Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card - OS2

This is a discussion on Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card - OS2 ; I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed? -- "What do you ...

  1. Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    --
    "What do you mean there's no movie?"

  2. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    Sir:

    Count Floyd wrote:
    > I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    > latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    > 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    None of the above. That is all the memory that is being used by SNAP
    for the frame buffer. Remember that SNAP does not used extra memory for
    bitmaps textures, etc. as SNAP does not support those features for
    games. When you use two monitors, the resolution will change to stretch
    to cover both screens and the memory in use will increase.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:20:03 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Count Floyd wrote:
    > > I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    > > latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    > > 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    > None of the above. That is all the memory that is being used by SNAP
    > for the frame buffer. Remember that SNAP does not used extra memory for
    > bitmaps textures, etc. as SNAP does not support those features for
    > games. When you use two monitors, the resolution will change to stretch
    > to cover both screens and the memory in use will increase.

    Bill,
    Thanks, I thought that I got short-changed with this card. I ordered
    this card for only $12.99 from Geeks.com and I called them to ask
    about this so-called problem. Why does SNAP not show the entire
    32megs of video memory? Even for just one monitor. I am using a Dell
    E153FP, 15" monitor.

    --
    "What do you mean there's no movie?"

  4. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:24:53 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Count Floyd" Floyd@sctv.com> wrote:

    > I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    > latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    > 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    I have an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 with 128MB and Snap reports it as having 128MB
    on the first page of the OS/2 System -> System Setup -> System notebook.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  5. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    Sir:

    Count Floyd wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:20:03 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Count Floyd wrote:
    >>> I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    >>> latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    >>> 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    >> None of the above. That is all the memory that is being used by SNAP
    >> for the frame buffer. Remember that SNAP does not used extra memory for
    >> bitmaps textures, etc. as SNAP does not support those features for
    >> games. When you use two monitors, the resolution will change to stretch
    >> to cover both screens and the memory in use will increase.

    > Bill,
    > Thanks, I thought that I got short-changed with this card. I ordered
    > this card for only $12.99 from Geeks.com and I called them to ask
    > about this so-called problem. Why does SNAP not show the entire
    > 32megs of video memory? Even for just one monitor. I am using a Dell
    > E153FP, 15" monitor.

    The frame buffer comes out of upper system shared memory. The larger
    the frame buffer, the more likely that you'll have mysterious crashes as
    the system runs out of this kind of memory. But given the small size of
    the memory installed, that not a worry for you as this problem only
    shows up when you get to 128 MiB memory used or larger with
    VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT set to greater than 2 GiB. I personally never, I
    don't think, have encountered this problem. But like you my card only
    has 32 MiB of memory installed.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    Count Floyd wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:20:03 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Sir:
    >>
    >>Count Floyd wrote:
    >>

    >>>I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    >>>latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    >>>16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?
    >>>

    >>None of the above. That is all the memory that is being used by SNAP
    >>for the frame buffer. Remember that SNAP does not used extra memory for
    >>bitmaps textures, etc. as SNAP does not support those features for
    >>games. When you use two monitors, the resolution will change to stretch
    >>to cover both screens and the memory in use will increase.
    >>

    >Bill,
    >Thanks, I thought that I got short-changed with this card. I ordered
    >this card for only $12.99 from Geeks.com and I called them to ask
    >about this so-called problem. Why does SNAP not show the entire
    >32megs of video memory? Even for just one monitor. I am using a Dell
    >E153FP, 15" monitor.

    I have an older system with an MGA-G400 video card, and I'm using
    SciTech SNAP Graphics. The memory is correctly reported as 32MB. Is it
    possible that your card doesn't really have 32MB, but only 16MB?

    Also, you aren't looking at the "Colors" pull down, where mine says
    "16M", are you?

  7. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Count Floyd wrote:
    > > I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    > > latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    > > 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    > None of the above. That is all the memory that is being used by SNAP
    > for the frame buffer. Remember that SNAP does not used extra memory for
    > bitmaps textures, etc. as SNAP does not support those features for
    > games. When you use two monitors, the resolution will change to stretch
    > to cover both screens and the memory in use will increase.

    Interesting. I have a Radeon 9600 XT with 256 mb, and the SNAP
    graphics log says that because of mapping issues, only 64 mb are
    available. So this is a common thing. However, I've been told that
    os/2 will not need more than 32 anyway for the reasons above. I have
    1GB of system memory and my virtualaddresslimit is set to 2048

    --

  8. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    > Interesting. I have a Radeon 9600 XT with 256 mb, and the SNAP
    > graphics log says that because of mapping issues, only 64 mb are
    > available. So this is a common thing. However, I've been told that
    > os/2 will not need more than 32 anyway for the reasons above. I have
    > 1GB of system memory and my virtualaddresslimit is set to 2048

    Well, get rid of virtualaddresslimit or reduce it and
    you'll get more graphics memory for paging. I have also
    a Radeon 9600XT for which SNAP showed only 64MB of the
    available 128MB. Now with reduced limit it's at 128MB.

    Though I can't really see any speed improvements .

  9. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    Hi Heiko and All

    Heiko Nitzsche wrote:
    >> Interesting. I have a Radeon 9600 XT with 256 mb, and the SNAP
    >> graphics log says that because of mapping issues, only 64 mb are
    >> available. So this is a common thing. However, I've been told that
    >> os/2 will not need more than 32 anyway for the reasons above. I have
    >> 1GB of system memory and my virtualaddresslimit is set to 2048

    > Well, get rid of virtualaddresslimit or reduce it and
    > you'll get more graphics memory for paging. I have also
    > a Radeon 9600XT for which SNAP showed only 64MB of the
    > available 128MB. Now with reduced limit it's at 128MB.

