HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9 - OS2

This is a discussion on HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9 - OS2 ; I didn't check before now, so it could have been removed a while back, but since 10.0 release. Trying to mount HPFS partition in kernel 2.6.16-7-default gives error: hpfs: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag. Is it ...

  1. HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9

    I didn't check before now, so it could have been removed a while back,
    but since 10.0 release. Trying to mount HPFS partition in kernel
    2.6.16-7-default gives error:

    hpfs: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.

    Is it possible that we can get this undone somehow? This is going to
    hamper a lot of folks with OS/2 to Linux migration plans. It has
    traditionally been a reason for OS/2 users to prefer SuSE over other
    distros that removed it long ago.
    --
    "Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but
    rather expose them." Ephesians 5:11 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

  2. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9

    Hi Felix

    Felix Miata wrote:
    > I didn't check before now, so it could have been removed a while back,
    > but since 10.0 release. Trying to mount HPFS partition in kernel
    > 2.6.16-7-default gives error:
    >
    > hpfs: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
    >
    > Is it possible that we can get this undone somehow? This is going to
    > hamper a lot of folks with OS/2 to Linux migration plans. It has
    > traditionally been a reason for OS/2 users to prefer SuSE over other
    > distros that removed it long ago.

    Maybe the folks planning on moving from OS/2 based systems to SuSE
    should moan at SuSE?

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:09:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.bugs, Felix Miata
    wrote:

    > I didn't check before now, so it could have been removed a while back,
    > but since 10.0 release. Trying to mount HPFS partition in kernel
    > 2.6.16-7-default gives error:
    >
    > hpfs: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
    >
    > Is it possible that we can get this undone somehow? This is going to
    > hamper a lot of folks with OS/2 to Linux migration plans. It has
    > traditionally been a reason for OS/2 users to prefer SuSE over other
    > distros that removed it long ago.

    That isn't an error message, it's information. The problem is that the HPFS
    module isn't supported by *anyone*. It's still part of the stock 'vanilla'
    kernel in 2.6.15.1 so it hasn't gone away yet but the person listed as the
    maintainer doesn't maintain it anymore. SuSE are just setting the 'taint' flag
    so it'll still load and work but they're saying that if you report a problem to
    them that looks kernel related then they'll ask you to reproduce it without hpfs
    loaded.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  4. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:33:02 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:09:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.bugs, Felix Miata
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I didn't check before now, so it could have been removed a while back,
    > > but since 10.0 release. Trying to mount HPFS partition in kernel
    > > 2.6.16-7-default gives error:
    > >
    > > hpfs: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
    > >
    > > Is it possible that we can get this undone somehow? This is going to
    > > hamper a lot of folks with OS/2 to Linux migration plans. It has
    > > traditionally been a reason for OS/2 users to prefer SuSE over other
    > > distros that removed it long ago.

    > That isn't an error message, it's information. The problem is that the HPFS
    > module isn't supported by *anyone*. It's still part of the stock 'vanilla'
    > kernel in 2.6.15.1 so it hasn't gone away yet but the person listed as the
    > maintainer doesn't maintain it anymore. SuSE are just setting the 'taint' flag
    > so it'll still load and work but they're saying that if you report a problem to
    > them that looks kernel related then they'll ask you to reproduce it without hpfs
    > loaded.

    Can any Linux distro use or understand the JFS file system we use in OS/2?

    --
    Best regards
    Sten Solberg

    .... Also sprach Zarathustra: "Have a Good Day!"

  5. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9

    Sten Solberg wrote:

    > Can any Linux distro use or understand the JFS file system we use in OS/2?

    It has JFS, but I think the issue is in OS/2's LVM. Debian Sarge could not understand what the OS/2 JFS partition was on a dualboot box I have here. I would think the JFS is close enough, thus blame LVM.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  6. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9

    Sten Solberg wrote:

    > Can any Linux distro use or understand the JFS file system we use in OS/2?

    I seem to remember that when using jfs_mkfs to create
    a jfs partition on Linux that you can specify the -O
    option for compatibility with OS/2. I assume this means
    that OS/2 can read the Linux jfs partition, but I am not
    sure that this means Linux can read the OS/2 jfs partition.

    -Philip

  7. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:09:15 UTC, Felix Miata
    wrote:

    > I didn't check before now, so it could have been removed a while back,
    > but since 10.0 release. Trying to mount HPFS partition in kernel
    > 2.6.16-7-default gives error:
    >
    > hpfs: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
    >
    > Is it possible that we can get this undone somehow? This is going to
    > hamper a lot of folks with OS/2 to Linux migration plans. It has
    > traditionally been a reason for OS/2 users to prefer SuSE over other
    > distros that removed it long ago.

    It still works perfectly!

