Can any OS/2 Email program handle html? - OS2

This is a discussion on Can any OS/2 Email program handle html? - OS2 ; Is there any good OS/2 Email program that also can handle html markup? I get a lot of mail from Windows users that employ, for example, Eurdora as their Email application, and such mail usually is all html markup or ...

  1. Can any OS/2 Email program handle html?

    Is there any good OS/2 Email program that also can handle html markup?
    I get a lot of mail from Windows users that employ, for example,
    Eurdora as their Email application, and such mail usually is all html
    markup or combines what is referred to as text and styled (i.e., html)
    formatting.

    I have been using Postroad Mailer, and I need to go to a better (and
    supported) Email program. I have looked at the descriptions of
    Mr/2 ICE and PMMAIL/2, but neither mention having the ability to
    process mail with embedded html markup. Since such support would
    not be trivial, I assume they cannot handle it. Checking Hobbes, I
    can find no add-on utility to these programs that might provide such
    capability.

    Any information pointing me toward a solution would be most
    appreciated.

    Bob

  2. Re: Can any OS/2 Email program handle html?

    Bob wrote:
    > Is there any good OS/2 Email program that also can handle html markup?
    > I get a lot of mail from Windows users that employ, for example,
    > Eurdora as their Email application, and such mail usually is all html
    > markup or combines what is referred to as text and styled (i.e., html)
    > formatting.

    I usually slap people upside the head if they send anything but plain
    text;-)

  3. Re: Can any OS/2 Email program handle html?

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:44:31 GMT, Bob wrote:

    >Is there any good OS/2 Email program that also can handle html markup?
    >I get a lot of mail from Windows users that employ, for example,
    >Eurdora as their Email application, and such mail usually is all html
    >markup or combines what is referred to as text and styled (i.e., html)
    >formatting.
    >
    >I have been using Postroad Mailer, and I need to go to a better (and
    >supported) Email program. I have looked at the descriptions of
    >Mr/2 ICE and PMMAIL/2, but neither mention having the ability to
    >process mail with embedded html markup. Since such support would
    >not be trivial, I assume they cannot handle it. Checking Hobbes, I
    >can find no add-on utility to these programs that might provide such
    >capability.
    >
    >Any information pointing me toward a solution would be most
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Bob

    Being a bit dumb, I am not sure what
    is meant by html markup, but I use
    PMMail 2.20.2382 and have the options
    set so that only plain text is displayed.

    Of course while in the message view
    window I can click
    - Window
    -- View in Web Browser to see it in
    all its html glory.

    Cheers,

    Tom [Tom Perrett]

  4. Re: Can any OS/2 Email program handle html?

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    Bob spake unto us, saying:

    >Is there any good OS/2 Email program that also can handle html markup?

    I use Yarn, which doesn't handle HTML at all directly, but assuming
    they have their MIME type set properly it will shuttle the file off to
    the OS/2 web browser of my choice (I have it invoke a menu where I can
    choose from Links 0.99, Links 2.14 in graphics mode, or Firefox).

    Most of the folks I get HTML e-mail from have been told to stop it,
    though, and most of them have. I used to trashcan it automatically,
    but decided that was overkill. A few of them had no idea they were
    sending something other than text.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  5. Re: Can any OS/2 Email program handle html?

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:44:31 GMT, Bob wrote:
    > Is there any good OS/2 Email program that also can handle html markup?
    > I get a lot of mail from Windows users that employ, for example,
    > Eurdora as their Email application, and such mail usually is all html
    > markup or combines what is referred to as text and styled (i.e., html)
    > formatting.
    >
    > I have been using Postroad Mailer, and I need to go to a better (and
    > supported) Email program. I have looked at the descriptions of
    > Mr/2 ICE and PMMAIL/2, but neither mention having the ability to
    > process mail with embedded html markup. Since such support would
    > not be trivial, I assume they cannot handle it. Checking Hobbes, I
    > can find no add-on utility to these programs that might provide such
    > capability.

    Umm... it seems odd that nobody's mentioned Thunderbird, which is
    fully HTML capable. http://www.mozilla.org/ports/os2

    (PMMail, while it doesn't support HTML itself, does do two things to
    help with it: first, it tries to strip all HTML tags out of the message
    and just display the raw text, which is sometimes adequate; second, it
    provides a menu option "view message in browser" which launches the
    default web browser and displays the current message in it.)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  6. Re: Can any OS/2 Email program handle html?

    Bob wrote:
    > Is there any good OS/2 Email program that also can handle html markup?
    > I get a lot of mail from Windows users that employ, for example,
    > Eurdora as their Email application, and such mail usually is all html
    > markup or combines what is referred to as text and styled (i.e., html)
    > formatting.
    >
    > I have been using Postroad Mailer, and I need to go to a better (and
    > supported) Email program. I have looked at the descriptions of
    > Mr/2 ICE and PMMAIL/2, but neither mention having the ability to
    > process mail with embedded html markup. Since such support would
    > not be trivial, I assume they cannot handle it. Checking Hobbes, I
    > can find no add-on utility to these programs that might provide such
    > capability.
    >
    > Any information pointing me toward a solution would be most
    > appreciated.

    I use the Mozilla 'Sea Monkey' browser which has a built-in email client
    that displays and authors hyper-text markup language (HTML) without any
    problems.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  7. Re: Can any OS/2 Email program handle html?

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:35:02 UTC, Alex Taylor
    wrote:

    -> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:44:31 GMT, Bob wrote:
    -> > Is there any good OS/2 Email program that also can handle html markup?
    -> > I get a lot of mail from Windows users that employ, for example,
    -> > Eurdora as their Email application, and such mail usually is all html
    -> > markup or combines what is referred to as text and styled (i.e., html)
    -> > formatting.
    -> >
    -> > I have been using Postroad Mailer, and I need to go to a better (and
    -> > supported) Email program. I have looked at the descriptions of
    -> > Mr/2 ICE and PMMAIL/2, but neither mention having the ability to
    -> > process mail with embedded html markup. Since such support would
    -> > not be trivial, I assume they cannot handle it. Checking Hobbes, I
    -> > can find no add-on utility to these programs that might provide such
    -> > capability.
    ->
    -> Umm... it seems odd that nobody's mentioned Thunderbird, which is
    -> fully HTML capable. http://www.mozilla.org/ports/os2
    ->
    -> (PMMail, while it doesn't support HTML itself, does do two things to
    -> help with it: first, it tries to strip all HTML tags out of the message
    -> and just display the raw text, which is sometimes adequate; second, it
    -> provides a menu option "view message in browser" which launches the
    -> default web browser and displays the current message in it.)
    ->

    Thunderbird is my choice, though I miss the power of MR2ICE. My
    problem with ICE was that I had over 2GB of mail and the drive died on
    me and I went to TB as a backup and never got around to
    resurrectingICE. Anyway ICE can view HTML the same as PMMail by
    calling your default browser for that MIME type.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

+ Reply to Thread