Invisible twin camera - OS2

This is a discussion on Invisible twin camera - OS2 ; Hi Folks, A friend of mine has a Kyocera Finecam S3L which I have borrowed and used with eCS for ages. Connect via USB, then either refresh removable drives or "dir e:" and there it is. I wanted a cheap ...

  1. Invisible twin camera

    Hi Folks,

    A friend of mine has a Kyocera Finecam S3L which I have borrowed and
    used with eCS for ages. Connect via USB, then either refresh removable
    drives or "dir e:" and there it is.

    I wanted a cheap digital camera for myself, so bought another
    apparently identical Kyocera Finecam S3L on eBay. It all works fine
    ... except that it won't work with eCS. When I connect it I get beeps
    and drive e: appears (on my desktop - on my laptop it doesn't) but
    "dir e:" gives me "SYS0027: The drive cannot find the sector (area)
    requested."

    If I move the memory card to the other camera I can see it fine via
    OS/2. If I move the memory card from the other camera, I can't see
    that on mine. So it's not the memory card.

    If I boot the laptop in XP I can see my camera just fine. If I plug it
    into my ASUS WAP/NAS box, which runs something vaguely Linux based, I
    can see it fine there. So it's not (entirely) the camera.

    Anyone got any bright ideas about why one Kyocera Finecam S3L might be
    visible while another one isn't?

    Ian
    --

  2. Re: Invisible twin camera

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > A friend of mine has a Kyocera Finecam S3L which I have borrowed and
    > used with eCS for ages. Connect via USB, then either refresh removable
    > drives or "dir e:" and there it is.
    >
    > I wanted a cheap digital camera for myself, so bought another
    > apparently identical Kyocera Finecam S3L on eBay. It all works fine
    > .. except that it won't work with eCS. When I connect it I get beeps
    > and drive e: appears (on my desktop - on my laptop it doesn't) but
    > "dir e:" gives me "SYS0027: The drive cannot find the sector (area)
    > requested."
    >
    > If I move the memory card to the other camera I can see it fine via
    > OS/2. If I move the memory card from the other camera, I can't see
    > that on mine. So it's not the memory card.
    >
    > If I boot the laptop in XP I can see my camera just fine. If I plug it
    > into my ASUS WAP/NAS box, which runs something vaguely Linux based, I
    > can see it fine there. So it's not (entirely) the camera.
    >
    > Anyone got any bright ideas about why one Kyocera Finecam S3L might be
    > visible while another one isn't?
    >
    > Ian

    Did you try looking at the "drive" to see if the two memory devices are
    using the same file system? I'm sure you can do this with WinXP, and
    maybe with eCS / OS/2.

    Have you tried using a card reader type device to read the memory card?
    That is how I manage my photos from a Canon PowerShot S200; I'm not even
    sure whether I've ever tried connecting the camera under eCS.

    If I understood your statements in the paragraph starting "If I
    move...", you have tried swapping the memory cards between cameras, and
    both cameras work with both memory cards. Is that right? Also, the one
    "old" memory card works with eCS / OS/2, and the other "new" one still
    doesn't, regardless of which camera it is in. Is that right?

    This suggests your (possible) simplest solution:
    Give your buddy the NEW camera and card, and keep the one that works
    with eCS!

  3. Re: Invisible twin camera

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 04:26:41 UTC, Colin Campbell
    wrote:

    : Did you try looking at the "drive" to see if the two memory devices are
    : using the same file system? I'm sure you can do this with WinXP, and
    : maybe with eCS / OS/2.

    File system: unknown
    Block size: unknown

    I have just discovered that "refresh removable drives" doesn't add the
    camera to the drives list, but "dir e:" does, even though all it gives
    is a SYS0027

    : Have you tried using a card reader type device to read the memory card?
    : That is how I manage my photos from a Canon PowerShot S200; I'm not even
    : sure whether I've ever tried connecting the camera under eCS.

    That's probably the next thing to try.

    : If I understood your statements in the paragraph starting "If I
    : move...", you have tried swapping the memory cards between cameras, and
    : both cameras work with both memory cards. Is that right? Also, the one
    : "old" memory card works with eCS / OS/2, and the other "new" one still
    : doesn't, regardless of which camera it is in. Is that right?

