Need security information... - OS2

This is a discussion on Need security information... - OS2 ; I'm not quite sure is this is the right place to post this info but here it goes... I purchased a copy of warp 4 very long time ago. So this past weekend I decided to take it as a ...

  1. Need security information...

    I'm not quite sure is this is the right place to post this info but
    here it goes...
    I purchased a copy of warp 4 very long time ago. So this past weekend I
    decided to take it as a small project and run it one more time. So far
    so good. No complains. However, I need some information when it comes
    to security and OS/2 Warp 4. I have installed the following:
    - OS/2 WARP 4
    - Fixpack 15
    - Network card
    - Scitech SNAP Graphics/Pro
    - IBM Web Browser (Mozilla)
    - Firefox
    - WarpIn 1.0.6
    - InnoTek EMX
    - Flash Player
    - InnoTek GCC
    - Innotek FontEngine-260
    - Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.0.5

    So, my concern is with security. I would like to install any security
    patches that might be available out there. How do I go about it?
    I would like to upgrade my TCP/IP to the latest version if possible.
    Where do I get this? Any help info would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Need security information...

    warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm not quite sure is this is the right place to post this info but
    > here it goes...
    > I purchased a copy of warp 4 very long time ago. So this past weekend I
    > decided to take it as a small project and run it one more time. So far
    > so good. No complains. However, I need some information when it comes
    > to security and OS/2 Warp 4. I have installed the following:
    > - OS/2 WARP 4
    > - Fixpack 15
    > - Network card
    > - Scitech SNAP Graphics/Pro
    > - IBM Web Browser (Mozilla)
    > - Firefox
    > - WarpIn 1.0.6
    > - InnoTek EMX
    > - Flash Player
    > - InnoTek GCC
    > - Innotek FontEngine-260
    > - Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.0.5
    >
    > So, my concern is with security. I would like to install any security
    > patches that might be available out there. How do I go about it?
    > I would like to upgrade my TCP/IP to the latest version if possible.
    > Where do I get this? Any help info would be appreciated.

    There are not any specific 'security' patches for Warp 4 that I know of.
    IBM has provided updates for Warp 4 components that are mostly free
    downloads (until they go away in December) at:

    http://www7.boulder.ibm.com/pspfixpk.nsf

    Warp 4 had the 16-bit TCP/IP (v4.0x) while the later versions had the
    32-bit TCP/IP (v4.1, 4.2, 4.3). There is no way to legally get a
    license for the 32-bit TCP/IP from IBM anymore that I know of. IBM has
    mostly left the OS/2 business and will be out of it completely as of
    12/31/06 AFAIK.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  3. Re: Need security information...

    Sir:

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I'm not quite sure is this is the right place to post this info but
    >> here it goes...
    >> I purchased a copy of warp 4 very long time ago. So this past weekend I
    >> decided to take it as a small project and run it one more time. So far
    >> so good. No complains. However, I need some information when it comes
    >> to security and OS/2 Warp 4. I have installed the following:
    >> - OS/2 WARP 4
    >> - Fixpack 15
    >> - Network card
    >> - Scitech SNAP Graphics/Pro
    >> - IBM Web Browser (Mozilla)
    >> - Firefox
    >> - WarpIn 1.0.6
    >> - InnoTek EMX
    >> - Flash Player
    >> - InnoTek GCC
    >> - Innotek FontEngine-260
    >> - Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.0.5
    >>
    >> So, my concern is with security. I would like to install any security
    >> patches that might be available out there. How do I go about it?
    >> I would like to upgrade my TCP/IP to the latest version if possible.
    >> Where do I get this? Any help info would be appreciated.
    >>

    > There are not any specific 'security' patches for Warp 4 that I know of.
    > IBM has provided updates for Warp 4 components that are mostly free
    > downloads (until they go away in December) at:
    >
    > http://www7.boulder.ibm.com/pspfixpk.nsf
    >
    > Warp 4 had the 16-bit TCP/IP (v4.0x) while the later versions had the
    > 32-bit TCP/IP (v4.1, 4.2, 4.3). There is no way to legally get a
    > license for the 32-bit TCP/IP from IBM anymore that I know of. IBM has
    > mostly left the OS/2 business and will be out of it completely as of
    > 12/31/06 AFAIK.

    One can still update to 32-bit TCPIP, even though OS/2 32-bit TCPIP is
    getting old. has the list and
    links to the updates that can be done. Just as David says, get them
    before they disappear.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Need security information...

    Here in comp.os.os2.misc, warpman999@yahoo.com spake unto us, saying:

    >So, my concern is with security. I would like to install any security
    >patches that might be available out there. How do I go about it?

    If you purchase a hardware firewall box or run a dedicated standalone
    software firewall on an older PC (I do the latter), then the amount of
    exposure that your desktop PCs will have to the outside internet will
    be GREATLY reduced.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  5. Re: Need security information...

