Roadrunner & OS/2 Problem Solved. - OS2

This is a discussion on Roadrunner & OS/2 Problem Solved. - OS2 ; Thanks to all for help on this, but my lack of technical expertise was the real culprit. For the technical competent, this post can be skipped, but for those others that are thinking of going broadband using RoadRunner, this may ...

  1. Roadrunner & OS/2 Problem Solved.

    Thanks to all for help on this, but my lack of technical expertise was
    the real culprit. For the technical competent, this post can be
    skipped, but for those others that are thinking of going broadband using
    RoadRunner, this may help.

    When it became necessary to convert to broadband, as advised, I got an
    Ethernet card and installed it. The accompanying diskette had OS/2
    support, and after installing the software and RoadRunner, I tried to
    get on-line. Mark Dodel's comments were invaluable in understanding how
    and why I needed to do "MPTS Network Adapters and Protocol Services" and
    "TCP/IP Configuration" (in that order), but unfortunately, the only
    thing my system would do is hang during system load. (Caution to those
    trying this, be sure you have a backup and recovery procedure.)

    The solution? Know what the @#$*& you're doing, and have the NICPAK
    package available. I got my system almost three years ago, and it came
    loaded with an Ethernet card. Ergo, I had two Ethernet cards. Windows
    did not seem to mind but evidently OS/2 does.

    I removed the one I bought, and went to Windows/XP and stumbled around
    to find out what Ethernet card was installed. Matching that to the
    closest match that NIFCHK.CMD said I had and was available to be used
    (both wordings were almost identical so there was really no doubt), I
    downloaded the driver and installed it using MPTS. Using the TCP/IP
    Configuration routine, I set it up for DHCP usage.

    The system load gave five extra lines of technical jargon, some of which
    even I understood, and the system came up with RoadRunner access. "Post
    Road Mailer" works just fine with RoadRunner, and apparently "EmTec FTP"
    does, also. "EmTec News" does not do as well. While it can be used to
    read Newsgroups, it can give errors, and will not close without a
    reboot. SeaMonkey and Firefox both work wonderfully with broadband.

    For the technically savvy, all this will be obvious, but for any out
    there like me, I hope this helps. My thanks for those of you that took
    a good deal of time to teach me a little about networking. I am going
    to take a few weeks off to enjoy my new broadband facility, and then I
    guess I will see if I can do the same with a laptop that has a "54g
    integrated Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN" installed and running OS/2.

    Bob
    NotesNOT4Bob@houston.rr.com
    (Remove "NOT" from E-mail address before using)

  2. Re: Roadrunner & OS/2 Problem Solved.

    In article <6RzOg.889$LH2.434@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
    Bob wrote:

    >The solution? Know what the @#$*& you're doing, and have the NICPAK
    >package available. I got my system almost three years ago, and it came
    >loaded with an Ethernet card. Ergo, I had two Ethernet cards. Windows
    >did not seem to mind but evidently OS/2 does.

    Glad to hear you got it working. OS/2 can be configured to use 2 network
    cards, but you need to know how to configure the two adapters so they don't
    each try to use the same hardware resources, then figure out which protocols
    to apply to which adapter.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"