widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip - OS2

This is a discussion on widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip - OS2 ; For all people using one of the latest laptops with widescreen lcd panel and built-in ATI X1300 ... X1900 series graphics chip: ATI X1000 series graphics chips are not yet fully supported from Scitech SNAP drivers, you have to use ...

  1. widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    For all people using one of the latest laptops with widescreen lcd
    panel and built-in ATI X1300 ... X1900 series graphics chip:

    ATI X1000 series graphics chips are not yet fully supported from Scitech
    SNAP drivers, you have to use unaccelerated VESA frame buffer driver.
    With some of those laptops not even the native panel resolution is
    working in OS/2, as the VESA bios implementer forgot to include it.
    I can provide you an addon driver to enable the native panel resolution
    with SNAP-OS/2. Be aware that the SNAP graphics driver will stay
    unaccelerated and the whole thing is still a bit experimental, but at least
    it is working on 3 computers from ASUS and Apple now.

    Requirements:
    - ATI X1000 series graphics chip
    - Intel i915 or i945 series mainboard chipset
    - 1280*800 or 1440*900 or 1680*1050 lcd panel

  2. Re: widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:07:28 UTC, "R L"
    wrote:

    -> For all people using one of the latest laptops with widescreen lcd
    -> panel and built-in ATI X1300 ... X1900 series graphics chip:
    ->
    -> ATI X1000 series graphics chips are not yet fully supported from Scitech
    -> SNAP drivers, you have to use unaccelerated VESA frame buffer driver.
    -> With some of those laptops not even the native panel resolution is
    -> working in OS/2, as the VESA bios implementer forgot to include it.
    -> I can provide you an addon driver to enable the native panel resolution
    -> with SNAP-OS/2. Be aware that the SNAP graphics driver will stay
    -> unaccelerated and the whole thing is still a bit experimental, but at least
    -> it is working on 3 computers from ASUS and Apple now.
    ->
    -> Requirements:
    -> - ATI X1000 series graphics chip
    -> - Intel i915 or i945 series mainboard chipset
    -> - 1280*800 or 1440*900 or 1680*1050 lcd panel
    ->

    Which Apple MacBook do you have it running on?

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  3. Re: widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:01:33 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:

    >Which Apple MacBook do you have it running on?

    I have it running on an iMac 20",
    but this one has almost identical hardware as the MacBookPro.
    Well, except for power supply / lcd panel size and keyboard.

  4. Re: widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:19:01 UTC, "R L" wrote:

    -> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:01:33 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:
    ->
    -> >Which Apple MacBook do you have it running on?
    ->
    -> I have it running on an iMac 20",
    -> but this one has almost identical hardware as the MacBookPro.
    -> Well, except for power supply / lcd panel size and keyboard.
    ->

    OK.

    Is there a boot manager to switch between Mac OSX and OS/2?

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  5. Re: widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:05:25 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:

    >Is there a boot manager to switch between Mac OSX and OS/2?

    Yes, the EFI boot manager is called rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net).
    Unfortunately ugly hacks are required to convince the eCS installation
    program and/or LVM to accept the target partition for installation,
    as OS/2 boot manager cannot be installed.

  6. Re: widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:49:56 UTC, "R L" wrote:

    -> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:05:25 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:
    ->
    -> >Is there a boot manager to switch between Mac OSX and OS/2?
    ->
    -> Yes, the EFI boot manager is called rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net).
    -> Unfortunately ugly hacks are required to convince the eCS installation
    -> program and/or LVM to accept the target partition for installation,
    -> as OS/2 boot manager cannot be installed.
    ->

    Can you write up what you had to do to make it install and post it
    here or as an article for the VOICE Newsletter so others can learn
    from your work? I will probably be getting a MacBook (actually one
    for each kid) in a few months and would like to try this.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  7. Re: widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:59:33 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:

    >Can you write up what you had to do to make it install and post it
    >here or as an article for the VOICE Newsletter so others can learn
    >from your work? I will probably be getting a MacBook (actually one
    >for each kid) in a few months and would like to try this.

    I'll think about how it can be documented.
    After all, I had more troble with assumptions of eCS installation
    software, than with patches required to get eCS itself running.

    To keep it simple, I'd recommend for initial boot to create
    a text mode eCS boot cd adapted to the Mac hardware.
    Then to copy a working eCS installation from another computer
    using an usb stick (or recordable DVD). Finally config.sys
    has to be adapted to the given hardware and a few patches
    need to be installed.

  8. Re: widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:37:28 UTC, "R L" wrote:

[...]

    Did you use Mac OS X or LVM to create the partition for eCS to be
    installed on?

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  9. Re: widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:42:35 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:

    >Did you use Mac OS X or LVM to create the partition for eCS to be
    >installed on?

    First I used OSX console tools (gpt, diskutil) to prepare free space for eCS.

    The actual partitioning and creation of lvm info sectors was done with DFSEE.
    The eCS LVM or LVMGUI tools are useless, they refuse any cooperation.

  10. Re: widescreen laptops with ATI X1000 series chip

    On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:35:11 UTC, "R L" wrote:

    -> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:42:35 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:
    ->
    -> >Did you use Mac OS X or LVM to create the partition for eCS to be
    -> >installed on?
    ->
    -> First I used OSX console tools (gpt, diskutil) to prepare free space for eCS.
    ->
    -> The actual partitioning and creation of lvm info sectors was done with DFSEE.
    -> The eCS LVM or LVMGUI tools are useless, they refuse any cooperation.
    ->

    That's very helpful thanks.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

+ Reply to Thread