Ipod ? - OS2

This is a discussion on Ipod ? - OS2 ; Anyone here who got data transfer working between Apple Ipod (Nano) and OS/2 computer ?...

  1. Ipod ?

    Anyone here who got data transfer working
    between Apple Ipod (Nano) and OS/2 computer ?

  2. Re: Ipod ?

    Sir:

    R L wrote:
    > Anyone here who got data transfer working
    > between Apple Ipod (Nano) and OS/2 computer ?

    Physically, it is a serial connection (RS232). Would not a terminal
    emulation software work? Nay, it is more complex protocol
    . BTW, the download link
    from that page has software that could be ported.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Ipod ?

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 00:00:54 -0500, William L. Hartzell wrote:

    >Physically, it is a serial connection (RS232). Would not a terminal
    >emulation software work? Nay, it is more complex protocol
    >.

    That one is the protocol for the Ipod's accessory port
    which can be used to connect remote controls an such stuff.

    I'm more interested in the host connectivity over usb,
    which is used to upload or download media files.

  4. Re: Ipod ?

    Sir:

    R L wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 00:00:54 -0500, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> Physically, it is a serial connection (RS232). Would not a terminal
    >> emulation software work? Nay, it is more complex protocol
    >> .

    > That one is the protocol for the Ipod's accessory port
    > which can be used to connect remote controls an such stuff.
    >
    > I'm more interested in the host connectivity over usb,
    > which is used to upload or download media files.

    Then you would need to port the Linux USB driver to OS/2.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: Ipod ?

    William L. Hartzell
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > I'm more interested in the host connectivity over usb,
    > > which is used to upload or download media files.

    > Then you would need to port the Linux USB driver to OS/2.

    Yesterday I found usblib (sp?) on hobbes (in incoming, or new - do not
    remember). Is this what you meant?

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  6. Re: Ipod ?

    Sir:

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell
    > ], who wrote in article :
    >>> I'm more interested in the host connectivity over usb,
    >>> which is used to upload or download media files.

    >> Then you would need to port the Linux USB driver to OS/2.

    > Yesterday I found usblib (sp?) on hobbes (in incoming, or new - do not
    > remember). Is this what you meant?

    LibUSB is a library of common routines used by USB drivers and
    applications (libusb is in ptpro110.zip). Unfortunately, it is not a
    driver in itself. He might be able to use the USB direct driver
    (usbecd.sys), if ipod's usb only needs the correct ID and otherwise
    obeys the rules. PCI.exe and the USB Resource Manager can tell him the
    correct chip & ID.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: Ipod ?

    Sir:

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to William L. Hartzell
    > ], who wrote in article
    > :
    >>> I'm more interested in the host connectivity over usb, which is
    >>> used to upload or download media files.

    >> Then you would need to port the Linux USB driver to OS/2.

    > Yesterday I found usblib (sp?) on hobbes (in incoming, or new - do
    > not remember). Is this what you meant?

    LibUSB is a library of common routines used by USB drivers and
    applications (libusb is in ptpro110.zip). Unfortunately, it is not a
    driver in itself.

    He might be able to use the USB direct driver (usbecd.sys), if ipod's
    usb only needs the correct ID and otherwise obeys the rules. The USB
    Resource Manager can tell him the correct ID.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: Ipod ?

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to William L. Hartzell
    > > ], who wrote in article
    > > :

    > >> Then you would need to port the Linux USB driver to OS/2.

    > > Yesterday I found usblib (sp?) on hobbes (in incoming, or new - do
    > > not remember). Is this what you meant?
    > >

    > LibUSB is a library of common routines used by USB drivers and
    > applications (libusb is in ptpro110.zip). Unfortunately, it is not a
    > driver in itself.
    >
    > He might be able to use the USB direct driver (usbecd.sys), if ipod's
    > usb only needs the correct ID and otherwise obeys the rules. The USB
    > Resource Manager can tell him the correct ID.

    Usually, anyone who uses anything other than iTunes to connect to an
    iPod accesses it as a USB (or Firewire) mass storage device. They're
    formatted either as HFS+ for use with a Mac or FAT32 for use with
    Windows. However, you can't just copy MP3 files to them, because they
    have a song database that has to be updated, by software that
    understands the format. I've used myPod
    (http://mypod.sourceforge.net/), a Java 1.4 program, after I made a
    small change to support OS/2. (It will only work with Windows and
    Linux as is, because it runs shell commands to check the amount of free
    space on the iPod, and it hasn't been updated since 2003. You might
    also be able to use GNUpod (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/), which
    is a collection of Perl 5 scripts, but I haven't tried it yet.

    I had to convert my iPod from HFS+ to FAT32 in Linux, since I don't
    have a suitable Windows machine. I have trouble getting in recognized
    in OS/2, since I'm using old USB drivers (compiled from DDK.) Finally,
    it takes far longer to write to it in OS/2 than in Linux, and I suspect
    that the FAT32 IFS is responsible for that.

    Andrew

  9. Re: Ipod ?

    On 22 Sep 2006 23:16:38 -0700, alee67@gmail.com wrote:

    >Usually, anyone who uses anything other than iTunes to connect to an
    >iPod accesses it as a USB (or Firewire) mass storage device. They're
    >formatted either as HFS+ for use with a Mac or FAT32 for use with

    [...]

    Thank you, that's helpful information.

