Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard - OS2

This is a discussion on Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard - OS2 ; Hi all I'm baffled and am hoping for some suggestions to help me here. I've recently acquired a new laptop and am busy migrating all my systems up one so I can dispose of the slowest hardware - which happens ...

  1. Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard

    Hi all

    I'm baffled and am hoping for some suggestions to help me here. I've
    recently acquired a new laptop and am busy migrating all my systems up
    one so I can dispose of the slowest hardware - which happens to be my
    main OS/2 machine. This box was a dual processor P-III 1GHz with 640MB
    RAM and an LSi MegaRAID Express 500 with 4 x 18GB disks in a RAID 5
    array and I spent yesterday evening dismantling the next machine up
    and transplanting the motherboard into this system. It is now:

    A Tyan S2466M with dual AMD Athlon MP 2200+
    1GB DDR ECC RAM

    This has gone into the same case as the old system and has the
    following items which were already in the old system

    Enermax 465W PSU
    LSi MegaRAID Express 500
    4 x 18GB disks in the same (untouched) RAID 5 array
    Adaptec 2940UW with 4GB IBM disk, Plextor 32X CD-ROM, Plextor 32/10
    CD-RW
    Matrox G400
    AOpen DVD+RW IDE drive attached to secondary IDE controller (nothing
    on primary)

    The transplant seems to have worked, the RAID 5 array survived intact
    and everything looks OK. It boots up, the BIOS shows, the LSi BIOS
    shows, the Adaptec 2940UW BIOS shows, LILO comes up and lets me choose
    between Boot Manager or Linux. Linux works fine. Boot Manager comes up
    and has listings for 4 different OS/2 systems on it - plain Warp 4
    with fixpack 5, plain Warp 4 with fixpack 16 on it, Warp Server
    Advanced SMP and WSeB (ACP1) with fixpack XR_C005 on it. Of those 4
    OS/2 systems, I've tried all but WSA-SMP. They all do exactly the same
    thing... it boots, it shows OS2APIC messages saying '2 cpu's
    initialised', it displays Adaptec and/or LSi SCSI controller driver
    messages that say they're OK then it clears the screen (as it would if
    it was going to the next step) and the monitor powers down and stays
    that way. Nothing then works - Alt-Ctrl-Numlock-Numlock fails,
    Alt-Ctrl-F10-F10 fails, Alt-Ctrl-Del does nothing, the only thing that
    works is to go and press the hardware reset switch (or the power
    button). It does this regardless of whether I try to boot to the
    desktop or to a command prompt or reset to VGA or anything else that I
    can think of.

    I've fiddled with all the BIOS settings that I can think of - MPS
    mode, AGP fast write, AGP speeds etc. I've tried a different Matrox
    G550 card and that did the same thing. I have no idea what to try
    next. I've booted Linux and started an X session then simultaneously
    run 'bonnie' and some cpu intensive tasks to stress the system (I
    thought it might be PSU related but it survived that lot quite
    happily). I've commented out anything to do with APM from config.x and
    removed everything else I could think of that isn't mission critical.
    Nada.

    Anyone else got any brilliant ideas 'cos I'm completely out!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley
    Brighton, UK

  2. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard

    PNP bios issue?

    might also be worth booting DFSee, for some strange reason I've had
    issues with Adaptec cards changing their minus about disk geometries --
    or maybe it's that system changes make OSes aware of partition types
    they weren't before.

  3. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard

    On 06/10/08 13:09 (GMT-0500) Trevor Hemsley apparently typed:

    > I'm baffled and am hoping for some suggestions to help me here. I've
    > recently acquired a new laptop and am busy migrating all my systems up
    > one so I can dispose of the slowest hardware - which happens to be my
    > main OS/2 machine. This box was a dual processor P-III 1GHz with 640MB
    > RAM and an LSi MegaRAID Express 500 with 4 x 18GB disks in a RAID 5
    > array and I spent yesterday evening dismantling the next machine up
    > and transplanting the motherboard into this system. It is now:

    > A Tyan S2466M with dual AMD Athlon MP 2200+
    > 1GB DDR ECC RAM

    > This has gone into the same case as the old system and has the
    > following items which were already in the old system

    > Enermax 465W PSU
    > LSi MegaRAID Express 500
    > 4 x 18GB disks in the same (untouched) RAID 5 array
    > Adaptec 2940UW with 4GB IBM disk, Plextor 32X CD-ROM, Plextor 32/10 CD-RW
    > Matrox G400
    > AOpen DVD+RW IDE drive attached to secondary IDE controller (nothing
    > on primary)

