The Clueless Newbie strikes again ... - OS2

This is a discussion on The Clueless Newbie strikes again ... - OS2 ; Hi, Folks! Some time ago I got very useful hints from people here that got me started in networking my ECS_BOX with my XP_BOX. I was able to let the machines to see each other over a crossover cable and ...

  1. The Clueless Newbie strikes again ...

    Hi, Folks!

    Some time ago I got very useful hints from people here that got me
    started in networking my ECS_BOX with my XP_BOX. I was able to let the
    machines to see each other over a crossover cable and share files in
    both directions with NetBEUI and TCPBEUI enabled.

    Now I got a broadband connection from my local telco. They sent me a
    small thingy the size and shape of an hamburger (HUAWEI SmartAX ADSL
    modem, NO rj45 jack of any sort ) that plugged into a USB connector of
    my XP_BOX and a cd-rom that installed an ADSL dialer on the desktop. In
    a few minutes I was surfing the net 50 times faster than by dial-up,
    from the XP_BOX.

    But I wanted to surf with Firefox from the ECS_BOX and so I followed
    the advice of the helldesk guy of the telco that said that I should
    enable sharing of the ADSL connection checking the "Allow other network
    users ..." in the "Advanced" tab of the connection's properties.
    Windoze alerted me that if I enable sharing, the IP address of the NIC
    will be set to 192.168.0.1, but I went ahead anyway.

    And everything went down the sink: Now the machines can't see each
    other anymore, the REQUESTER service in ECS_BOX won't start anymore and
    of course, no surfing is going on from ECS. I changed the TCP/IP
    setting in the ECS_BOX from fixed IP to DHCP but it won't start neither
    on boot nor with DHCP Monitor, who responds "DDNS Host name: Not
    registered and "IP Address: Not Configured", even with the ADSL
    connection alive in XP_BOX.

    So I realized that I'm still a bleeding dumb newbie and I should ask
    for some very basic advice again.

    Thank You in advance !!!

  2. Re: The Clueless Newbie strikes again ...

    MARK44 wrote:
    > Now I got a broadband connection from my local telco. They sent me a
    > small thingy the size and shape of an hamburger (HUAWEI SmartAX ADSL
    > modem, NO rj45 jack of any sort ) that plugged into a USB connector of
    > my XP_BOX and a cd-rom that installed an ADSL dialer on the desktop. In
    > a few minutes I was surfing the net 50 times faster than by dial-up,
    > from the XP_BOX.

    My set up is rather different but perhaps you might find some help in
    it. My telco supplied me with a D-Link DSL-300G ADSL modem. It has a
    power connection, a rj11 (for the phone line) and a rj45. I bought a
    Lynksys BEFSR41 Router. At present I have my TPad R23 and a desktop
    connected (but I have had as many as 4 machines connected) to the
    Router. Both boxen have W2K and eCS-OS/2 and have no probllems talking
    to each other with either OS. It is verbotten to connect to the
    internet under 'doze in this house but one or both happily surf away
    using Mozilla under the good OS.

    Ted

+ Reply to Thread