RSJ CD-Burner Re-installation - OS2

This is a discussion on RSJ CD-Burner Re-installation - OS2 ; I recently upgraded from Ecomstation 1.1 to 1.2R. Included with this upgrade is a version of RSJ, but I am not sure which it is.. After installation of EcS 1.2R, I found that RSJ was not "seeing" my CD drives. ...

  1. RSJ CD-Burner Re-installation

    I recently upgraded from Ecomstation 1.1 to 1.2R. Included with this
    upgrade is a version of RSJ, but I am not sure which it is.. After
    installation of EcS 1.2R, I found that RSJ was not "seeing" my CD
    drives. I decided to uninstall RSJ from my system. However, I have
    since received notice from the Ecom people on how to solve the problem
    I had with it, but now I don't know how to re-install RSJ from the Ecom
    1.2R installation CD without completely reinstalling the system.
    Perhaps Ecom allows a selective install, but I do not wish to
    re-install the entire system now that I have it working the way I like
    it. I have not heard back from Ecom regarding this problem, so I
    thought I might try the helpline here.

    Sincerely,

    JN

  2. Re: RSJ CD-Burner Re-installation

    pacgeo@telus.net wrote:
    > I recently upgraded from Ecomstation 1.1 to 1.2R. Included with this
    > upgrade is a version of RSJ, but I am not sure which it is.. After
    > installation of EcS 1.2R, I found that RSJ was not "seeing" my CD
    > drives. I decided to uninstall RSJ from my system. However, I have
    > since received notice from the Ecom people on how to solve the problem
    > I had with it, but now I don't know how to re-install RSJ from the Ecom
    > 1.2R installation CD without completely reinstalling the system.
    > Perhaps Ecom allows a selective install, but I do not wish to
    > re-install the entire system now that I have it working the way I like
    > it. I have not heard back from Ecom regarding this problem, so I
    > thought I might try the helpline here.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > JN

    RSJ won't see your CDRom without it being told to do so everytime you
    want to use it. In short, you have to tell OS/2 to "attach" or
    recognize the CD to a particular drive letter. You can do it two ways:

    Probably the easiest way is to open the RSU CD Writer folder. Inside
    you'll see icons for "CD Cover" "CD View" "CD Writer" "CopyWizard" and
    "RSJ CD Boot".

    Click on the "CD Writer" icon and a "Properties" type menu with colored
    tabs appears. Stay with the blue "General" tab. Under Drive Letter
    you'll see the drive letter the system has assigned to it. Click on the
    "Attach now" button. Another pop up menu identified as "Attach
    recorder - X: (the X being what ever drive is assigned). Click OK
    (Make sure you have a CD in the CDRom, blank or with data on it, or an
    error pops up saying the drive is not ready.) Once the menu disappears
    your drive is not "mounted" or "attached" and ready for use.

    The other option is to jump to an OS/2 command prompt and simply type at
    the prompt: cdattach z:

    The CDRom will be assigned to the last drive letter Z. Again, make sure
    you have a CD in the drive before you attach it.

    Now you can read a CD with data on it, like music or software or files
    or movies... or, if blank, you can copy files to it. Once the files are
    copied over, you can then finalize the CD.

    That can be done two ways: from the same Properties Menu above you'll
    see a "finalize" button. Click on it and the CD will be finalized.

    You can do it from the same command line by simply typing at the prompt:
    cdattach z: -x

    The CD will be finalized and will pop out of the CDRom.

    When that happens you have to go back through the same steps above to
    "attach" (also known as "mount") the CDRom. Put a CD
    in the CDRoom and attach the CDRom using the Properties menu attach
    button or from the command line (cdattach z: or s: or u: whatever drive
    is free...).

  3. Re: RSJ CD-Burner Re-installation

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > pacgeo@telus.net wrote:
    >
    >> I recently upgraded from Ecomstation 1.1 to 1.2R. Included with this
    >> upgrade is a version of RSJ, but I am not sure which it is.. After
    >> installation of EcS 1.2R, I found that RSJ was not "seeing" my CD
    >> drives. I decided to uninstall RSJ from my system. However, I have
    >> since received notice from the Ecom people on how to solve the problem
    >> I had with it, but now I don't know how to re-install RSJ from the Ecom
    >> 1.2R installation CD without completely reinstalling the system.
    >> Perhaps Ecom allows a selective install, but I do not wish to
    >> re-install the entire system now that I have it working the way I like
    >> it. I have not heard back from Ecom regarding this problem, so I
    >> thought I might try the helpline here.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> JN

    > RSJ won't see your CDRom without it being told to do so everytime you
    > want to use it. In short, you have to tell OS/2 to "attach" or
    > recognize the CD to a particular drive letter. You can do it two ways:
    >
    > Probably the easiest way is to open the RSU CD Writer folder. Inside
    > you'll see icons for "CD Cover" "CD View" "CD Writer" "CopyWizard" and
    > "RSJ CD Boot".
    >
    > Click on the "CD Writer" icon and a "Properties" type menu with colored
    > tabs appears. Stay with the blue "General" tab. Under Drive Letter
    > you'll see the drive letter the system has assigned to it. Click on the
    > "Attach now" button. Another pop up menu identified as "Attach
    > recorder - X: (the X being what ever drive is assigned). Click OK (Make
    > sure you have a CD in the CDRom, blank or with data on it, or an error
    > pops up saying the drive is not ready.) Once the menu disappears your
    > drive is not "mounted" or "attached" and ready for use.
    >
    > The other option is to jump to an OS/2 command prompt and simply type at
    > the prompt: cdattach z:
    >
    > The CDRom will be assigned to the last drive letter Z. Again, make sure
    > you have a CD in the drive before you attach it.
    >
    > Now you can read a CD with data on it, like music or software or files
    > or movies... or, if blank, you can copy files to it. Once the files are
    > copied over, you can then finalize the CD.
    >
    > That can be done two ways: from the same Properties Menu above you'll
    > see a "finalize" button. Click on it and the CD will be finalized.
    >
    > You can do it from the same command line by simply typing at the prompt:
    > cdattach z: -x
    >
    > The CD will be finalized and will pop out of the CDRom.
    >
    > When that happens you have to go back through the same steps above to
    > "attach" (also known as "mount") the CDRom. Put a CD
    > in the CDRoom and attach the CDRom using the Properties menu attach
    > button or from the command line (cdattach z: or s: or u: whatever drive
    > is free...).

    BTW, stop reinstalling RSJ. That isn't the fix. The fix is above. You
    have to tell OS/2 to attach the CDROM even though we both know the CDROM
    is already attached or connected to your computer.

    Also remember that the RSJ with eComStation or "Ecom" as you call it is
    a demo version and good for, I think, just ten "attachment" times or
    maybe thirty days. I dunno. I don't use "Ecom" but I do use the full
    version of RSJ.

    Download OS2MT which is an OS/2 Maintenance Tool. You'll find CDRecord
    listed. Click on it and it will install a free version of CD Software
    for you. Many people here use it although I do not nor can I explain or
    direct you on how to use it - but others will.