    > The transplant seems to have worked, the RAID 5 array survived intact
    > and everything looks OK. It boots up, the BIOS shows, the LSi BIOS
    > shows, the Adaptec 2940UW BIOS shows, LILO comes up and lets me choose
    > between Boot Manager or Linux. Linux works fine. Boot Manager comes up
    > and has listings for 4 different OS/2 systems on it - plain Warp 4
    > with fixpack 5, plain Warp 4 with fixpack 16 on it, Warp Server
    > Advanced SMP and WSeB (ACP1) with fixpack XR_C005 on it. Of those 4
    > OS/2 systems, I've tried all but WSA-SMP. They all do exactly the same
    > thing... it boots, it shows OS2APIC messages saying '2 cpu's
    > initialised', it displays Adaptec and/or LSi SCSI controller driver
    > messages that say they're OK then it clears the screen (as it would if
    > it was going to the next step) and the monitor powers down and stays
    > that way. Nothing then works - Alt-Ctrl-Numlock-Numlock fails,
    > Alt-Ctrl-F10-F10 fails, Alt-Ctrl-Del does nothing, the only thing that
    > works is to go and press the hardware reset switch (or the power
    > button). It does this regardless of whether I try to boot to the
    > desktop or to a command prompt or reset to VGA or anything else that I
    > can think of.

    > I've fiddled with all the BIOS settings that I can think of - MPS
    > mode, AGP fast write, AGP speeds etc. I've tried a different Matrox
    > G550 card and that did the same thing. I have no idea what to try
    > next. I've booted Linux and started an X session then simultaneously
    > run 'bonnie' and some cpu intensive tasks to stress the system (I
    > thought it might be PSU related but it survived that lot quite
    > happily). I've commented out anything to do with APM from config.x and
    > removed everything else I could think of that isn't mission critical.
    > Nada.

    > Anyone else got any brilliant ideas 'cos I'm completely out!

    Dunno if any are brilliant, but there are several:

    BIOS upgrade or downgrade.
    Pull the AGP and try PCI video.
    Pull the RAID card.
    Try the PCI devices in a different installed slot mix.
    Put the burner on IDE0 instead of IDE1.
    Disable the unused IDE interface.
    Disable Firewire, USB, LPT and/or COM ports in BIOS.
    Switch the mouse to USB.
    --
    "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
    and I am helped." Psalm 28:7 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

  4. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard (Solved)

    On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:15:16 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Felix Miata
    wrote:

    > Disable Firewire, USB, LPT and/or COM ports in BIOS.

    Bloody USB. I've never got USB to work on any of my OS/2 systems, oh with the
    exception of the Thinkpad A30 that I sold recently. On all others it just plain
    doesn't work or, worse, like this, completely &^%@*s things up. Disable USB in
    the BIOS lets me boot. Now to get everything else to work...

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  5. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard (Solved)

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:15:16 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Felix Miata
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Disable Firewire, USB, LPT and/or COM ports in BIOS.

    > Bloody USB. I've never got USB to work on any of my OS/2 systems, oh with the
    > exception of the Thinkpad A30 that I sold recently. On all others it just plain
    > doesn't work or, worse, like this, completely &^%@*s things up. Disable USB in
    > the BIOS lets me boot. Now to get everything else to work...

    Look in the hardware manager and see what irqs are being used by the usb
    controller(s). If they are the same ones as other hardware that refuses
    to share (such as an older sound card), then move the card around or
    fiddle with the bios settings until you fix the situation. Otherwise,
    USB on should be working okay for you with the last few sets of drivers,
    unless you have very early onboard usb controllers or you are using an
    old usb add-on card or something. It's hard to use printers, mouse,
    memory keys, digital camera, etc. without it.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  6. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard (Solved)

    Hi Trevor

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:15:16 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Felix Miata
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Disable Firewire, USB, LPT and/or COM ports in BIOS.

    > Bloody USB. I've never got USB to work on any of my OS/2 systems, oh with the
    > exception of the Thinkpad A30 that I sold recently. On all others it just plain
    > doesn't work or, worse, like this, completely &^%@*s things up.

    An interesting viewpoint that I do not agree with.

    I *know* the current IBM USB drivers are not perfect but they do work -
    mainly - when installed and configured properly. Success sometimes
    depends on other drivers as well such as os2dasd.dmd...

