Advanced Power Management - OS2

This is a discussion on Advanced Power Management - OS2 ; I have always taken it for granted that turning my OS/2 machine off would require me to shut down and wait until the screen prompt to restart or power off. With a network connected, however, this takes a while and ...

  1. Advanced Power Management

    I have always taken it for granted that turning my OS/2 machine off
    would require me to
    shut down and wait until the screen prompt to restart or power off.
    With a network
    connected, however, this takes a while and it would be mouch more
    convenient if the power off were
    automatic.

    Is it possible to configure the OS/2 machine so that it powers itself
    off in the same
    manner as Windoze and Linux?

    Regards,
    Alastair.

    --

  2. Re: Advanced Power Management

    > Is it possible to configure the OS/2 machine so that it powers itself
    > off in the same
    > manner as Windoze and Linux?

    If you have XWorkplace or eComStation installed you can activate
    a replacement for the shutdown dialog that adds new options for
    going to standby or automatically switching off the system after
    shutdown.

    This only works with APM (not yet with ACPI). I think you even
    have to have APM 1.2 driver installed. The APM version is shown
    in the energy object properties.

  3. Re: Advanced Power Management

    Alastair wrote:
    > I have always taken it for granted that turning my OS/2 machine off
    > would require me to
    > shut down and wait until the screen prompt to restart or power off.
    > With a network
    > connected, however, this takes a while and it would be mouch more
    > convenient if the power off were
    > automatic.
    >
    > Is it possible to configure the OS/2 machine so that it powers itself
    > off in the same
    > manner as Windoze and Linux?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Alastair.

    If the OS2 apm drivers work on your system Xworkplace provides an
    extended shutdown that will do this.
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/.../xwp-1-0-4.zip

  4. Re: Advanced Power Management

    Alastair wrote:

    > With a network
    > connected, however, this takes a while

    Assuming network=peer/requester in this case, you
    can speed up the shutdown by using 'logoff /y'

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  5. Re: Advanced Power Management

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:57:01 UTC, "Alastair"
    wrote:

    > I have always taken it for granted that turning my OS/2 machine off
    > would require me to
    > shut down and wait until the screen prompt to restart or power off.
    > With a network
    > connected, however, this takes a while and it would be mouch more
    > convenient if the power off were
    > automatic.
    >
    > Is it possible to configure the OS/2 machine so that it powers itself
    > off in the same
    > manner as Windoze and Linux?

    My eComStation 1.2 does exactly that but more:
    - shut down and power the mashine off
    - shut down and wait for next action
    - shut down and reboot.
    and more I've deactivated.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  6. Re: Advanced Power Management

    Sir:

    Herbert Rosenau wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:57:01 UTC, "Alastair"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have always taken it for granted that turning my OS/2 machine off
    >> would require me to
    >> shut down and wait until the screen prompt to restart or power off.
    >> With a network
    >> connected, however, this takes a while and it would be mouch more
    >> convenient if the power off were
    >> automatic.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to configure the OS/2 machine so that it powers itself
    >> off in the same
    >> manner as Windoze and Linux?

    > My eComStation 1.2 does exactly that but more:
    > - shut down and power the mashine off
    > - shut down and wait for next action
    > - shut down and reboot.
    > and more I've deactivated.

    A lot of this depends upon that the main board/BIOS is capable of doing.
    The main board in my current machine will not suspend. The main board
    I had in the machine before this one would. But one can always use the
    Power Off command that is a choice in the \system setup\power object's
    menu to shutdown the machine, assuming that APM BIOS functions are
    enabled and its version is at 1.2 level.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: Advanced Power Management

    However, APM will not work with SMP systems.

    Andy Staszko

    Alastair wrote:
    > I have always taken it for granted that turning my OS/2 machine off
    > would require me to
    > shut down and wait until the screen prompt to restart or power off.
    > With a network
    > connected, however, this takes a while and it would be mouch more
    > convenient if the power off were
    > automatic.
    >
    > Is it possible to configure the OS/2 machine so that it powers itself
    > off in the same
    > manner as Windoze and Linux?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Alastair.

  8. Re: Advanced Power Management

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:54:54 UTC, Andy Staszko
    wrote:

    > However, APM will not work with SMP systems.

    That depends on the motherboard's support of APM. I have a dual PIII
    750 motherboard that will power down just fine... WSeB with FP3 or
    so...

    Lorne

    --
    Lorne Sunley