Cloning ThinkPad HD - OS2

This is a discussion on Cloning ThinkPad HD - OS2 ; Trying to upgrade my Thinkpad, mostly because I've outgrown its 20GB hard drive, which is currently running Windows 98 and eCS 1.1 with another eCS maintenance partition on it. I put some more memory in there, and want to put ...

  1. Cloning ThinkPad HD

    Trying to upgrade my Thinkpad, mostly because I've outgrown its 20GB
    hard drive, which is currently running Windows 98 and eCS 1.1 with
    another eCS maintenance partition on it. I put some more memory in
    there, and want to put a new 60 GB hard drive on it, and eventually
    I'll put XP on it with XP boot manager (however reluctantly) so that
    I'll be able to continue to boot W98 as needed.

    I had settled on using something called a Simpletech Drivelink, a
    standalone PCMCIA hard drive (which I presume uses some kind of Linux)
    to copy the entire contents of a disk, to do the cloning for me.
    Fortunately, it can handle HPFS, but unfortunately, it seems to be
    discontinued, and my search for one has proved fruitless.

    So, I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

    I'm thinking at this point I may try to use DFSEE to clone the
    ThinkPad's partitions to a USB external driev connected to my W98
    desktop, but I'm not sure if this scenario would work. First, here's
    the admittedly messy way I've partitioned the TP:

    Logical Volume Type Status File System Size (MB)

    Windoze C: Compatibility Bootable FAT16 2000
    eCS 1.1 D: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 1506
    Maint E: Compatibility FAT16 502
    Volume 7 F: Compatibility HPFS 2000
    Volume 6 G: Compatibility HPFS 2000
    eCS Maint H: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 502
    Volume 8 I: Compatibility HPFS 2000
    Linux J: Compatibility Bootable FAT32 6555
    [ CDROM 1 ] *->S:Compatibility CDFS 397
    Volume 5 T: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    [ CDROM 2 ] *->U: Compatibility CDFS 527

    Note that I never actually installed Linux, but probably will once I've
    gotten everything else set up.

    1) I would first backup up the TP HD partition info to the USB drive &
    burn that to a CD. I'd also zip up the eCS partition to the USB drive,
    and burn that to the same CD.

    2) Back up each individual TP partition via DFSEE to the USB drive.

    3) Install the new HD

    4) Restore the partitions with the CD and unzip the eCS partition.

    5) Connect to the network and restore those partitions with DFSEE

    6) Add a partition big enough to hold XP (what, 10GB?)

    Will this work, or what sorts of issues could I expect to face? Will I
    have any problems with XP or eCS recognizing partitions beyond a
    certain place on the HD (I've used SCSI drives pretty much and have at
    least some understanding of how these work.)

    All help appreciated,

    Rafe

  2. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    rayyfieldster@gmail.com wrote:
    > Trying to upgrade my Thinkpad, mostly because I've outgrown its 20GB
    > hard drive, which is currently running Windows 98 and eCS 1.1 with
    > another eCS maintenance partition on it. I put some more memory in
    > there, and want to put a new 60 GB hard drive on it, and eventually
    > I'll put XP on it with XP boot manager (however reluctantly) so that
    > I'll be able to continue to boot W98 as needed.

    (snip)

    Hi Rafe,

    You didn't say which model ThinkPad you've got. Hopefully it's got some
    sort of Ultrabay on it.

    I went through this with my TP42 when I swapped the old 40GB out for a
    120GB drive. I purchased a "ThinkPad 2nd Hard Drive Adapter for
    Ultrabay Slim" from PCConnection for about $60 (if you do a web search
    you can find other vendors). The ThinkPad recognizes the new drive as
    an IDE slave drive. From there you can format it any way you want. I
    used LVM for this.

    I tried DFSee's clone function to copy the old partitions onto the new
    drive but I couldn't get it to work quite the way I wanted. I wound up
    doing a simple xcopy /h/o/t/s/e/r/v to get things copied over. I had to
    do this twice: once while booted up under eCS for the HPFS and JFS
    partitions and once under WinXP for the NTFS partition.

    After copying things over I took the new drive out of the Ultrabay
    adapter and swapped it for the old drive. It's worked fine since.

    Another benefit of the adapter is that you can use the old drive as a
    fast backup.

    Chuck Meins, Jr.