    That WARNING message merely states that noone at Suse will respond to any
    complaints you have with HPFS support!

    ....eric

  8. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9 - NOT

    eric w wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:09:15 UTC, Felix Miata
    > wrote:

    > > I didn't check before now, so it could have been removed a while back,
    > > but since 10.0 release. Trying to mount HPFS partition in kernel
    > > 2.6.16-7-default gives error:

    > > hpfs: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.

    > > Is it possible that we can get this undone somehow? This is going to
    > > hamper a lot of folks with OS/2 to Linux migration plans. It has
    > > traditionally been a reason for OS/2 users to prefer SuSE over other
    > > distros that removed it long ago.

    > It still works perfectly!

    > That WARNING message merely states that noone at Suse will respond to any
    > complaints you have with HPFS support!

    Up to kernel 2.6.16-28-default as of last night's upgrade to
    10.2rc2/factory. Finally figured out I got off track somehow in fstab.
    These are three of my now working fstab entries:

    /dev/hda8 /disks/D vfat
    users,noexec,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,ro,noatime,noau to 0 0
    /dev/hda9 /disks/E msdos
    users,noexec,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,ro,noatime,noau to 0 0
    /dev/hda19 /hpfs/T hpfs
    users,noexec,umask=0,gid=1000,case=asis,ro,noatime ,noauto 0 0

    The forces of darkness have erased my memory of why I had set
    fmask=0111,dmask=0000 on anything, which on hpfs results in bad option
    errors attempting to mount, which in turn is what lead to my starting
    this thread. fmask=0111,dmask=0000 apparently works fine on both msdos
    and vfat. I also have no idea why I'm not using umask=0 on vfat & msdos.
    Anyone have any ideas why these non-native filesystems use or need
    different mask options?
    --
    "Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but
    rather expose them." Ephesians 5:11 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/auth

  9. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9 - NOT

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:05:42 UTC, Felix Miata
    wrote:

    > eric w wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:09:15 UTC, Felix Miata
    > > wrote:

    > > > I didn't check before now, so it could have been removed a while back,
    > > > but since 10.0 release. Trying to mount HPFS partition in kernel
    > > > 2.6.16-7-default gives error:

    > > > hpfs: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.

    > > > Is it possible that we can get this undone somehow? This is going to
    > > > hamper a lot of folks with OS/2 to Linux migration plans. It has
    > > > traditionally been a reason for OS/2 users to prefer SuSE over other
    > > > distros that removed it long ago.

    > > It still works perfectly!

    > > That WARNING message merely states that noone at Suse will respond to any
    > > complaints you have with HPFS support!

    > Up to kernel 2.6.16-28-default as of last night's upgrade to
    > 10.2rc2/factory. Finally figured out I got off track somehow in fstab.
    > These are three of my now working fstab entries:
    >
    > /dev/hda8 /disks/D vfat
    > users,noexec,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,ro,noatime,noau to 0 0
    > /dev/hda9 /disks/E msdos
    > users,noexec,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,ro,noatime,noau to 0 0
    > /dev/hda19 /hpfs/T hpfs
    > users,noexec,umask=0,gid=1000,case=asis,ro,noatime ,noauto 0 0
    >
    > The forces of darkness have erased my memory of why I had set
    > fmask=0111,dmask=0000 on anything, which on hpfs results in bad option
    > errors attempting to mount, which in turn is what lead to my starting
    > this thread. fmask=0111,dmask=0000 apparently works fine on both msdos
    > and vfat. I also have no idea why I'm not using umask=0 on vfat & msdos.
    > Anyone have any ideas why these non-native filesystems use or need
    > different mask options?

    I'll boot my LINUX soon & post my HPFS vol entries for FSTAB.

  10. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9 - NOT

    On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:17:44 UTC, "eric w" wrote:

    > I'll boot my LINUX soon & post my HPFS vol entries for FSTAB.

    /dev/hda5 /warp hpfs ro 0 0

  11. Re: HPFS Support Gone from Stock SuSE Kernel in 10.1b9

    Sten Solberg wrote
    > Can any Linux distro use or understand the JFS file system we use in OS/2?

    Yes,

    I have been using JFS with SuSE since 9.1. Now I am in 10.1.
    I formated under OS/2. SuSE can format the partition with JFS but I have not
    try it so I do not know if it works.
    SuSE initially supported JFS in such a way that using 9.1 and I belive 9.2 I
    had the whole drive formatted with JFS except /boot. Then they remove the
    support because in some configuration had problems however the JFS was
    still there as well as the JFS tools. I've just heard that Novell is
    working with the JFS and it may be supported again.
    In summary JFS is the partion I share between OS/2 and Linux.

    Regards,

    -=terry(Denver)=-

+ Reply to Thread