    Where the IBM USB drivers fails for me is that they do not support
    Internal USB Cardreaders ie stick card in slot and *Nothing* happens, no
    notification of new drive attached; but refreshing the Drives folder
    view shows the newly attached drive and it is fully accessible :-)

    USBcfg may be helpful in configuring USB after installation of required
    USB drivers. If nothing else USBcfg does collate the various USB Readme
    files driver parameters into the Help file along with a USB Removables
    FAQ which may be of help/interest
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

    Disable USB in
    > the BIOS lets me boot. Now to get everything else to work...

    That sounds like some sort of resource conflict, good chance that a
    driver involved somewhere does not share IRQs very well. Might be worth
    checking for later versions of sound, nic, scsi and ide drivers which
    may have better IRQ sharing capability.

    Regards

    Pete

  7. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard (Solved)

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:39:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "David T. Johnson"
    wrote:

    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > > On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:15:16 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Felix Miata
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Disable Firewire, USB, LPT and/or COM ports in BIOS.

    > > Bloody USB. I've never got USB to work on any of my OS/2 systems, oh with the
    > > exception of the Thinkpad A30 that I sold recently. On all others it just plain
    > > doesn't work or, worse, like this, completely &^%@*s things up. Disable USB in
    > > the BIOS lets me boot. Now to get everything else to work...

    > Look in the hardware manager and see what irqs are being used by the usb
    > controller(s). If they are the same ones as other hardware that refuses
    > to share (such as an older sound card), then move the card around or
    > fiddle with the bios settings until you fix the situation. Otherwise,
    > USB on should be working okay for you with the last few sets of drivers,
    > unless you have very early onboard usb controllers or you are using an
    > old usb add-on card or something. It's hard to use printers, mouse,
    > memory keys, digital camera, etc. without it.

    a) I can't boot with the USB controllers enabled
    b) with them disabled they don't show up in the PCI device list at all
    c) I have no USB drivers loaded in config.sys

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  8. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard (Solved)

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:52:43 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Hi Trevor
    >
    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > > On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:15:16 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Felix Miata
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Disable Firewire, USB, LPT and/or COM ports in BIOS.

    > > Bloody USB. I've never got USB to work on any of my OS/2 systems, oh with the
    > > exception of the Thinkpad A30 that I sold recently. On all others it just plain
    > > doesn't work or, worse, like this, completely &^%@*s things up.

    > An interesting viewpoint that I do not agree with.
    >
    > I *know* the current IBM USB drivers are not perfect but they do work -
    > mainly - when installed and configured properly. Success sometimes
    > depends on other drivers as well such as os2dasd.dmd...

    I don't *have* ANY USB drivers in config.sys at all - everything is REMed out.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  9. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard (Solved)

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > a) I can't boot with the USB controllers enabled

    One possibility would be two pieces of USB hardware are trying to use
    the same resource. Perhaps you have an onboard USB controller and an
    add-on card of some sort with a USB controller? Does HCIMONIT show any
    controllers when the USB controllers have been disabled? Will the
    system boot something besides OS/2? If you do Alt-F2 at
    initialization, what driver is loading when the system booting halts?

    > b) with them disabled they don't show up in the PCI device list at all
    > c) I have no USB drivers loaded in config.sys

    This sounds more like hardware than OS/2 system software. Could the USB
    controller(s) be grabbing an IRQ for another device that will not share?
    That could halt the booting and leave you with a blank screen and a
    blinking cursor. Try and see what the IRQ assignments are used for all
    of the hardware that are displayed by the BIOS when it initializes
    (usually the first screen or so after power up before OS/2, Windows, or
    Boot Manager). It might flash by really fast but if you do it a couple
    of times you might be able to write them down. Alternatively, if you
    have a floppy, put some non-bootable disk in it and set the sytem to
    boot off it first and maybe the boot will halt with a complaint while
    showing you the hardware irq screen.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  10. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard (Solved)

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 23:29:17 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "David T. Johnson"
    wrote:

    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >
    > > a) I can't boot with the USB controllers enabled

    > One possibility would be two pieces of USB hardware are trying to use
    > the same resource. Perhaps you have an onboard USB controller and an
    > add-on card of some sort with a USB controller? Does HCIMONIT show any
    > controllers when the USB controllers have been disabled? Will the
    > system boot something besides OS/2? If you do Alt-F2 at
    > initialization, what driver is loading when the system booting halts?

    hcimonit says I have no USB controllers. It quite happily boots Linux which is
    the only non-OS/2 o/s on this machine - oh and it boots PC-DOS from diskette,
    which I did to flash the latest BIOS in case it might help (it didn't). Alt+F2
    when it shows anything listed at all, lists JFS.IFS as the last thing to load. I
    have no JFS formatted drives on this machine.