    (see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html)

  3. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    On 09/14/06 12:19 am rayyfieldster@gmail.com wrote:

    > Trying to upgrade my Thinkpad, mostly because I've outgrown its 20GB
    > hard drive, which is currently running Windows 98 and eCS 1.1 with
    > another eCS maintenance partition on it. I put some more memory in
    > there, and want to put a new 60 GB hard drive on it, and eventually
    > I'll put XP on it with XP boot manager (however reluctantly) so that
    > I'll be able to continue to boot W98 as needed.
    >
    > I had settled on using something called a Simpletech Drivelink, a
    > standalone PCMCIA hard drive (which I presume uses some kind of Linux)
    > to copy the entire contents of a disk, to do the cloning for me.
    > Fortunately, it can handle HPFS, but unfortunately, it seems to be
    > discontinued, and my search for one has proved fruitless.
    >
    > So, I'm trying to figure out what to do next.
    >
    > I'm thinking at this point I may try to use DFSEE to clone the
    > ThinkPad's partitions to a USB external driev connected to my W98
    > desktop, but I'm not sure if this scenario would work. First, here's
    > the admittedly messy way I've partitioned the TP:
    >
    > Logical Volume Type Status File System Size (MB)
    >
    > Windoze C: Compatibility Bootable FAT16 2000
    > eCS 1.1 D: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 1506
    > Maint E: Compatibility FAT16 502
    > Volume 7 F: Compatibility HPFS 2000
    > Volume 6 G: Compatibility HPFS 2000
    > eCS Maint H: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 502
    > Volume 8 I: Compatibility HPFS 2000
    > Linux J: Compatibility Bootable FAT32 6555
    > [ CDROM 1 ] *->S:Compatibility CDFS 397
    > Volume 5 T: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    > [ CDROM 2 ] *->U: Compatibility CDFS 527
    >
    > Note that I never actually installed Linux, but probably will once I've
    > gotten everything else set up.
    >
    > 1) I would first backup up the TP HD partition info to the USB drive &
    > burn that to a CD. I'd also zip up the eCS partition to the USB drive,
    > and burn that to the same CD.
    >
    > 2) Back up each individual TP partition via DFSEE to the USB drive.
    >
    > 3) Install the new HD
    >
    > 4) Restore the partitions with the CD and unzip the eCS partition.
    >
    > 5) Connect to the network and restore those partitions with DFSEE
    >
    > 6) Add a partition big enough to hold XP (what, 10GB?)
    >
    > Will this work, or what sorts of issues could I expect to face? Will I
    > have any problems with XP or eCS recognizing partitions beyond a
    > certain place on the HD (I've used SCSI drives pretty much and have at
    > least some understanding of how these work.)

    I can't recall which model TP it was, but I recently read that someone
    was unable to upgrade his TP in the manner you are suggesting because
    the model number of the original drive was hard-coded in the BIOS.

    You might need to do further research.

    Perce

  4. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    Thanks for the wisdom, Chuck. This is a T22 -- which isn't listed as
    supported for the Ultrabay under the Lenovo site (have they maybe
    discontinued the T22?), but I do see it listed on the resellers' sites,
    I'm guessing the second HD solution would work.

    I'm going to try my proposed method, at least once -- it shouldn't take
    me much time to see whether it works or not, though my attempt to back
    up the C: partition over the network failed last night about
    three-quarters of the way through.

    Didn't realize there was room in the TP for a second HD, but that would
    be an excellent solution. I may take a crack at it this weekend.

    Chuck Meins, Jr. wrote:
    > rayyfieldster@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Trying to upgrade my Thinkpad, mostly because I've outgrown its 20GB
    > > hard drive, which is currently running Windows 98 and eCS 1.1 with
    > > another eCS maintenance partition on it. I put some more memory in
    > > there, and want to put a new 60 GB hard drive on it, and eventually
    > > I'll put XP on it with XP boot manager (however reluctantly) so that
    > > I'll be able to continue to boot W98 as needed.