    In <1160492496.268356.210910@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, on
    10/10/2006
    at 08:01 AM, warpman999@yahoo.com said:

    >So, my concern is with security. I would like to install any security
    >patches that might be available out there. How do I go about it?

    The easiest way is to upgrade to eComStation. The next easies is to
    procure the Merlin Convenience Pack from IBM, which will bring you up
    to 4.5 (4.52?), then apply any outstanding TCP/IP fixes. I doubt that
    all of the security fixes are available for the old TCP/IP stack, so
    if you're concerned about security you almost certainly need 4.5 or
    better.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  6. Re: Need security information...

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:01:36 UTC, warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:

    > So, my concern is with security. I would like to install any security
    > patches that might be available out there. How do I go about it?
    > I would like to upgrade my TCP/IP to the latest version if possible.
    > Where do I get this? Any help info would be appreciated.

    I would recomment that you upgrades to eComStation 1.2R. That gives
    you the ability to install directly on AMD64 from CD (no prior OS/2
    version can do that). It comes with the most current tcp/ip on board,
    a firewall, gives you with the ecs maintenance tool (most current
    version downloadabe for free) the ability to install fixpacks, fixes,
    new drivers and so on with 2 single mouse clicks (the first: download,
    the second: install). And it is still maintained for forseeable time.

    It comes with SNAP as default driver for your graphic card.

    will inform you.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  7. Re: Need security information...

    Thanks to all your replies. One thing I forgot to mention is that I
    don't want to spend any money as is the case about people recommending
    ecomm.
    In regards to the tcp/ip, the more I read about the fixes the more
    confuse I get . If some one could just tell me how to do step 1, 2,
    3... etc... it would be great!
    For example, I have warp 4 with fixpack 15, so, now what would be my
    next step to upgrade MPTS and TCP/IP to its latest version and where
    would I be able to get it. I don't need to know the whole history
    behind os/2 and its MPTS and TCP/IP fixes! How is it that I'm getting
    confuse? Well, there is tcp/ip 16 and 32. One uses a different fixpack
    then the other. Same deal with MPTS. MPTS is one thing and TCP/IP is
    another but they are connected/related. If I understand this whole
    thing correctly, to upgrade one I need to upgrade the other. So, here
    are 3 simple questions about the fixes how do I get the latest fixes
    and how do I install them?:

    1. Where do I get the latest MPTS fixes and how do I install it?
    2. Where do I get the latest TCP/IP fixes 16 or 32 and how do I install
    it?
    3. Where do I get FIXPACK 17 and how do I install it? Does fixpack 17
    has the latest version of MPTS and TCP/IP?

    Am, I missing anything?

    Any security tips? Anyone?

    Thanks again for the help/info.
    PS. I don't want to buy ecomm... at least not for now... ;-)

    warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm not quite sure is this is the right place to post this info but
    > here it goes...
    > I purchased a copy of warp 4 very long time ago. So this past weekend I
    > decided to take it as a small project and run it one more time. So far
    > so good. No complains. However, I need some information when it comes
    > to security and OS/2 Warp 4. I have installed the following:
    > - OS/2 WARP 4
    > - Fixpack 15
    > - Network card
    > - Scitech SNAP Graphics/Pro
    > - IBM Web Browser (Mozilla)
    > - Firefox
    > - WarpIn 1.0.6
    > - InnoTek EMX
    > - Flash Player
    > - InnoTek GCC
    > - Innotek FontEngine-260
    > - Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.0.5
    >
    > So, my concern is with security. I would like to install any security
    > patches that might be available out there. How do I go about it?
    > I would like to upgrade my TCP/IP to the latest version if possible.
    > Where do I get this? Any help info would be appreciated.

  8. Re: Need security information...

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:12:48 UTC, "warpman999"
    wrote:

    > 1. Where do I get the latest MPTS fixes and how do I install it?
    > 2. Where do I get the latest TCP/IP fixes 16 or 32 and how do I install
    > it?
    > 3. Where do I get FIXPACK 17 and how do I install it? Does fixpack 17
    > has the latest version of MPTS and TCP/IP?

    You can't - without paying money.

    Either
    a) get an IBM subscription (which is only until the end of the year
    anyway)
    b) get eCS

    There are no other legal options.
    --
    Bob Eager

  9. Re: Need security information...

    wrote:

    > Am, I missing anything?

    Yes. OS/2 WARP4 is over 10 years old and is problematic, respective
    imposssible to get installed on current hardware.

    > Any security tips? Anyone?