    It has this problem on an Alt+F1 boot to a command prompt (F2) and I have REMMed
    everything from the config.x that this uses except

    BASEDEV=IBMKBD.SYS
    BASEDEV=TIMER0.SYS
    BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD
    BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD
    BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD
    BASEDEV=CHKDSK.SYS
    BASEDEV=OS2SCSI.DMD
    basedev=mraid.add
    BASEDEV=AIC7870.ADD

    > > b) with them disabled they don't show up in the PCI device list at all
    > > c) I have no USB drivers loaded in config.sys

    > This sounds more like hardware than OS/2 system software. Could the USB
    > controller(s) be grabbing an IRQ for another device that will not share?
    > That could halt the booting and leave you with a blank screen and a
    > blinking cursor. Try and see what the IRQ assignments are used for all
    > of the hardware that are displayed by the BIOS when it initializes

    This BIOS does not display any info like that. It doesn't leave me with a
    flashing cursor, it powers down the entire screen - the little green light on
    the front goes orange and that's it. Ctrl-Alt-numlock-numlock does nothing which
    means os2krnl is as dead as a dodo - that usually works even when Ctrl-Alt-Del
    does not. Once it's in this state it's the hardware reset switch or poweroff,
    nothing else works.

    rmview /irq reports

    RMVIEW: Physical view
    > IRQ Level = 0 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE TIMER_CH_0
    > IRQ Level = 1 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE KBD_0 Keyboard Controller
    > IRQ Level = 2 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE PIC_1
    > IRQ Level = 3 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = MULTIPLEXED SERIAL_1 Serial Controller
    > IRQ Level = 4 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = MULTIPLEXED SERIAL_0 Serial Controller
    > IRQ Level = 7 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = MULTIPLEXED PARALLEL_0 Parallel Port Adapter
    > IRQ Level = 8 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE RTC
    > IRQ Level = 9 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = SHARED AIC7870_0 Adaptec 7800 Family SCSI Adapter
    > IRQ Level = 11 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = SHARED AIC7870_1 Adaptec 7800 Family SCSI Adapter
    > IRQ Level = 12 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = SHARED AUX_0 PS/2 Auxiliary Device Controller
    > IRQ Level = 15 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE IDE_1 xATA Controller

    but it's also done this with both IDE controllers disabled in the BIOS, with one
    of the Adaptec cards removed and with both serial ports and the parallel port
    disabled so there are plenty of free IRQs that it could use.

    I can live without USB. The USB on this motherboard is only 1.1 anyway so it's
    not a great loss.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  11. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard (Solved)

    Sir:

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:15:16 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Felix Miata
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Disable Firewire, USB, LPT and/or COM ports in BIOS.

    > Bloody USB. I've never got USB to work on any of my OS/2 systems, oh with the
    > exception of the Thinkpad A30 that I sold recently. On all others it just plain
    > doesn't work or, worse, like this, completely &^%@*s things up. Disable USB in
    > the BIOS lets me boot. Now to get everything else to work...

    Try Altf2on.$$$ file in root of boot (any of them). You do have a
    driver problem with USB hardware. Try setting the SMP to use one cpu
    during boot with the USB hardware enabled.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: Weird monitor powerdown on new motherboard (Solved)

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 23:29:17 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "David T. Johnson"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >>
    >>> a) I can't boot with the USB controllers enabled

    >> One possibility would be two pieces of USB hardware are trying to use
    >> the same resource. Perhaps you have an onboard USB controller and an
    >> add-on card of some sort with a USB controller? Does HCIMONIT show any
    >> controllers when the USB controllers have been disabled? Will the
    >> system boot something besides OS/2? If you do Alt-F2 at
    >> initialization, what driver is loading when the system booting halts?

    > hcimonit says I have no USB controllers. It quite happily boots Linux which is
    > the only non-OS/2 o/s on this machine - oh and it boots PC-DOS from diskette,
    > which I did to flash the latest BIOS in case it might help (it didn't). Alt+F2
    > when it shows anything listed at all, lists JFS.IFS as the last thing to load. I
    > have no JFS formatted drives on this machine.

    Okay, I'm assuming that you've turned on the USB controller and the
    system pauses with a blank screen (forever) after JFS.IFS loaded. That
    scenario sounds as if OS2KRNL is loading with the USB controller turned
    on. If that's the case, then things I would try would be 1) a different
    kernel (newer or older, whichever) 2) rem out jfs.ifs in config.sys
    (also, is unicode.sys before jfs.ifs?) 3) an updated SNAP video driver
    for the G400 (it would also be interesting to see if it boots with the
    usb controller on and the vga driver (type 'setvga' from a PM command
    prompt).

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a