    > (snip)
    >
    > Hi Rafe,
    >
    > You didn't say which model ThinkPad you've got. Hopefully it's got some
    > sort of Ultrabay on it.
    >
    > I went through this with my TP42 when I swapped the old 40GB out for a
    > 120GB drive. I purchased a "ThinkPad 2nd Hard Drive Adapter for
    > Ultrabay Slim" from PCConnection for about $60 (if you do a web search
    > you can find other vendors). The ThinkPad recognizes the new drive as
    > an IDE slave drive. From there you can format it any way you want. I
    > used LVM for this.
    >
    > I tried DFSee's clone function to copy the old partitions onto the new
    > drive but I couldn't get it to work quite the way I wanted. I wound up
    > doing a simple xcopy /h/o/t/s/e/r/v to get things copied over. I had to
    > do this twice: once while booted up under eCS for the HPFS and JFS
    > partitions and once under WinXP for the NTFS partition.
    >
    > After copying things over I took the new drive out of the Ultrabay
    > adapter and swapped it for the old drive. It's worked fine since.
    >
    > Another benefit of the adapter is that you can use the old drive as a
    > fast backup.
    >

    > Chuck Meins, Jr.
    >
    > Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments
    > (see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html)

  5. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    Thanks, Perce. It's a T22 -- just looked through a few pages of Google
    "groups" postings, and didn't seem to see a problem. I bought it
    refurbed with a warranty -- I remember a few days after it shipped I
    had a minor problem with it, and IBM sent a repairman out, who replaced
    the system board, why I don't know. But it's performed really well (I
    started up my old T560 a few months ago, that one still worked -- a
    shame it's just barely too old to still really be useful, I got a lot
    out of that one).

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > On 09/14/06 12:19 am rayyfieldster@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Trying to upgrade my Thinkpad, mostly because I've outgrown its 20GB
    > > hard drive, which is currently running Windows 98 and eCS 1.1 with
    > > another eCS maintenance partition on it. I put some more memory in
    > > there, and want to put a new 60 GB hard drive on it, and eventually
    > > I'll put XP on it with XP boot manager (however reluctantly) so that
    > > I'll be able to continue to boot W98 as needed.
    > >
    > > I had settled on using something called a Simpletech Drivelink, a
    > > standalone PCMCIA hard drive (which I presume uses some kind of Linux)
    > > to copy the entire contents of a disk, to do the cloning for me.
    > > Fortunately, it can handle HPFS, but unfortunately, it seems to be
    > > discontinued, and my search for one has proved fruitless.
    > >
    > > So, I'm trying to figure out what to do next.
    > >
    > > I'm thinking at this point I may try to use DFSEE to clone the
    > > ThinkPad's partitions to a USB external driev connected to my W98
    > > desktop, but I'm not sure if this scenario would work. First, here's
    > > the admittedly messy way I've partitioned the TP:
    > >
    > > Logical Volume Type Status File System Size (MB)
    > >
    > > Windoze C: Compatibility Bootable FAT16 2000
    > > eCS 1.1 D: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 1506
    > > Maint E: Compatibility FAT16 502
    > > Volume 7 F: Compatibility HPFS 2000
    > > Volume 6 G: Compatibility HPFS 2000
    > > eCS Maint H: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 502
    > > Volume 8 I: Compatibility HPFS 2000
    > > Linux J: Compatibility Bootable FAT32 6555
    > > [ CDROM 1 ] *->S:Compatibility CDFS 397
    > > Volume 5 T: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    > > [ CDROM 2 ] *->U: Compatibility CDFS 527
    > >
    > > Note that I never actually installed Linux, but probably will once I've
    > > gotten everything else set up.
    > >
    > > 1) I would first backup up the TP HD partition info to the USB drive &
    > > burn that to a CD. I'd also zip up the eCS partition to the USB drive,
    > > and burn that to the same CD.
    > >
    > > 2) Back up each individual TP partition via DFSEE to the USB drive.
    > >
    > > 3) Install the new HD
    > >
    > > 4) Restore the partitions with the CD and unzip the eCS partition.
    > >
    > > 5) Connect to the network and restore those partitions with DFSEE
    > >
    > > 6) Add a partition big enough to hold XP (what, 10GB?)
    > >
    > > Will this work, or what sorts of issues could I expect to face? Will I
    > > have any problems with XP or eCS recognizing partitions beyond a
    > > certain place on the HD (I've used SCSI drives pretty much and have at
    > > least some understanding of how these work.)

