gigabit ethernet cards and drivers - OS2

This is a discussion on gigabit ethernet cards and drivers - OS2 ; If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I replace a 10Mb card ... Please email a copy of your response directly to REMOVEwadsack@attglobal.netR ...

  1. gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I
    replace a 10Mb card ...

    Please email a copy of your response directly to

    REMOVEwadsack@attglobal.netREMOVE

    TIA

    Peter

    */------------------------------------------------------
    Peter Wadsack
    ------------------------------------------------------*/

  2. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:14:34 UTC, "Peter Wadsack"
    wrote:

    > If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    > gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I
    > replace a 10Mb card ...

    I'm using a Broadcom NetExtreme, although only running at 100Mb/s as
    yet. Mine is onboard in an IBM server, but there is an equivalent
    card...

  3. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:22:19 UTC, "Bob Eager" wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:14:34 UTC, "Peter Wadsack"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    > > gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I
    > > replace a 10Mb card ...

    > I'm using a Broadcom NetExtreme, although only running at 100Mb/s as
    > yet. Mine is onboard in an IBM server, but there is an equivalent
    > card...

    Broadcom NetExtreme driver doesn't support Apic.

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  4. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    I added an Intel PRO/1000 MT card to my Dell computer, and use that
    under eCS 1.24. It is a 10 / 100 / 1000 type of card, and is rather
    expensive, but OS/2 is still supported. My ISP only gives me 100Mb
    speed, though.

    Peter Wadsack wrote:
    > If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    > gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I
    > replace a 10Mb card ...
    >
    > Please email a copy of your response directly to
    >
    > REMOVEwadsack@attglobal.netREMOVE
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > Peter
    >
    > */------------------------------------------------------
    > Peter Wadsack
    > ------------------------------------------------------*/

  5. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    If you really want gigabit speed, stay away from Intel. Works fine at
    100mb, but gets very flaky over that, and Intel could care less
    (ersonal experience after converting my entire net to them). Works,
    but causes a lot of dropped servers, and gores from gigabit to 100 bit
    without warning, and no recourse except to reboot the offending
    server.

    Alex

    wrote:

    > If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    > gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I
    > replace a 10Mb card ...
    >
    > Please email a copy of your response directly to
    >
    > REMOVEwadsack@attglobal.netREMOVE
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > Peter
    >
    > */------------------------------------------------------
    > Peter Wadsack
    > ------------------------------------------------------*/

  6. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:16:15 -0700, Colin Campbell
    wrote:

    >Peter Wadsack wrote:
    >> If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    >> gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I
    >> replace a 10Mb card ...
    >>
    >> Please email a copy of your response directly to
    >>
    >> REMOVEwadsack@attglobal.netREMOVE
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    >> Peter
    >>
    >> */------------------------------------------------------
    >> Peter Wadsack
    >> ------------------------------------------------------*/
    >>

    >I added an Intel PRO/1000 MT card to my Dell computer, and use that
    >under eCS 1.24. It is a 10 / 100 / 1000 type of card, and is rather
    >expensive, but OS/2 is still supported. My ISP only gives me 100Mb
    >speed, though.

    I have an Intel PRO/1000 MT card too. It works OK with the Intel
    drivers, but has a problem when the cable is disconnected (or the PC
    at the other end is turned off) - after a few minutes (a timeout of
    some sort), it crashes the system. So when I turn off my other box
    (WinXP), I have to pull the cable at that end and plug it into my
    10/100 Mbit switch. Then the Intel drivers are happy. I never had
    any luck with the IBM drivers.

    I tried a generic RTL chipset card and the GenMAC drivers, but that
    did not work well at all. That was quite some time ago though, and
    the GenMAC drivers have been worked on a lot since then so it might be
    worth trying. RTL cards are *cheap*.

    http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php
    http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=gigabit

    Of course, with any gigabit ethernet card on the PCI bus, you are
    never going to get full 1 Gibit/s speed as that is much more than the
    PCI bus can handle. For full speed, you need PCI Express or
    motherboard builtin chip. But it does run significantly faster than a
    100 Mbit/s card. I can not remember exactly how much faster - it is
    ages since I tested it - but I think it was about 300 Mbit/s or so.

  7. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    Peter Wadsack wrote:
    > If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    > gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I
    > replace a 10Mb card ...

    I'm using the os/2 driver for the Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
    Gigabit Ethernet controller that's
    the onboard gigabit LAN controller for some motherboards and it works
    very well. The speed is probably no more than about 600Mbits/sec but
    that's still pretty good for OS/2. The original syskonnect driver at

    http://www.syskonnect.de/

    was patched by veit kannegieser to work with the onboard yukon chipset
    and I am using the patched driver so I haven't tried the original
    syskonnect driver but I expect that it's pretty good.