    Interesting.

    My ATI X600PRO 256Mb used to show only 128Mb.

    Following a discussion about virtualaddresslimit somewhere in the ngs a
    week or several ago I REM'd that line in my config.sys file.

    Everything seems to work as before and the only obvious thing that I can
    see about REMming the line is that SNAP now shows the ATI X600 as having
    256Mb.

    > Though I can't really see any speed improvements .

    SNAP ;-)

    Pete

  10. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    "Count Floyd" writes:
    >On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:20:03 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Count Floyd wrote:
    >> > I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    >> > latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    >> > 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    >> None of the above. That is all the memory that is being used by SNAP
    >> for the frame buffer. Remember that SNAP does not used extra memory for
    >> bitmaps textures, etc. as SNAP does not support those features for
    >> games. When you use two monitors, the resolution will change to stretch
    >> to cover both screens and the memory in use will increase.

    >Bill,
    >Thanks, I thought that I got short-changed with this card. I ordered
    >this card for only $12.99 from Geeks.com and I called them to ask
    >about this so-called problem. Why does SNAP not show the entire
    >32megs of video memory? Even for just one monitor. I am using a Dell
    >E153FP, 15" monitor.

    Hello,

    I have the Matrox G400 using the Matrox drivers. The Matrox
    utility shows 32 megs. Also the VESA utilities from a DOS (VDM)
    command line report 32 megs.

    Steve N.

  11. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    Heiko Nitzsche writes:

    > Well, get rid of virtualaddresslimit or reduce it and
    > you'll get more graphics memory for paging.

    I have a G450 and VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT is set to 2560. SNAP says the
    video memory is 32 MB.

  12. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    Count Floyd wrote:
    > I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    > latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    > 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    Who knows what's on the card, but my 32Meg Matrox G450 is reported as
    32meg. I run Snap/SE build no 446.

    Perhaps you should try what Windows and Matrox drivers have to say about
    your particular G-450.

    Cheers,
    Martin

  13. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:24:53 UTC, "Count Floyd" Floyd@sctv.com> wrote:

    > I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    > latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    > 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    The first page of "System" says Matrox MGA-450, Memory 32 MB.

    Ciao, Harald

    --

    This OS/2 system's uptime is at least 5 days 05:39 hours and 51 seconds

  14. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    Hi All

    Peter Brown wrote:

    ----- snip -----

    > My ATI X600PRO 256Mb used to show only 128Mb.
    >
    > Following a discussion about virtualaddresslimit somewhere in the ngs a
    > week or several ago I REM'd that line in my config.sys file.
    >
    > Everything seems to work as before and the only obvious thing that I can
    > see about REMming the line is that SNAP now shows the ATI X600 as having
    > 256Mb.

    Found out what does not work with virtualaddresslimit missing from the
    config.sys file: Borland JBuilderX (using Innotek 142_05 sdk). There may
    be other things...

    Re-instating the VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=2048 line results in the above ati
    card showing 128Mb in SNAP and JBuilderX working.

    Regards

    Pete

  15. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:11:30 UTC, "Harald Kamm"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:24:53 UTC, "Count Floyd" Floyd@sctv.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    > > latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    > > 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    > The first page of "System" says Matrox MGA-450, Memory 32 MB.
    >
    > Ciao, Harald

    Harald,
    The system page says that I am getting only 16mb.

    --
    "What do you mean there's no movie?"

  16. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    Sir:

    CountFloyd@SCTV.com wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:11:30 UTC, "Harald Kamm"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:24:53 UTC, "Count Floyd" Floyd@sctv.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I ordered this card and it says it is 32mb. My SNAP drivers, the
    >>> latest, say I am getting 16mb. I am only using one monitor. Is this
    >>> 16mb per monitor or did I get screwed?

    >> The first page of "System" says Matrox MGA-450, Memory 32 MB.
    >>
    >> Ciao, Harald

    > Harald,
    > The system page says that I am getting only 16mb.

    I've seen some main boards have a BIOS setting that allocates the
    quantity of memory that can be used for video memory, usually integrated
    video chips. Maybe you have such a setting?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  17. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:12:07 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > CountFloyd@SCTV.com wrote:
    > > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:11:30 UTC, "Harald Kamm"
    > > wrote:

    > >> The first page of "System" says Matrox MGA-450, Memory 32 MB.
    > >>
    > >> Ciao, Harald

    > > Harald,
    > > The system page says that I am getting only 16mb.
    > >

    > I've seen some main boards have a BIOS setting that allocates the
    > quantity of memory that can be used for video memory, usually integrated
    > video chips. Maybe you have such a setting?

    Bill,
    This is an IBM NetVista 6578. I will check the BIOS. If so, what do
    I do with the setting?

    --
    "What do you mean there's no movie?"

  18. Re: Matrox G450 Dual Head Video Card

    Sir:

    CountFloyd@SCTV.com wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:12:07 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> CountFloyd@SCTV.com wrote:

    >>> Harald,
    >>> The system page says that I am getting only 16mb.
    >>>

    >> I've seen some main boards have a BIOS setting that allocates the
    >> quantity of memory that can be used for video memory, usually integrated
    >> video chips. Maybe you have such a setting?

    > Bill,
    > This is an IBM NetVista 6578. I will check the BIOS. If so, what do
    > I do with the setting?

    If they call it aperture size. I'd set it to be as large as the amount
    of video memory or twice that, so says some pundits. Other setting
    would be memory size. Those would allocate some main memory to video
    memory. If that what is there, then you don't want to mess with it.
    You need to look into the manual for that machine to see what it says.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

+ Reply to Thread