    Sorry, I was unclear. Both memory cards work fine in both cameras. The
    other camera works as an OS/2 drive with either memory card in it. My
    camera doesn't work as an OS/2 drive with either memory card in it.

    : This suggests your (possible) simplest solution:
    : Give your buddy the NEW camera and card, and keep the one that works
    : with eCS!

    Unfortunately mine is scruffier ... and she uses my PC for downloading
    anyway!

    Thanks for your help.

    Ian

  4. Re: Invisible twin camera

    Hi Ian

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 04:26:41 UTC, Colin Campbell
    > wrote:
    >
    > : Did you try looking at the "drive" to see if the two memory devices are
    > : using the same file system? I'm sure you can do this with WinXP, and
    > : maybe with eCS / OS/2.
    >
    > File system: unknown
    > Block size: unknown

    Your system cannot understand what file system, if any, is on the card.

    > I have just discovered that "refresh removable drives" doesn't add the
    > camera to the drives list, but "dir e:" does, even though all it gives
    > is a SYS0027
    >
    > : Have you tried using a card reader type device to read the memory card?
    > : That is how I manage my photos from a Canon PowerShot S200; I'm not even
    > : sure whether I've ever tried connecting the camera under eCS.
    >
    > That's probably the next thing to try.
    >
    > : If I understood your statements in the paragraph starting "If I
    > : move...", you have tried swapping the memory cards between cameras, and
    > : both cameras work with both memory cards. Is that right? Also, the one
    > : "old" memory card works with eCS / OS/2, and the other "new" one still
    > : doesn't, regardless of which camera it is in. Is that right?
    >
    > Sorry, I was unclear. Both memory cards work fine in both cameras. The
    > other camera works as an OS/2 drive with either memory card in it. My
    > camera doesn't work as an OS/2 drive with either memory card in it.

    Is the camera switchable between mass storage and something like PTP? If
    "Yes" then the camera needs to be switched to mass storage (msd).

    I ask because it seems that both cards work with 1 camera when plugged
    into an eCS system and both fail to work with the other camera when
    plugged into that eCS system. Suggests a camera difference.

    Regards

    Pete

    > : This suggests your (possible) simplest solution:
    > : Give your buddy the NEW camera and card, and keep the one that works
    > : with eCS!
    >
    > Unfortunately mine is scruffier ... and she uses my PC for downloading
    > anyway!
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Ian

  5. Re: Invisible twin camera

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:02:17 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    : Your system cannot understand what file system, if any, is on the card.

    It seems to be the camera, rather than the card.

    : Is the camera switchable between mass storage and something like PTP? If
    : "Yes" then the camera needs to be switched to mass storage (msd).

    Not as far as I can see. Both cameras get identified as USB Mass
    Storage Devices by Windows XP Pro.

    : I ask because it seems that both cards work with 1 camera when plugged
    : into an eCS system and both fail to work with the other camera when
    : plugged into that eCS system. Suggests a camera difference.

    I decided to upgrade to the latest IBM USB stuff from ecomstation.com.
    And that's made a difference - now neither camera works, either with
    the IBM usbmsd driver or the Wollgemuth one which I used before.

    Oh well. At least I have consistency now.

    Erm, anyone got any good ideas for things to tweak in the IBM base USB
    stuff?

    Ian

  6. Re: Invisible twin camera

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:41:08 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    : I decided to upgrade to the latest IBM USB stuff from ecomstation.com.
    : And that's made a difference - now neither camera works, either with
    : the IBM usbmsd driver or the Wollgemuth one which I used before.

    And it gets better, because now the old camera (the one which always
    used to work) doesn't work with my laptop either, on which I hadn't
    changed anything. So just trying to access that with the latest USB
    MSD driver or base kit seems to have confused it - I did no more than
    a "dir e:" on it.

    I have now discovered that I can get lvm to see the camera file
    system, and I can cheerfully repartition and format the card from the
    computer. Unfortunately, once I've done that, the camera gives me
    "Card error" and won't do anything until I reformat the card with it,
    at which point "SYS0027 ... cannot find the sector ..."

