idiots guide to fixpacks? - OS2

This is a discussion on idiots guide to fixpacks? - OS2 ; Hi, Is there an idiots guide to fix packs for warp 3.00? All I can see on IBMs web site is :- 1/ English-US Fix Pack XR_W032 for OS/2 Warp Connect 2/ English-UK Fix Pack XRUW040 for Warp Connect What's ...

  1. idiots guide to fixpacks?

    Hi,
    Is there an idiots guide to fix packs for warp 3.00? All I can see on
    IBMs web site is :-
    1/ English-US Fix Pack XR_W032 for OS/2 Warp Connect
    2/ English-UK Fix Pack XRUW040 for Warp Connect
    What's the difference and why does it matter if it does?
    Do I have to install the whole lot of disk images, or can I pick just
    the ones I think I might need?

    Regards Steve jarvis

  2. Re: idiots guide to fixpacks?

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 23:04:49 UTC, steve
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Is there an idiots guide to fix packs for warp 3.00? All I can see on
    > IBMs web site is :-
    > 1/ English-US Fix Pack XR_W032 for OS/2 Warp Connect
    > 2/ English-UK Fix Pack XRUW040 for Warp Connect
    > What's the difference and why does it matter if it does?

    XRUW040 is later (and the last one for Warp 3, although 42 is available
    for Warp Server and can be persuaded to install).

    > Do I have to install the whole lot of disk images, or can I pick just
    > the ones I think I might need?

    It's far far better to install the lot. There will be interdependencies.

    You don't have to make real diskettes. Here are some instructions:

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/fixpaks.html

  3. Re: idiots guide to fixpacks?

    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex/os2/fixpaks/index.html

    > All I can see on IBMs web site is :-
    > 1/ English-US Fix Pack XR_W032 for OS/2 Warp Connect
    > 2/ English-UK Fix Pack XRUW040 for Warp Connect
    > What's the difference and why does it matter if it does?

    (1) is FixPak 32. (2) is FixPak 40. FixPak 40 is more recent, as you can
    probably guess. The other difference is that (1) is the US-English
    version, and (2) is the UK English version. If you have the UK English
    version of OS/2, I'd suggest installing the UK English FixPak.

    (You can get US English FixPak 40 as well, BTW.)

    > Do I have to install the whole lot of disk images, or can I pick just
    > the ones I think I might need?

    You need all of them. But you don't need to create floppies. In fact, if
    you have an Internet connection on that box, you can do the whole thing
    over the web. Go here:
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex/os2/fixpaks/rsu/index.html

    And read the installation instructions.

    Note that I only have a link to US English, not UK English. If you want
    me to make the UK English FixPak 40 available, let me know. It's the work
    of a few minutes to add it.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  4. Re: idiots guide to fixpacks?

    Hi,
    Thanks to both of you for the help.
    I am trying to improve the VGA graphics to SVGA with the radeon 7200
    graphics card I have hence the desire to install fixpacks and hope to
    install graphic drivers if possible.
    Having transferred the fix packs to the hard drive the fixtool tells
    me that the directory etc does not exist. Reading the about the fixtool
    leads me to think the disk images are corrupt. I can't think why other
    than the fact that I downloaded them via Opera on a PC using Windows. I
    know from downloading macintosh files that sometimes you can end up with
    a lot of text and not a binary. Do you think this might be the problem?
    Unfortunately I don't have internet access via OS/2 Warp 3.00 at the
    moment. I could try using a 56k modem but I'm not sure that would be
    fast enough for the RSU approach

    Regards Steve jarvis

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:04:49 +0100, steve <> wrote:
    >> Is there an idiots guide to fix packs for warp 3.00?

    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex/os2/fixpaks/index.html
    >

    >> All I can see on IBMs web site is :-
    >> 1/ English-US Fix Pack XR_W032 for OS/2 Warp Connect
    >> 2/ English-UK Fix Pack XRUW040 for Warp Connect
    >> What's the difference and why does it matter if it does?

    > (1) is FixPak 32. (2) is FixPak 40. FixPak 40 is more recent, as you can
    > probably guess. The other difference is that (1) is the US-English
    > version, and (2) is the UK English version. If you have the UK English
    > version of OS/2, I'd suggest installing the UK English FixPak.
    >
    > (You can get US English FixPak 40 as well, BTW.)
    >

    >> Do I have to install the whole lot of disk images, or can I pick just
    >> the ones I think I might need?

    > You need all of them. But you don't need to create floppies. In fact, if
    > you have an Internet connection on that box, you can do the whole thing
    > over the web. Go here:
    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex/os2/fixpaks/rsu/index.html
    >
    > And read the installation instructions.
    >
    > Note that I only have a link to US English, not UK English. If you want
    > me to make the UK English FixPak 40 available, let me know. It's the work
    > of a few minutes to add it.

  5. Re: idiots guide to fixpacks?

    steve wrote:
    > I am trying to improve the VGA graphics to SVGA with the radeon
    > 7200 graphics card I have hence the desire to install fixpacks and hope
    > to install graphic drivers if possible.

    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you might want to look at
    the Scitech SNAP graphics drivers, free for personal use. I don't know
    if they support your particular card.

    http://www.scitechsoft.com/

  6. Re: idiots guide to fixpacks?

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:54:48 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Peter Flass
    wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    > > I am trying to improve the VGA graphics to SVGA with the radeon
    > > 7200 graphics card I have hence the desire to install fixpacks and hope
    > > to install graphic drivers if possible.

    > I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you might want to look at
    > the Scitech SNAP graphics drivers, free for personal use. I don't know
    > if they support your particular card.
    >
    > http://www.scitechsoft.com/

    To use SNAP you need to be at a certain fixpack level on Warp 3 before it will
    work I believe - probably 32 is the minimum.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  7. Re: idiots guide to fixpacks?

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:06:31 -0500, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >> > I am trying to improve the VGA graphics to SVGA with the radeon
    >> > 7200 graphics card I have hence the desire to install fixpacks and hope
    >> > to install graphic drivers if possible.

    >> I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you might want to look at
    >> the Scitech SNAP graphics drivers, free for personal use. I don't know
    >> if they support your particular card.
    >>
    >> http://www.scitechsoft.com/

    > To use SNAP you need to be at a certain fixpack level on Warp 3 before it will
    > work I believe - probably 32 is the minimum.

    35, I think.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  8. Re: idiots guide to fixpacks?

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:24:02 UTC, Alex Taylor
    wrote:

    > >> I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you might want to look at
    > >> the Scitech SNAP graphics drivers, free for personal use. I don't know
    > >> if they support your particular card.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.scitechsoft.com/

    > > To use SNAP you need to be at a certain fixpack level on Warp 3 before it will
    > > work I believe - probably 32 is the minimum.

    > 35, I think.

    The README says fixpack 35 for Warp 3, and fixpack 5 for Warp 4. It also
    says that newer fixpacks than these may solve some problems...

  9. Re: idiots guide to fixpacks?

    Hi,
    Thanks I'll try this link as I can't find a driver anywhere else.

    Regards Steve jarvis

    Peter Flass wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> I am trying to improve the VGA graphics to SVGA with the radeon
    >> 7200 graphics card I have hence the desire to install fixpacks and
    >> hope to install graphic drivers if possible.

    > I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you might want to look at
    > the Scitech SNAP graphics drivers, free for personal use. I don't know
    > if they support your particular card.
    >
    > http://www.scitechsoft.com/

+ Reply to Thread