but would not change the maximal power output.

    Sorry for this,
    Ilya

  14. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:27:28 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > Then please ignore everything I said about a larger battery. It
    > would increase the ON time, but would not change the maximal power
    > output.

    Not a problem. Thanks for your insights.

  15. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 07:42:43 GMT, Michael DeBusk
    wrote:

    > I posted my original query in alt.os.linux.misc as well, and most of
    > the responses I have gotten from them have been votes for APC. The
    > one I have is an APC so I will probably go for their "trade-in"
    > program.

    If anyone here is interested in one, I ended up buying an APC Back-UPS
    RS 800VA from Tiger Direct by way of amazon.com today. Eighty bucks
    plus shipping (which was over twenty bucks; heavy box, I guess).

    Specs:
    http://apc.com/resource/include/tech...e_sku=BR800BLK

    Purchase:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...700937?ie=UTF8

    (I didn't go with APC's "trade-in" program because the trade-in value
    for the one I have was insufficient.)

  16. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    Here in comp.os.os2.utilities,
    Michael DeBusk spake unto us, saying:

    >I posted my original query in alt.os.linux.misc as well, and most of
    >the responses I have gotten from them have been votes for APC. The one
    >I have is an APC so I will probably go for their "trade-in" program.

    You might do well to check out eBay before buying a new one -- there
    are a lot of hardware recycling places which sell used UPSs bundled
    with new batteries.

    I recently picked up four APC BackUPS Pro 280's with new batteries for
    less than US$25 apiece, and that price included shipping. While those
    are small, they're perfect for headless systems like I tend to run, and
    the same vendor had much larger UPS units for sale for a fraction of
    their cost new.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  17. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:42:10 -0400, Richard Steiner wrote:

    > You might do well to check out eBay before buying a new one

    I checked eBay and didn't see anything I wanted. I didn't think about
    checking the eBay stores. Too late now.

  18. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    In article ,
    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    >Then please ignore everything I said about a larger battery. It would
    >increase the ON time, but would not change the maximal power output.

    Connecting a larger battery to a small UPS is a bad idea. Most small UPSes
    do not have proper heatsinks, just a block of aluminium. They rely on the
    battery running out before the UPS overheats. You need to check that the UPS
    has a proper heatsink and air vents or fan before attaching bigger
    batteries.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

  19. Re: Belkin UPS control?

    On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:12:07 UTC, black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com (Don
    Hills) wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > >
    > >Then please ignore everything I said about a larger battery. It would
    > >increase the ON time, but would not change the maximal power output.

    > Connecting a larger battery to a small UPS is a bad idea. Most small UPSes
    > do not have proper heatsinks, just a block of aluminium. They rely on the
    > battery running out before the UPS overheats. You need to check that the UPS
    > has a proper heatsink and air vents or fan before attaching bigger
    > batteries.

    That's some good advise.

    Also, swap out your bridge rectifier for something with a higher power
    rating.
    Often this will be just four large diodes hooked together to form a
    Wheatstone bridge.
    You won't need to know how do configure the bridge, just make sure the
    higher rated rectifiers go in the same direction as the ones that came
    out... 8)

    Also, make sure your circuit board etching can handle the heat
    throughout the battery discharge time without lifting from the board or,
    gawd forbide, opening.

    And don't forget to check that the battery cables can handle the load
    for the same duration.

    HTH

    --
    斃様様預様与 斃様僕様様様僕様僕様曜様曜様様様様様様様様様与
    麺様 斃様様様様

    **Puzzled? Undo the "Knot"(s) to reveal the E-Mail address.

+ Reply to Thread