    The Intel hardware (Pro/10, Pro/100, or Pro/1000) is probably your best
    overall bet for OS/2. You can buy a used Pro/100 controller for a few
    dollars and the OS/2 driver works very well. I haven't tried the
    Pro/1000 driver but I would at least test it before passing on it. You
    have to download the newest version of the Pro/1000 driver from IBM as
    Intel has an older version on their website.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  8. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > Peter Wadsack wrote:
    >> If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    >> gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before
    >> I replace a 10Mb card ...
    >>

    > I'm using the os/2 driver for the Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
    > Gigabit Ethernet controller that's
    > the onboard gigabit LAN controller for some motherboards and it works
    > very well. The speed is probably no more than about 600Mbits/sec but
    > that's still pretty good for OS/2. The original syskonnect driver at
    >
    > http://www.syskonnect.de/
    >
    > was patched by veit kannegieser to work with the onboard yukon chipset
    > and I am using the patched driver so I haven't tried the original
    > syskonnect driver but I expect that it's pretty good.
    >
    > The Intel hardware (Pro/10, Pro/100, or Pro/1000) is probably your best
    > overall bet for OS/2. You can buy a used Pro/100 controller for a few
    > dollars and the OS/2 driver works very well. I haven't tried the
    > Pro/1000 driver but I would at least test it before passing on it. You
    > have to download the newest version of the Pro/1000 driver from IBM as
    > Intel has an older version on their website.

    We use the Intel gigabit card in our product. While we are running,
    we are sending about 560000-2000000 bytes/second when doing image capture.
    And we do this continually, until the paper runs out or the sorter jams.

    http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserve...cpcs/hardware/

    Bob Plyler

    IBM 3890/XP Development (not an official ibm spokesperson)

  9. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    Bob,

    What card/chipset and what version of Intel drivers are you using?

    Alex

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:18:55 UTC, Bob Plyler
    wrote:

    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    > > Peter Wadsack wrote:
    > >> If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    > >> gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before
    > >> I replace a 10Mb card ...
    > >>

    > > I'm using the os/2 driver for the Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
    > > Gigabit Ethernet controller that's
    > > the onboard gigabit LAN controller for some motherboards and it works
    > > very well. The speed is probably no more than about 600Mbits/sec but
    > > that's still pretty good for OS/2. The original syskonnect driver at
    > >
    > > http://www.syskonnect.de/
    > >
    > > was patched by veit kannegieser to work with the onboard yukon chipset
    > > and I am using the patched driver so I haven't tried the original
    > > syskonnect driver but I expect that it's pretty good.
    > >
    > > The Intel hardware (Pro/10, Pro/100, or Pro/1000) is probably your best
    > > overall bet for OS/2. You can buy a used Pro/100 controller for a few
    > > dollars and the OS/2 driver works very well. I haven't tried the
    > > Pro/1000 driver but I would at least test it before passing on it. You
    > > have to download the newest version of the Pro/1000 driver from IBM as
    > > Intel has an older version on their website.
    > >

    > We use the Intel gigabit card in our product. While we are running,
    > we are sending about 560000-2000000 bytes/second when doing image capture.
    > And we do this continually, until the paper runs out or the sorter jams.
    >
    > http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserve...cpcs/hardware/
    >
    > Bob Plyler
    >
    > IBM 3890/XP Development (not an official ibm spokesperson)

  10. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    Alex Smariga wrote:
    > Bob,
    >
    > What card/chipset and what version of Intel drivers are you using?
    >
    > Alex

    I'll have to check Monday. I'm about ready to leave.

    Bob

  11. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    David T. Johnson wrote:

    > I'm using the os/2 driver for the Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
    > Gigabit Ethernet controller that's
    > the onboard gigabit LAN controller for some motherboards and it works
    > very well. The speed is probably no more than about 600Mbits/sec but
    > that's still pretty good for OS/2. The original syskonnect driver at
    >
    > http://www.syskonnect.de/
    >
    > was patched by veit kannegieser to work with the onboard yukon chipset
    > and I am using the patched driver so I haven't tried the original
    > syskonnect driver but I expect that it's pretty good.

    I was surprised to get several emails asking for the patched driver. It
    can be downloaded from Hobbes at:

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/

    Search for the file 'yukon.zip'

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  12. Re: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers

    Alex Smariga wrote:
    > Bob,
    >
    > What card/chipset and what version of Intel drivers are you using?
    >
    > Alex

    We are using the IBM drivers for the Intel chipset.

    It's the E1000.OS2 driver.

    I'm not sure of the card, but it's either the

    PRO/1000 MT Server Adapter by Intel
    or
    PRO/1000 XT Server Adapter by Intel

    Bob Plyler

  13. DLink DGE-530T works with OS/2 (wasRe: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers)

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:14:34 UTC in comp.os.os2.networking.misc, "Peter Wadsack"
    wrote:

    > If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    > gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I
    > replace a 10Mb card ...

    I'm happy to report that the D-Link DGE-530T cards that I received today work
    with the yukon.zip driver from hobbes though the patch included with the file
    needs a slight alteration to cater for the different PCI vendor/deviceid. I have
    two of these cards and have installed one of them so far but it seems to work
    OK.