    >I have trouble getting in recognized
    >in OS/2, since I'm using old USB drivers (compiled from DDK.) Finally,
    >it takes far longer to write to it in OS/2 than in Linux, and I suspect
    >that the FAT32 IFS is responsible for that.

    Yesterday finally the new Ipod Nano arrived here.
    When transferring the first music, I did not allow the Apple computer
    convert the Ipod's file system to HFS, but kept it as FAT32.

    The first impressions on OS/2 with latest USB drivers:
    The Ipod gets assigned a driver letter by LVM when plugging it in.
    Unfortunately I cannot see or access any data on the Ipod.
    Not even DFSEE or LVM.EXE take notice of it so far
    Do you know if Ipods are formatted as "large floppy" or like
    a hard disk as "partitioned media"?

  10. Re: Ipod ?

    Hi R L

    R L wrote:
    > On 22 Sep 2006 23:16:38 -0700, alee67@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Usually, anyone who uses anything other than iTunes to connect to an
    >> iPod accesses it as a USB (or Firewire) mass storage device. They're
    >> formatted either as HFS+ for use with a Mac or FAT32 for use with

    > [...]
    >
    > Thank you, that's helpful information.
    >

    >> I have trouble getting in recognized
    >> in OS/2, since I'm using old USB drivers (compiled from DDK.) Finally,
    >> it takes far longer to write to it in OS/2 than in Linux, and I suspect
    >> that the FAT32 IFS is responsible for that.

    > Yesterday finally the new Ipod Nano arrived here.
    > When transferring the first music, I did not allow the Apple computer
    > convert the Ipod's file system to HFS, but kept it as FAT32.
    >
    > The first impressions on OS/2 with latest USB drivers:
    > The Ipod gets assigned a driver letter by LVM when plugging it in.
    > Unfortunately I cannot see or access any data on the Ipod.
    > Not even DFSEE or LVM.EXE take notice of it so far
    > Do you know if Ipods are formatted as "large floppy" or like
    > a hard disk as "partitioned media"?

    I think the recent thread "USB hard drive" in the c.o.o.s.storage
    newsgroup may be of interest to you and may help with the above problem.

    Basically, there is a suggestion from Jan to use DFSee under Windows or
    linux to write the OS/2 lvm data to a disk that eCS could not access;
    seems it could work for mp3 players as well.

    Regards

    Pete

  11. Re: Ipod ?

    R L wrote:
    > On 22 Sep 2006 23:16:38 -0700, alee67@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >Usually, anyone who uses anything other than iTunes to connect to an
    > >iPod accesses it as a USB (or Firewire) mass storage device. They're
    > >formatted either as HFS+ for use with a Mac or FAT32 for use with

    > [...]
    >
    > Thank you, that's helpful information.
    >

    > >I have trouble getting in recognized
    > >in OS/2, since I'm using old USB drivers (compiled from DDK.) Finally,
    > >it takes far longer to write to it in OS/2 than in Linux, and I suspect
    > >that the FAT32 IFS is responsible for that.

    > Yesterday finally the new Ipod Nano arrived here.
    > When transferring the first music, I did not allow the Apple computer
    > convert the Ipod's file system to HFS, but kept it as FAT32.
    >
    > The first impressions on OS/2 with latest USB drivers:
    > The Ipod gets assigned a driver letter by LVM when plugging it in.
    > Unfortunately I cannot see or access any data on the Ipod.
    > Not even DFSEE or LVM.EXE take notice of it so far
    > Do you know if Ipods are formatted as "large floppy" or like
    > a hard disk as "partitioned media"?

    It might be SHIPPED as HFS. In that case, it would also use Mac-style
    partitioning, not PC-style partitioning, which OS/2 can't normally
    read. The easiest way to convert an HFS iPod to FAT32 is using Apple's
    software on Windows. It's also possible to convert it on a Linux
    machine, since recent Linux kernels (2.6.x and maybe 2.4.x) can handle
    Mac-style partitioning. You can't just reformat an iPod, because one
    partition holds the firmware, which you have to save.

    You might also want to search Google Groups for using LVM on an iPod.
    I remember seeing something about it, but I'm using W4 FP15, so I don't
    have LVM.

    Andrew

  12. Re: Ipod ?

    On 24 Sep 2006 12:33:29 -0700, alee67@gmail.com wrote:

    >It might be SHIPPED as HFS.

    It was shipped in FAT32 mode.
    The Mac's iTunes software confirmed me
    that my Ipod is still in FAT32 mode.

  13. Re: Ipod ?

    Hi Andrew,
    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 06:16:38 UTC, alee67@gmail.com wrote:

    > Usually, anyone who uses anything other than iTunes to connect to an
    > iPod accesses it as a USB (or Firewire) mass storage device. They're
    > formatted either as HFS+ for use with a Mac or FAT32 for use with
    > Windows. However, you can't just copy MP3 files to them, because they
    > have a song database that has to be updated, by software that
    > understands the format. I've used myPod
    > (http://mypod.sourceforge.net/), a Java 1.4 program, after I made a
    > small change to support OS/2. (It will only work with Windows and
    > Linux as is, because it runs shell commands to check the amount of free
    > space on the iPod, and it hasn't been updated since 2003. You might
    > also be able to use GNUpod (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/), which
    > is a collection of Perl 5 scripts, but I haven't tried it yet.

    Can you elaborate on your changes to mypod? I just got my 30gb ipod
    connected but immediately hit on the -1 bytes free space problem.

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

+ Reply to Thread