    OK, different track. Do most USB card readers work happily with OS/2
    or are there any gotchas?

    Ian

  7. Re: Invisible twin camera

    Hi Ian

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:41:08 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    > wrote:
    >
    > : I decided to upgrade to the latest IBM USB stuff from ecomstation.com.
    > : And that's made a difference - now neither camera works, either with
    > : the IBM usbmsd driver or the Wollgemuth one which I used before.
    >
    > And it gets better, because now the old camera (the one which always
    > used to work) doesn't work with my laptop either, on which I hadn't
    > changed anything. So just trying to access that with the latest USB
    > MSD driver or base kit seems to have confused it - I did no more than
    > a "dir e:" on it.

    Sounds like you may not be using the current os2dasd.dmd file. Check the
    buildlevel

    [H:\os2\boot]bldlevel os2dasd.dmd
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
    Signature: @#IBM:14.104#@ IBM DASD Manager

    and update if using an earlier version. I think the update is part of
    the ide update package ide10161.zip

    > I have now discovered that I can get lvm to see the camera file
    > system, and I can cheerfully repartition and format the card from the
    > computer. Unfortunately, once I've done that, the camera gives me
    > "Card error" and won't do anything until I reformat the card with it,
    > at which point "SYS0027 ... cannot find the sector ..."

    I don't have lots of experience with cameras but the little I have says
    that the camera prefers to muck with the file system; format, delete etc.

    > OK, different track. Do most USB card readers work happily with OS/2
    > or are there any gotchas?

    I have 3 PCs here with Internal USB cardreaders fitted.

    These are *Not* supported by the IBM USB drivers - but they work fine
    with the only limitation being that the Removsable Device Monitor does
    not notice anything when media is inserted into a slot.

    Refreshing the Drives folder View or using the Refresh Removables object
    displays the media as a drive.

    So, performing the above "manual refresh" is the only "gotcha" I've
    discovered.

    Of possible use/help/interest:-

    USBcfg may help with USB configuration
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/USBcfgb6c.zip

    USB Removables Care and Feeding FAQs
    http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...feature_2.html

    Regards

    Pete

  8. Re: Invisible twin camera

    Sir:

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:41:08 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    > wrote:
    >
    > : I decided to upgrade to the latest IBM USB stuff from ecomstation.com.
    > : And that's made a difference - now neither camera works, either with
    > : the IBM usbmsd driver or the Wollgemuth one which I used before.
    >
    > And it gets better, because now the old camera (the one which always
    > used to work) doesn't work with my laptop either, on which I hadn't
    > changed anything. So just trying to access that with the latest USB
    > MSD driver or base kit seems to have confused it - I did no more than
    > a "dir e:" on it.
    >
    > I have now discovered that I can get lvm to see the camera file
    > system, and I can cheerfully repartition and format the card from the
    > computer. Unfortunately, once I've done that, the camera gives me
    > "Card error" and won't do anything until I reformat the card with it,
    > at which point "SYS0027 ... cannot find the sector ..."
    >
    > OK, different track. Do most USB card readers work happily with OS/2
    > or are there any gotchas?
    >
    > Ian

    I have a suggestion, if this is still a problem. Since LVM will see
    both cards in both cameras, this suggest that the problem is with OS/2,
    not the cameras. Backup any pictures using Windows. I would use LVM to
    create one logical partition on each of the memory cards, and then use
    the cameras, either one, to format the cards with its file system. The
    (newly added) contents should now be visible on OS/2, even with the
    latest USB drivers. I think this is the old partitioned vs large floppy
    issue with OS2dasd.dmd that removeables on OS/2 are afflicted.

    I think you had done this before with the camera memory card, the one
    that worked.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  9. Re: Invisible twin camera

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:29:52 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    : I think you had done this before with the camera memory card, the one
    : that worked.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it sometime but both cards
    worked, as long as they were in one of the cameras. And both cards
    failed to work in the other camera. I then upgraded the USB stuff in
    my desktop PC and both cards stopped working even in the "good"
    camera, and even on a laptop on which I hadn't done the USB upgrade.

    All most bafling,

    Ian

+ Reply to Thread