    > I can't recall which model TP it was, but I recently read that someone
    > was unable to upgrade his TP in the manner you are suggesting because
    > the model number of the original drive was hard-coded in the BIOS.
    >
    > You might need to do further research.
    >
    > Perce

  6. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    I checked and found the TP in that case was a TP43, and it's reported in
    the os2hardware Yahoo! group.

    Perce

    On 09/14/06 10:47 pm rayyfieldster@gmail.com wrote:

    > Thanks, Perce. It's a T22 -- just looked through a few pages of Google
    > "groups" postings, and didn't seem to see a problem. I bought it
    > refurbed with a warranty -- I remember a few days after it shipped I
    > had a minor problem with it, and IBM sent a repairman out, who replaced
    > the system board, why I don't know. But it's performed really well (I
    > started up my old T560 a few months ago, that one still worked -- a
    > shame it's just barely too old to still really be useful, I got a lot
    > out of that one).

    >> I can't recall which model TP it was, but I recently read that someone
    >> was unable to upgrade his TP in the manner you are suggesting because
    >> the model number of the original drive was hard-coded in the BIOS.
    >>
    >> You might need to do further research.

  7. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    On 14 Sep 2006 19:35:11 -0700, rayyfieldster@gmail.com
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the wisdom, Chuck. This is a T22 -- which isn't listed as
    >supported for the Ultrabay under the Lenovo site (have they maybe
    >discontinued the T22?), but I do see it listed on the resellers' sites,
    >I'm guessing the second HD solution would work.

    There is an internal second HD adapter also for the T22. I have used it
    in several occasions. I am tempted to think that this goes by the part
    number 62P4552 or the FRU 62P4553, but you may want to check with the
    IBM web page for your thinkpad. usually, all accessoires are listed
    there.

    Cheers, Stefan

  8. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    > On 14 Sep 2006 19:35:11 -0700, rayyfieldster@gmail.com
    > wrote:
    > >
    > >Thanks for the wisdom, Chuck. This is a T22 -- which isn't listed as
    > >supported for the Ultrabay under the Lenovo site (have they maybe
    > >discontinued the T22?), but I do see it listed on the resellers' sites,
    > >I'm guessing the second HD solution would work.

    > There is an internal second HD adapter also for the T22. I have used it
    > in several occasions. I am tempted to think that this goes by the part
    > number 62P4552 or the FRU 62P4553, but you may want to check with the
    > IBM web page for your thinkpad. usually, all accessoires are listed
    > there.
    >
    > Cheers, Stefan

    I searched both IBM & Lenovo (an IBM search flips you to Lenovo) --
    again, that part is listed under the T40/41/42. But in my experience,
    that's usually a non-issue for these models, I think it's their way of
    emphasizing that you've got an old model and they're not going to be
    caught by you trying to get them to support it. Once I get my
    secondary desktop PC working again I'm going to try using the
    clone-over-network method and if (when) that fails I'll spring for that
    adaptor. Thanks, Stefan.

    -rafe

  9. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    I have a suggestion ..

    rayyfieldster@gmail.com wrote:
    > Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >
    >> On 14 Sep 2006 19:35:11 -0700, rayyfieldster@gmail.com
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the wisdom, Chuck. This is a T22 -- which isn't listed as
    >>> supported for the Ultrabay under the Lenovo site (have they maybe
    >>> discontinued the T22?), but I do see it listed on the resellers' sites,
    >>> I'm guessing the second HD solution would work.
    >>>

    >> There is an internal second HD adapter also for the T22. I have used it
    >> in several occasions. I am tempted to think that this goes by the part
    >> number 62P4552 or the FRU 62P4553, but you may want to check with the
    >> IBM web page for your thinkpad. usually, all accessoires are listed
    >> there.
    >>
    >> Cheers, Stefan
    >>

    > I searched both IBM & Lenovo (an IBM search flips you to Lenovo) --
    > again, that part is listed under the T40/41/42. But in my experience,
    > that's usually a non-issue for these models, I think it's their way of
    > emphasizing that you've got an old model and they're not going to be
    > caught by you trying to get them to support it. Once I get my
    > secondary desktop PC working again I'm going to try using the
    > clone-over-network method and if (when) that fails I'll spring for that
    > adaptor. Thanks, Stefan.
    >
    > -rafe

    If the whole issue does not involve a hard disk size that raises a
    compatibility issue with your particular ThinkPad, you might try this.

