PCMCIA expertise - OS2

This is a discussion on PCMCIA expertise - OS2 ; Anyone know of a good place to ask about PCMCIA/PC Card support for OS/2?...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PCMCIA expertise

  1. PCMCIA expertise

    Anyone know of a good place to ask about PCMCIA/PC Card support for OS/2?

  2. Re: PCMCIA expertise


    jp wrote:
    > Anyone know of a good place to ask about PCMCIA/PC Card support for OS/2?



    Try :

    http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php


  3. Re: PCMCIA expertise

    phe wrote:
    > jp wrote:
    >> Anyone know of a good place to ask about PCMCIA/PC Card support for OS/2?

    >
    >
    > Try :
    >
    > http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php
    >


    Yes, I found that site and it looks useful, but there doesn't seem to be
    anywhere to ask questions. It mentions a forum, but I couldn't find any
    way to access it.

  4. Re: PCMCIA expertise

    On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:12:40 UTC, jp wrote:

    > Anyone know of a good place to ask about PCMCIA/PC Card support for OS/2?


    What kind of support are you looking for? i.e., storage devices,
    modems, wireless network, writing drivers, ...

    --
    Lee W. Riemenschneider
    GO BOILERS!
    Running eComStation (eCS)(the latest incarnation of OS/2)
    Buy eCS everyone! Buy it now! http://www.ecomstation.com

  5. Re: PCMCIA expertise

    Lee Riemenschneider wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:12:40 UTC, jp wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know of a good place to ask about PCMCIA/PC Card support for OS/2?

    >
    > What kind of support are you looking for? i.e., storage devices,
    > modems, wireless network, writing drivers, ...
    >


    I'm specifically thinking about how to identify which socket services
    driver support which chip. I can't get a network card working and think
    it's due to missing SS support but I don't which driver to use or even
    if my chip is supported. It says it is on the os2warp.be site but I
    can't get it working.

  6. Re: PCMCIA expertise

    jp wrote:
    > Lee Riemenschneider wrote:
    >> On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:12:40 UTC, jp wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know of a good place to ask about PCMCIA/PC Card support for
    >>> OS/2?

    >>
    >> What kind of support are you looking for? i.e., storage devices,
    >> modems, wireless network, writing drivers, ...
    >>

    >
    > I'm specifically thinking about how to identify which socket services
    > driver support which chip. I can't get a network card working and think
    > it's due to missing SS support but I don't which driver to use or even
    > if my chip is supported. It says it is on the os2warp.be site but I
    > can't get it working.


    This should be a help: From http://www.os2ezine.com/20040716/page_4.html

    Using CompactFlash (CF) Cards and OS/2

    Here's a tip which was passed along by one of our readers, Gerrit
    Shoenmaker, who is lucky enough to use OS/2 on a Thinkpad A31 and have a
    Canon G2 handy. I have not tried it yet, so you're on your own for this!

    To get access to your CF card it might be better to use all the benefits
    of the Daniela HDD driver. If you do so, your CF card can be mounted to
    a free drive letter by running "Refresh removable media" in your drive
    folder.

    To get rid of the removable drive and to close the filesystem safely
    simply click right and choose the "Eject disk" option from the drives
    context menu! All this has the advantage not having the annoying drive
    objects in your drive folder caused by the BASEDEV=PCM2ATA.ADD /S:1 /!DM
    /NOBEEP statement.

    My config.sys settings for the Thinkpad A31 are looking like this:

    BASEDEV=PCMCIA.SYS /P
    rem ## IBM socket driver with Ricoh RL5c476 CardBus
    Controller support
    BASEDEV=IBM2SS14.SYS
    rem ### end PCMCIA to PCI driver ####
    BASEDEV=AUTODRV2.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\VPCMCIA.SYS
    REM DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\PCMSSDIF.SYS
    REM DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\PCM2SRAM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\FLSH2MTD.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\PCM2FLSH.SYS
    REM BASEDEV=PCM2ATA.ADD /S:1 /!DM /NOBEEP
    rem ## Daniela Engert driver ##
    BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /PCS

    The option /PCS was added for PCCard use!

    Note: Your PCMCIA slots have to be empty at boot time, otherwise "Eject
    disk" won't work!!!
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    Google is your friend you know!

    Craig

  7. Re: PCMCIA expertise

    Craig wrote:
    > jp wrote:
    >> Lee Riemenschneider wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:12:40 UTC, jp wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Anyone know of a good place to ask about PCMCIA/PC Card support for
    >>>> OS/2?
    >>>
    >>> What kind of support are you looking for? i.e., storage devices,
    >>> modems, wireless network, writing drivers, ...
    >>>

    >>
    >> I'm specifically thinking about how to identify which socket services
    >> driver support which chip. I can't get a network card working and
    >> think it's due to missing SS support but I don't which driver to use
    >> or even if my chip is supported. It says it is on the os2warp.be site
    >> but I can't get it working.

