Recovery of older version of OS/2 - OS2

This is a discussion on Recovery of older version of OS/2 - OS2 ; I need a copy of OS/2 1.2 or 1.3. I have an older machine with an OS/2 controller. The hard drive crashed and I have a backup for everything I need except for the OS itself. I have tried OS/2 ...

  1. Recovery of older version of OS/2

    I need a copy of OS/2 1.2 or 1.3. I have an older machine with an OS/2
    controller. The hard drive crashed and I have a backup for everything
    I need except for the OS itself. I have tried OS/2 2.1, but I get a
    communications error on Com 1. I have spoken to the machine
    manufacturer and they are telling me I nee either verion 1.2. or 1.3

    Since I have a legal license, all I need is someone that can get me a
    copy of OS to install. Does anyone have any ideas?

  2. Re: Recovery of older version of OS/2

    newonics wrote:
    > I need a copy of OS/2 1.2 or 1.3. I have an older machine with an OS/2
    > controller. The hard drive crashed and I have a backup for everything
    > I need except for the OS itself. I have tried OS/2 2.1, but I get a
    > communications error on Com 1. I have spoken to the machine
    > manufacturer and they are telling me I nee either verion 1.2. or 1.3
    >
    > Since I have a legal license, all I need is someone that can get me a
    > copy of OS to install. Does anyone have any ideas?

    eBay?

  3. Re: Recovery of older version of OS/2

    I have a boxed OS/2 1.3 Extended Edition, un-opened. Your welcome to it if
    you want it?

    I'm in Australia. Where are you?

    "newonics" wrote

    > I need a copy of OS/2 1.2 or 1.3. I have an older machine with an OS/2
    > controller. The hard drive crashed and I have a backup for everything
    > I need except for the OS itself. I have tried OS/2 2.1, but I get a
    > communications error on Com 1. I have spoken to the machine
    > manufacturer and they are telling me I nee either verion 1.2. or 1.3
    >
    > Since I have a legal license, all I need is someone that can get me a
    > copy of OS to install. Does anyone have any ideas?

  4. Re: Recovery of older version of OS/2

    Sir:

    newonics wrote:
    > I need a copy of OS/2 1.2 or 1.3. I have an older machine with an OS/2
    > controller. The hard drive crashed and I have a backup for everything
    > I need except for the OS itself. I have tried OS/2 2.1, but I get a
    > communications error on Com 1. I have spoken to the machine
    > manufacturer and they are telling me I nee either verion 1.2. or 1.3
    >
    > Since I have a legal license, all I need is someone that can get me a
    > copy of OS to install. Does anyone have any ideas?

    Let us assume that you have no support contract with IBM, since you came
    here, instead of your IBM representative. If you have a contract for
    support with the vendor that sold you the hardware, maybe they have a
    contract with IBM for support. It should be asked of them to replace
    the defective media (3.5" floppies that 1.3 came). With such a contract
    it is free. It used to be free for anyone with the right product
    number, but I just did a search of IBM.com, and it seems that they have
    purged OS/2 very well. If you have the product number and find a
    sympathetic person at IBM who can cut through the deleted product
    numbers and find spare stock, then you might get a free replacement.
    However, if your time is worth anything, I'd just take up the Aussie's
    offer of his copy and pay for his shipping cost or try E-Bay.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: Recovery of older version of OS/2

    On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 22:54:31 UTC, "newonics" wrote:

    > I need a copy of OS/2 1.2 or 1.3. I have an older machine with an OS/2
    > controller. The hard drive crashed and I have a backup for everything
    > I need except for the OS itself. I have tried OS/2 2.1, but I get a
    > communications error on Com 1. I have spoken to the machine
    > manufacturer and they are telling me I nee either verion 1.2. or 1.3
    >
    > Since I have a legal license, all I need is someone that can get me a
    > copy of OS to install. Does anyone have any ideas?

    I've been told that this site has the stuff:

    http://os.sysbin.com/
    --
    "I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

+ Reply to Thread