    New patch file appied using 'patch sk98nd.pat /A':

    FILE sk98nd.os2
    VER 000002AA 48
    VER 000002AB 11
    VER 000002AC 20
    VER 000002AD 43
    CHA 000002BA 86
    CHA 000002BB 11
    CHA 000002BC 01
    CHA 000002BD 4B
    CHA 000002BE FF
    CHA 000002BF FF
    CHA 000002C0 FF
    CHA 000002C1 FF

    (this adds PCI Vendorid 1186, deviceid 4B01 into the table and then the DGE-530T
    is recognised by the driver as a Marvell chip).

    My cards are both Marvell 88E8001 chips and the cards are marked DGE-530T Rev
    B1. They were the cheapest PCI cards I could find that are based around the
    Marvell 88E8001 chipset, selling for around 16 each in the UK vs 25 for Intel
    ones.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  14. Re: DLink DGE-530T works with OS/2 (wasRe: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers)

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:26:36 -0500, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:14:34 UTC in comp.os.os2.networking.misc, "Peter Wadsack"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> If anyone has a positive experience with a particular combination of a
    >> gigabit ethernet card and driver for warp452, I'd like to know, before I
    >> replace a 10Mb card ...

    >I'm happy to report that the D-Link DGE-530T cards that I received today work
    >with the yukon.zip driver from hobbes though the patch included with the file
    >needs a slight alteration to cater for the different PCI vendor/deviceid. I have
    >two of these cards and have installed one of them so far but it seems to work
    >OK.
    >
    >New patch file appied using 'patch sk98nd.pat /A':
    >
    >FILE sk98nd.os2
    >VER 000002AA 48
    >VER 000002AB 11
    >VER 000002AC 20
    >VER 000002AD 43
    >CHA 000002BA 86
    >CHA 000002BB 11
    >CHA 000002BC 01
    >CHA 000002BD 4B
    >CHA 000002BE FF
    >CHA 000002BF FF
    >CHA 000002C0 FF
    >CHA 000002C1 FF
    >
    >(this adds PCI Vendorid 1186, deviceid 4B01 into the table and then the DGE-530T
    >is recognised by the driver as a Marvell chip).
    >
    >My cards are both Marvell 88E8001 chips and the cards are marked DGE-530T Rev
    >B1. They were the cheapest PCI cards I could find that are based around the
    >Marvell 88E8001 chipset, selling for around 16 each in the UK vs 25 for Intel
    >ones.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Are you using any straight Netbios with your gigabit network ? Just
    wondering what the improvement might be over plain 100/10 (mine maxes
    out at 5 or 6 MB/s between OS/2 box, d-link switch, and xp box).

  15. Re: DLink DGE-530T works with OS/2 (wasRe: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers)

    On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 03:12:45 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, yankeebean
    wrote:

    > Are you using any straight Netbios with your gigabit network ? Just
    > wondering what the improvement might be over plain 100/10 (mine maxes
    > out at 5 or 6 MB/s between OS/2 box, d-link switch, and xp box).

    Hmm, they're not brilliant at the moment, but better than 100m.

    Using the builtin ftp command line client from OS/2 to OS/2 I get about
    12MB/sec, using Emtec FTP I get about 21MB/sec, using NetBIOS (not over TCPIP)
    I get about 20MB/sec.

    FTP'ing to OS/2 from an XP box I can pull around 27MB/sec and using NetBIOS over
    TCPIP I can pull about 15MB/sec.

    All tests done copying the same SuSE CD image.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  16. Re: DLink DGE-530T works with OS/2 (wasRe: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers)

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > I'm happy to report that the D-Link DGE-530T cards that I received today work
    > with the yukon.zip driver from hobbes

    If you get any problems, also try using GenMac,
    i had good results using genmac200.zip + genmac200_marvel.zip..

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  17. Re: DLink DGE-530T works with OS/2 (wasRe: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers)

    On Apr 15, 9:36 am, "Veit Kannegieser" wrote:
    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > > I'm happy to report that the D-Link DGE-530T cards that I received today work
    > > with the yukon.zip driver from hobbes

    > If you get any problems, also try using GenMac,
    > i had good results using genmac200.zip + genmac200_marvel.zip..
    >
    > --
    > Veit Kannegieser

    I can get a D-Link DFE-530TX at JR here for about 14 bucks.

    and I see a bunch of packages at http://genmac.netlabs.org/en/site/downloads.xml

    but I don't see an index telling me which package(s) to use...

  18. Re: DLink DGE-530T works with OS/2 (wasRe: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers)

    On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:10:52 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, rafe
    wrote:

    > I can get a D-Link DFE-530TX at JR here for about 14 bucks.

    The DFE is 100mbit not Gigabit. Is that what you wanted?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  19. Re: DLink DGE-530T works with OS/2 (wasRe: gigabit ethernet cards and drivers)

    On May 16, 1:02 pm, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:10:52 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, rafe
    >
    > wrote:
    > > I can get a D-Link DFE-530TX at JR here for about 14 bucks.

    > The DFE is 100mbit not Gigabit. Is that what you wanted?
    >
    > --
    > Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    > Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

    I guess, since the specs for this Trendnet router indicates only
    "10/100Mbs Auto-MDIX Fast Ethernet."

    unless I might get faster throughput nevertheless?

    serves me right for tailing onto an old thread. I thought Gigabit was
    a brand name!

+ Reply to Thread