    Get a simple USB 2.0 hard drive external unit with a suitibly large hard
    drive in it. Use the modified ThinkPad floppy boot disk operation I
    posted in another thread to then use Jan Wijk's DFSEE for OS/2 to clone
    the whole drive image to that USB external device. You'll have to use
    at least Jan's version 1.7.5 to do that.

    Then, using the same floppy diskette set with the new ThinkPad or the
    one with a larger drive, reverse clone the whole thing back into the new
    drive from your cloned image on the USB 2.0 device.

    I have been doing this between IBM ThinkPads, other desktops, and even
    from ThinkPad images into desktop computers for months now with no
    problem at all. If you are using the needed updated drivers for all the
    IDE or SCSI hard disks you are using and so on, it works beautifully.
    At least for me.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  10. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    Mike Luther
    ], who wrote in article <12hqsirq1iih871@corp.supernews.com>:
    > Get a simple USB 2.0 hard drive external unit with a suitibly large hard
    > drive in it. Use the modified ThinkPad floppy boot disk operation I
    > posted in another thread to then use Jan Wijk's DFSEE for OS/2 to clone
    > the whole drive image to that USB external device. You'll have to use
    > at least Jan's version 1.7.5 to do that.

    Why all this? Why not just zip everything to a file on another
    computer, then unzip back?

    Puzzled,
    Ilya

  11. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    Mike Luther wrote:

    ....> If the whole issue does not involve a hard disk size that raises a

    > compatibility issue with your particular ThinkPad, you might try this.
    >

    > Get a simple USB 2.0 hard drive external unit with a suitibly large hard
    > drive in it. Use the modified ThinkPad floppy boot disk operation I
    > posted in another thread to then use Jan Wijk's DFSEE for OS/2 to clone
    > the whole drive image to that USB external device. You'll have to use
    > at least Jan's version 1.7.5 to do that.

    Thanks Mike. Here's the thing: I've got such a device (a relatively
    cheap "LaCie" 80GB external USB HD), and it was working okay under
    Windoze98 on my desktop before that blew up -- in fact that's what I
    was trying to clone to, over the network. The plan was to clone to that
    drive, then burn the cloned image(s) to DVD, install the new ThinkPad
    HD, then boot via eCS CD, then use DFSee to transfer the image back.

    The reason I didn't get around to attaching it directly was because I
    've never been able to get DFSee to work with USB storage devices under
    any OS. In Windoze DOS mode, it won't see it, and getting USB stuff
    recognized under OS/2 has always been a huge pita. As I recall,
    booting the DOS version of DFSee would also not result in USB drives
    being recognized.

    I've found that thread, and your results sure look good to me. (It was
    also clear to me that one reason no one sells that Simpletech Drivelink
    is because everyone is using USB HDs to clone replacement drives.) I'm
    considering going that way except for a few issues. For one thing,
    it's been about 5 years since I've been able to create boot disks for
    OS/2. I tried again just now -- it's looking for S:\OS2IMAGE, which is
    probably the CD driveletter which of course I am not using, since I've
    got the floppy in the Ultrabay. Just the sort of contingency I don't
    want to have to deal with, especially since there are probably 5-6 more
    along the way.

    I used to use BOOTOS2 to do this stuff, but that's been out of date for
    a while now. What are people using these days?

    Can you post your config.sys, or maybe e-mail it to me?

  12. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > Mike Luther
    > ], who wrote in article <12hqsirq1iih871@corp.supernews.com>:
    > > Get a simple USB 2.0 hard drive external unit with a suitibly large hard
    > > drive in it. Use the modified ThinkPad floppy boot disk operation I
    > > posted in another thread to then use Jan Wijk's DFSEE for OS/2 to clone
    > > the whole drive image to that USB external device. You'll have to use
    > > at least Jan's version 1.7.5 to do that.

    > Why all this? Why not just zip everything to a file on another
    > computer, then unzip back?
    >
    > Puzzled,
    > Ilya

    Works great for OS/2 and my various data partitions. As I understand
    it, it won't work for Windoze98, which unfortunately I need on this
    box, particularly since again unfortunately I have to install an
    upgrade edition of XP on it as well.

  13. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    ], who wrote in article <1159581341.712404.76380@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>:
    > > Why all this? Why not just zip everything to a file on another
    > > computer, then unzip back?