    Simple, go to
    and get ecomstation 1.2R. The CDs are on the
    fixpack levels of the last quarter of last year. It gives you the
    possibility to install the ecomstation maintenance tool that will you
    serve with each and any fix and driver available today. It will serve
    you with Java 1.4.2.9, a lot of useful tools you've never seen on
    WARP4 but will you let run each and any OS/2 application you owns. eCS
    is the most public known OEM OS/2 and gets actively maintained.

    > Thanks again for the help/info.
    > PS. I don't want to buy ecomm... at least not for now... ;-)

    Why not? It makes your live much easier as OS/2 was ever able to do.

    You needs weeks to get WARP4 halfways on the technical level eCS is
    on. You needs - beside format - only about 20 minutes from the first
    boot from its installation CD to have your local LAN in access,
    surfing through the WEB, reading news and mails. There are so many
    applications around now requiring OS/2 WARP 4.52 or eComStation but
    unable to run right on WARP4 because the asystem gots so many extensed
    features who are unknown on WARP4. That includes even the abilities of
    seamonkey and its sisters.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  10. Re: Need security information...

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:50:24 UTC, "Herbert Rosenau" wrote:

    > > PS. I don't want to buy ecomm... at least not for now... ;-)

    > Why not? It makes your live much easier as OS/2 was ever able to do.
    >
    > You needs weeks to get WARP4 halfways on the technical level eCS is
    > on. You needs - beside format - only about 20 minutes from the first
    > boot from its installation CD to have your local LAN in access,
    > surfing through the WEB, reading news and mails.

    Perhaps he should get the demo CD from
    http://www.ecomstation.com/demo.phtml
    (Or does that not boot on AMD64?)
    Then it's only few minutes from booting to using OS/2 in a pretty new
    version. Afterwards he might be convinced to buy it -- or not...
    --
    Greetings, | My From: address is valid as is the version without "spam"
    Peter. | I try to find real messages among the spam every few days

  11. Re: Need security information...

    On 12 Oct 2006 08:12:48 -0700, warpman999 wrote:
    > In regards to the tcp/ip, the more I read about the fixes the more
    > confuse I get . If some one could just tell me how to do step 1, 2,
    > 3... etc... it would be great!

    The problem is that steps 1, 2, 3 depends on what you need, and what
    tradeoffs you're willing to accept.

    See: http://www.cs-club.org/~alex/os2/fixpaks/mpts.html
    and: http://www.cs-club.org/~alex/os2/fixpaks/tcpip.html

    > Well, there is tcp/ip 16 and 32. One uses a different fixpack then the
    > other. Same deal with MPTS. MPTS is one thing and TCP/IP is another but
    > they are connected/related. If I understand this whole thing correctly,
    > to upgrade one I need to upgrade the other. So, here are 3 simple
    > questions about the fixes how do I get the latest fixes and how do I
    > install them?:
    >
    > 1. Where do I get the latest MPTS fixes and how do I install it?

    You _probably_ want the 32-bit MPTS; it's considerably more capable (and
    faster) than the old 16-bit stack. There are a couple of caveats
    involved, if you're not able to also install the commercial TCP/IP 4.1/2/3
    package; see the bottom of the first linked page (above) for details.

    To install it:

    1. Download WR_8610 from
    ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/pro.../wr08610_conv/

    These are disk images and must be extracted using something like
    DSKXTRCT (available on Hobbes).

    Once you have them extracted, you can simply run the included install
    program (I think you just run mpts.exe).

    Reboot.

    2. Download WR_8621 from:
    ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/pro...ish-us/wr08621

    These are also disk images and must again be extracted using something
    like DSKXTRCT.

    Once you have them extracted, download the RSU version of the
    Corrective Service Facility from:
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/produc...rsu/csf144.zip
    Unzip it into a directory of your choice.

    Once this is done, you can start the FixPak installation by going to
    the directory where you unzipped CSF144.ZIP, and entering the command:

    OS2SERV

    (You must specify the paths in fully-qualified form.) This will
    give you a guided (GUI) installation, which is fairly easy to
    follow.

    After installing the FixPak, but BEFORE REBOOTING, you must:
    i) Unzip TCPCOEX.ZIP (provided with WR_8621).
    ii) Backup your existing \TCPIP\BIN\TCPCOEX.EXE and then replace it
    with the unzipped TCPCOEX.EXE.

    > 2. Where do I get the latest TCP/IP fixes 16 or 32 and how do I install
    > it?

    ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/pro...versal/un_0980

    Install it using the same technique as WR_8621 (minus the extra step with
    TCPCOEX).

    > 3. Where do I get FIXPACK 17 and how do I install it?

    Unless you have an OS/2 service contract through Passport Advantage, you
    don't.

    > Does fixpack 17 has the latest version of MPTS and TCP/IP?

    No.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  12. Re: Need security information...

    Alex, Great info!!! Thanks so much!!! I really appreciated the info.

+ Reply to Thread