T30 Bios - OS2

This is a discussion on T30 Bios - OS2 ; I bought a used T30 thinkpad. It has a bios password that I dont know, but I could hit the enter key to at least view the bios settings. I took out the cmos battery hoping to kill the password. ...

  1. T30 Bios

    I bought a used T30 thinkpad. It has a bios password that I dont know,
    but I could hit the enter key to at least view the bios settings. I
    took out the cmos battery hoping to kill the password. Now when it
    powers up, it tells me the date is not set and just hitting the enter
    key no longer works. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: T30 Bios

    pirate wrote:
    > I bought a used T30 thinkpad. It has a bios password that I dont know,
    > but I could hit the enter key to at least view the bios settings. I
    > took out the cmos battery hoping to kill the password. Now when it
    > powers up, it tells me the date is not set and just hitting the enter
    > key no longer works. Any suggestions?

    You have to go into the BIOS to set the time and date.

    Rich W.

  3. Re: T30 Bios

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 21:55:12 UTC, "pirate"
    wrote:

    > I bought a used T30 thinkpad. It has a bios password that I dont know,
    > but I could hit the enter key to at least view the bios settings. I
    > took out the cmos battery hoping to kill the password. Now when it
    > powers up, it tells me the date is not set and just hitting the enter
    > key no longer works. Any suggestions?

    admin password that is set you're SOL. It's a MB replacement by
    IBM to change it. If it's only a user password then get the
    manuel from the Thinkpad site - it's not such an intuitive
    process. Press and hold F1 and switch the laptop on, that *may*
    get you into the BIOS after a few seconds.

    --
    Simon Wright
    diver 0 6 at gmx dot net

  4. Re: T30 Bios

    pirate wrote:
    > I bought a used T30 thinkpad. It has a bios password that I dont know,
    > but I could hit the enter key to at least view the bios settings. I
    > took out the cmos battery hoping to kill the password. Now when it
    > powers up, it tells me the date is not set and just hitting the enter
    > key no longer works. Any suggestions?

    You obviously purchased a stolen Thinkpad. "You gets what
    you pay for ... "

    Log on to the forum at Thinkpads.com and see if someone there
    knows a trick or two. If not you'll have to return the machine to
    IBM (Lenovo now?) and have them remove the password. There
    will be a fee and they may require proof of purchase and transfer
    of ownership documentation. IBM simply doesn't remove passwords
    on machines because someone comes to them and says they
    lost their password. They will want proof it was legally transferred
    to you by the original or legally subsequent owner.

    Or you could try pawning it off on someone else.

    The eCS Guyİ

  5. Re: T30 Bios

    Simon Wright wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 21:55:12 UTC, "pirate"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I bought a used T30 thinkpad. It has a bios password that I dont know,
    >>but I could hit the enter key to at least view the bios settings. I
    >>took out the cmos battery hoping to kill the password. Now when it
    >>powers up, it tells me the date is not set and just hitting the enter
    >>key no longer works. Any suggestions?

    > admin password that is set you're SOL. It's a MB replacement by
    > IBM to change it. If it's only a user password then get the
    > manuel from the Thinkpad site - it's not such an intuitive
    > process. Press and hold F1 and switch the laptop on, that *may*
    > get you into the BIOS after a few seconds.

    Maybe not.
    IBM laptops also can store the password on the hard drive.
    Removing the hard drive may allow him to get into the BIOS to set the
    time and date & such. If re-installing the drive brings the password
    prompt back, then either the drive has to be re-initialized
    (professional services needed) or purchace a new drive.

    Rich W.

  6. Re: T30 Bios

    On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 15:54:14 UTC, Rich Wonneberger
    wrote:

    > Simon Wright wrote:
    > > On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 21:55:12 UTC, "pirate"
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>I bought a used T30 thinkpad. It has a bios password that I dont know,
    > >>but I could hit the enter key to at least view the bios settings. I
    > >>took out the cmos battery hoping to kill the password. Now when it
    > >>powers up, it tells me the date is not set and just hitting the enter
    > >>key no longer works. Any suggestions?

    > > admin password that is set you're SOL. It's a MB replacement by
    > > IBM to change it. If it's only a user password then get the
    > > manuel from the Thinkpad site - it's not such an intuitive
    > > process. Press and hold F1 and switch the laptop on, that *may*
    > > get you into the BIOS after a few seconds.

    > Maybe not.
    > IBM laptops also can store the password on the hard drive.
    > Removing the hard drive may allow him to get into the BIOS to set the
    > time and date & such. If re-installing the drive brings the password
    > prompt back, then either the drive has to be re-initialized
    > (professional services needed) or purchace a new drive.

    Hi Rich,

    There are three passwords possible on IBM laptops: supervisor,
    startup and HDD. As you say, if it's an HDD password then
    removing the disk may work, at least to get in to set the time &
    date. If it's the supervisor password then definitely not; if the
    startup password . . . suck it and see! Worth a try anyway.

    Cheers,

    --
    Simon Wright
    diver 0 6 at gmx dot net