    > Works great for OS/2 and my various data partitions. As I understand
    > it, it won't work for Windoze98, which unfortunately I need on this
    > box, particularly since again unfortunately I have to install an
    > upgrade edition of XP on it as well.

    What "won't work"? If you cannot "just mount a disk from Win98
    computer" (so you can zip directly to the disk on Win98), you can just
    use cpio, piping the result to netcat (and invert this on Win98 side).

    Moreover, if you have enough space to create ZIP on the OS/2 side,
    ftp'ing the result to Win98 may be simpler.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  14. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    On 29 Sep 2006 08:51:24 -0700, rayyfieldster@gmail.com
    wrote:

    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >> On 14 Sep 2006 19:35:11 -0700, rayyfieldster@gmail.com
    >> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Thanks for the wisdom, Chuck. This is a T22 -- which isn't listed as
    >> >supported for the Ultrabay under the Lenovo site (have they maybe
    >> >discontinued the T22?), but I do see it listed on the resellers' sites,
    >> >I'm guessing the second HD solution would work.

    >> There is an internal second HD adapter also for the T22. I have used it
    >> in several occasions. I am tempted to think that this goes by the part
    >> number 62P4552 or the FRU 62P4553, but you may want to check with the
    >> IBM web page for your thinkpad. usually, all accessoires are listed
    >> there.
    >>
    >> Cheers, Stefan

    >I searched both IBM & Lenovo (an IBM search flips you to Lenovo) --
    >again, that part is listed under the T40/41/42. But in my experience,
    >that's usually a non-issue for these models, I think it's their way of
    >emphasizing that you've got an old model and they're not going to be
    >caught by you trying to get them to support it. Once I get my
    >secondary desktop PC working again I'm going to try using the
    >clone-over-network method and if (when) that fails I'll spring for that
    >adaptor. Thanks, Stefan.

    You'r right though - the part _is_ for T4x. I just rechecked, and the
    one for the T2x is a bit different. The T2x series (and also the X2
    media slice for the X2x series) use the Ultrabay2000. The part number
    for that one is

    Marketing PN: 08K6068
    FRU PN: 08K6067
    Ultrabay 2000 HDD adapter
    for X2, T21-T23

    They do pop up on ebay every so often. If you google for thinkpad and
    wiki you will come up with the Linux on Thinkpad wikipedia, which also
    gives a very good overview of the various Thinkpads and accessoires.

    Cheers,
    Stefan

    >-rafe

  15. Re: Cloning ThinkPad HD

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    > On 29 Sep 2006 08:51:24 -0700, rayyfieldster@gmail.com
    > wrote:
    > >
    > >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    > >> There is an internal second HD adapter also for the T22. I have used it
    > >> in several occasions. I am tempted to think that this goes by the part
    > >> number 62P4552 or the FRU 62P4553, but you may want to check with the
    > >> IBM web page for your thinkpad. usually, all accessoires are listed
    > >> there.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers, Stefan

    > >I searched both IBM & Lenovo (an IBM search flips you to Lenovo) --
    > >again, that part is listed under the T40/41/42. But in my experience,
    > >that's usually a non-issue for these models, I think it's their way of
    > >emphasizing that you've got an old model and they're not going to be
    > >caught by you trying to get them to support it. Once I get my
    > >secondary desktop PC working again I'm going to try using the
    > >clone-over-network method and if (when) that fails I'll spring for that
    > >adaptor. Thanks, Stefan.

    > You'r right though - the part _is_ for T4x. I just rechecked, and the
    > one for the T2x is a bit different. The T2x series (and also the X2
    > media slice for the X2x series) use the Ultrabay2000. The part number
    > for that one is
    >
    > Marketing PN: 08K6068
    > FRU PN: 08K6067
    > Ultrabay 2000 HDD adapter
    > for X2, T21-T23
    >
    > They do pop up on ebay every so often. If you google for thinkpad and
    > wiki you will come up with the Linux on Thinkpad wikipedia, which also
    > gives a very good overview of the various Thinkpads and accessoires.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Stefan

    28 bucks, with shipping! guy in Hong Kong on eBay has a hundred of'em!
    thanks, Stefan. as far as hardware goes, i love living in the past --
    it's cheap.

    appreciate the Linux tip as well -- i'll be putting SuSE on this too.

    -rafe

+ Reply to Thread