OS/2 on Core Duo laptop? - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 on Core Duo laptop? - OS2 ; Does anyone have OS/2 running on a Core Duo laptop at all? More specifically, I've got a Dell Latitude D820, Core Duo 1.8GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB SATA disk, Intel embedded graphics that I'd like to install with an OS/2 boot ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: OS/2 on Core Duo laptop?

  1. OS/2 on Core Duo laptop?

    Does anyone have OS/2 running on a Core Duo laptop at all?

    More specifically, I've got a Dell Latitude D820, Core Duo 1.8GHz, 512MB RAM,
    80GB SATA disk, Intel embedded graphics that I'd like to install with an OS/2
    boot partition. I have tried the original eCS 1.00 boot CD and an ACP1 boot CD
    and both crash to a register dump after a short boot attempt. Before I spend a
    lot of time trying to make this work, I'd like to know if anyone else has
    already been there and got anything functional, and if so, how.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  2. Re: OS/2 on Core Duo laptop?

    Hi Trevor,
    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 02:57:43 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > Does anyone have OS/2 running on a Core Duo laptop at all?
    >
    > More specifically, I've got a Dell Latitude D820, Core Duo 1.8GHz, 512MB RAM,
    > 80GB SATA disk, Intel embedded graphics that I'd like to install with an OS/2
    > boot partition. I have tried the original eCS 1.00 boot CD and an ACP1 boot CD
    > and both crash to a register dump after a short boot attempt. Before I spend a
    > lot of time trying to make this work, I'd like to know if anyone else has
    > already been there and got anything functional, and if so, how.


    I suspect this is the same install problem that exists with Athlon64's
    and is fixed in eCS 1.2R

    IIRC part of the problem is related to 512mb of ram - the problems are
    resolved with an updated kernel.


    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  3. Re: OS/2 on Core Duo laptop?

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:57:43 -0500, Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >Does anyone have OS/2 running on a Core Duo laptop at all?


    I have running os/2 on an Apple iMac with Core Duo and Intel laptop chipset.
    Initially I had trouble with bugs of the Insyde bios, but now it is running
    fine mostly.
    You should check what peripherals are built in, if there is driver support
    for them.
    I'm using eCS 2.0 beta (April 06) with smp addon currently on that computer.




  4. Re: OS/2 on Core Duo laptop?

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:06:59 UTC, "R L"
    wrote:

    -> On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:57:43 -0500, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    ->
    -> >Does anyone have OS/2 running on a Core Duo laptop at all?
    ->
    -> I have running os/2 on an Apple iMac with Core Duo and Intel laptop chipset.
    -> Initially I had trouble with bugs of the Insyde bios, but now it is running
    -> fine mostly.
    -> You should check what peripherals are built in, if there is driver support
    -> for them.
    -> I'm using eCS 2.0 beta (April 06) with smp addon currently on that computer.

    Are you using Apple's boot camo to do this? Does the iMac have an
    ATI Radeon video chipset or the shared Intel one? Does sound work
    with UNIAUD?

    Mark


    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  5. Re: OS/2 on Core Duo laptop?

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:27:53 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:

    >Are you using Apple's boot camo to do this?


    No, bootcamp is only a quite limited gui partitioning tool and a cd image
    filled with WinXP drivers.
    But I'm using the firmware update released simultaneous with bootcamp.

    >Does the iMac have an ATI Radeon video chipset or the shared Intel one?


    It has an ATI Mobility x1600 chipset. If I had choice, I would prefer
    for eCS the Intel graphics, because there is full support from SNAP for it.
    The ATI chipset has unaccelerated vbe frame buffer support only.
    But due to high speed pci express bus, the framebuffer driver is useable.

    >Does sound work with UNIAUD?


    Only through UniAud API (Warpvision),
    Waveaudio or Dart sound is not working, I'm currently researching the issue.




  6. Re: OS/2 on Core Duo laptop?

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:36:17 UTC, "R L"
    wrote:

    -> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:27:53 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:
    ->
    -> >Are you using Apple's boot camo to do this?
    ->
    -> No, bootcamp is only a quite limited gui partitioning tool and a cd image
    -> filled with WinXP drivers.
    -> But I'm using the firmware update released simultaneous with bootcamp.
    ->
    -> >Does the iMac have an ATI Radeon video chipset or the shared Intel one?
    ->
    -> It has an ATI Mobility x1600 chipset. If I had choice, I would prefer
    -> for eCS the Intel graphics, because there is full support from SNAP for it.
    -> The ATI chipset has unaccelerated vbe frame buffer support only.
    -> But due to high speed pci express bus, the framebuffer driver is useable.
    ->
    -> >Does sound work with UNIAUD?
    ->
    -> Only through UniAud API (Warpvision),
    -> Waveaudio or Dart sound is not working, I'm currently researching the issue.
    ->

    That is very interesting. I'm really not fond of OS X, but I'm
    seriously considering getting a Macbook Pro when this T42p finally
    needs replacing. So you can install eCS 2.0 B2 on it and you get both
    CPUs with the SMP modules. That is great to hear. Any chance you
    could write a short article on it for VOICE just to show it works and
    what you had to do to get it working? Can you select between booting
    eCS and OS X? I thought that was what Boot Camp was for.

    As to why I'm considering a Mac, its just that I've been impressed
    with the quality of Apple's hardware for years. I've had two Power
    iMacs oevr the past 6-7 years and they are put together so much better
    then any of the x86 stuff I have seen. And I've been really
    disappointed in this Thinkpad, which was a fairly expensive system
    when I bought it a couple years ago. It seems everything is made in
    China nowadays and its all just junk with a slick shell over it. How
    is the overall quality of the Intel iMac versus your experience with
    x86 machines? Is Apple's quality slipping like IBM/Lenova has?


    Mark


    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  7. Re: OS/2 on Core Duo laptop?

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:26:19 -0500, Mark Dodel wrote:

    >Any chance you could write a short article on it for VOICE
    >just to show it works and what you had to do to get it working?


    I'll think about. Actually there were a lot of patches and tweaks
    needed to get it all running.

    >Can you select between booting eCS and OS X?
    >I thought that was what Boot Camp was for.


    The firmware update I mentioned allows to chose
    between OSX volumes and a single WinXP volume.
    If you want more choice, the open source boot manager
    for Mac called rEFIt is the best solution.

    >How is the overall quality of the Intel iMac versus your experience with
    >x86 machines? Is Apple's quality slipping like IBM/Lenova has?


    I did not open the new iMac so far, so I cannot really comment
    on the hardware. It looks similar to a standard lcd flatscreen,
    works reliable and is quiet as my old T21 Thinkpad laptop.
    Well, the legacy bios required for os/2 has several bugs.



+ Reply to Thread