Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage - OS2

This is a discussion on Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage - OS2 ; To anybody who has a dual-core Athlon working in SMP mode on an Asus A8N-E motherboard: If you execute RMVIEW /IRQ, do you see any IRQs higher than 15 being used? Perce...

  1. Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage

    To anybody who has a dual-core Athlon working in SMP mode on an Asus
    A8N-E motherboard:

    If you execute RMVIEW /IRQ, do you see any IRQs higher than 15 being used?

    Perce

  2. Re: Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage

    Hi Perce,

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:42:27 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > To anybody who has a dual-core Athlon working in SMP mode on an Asus
    > A8N-E motherboard:
    >
    > If you execute RMVIEW /IRQ, do you see any IRQs higher than 15 being used?

    Using acpi.psd or os2apic.psd?

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  3. Re: Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage

    On 08/10/06 06:23 am Paul Smedley wrote:

    >> To anybody who has a dual-core Athlon working in SMP mode on an Asus
    >> A8N-E motherboard:
    >>
    >> If you execute RMVIEW /IRQ, do you see any IRQs higher than 15 being used?

    > Using acpi.psd or os2apic.psd?

    Either/both, if possible. I didn't know that OS2APIC.PSD could be used
    with dual-core machines (only with "real" multi-processor machines --
    i.e., with separate CPUs). I never managed to get mine running with
    OS2APIC.PSD.

    I'm using ACPI.PSD (ver. 2.10) and seeing no high (>15) IRQs in use.

    I see other people posting captured output from RMVIEW /IRQ (with
    various other motherboards) with devices using IRQs greater than 15. The
    nVidia chipset on the A8N-E is allegedly weird.

    I tried booting from a kubuntu CD, but I couldn't get the screen display
    to stop to see if it told me what IRQs it was using. It went all the way
    to the GUI installation options screen, and Linux has bitten me too many
    times already (trashed partition tables, etc.) for me to go any further
    and install it.

    "Perce"

  4. Re: Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:04:45 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    :>On 08/10/06 06:23 am Paul Smedley wrote:
    :>
    :>>> To anybody who has a dual-core Athlon working in SMP mode on an Asus
    :>>> A8N-E motherboard:
    :>>>
    :>>> If you execute RMVIEW /IRQ, do you see any IRQs higher than 15 being used?
    :>>
[...]

    If you boot from a 'live' CD like Knoppix or the Mandriva one, it won't
    install anything and you can look at /var/log for boot messages which will
    tell you the interrupts.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  5. Re: Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage

    Hi,
    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:04:45 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > On 08/10/06 06:23 am Paul Smedley wrote:
    >
    > >> To anybody who has a dual-core Athlon working in SMP mode on an Asus
    > >> A8N-E motherboard:
    > >>
    > >> If you execute RMVIEW /IRQ, do you see any IRQs higher than 15 being used?

    > > Using acpi.psd or os2apic.psd?

    > Either/both, if possible. I didn't know that OS2APIC.PSD could be used
    > with dual-core machines (only with "real" multi-processor machines --
    > i.e., with separate CPUs). I never managed to get mine running with
    > OS2APIC.PSD.
    >
    > I'm using ACPI.PSD (ver. 2.10) and seeing no high (>15) IRQs in use.

    Me too. AFAIK IRQ's greater than 15 will only be used if acpi is used
    in APIC mode - what command line are you using for acpi.psd?

    > I see other people posting captured output from RMVIEW /IRQ (with
    > various other motherboards) with devices using IRQs greater than 15. The
    > nVidia chipset on the A8N-E is allegedly weird.

    I've had IRQs > 15 before I starting using a SATA disk - I haven't
    gotten around to switching back to APIC mode now that the acpisnp.snp
    snooper can remap high irq's and allow booting from SATA in APIC mode.

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  6. Re: Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:42:27 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Percival P.
    Cassidy" wrote:

    > To anybody who has a dual-core Athlon working in SMP mode on an Asus
    > A8N-E motherboard:
    >
    > If you execute RMVIEW /IRQ, do you see any IRQs higher than 15 being used?

    Do you have an option in the BIOS for something like MPS level 1.4?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  7. Re: Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage

    On 08/11/06 05:48 am Paul Smedley wrote:

    >>> Using acpi.psd or os2apic.psd?

    >> Either/both, if possible. I didn't know that OS2APIC.PSD could be used
    >> with dual-core machines (only with "real" multi-processor machines --
    >> i.e., with separate CPUs). I never managed to get mine running with
    >> OS2APIC.PSD.
    >>
    >> I'm using ACPI.PSD (ver. 2.10) and seeing no high (>15) IRQs in use.