    >
    > This should be a help: From http://www.os2ezine.com/20040716/page_4.html
    >
    > Using CompactFlash (CF) Cards and OS/2
    >
    > Here's a tip which was passed along by one of our readers, Gerrit
    > Shoenmaker, who is lucky enough to use OS/2 on a Thinkpad A31 and have a
    > Canon G2 handy. I have not tried it yet, so you're on your own for this!
    >
    > To get access to your CF card it might be better to use all the benefits
    > of the Daniela HDD driver. If you do so, your CF card can be mounted to
    > a free drive letter by running "Refresh removable media" in your drive
    > folder.
    >
    > To get rid of the removable drive and to close the filesystem safely
    > simply click right and choose the "Eject disk" option from the drives
    > context menu! All this has the advantage not having the annoying drive
    > objects in your drive folder caused by the BASEDEV=PCM2ATA.ADD /S:1 /!DM
    > /NOBEEP statement.
    >
    > My config.sys settings for the Thinkpad A31 are looking like this:
    >
    > BASEDEV=PCMCIA.SYS /P
    > rem ## IBM socket driver with Ricoh RL5c476 CardBus
    > Controller support
    > BASEDEV=IBM2SS14.SYS


    Any idea which particular build this is?

    Does it identify itself as providing support for the Ricoh controller?

    >
    > Craig


  8. Re: PCMCIA expertise

    In , on 08/06/2006
    at 09:04 AM, jp said:

    >I'm specifically thinking about how to identify which socket services
    >driver support which chip. I can't get a network card working and think
    >it's due to missing SS support but I don't which driver to use or even
    >if my chip is supported. It says it is on the os2warp.be site but I
    >can't get it working.


    According the the data you posted to the os2wireless list and the table at
    the os2warp.be site, your socket services chipset is supported out of the
    box by the IBM2SS14 driver.

    As others have suggested Dani's patched version of this driver may also
    work.

    What happened when you tried these drivers?

    Regards,

    Steven

    --
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  9. Re: PCMCIA expertise

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > In , on 08/06/2006
    > at 09:04 AM, jp said:
    >
    >> I'm specifically thinking about how to identify which socket services
    >> driver support which chip. I can't get a network card working and think
    >> it's due to missing SS support but I don't which driver to use or even
    >> if my chip is supported. It says it is on the os2warp.be site but I
    >> can't get it working.

    >
    > According the the data you posted to the os2wireless list and the table at
    > the os2warp.be site, your socket services chipset is supported out of the
    > box by the IBM2SS14 driver.
    >
    > As others have suggested Dani's patched version of this driver may also
    > work.
    >
    > What happened when you tried these drivers?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Steven
    >


    I have tried numerous versions of IBM2SS14.SYS as well as the Dani
    versions, all without success. The drivers load, but LANTRAN.LOG says
    that there is no card in the socket. Maybe I need some driver to enable
    the use of the socket, I don't know...

    Is there any program I can use to check what is in the socket?

  10. Re: PCMCIA expertise

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:15:24 UTC jp wrote:

    > Steven Levine wrote:
    > > In , on 08/06/2006
    > > at 09:04 AM, jp said:
    > >
    > >> I'm specifically thinking about how to identify which socket services
    > >> driver support which chip. I can't get a network card working and think
    > >> it's due to missing SS support but I don't which driver to use or even
    > >> if my chip is supported. It says it is on the os2warp.be site but I
    > >> can't get it working.

    > >
    > > According the the data you posted to the os2wireless list and the table at
    > > the os2warp.be site, your socket services chipset is supported out of the
    > > box by the IBM2SS14 driver.
    > >
    > > As others have suggested Dani's patched version of this driver may also
    > > work.
    > >
    > > What happened when you tried these drivers?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Steven
    > >

    >
    > I have tried numerous versions of IBM2SS14.SYS as well as the Dani
    > versions, all without success. The drivers load, but LANTRAN.LOG says
    > that there is no card in the socket. Maybe I need some driver to enable
    > the use of the socket, I don't know...
    >
    > Is there any program I can use to check what is in the socket?


    Get a copy of PCI.exe or PCIvtk.EXE from Hobbes. That will identify
    the chipset for you. I've got a Thinkpad R30 that uses an odd chipset
    - O2 or something like that - and I had to wander through a bunch of
    IBM2SSxx.SYS files to find one that actually worked. The wife is off
    with the R30 right now so I can't look up the gory details, but I must
    have gone through 8-10 different releases before I found an old one
    that worked.

    --
    Will Honea

+ Reply to Thread