Manual Networking Installation for OS/2 Warp 4 - OS2

This is a discussion on Manual Networking Installation for OS/2 Warp 4 - OS2 ; Cross-posted because I am not certain which group, if either, is corrrect. OK, I'm confused. Let me explain what I am trying to do. After giving the matter a lot of thought, I purchased a new computer to replace my ...

  1. Manual Networking Installation for OS/2 Warp 4

    Cross-posted because I am not certain which group, if either, is
    corrrect.

    OK, I'm confused. Let me explain what I am trying to do.

    After giving the matter a lot of thought, I purchased a new computer
    to replace my OS/2 machine and decided to install OS/2 Warp 4 on it.
    This is a massive improvement: the hardware is far more powerful and
    Warp 4 includes networking. At least in theory.

    I set up the 20GB hard drive with Partition Magic to have one 125MB
    FAT partition (for MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11, and, if needed,
    Lantastic 8 for DOS), two 512MB FAT partitions (one for MS-DOS/Windows
    programs, one for MS-DOS/Windows data), one 1GB HPFS partition (for
    OS/2 Warp 4 itself) and one 2GB HPFS partition (for all the other
    OS/2-related stuff I have).

    I then installed MS-DOS. MS-DOS decided to reformat the drive as a
    single 2GB partition. After restoring the situation with Partition
    Magic and verifying that MS-DOS was still booting, I installed
    Windows. Now it was OS/2's turn!

    I first tried to use the original three disk set from IBM.
    Unfortunately, fdisk saw my 20GB hard drive as a 20GB partition called
    "MSDOS". Oops!

    As it happens, I have a four-disk set created by OS/2 Warp 4 FP10 (a
    completely different computer came with OS/2 Warp 4 on it, but that
    computer was replaced with my Windows XP machine). Of course, this set
    ends with a command line, since that is it's purpose. Using this set
    and typing "cdinst" from the diskette (as opposed to the OS/2 Warp 4
    CD-ROM) brought up the installation program and fdisk now saw the disk
    the same way Partition Magic did. Installing Boot Manager in a very
    small partition I had created at the front of the HD (just before the
    125MB partition) worked fine and so did installing OS/2 Warp 4.

    Indeed, this worked three or four times before I rediscovered Alt+F1
    and installed to drivers that came with my video card.

    Now, my XP machine tells me that the "network cable is unplugged"
    whenever I turn the OS/2 machine off, so the 3Com 3C905B NIC is
    clearly present and working, but OS/2 knows nothing of it. There are
    no network-related folders, executables, installers, LAN NIC-related
    entries in the installation program -- nothing.

    I have a copy of the Device Driver Pak 1.05 on CD-ROM. It installed
    Netscape. Netscape won't run -- this version apparently requires
    networking to already be installed. Information in the HTML files can,
    however, still be read by the OS/2 System Editor, and it appears that
    the OS/2 CD-ROM should have the drivers.

    My guess is that just typing "cdinst" on the floppy diskette did not
    work because parameters were omitted. But that is only a guess.

    So, is there a way to install networking, presumably from the OS/2
    Warp 4 CD-ROM, without reinstalling all of OS/2 Warp 4?
    --
    "I find that a great many things which have been conclusively
    demonstrated by the Ancients are unintelligible to the

  2. Re: Manual Networking Installation for OS/2 Warp 4

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:49:56 GMT, Paul S Person
    wrote:
    > There are no network-related folders, executables, installers, LAN
    > NIC-related entries in the installation program -- nothing.
    >
    > So, is there a way to install networking, presumably from the OS/2
    > Warp 4 CD-ROM, without reinstalling all of OS/2 Warp 4?

    Insert the OS/2 Warp 4 CD-ROM, change to the root directory of the CD, and
    run INSTALL.CMD. That will invoke the networking installation.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  3. Re: Manual Networking Installation for OS/2 Warp 4

    On 19 Sep 2006 10:06:03 -0500, Alex Taylor
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:49:56 GMT, Paul S Person
    > wrote:
    >> There are no network-related folders, executables, installers, LAN
    >> NIC-related entries in the installation program -- nothing.
    >>
    >> So, is there a way to install networking, presumably from the OS/2
    >> Warp 4 CD-ROM, without reinstalling all of OS/2 Warp 4?

    >Insert the OS/2 Warp 4 CD-ROM, change to the root directory of the CD, and
    >run INSTALL.CMD. That will invoke the networking installation.

    It sure did! Thanks!
    --
    "I find that a great many things which have been conclusively
    demonstrated by the Ancients are unintelligible to the
    bulk of the Moderns owing to their ignorance"

+ Reply to Thread