    > Me too. AFAIK IRQ's greater than 15 will only be used if acpi is used
    > in APIC mode - what command line are you using for acpi.psd?

    >> I see other people posting captured output from RMVIEW /IRQ (with
    >> various other motherboards) with devices using IRQs greater than 15. The
    >> nVidia chipset on the A8N-E is allegedly weird.

    > I've had IRQs > 15 before I starting using a SATA disk - I haven't
    > gotten around to switching back to APIC mode now that the acpisnp.snp
    > snooper can remap high irq's and allow booting from SATA in APIC mode.

    That's the point. I AM using acpisnp.snp (which I thought still used
    APIC mode), but no IRQ higher than 14 is being used. I have all SCSI
    hard disks, and the only IDE device is the DVD burner. Nothing at all
    that I consider exotic: the only things plugged into the mobo are the
    Adaptec SCSI card and the ATI X300 PCI-Express video card.

    I have read that the nVidia chip handles IRQs significantly differently
    from the Intel chip.

    Perce

  8. Re: Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage

    On 08/11/06 07:13 am Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >> To anybody who has a dual-core Athlon working in SMP mode on an Asus
    >> A8N-E motherboard:
    >>
    >> If you execute RMVIEW /IRQ, do you see any IRQs higher than 15 being used?

    > Do you have an option in the BIOS for something like MPS level 1.4?

    Nothing like that that I can see.

    Here is one person's comment on this whole issue (and it will probably
    make a whole lot more sense to you than it does to me):

    "The nVidia interrupt routing seems to be a bit more complex than the
    Intel routing.

    With nVidia apparently all the interrupt sources/pins from different pci
    busses are connected to a total of 16 interrupt lines (Intel only 8).
    Each of those interrupt lines has one low_link called "L***" and one
    high_link called "AP**". The 16 low_links are switcheable to inputs
    3,4,5,7,9,10,11,12,14 or 15 of the IOAPIC, and the corresponding PIC
    inputs connected in parallel (similar to Intel). The 16 high_links go to
    inputs 16..23 of the IOAPIC. Some of the high links (APC1..5) have fixed
    assignments to inputs 16..19 of the IOAPIC, the remaining high_links are
    switcheable between inputs 20..23 of the IOAPIC. (Intel has 1:1
    assignments to inputs 16..23).

    .....to be confirmed with nVidia data sheet."

    Perce

  9. Re: Asus A8N-E + Dual-Core Athlon SMP: IRQ usage

    On 08/11/06 03:08 am Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:

    > :>>> To anybody who has a dual-core Athlon working in SMP mode on an Asus
    > :>>> A8N-E motherboard:
    > :>>>
    > :>>> If you execute RMVIEW /IRQ, do you see any IRQs higher than 15 being used?
    > :>>
    > :>> Using acpi.psd or os2apic.psd?
    > :>
    > :>Either/both, if possible. I didn't know that OS2APIC.PSD could be used
    > :>with dual-core machines (only with "real" multi-processor machines --
    > :>i.e., with separate CPUs). I never managed to get mine running with
    > :>OS2APIC.PSD.
    > :>
    > :>I'm using ACPI.PSD (ver. 2.10) and seeing no high (>15) IRQs in use.
    > :>
    > :>I see other people posting captured output from RMVIEW /IRQ (with
    > :>various other motherboards) with devices using IRQs greater than 15. The
    > :>nVidia chipset on the A8N-E is allegedly weird.
    > :>
    > :>I tried booting from a kubuntu CD, but I couldn't get the screen display
    > :>to stop to see if it told me what IRQs it was using. It went all the way
    > :>to the GUI installation options screen, and Linux has bitten me too many
    > :>times already (trashed partition tables, etc.) for me to go any further
    > :>and install it.
    >
    > If you boot from a 'live' CD like Knoppix or the Mandriva one, it won't
    > install anything and you can look at /var/log for boot messages which will
    > tell you the interrupts.

    Downloaded the .ISO of Knoppix 5.0.1 and burned it to CD. It boots OK as
    long as I don't try any options that require user input -- it doesn't
    recognize the keyboard after the initial option at the boot: prompt. The
    only new file in /var/log was something with an "X" in the name that was
    video related -- all to do with the loading of video drivers. Couldn't
    find anything indicating what interrupts were being used. I did notice
    that early on in the boot sequence it found two CPUs.

    Perce

+ Reply to Thread