Fat32 format: a DFsee question - OS2

This is a discussion on Fat32 format: a DFsee question - OS2 ; Sir: Here you can help me. I have Dfsee and f32blank. What command do I use in Dfsee to get the parameters needed by f32blank to create the file needed to write to the partition to cause it be formated? ...

  1. Fat32 format: a DFsee question

    Sir:

    Here you can help me. I have Dfsee and f32blank. What command do I use
    in Dfsee to get the parameters needed by f32blank to create the file
    needed to write to the partition to cause it be formated? Second what
    is that command to write that file?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  2. Re: Fat32 format: a DFsee question

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:26:27 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" wrote:
    Hi Bill,

    > Here you can help me. I have Dfsee and f32blank. What command do I use
    > in Dfsee to get the parameters needed by f32blank to create the file
    > needed to write to the partition to cause it be formated?

    Probably some of the numbers displayed when you open the partition,
    I guess it needs the starting sector and teh size in sectors ...

    >Second what is that command to write that file?

    Never really used F32BLANK, but AFAIK it created a RAW imagefile (.IMG)
    and you can write that to the partition using the 'RESTORE' command, or
    in the later menu-driven DFSee version using:

    Actions ->
    Restore/Compare imagefile(s) ->
    to a Partition

    Then, in the restore dialog, make sure you select the correct partition
    in the drop-down menu, and select the imagefile to be restored.

    However, if you are not in a terrible hurry, you may want to
    wait for DFSee 7.15 which should be released either today
    or tomorrow. It has FAT/FAT32 formatting in:

    Actions ->
    Format volume or partition ->
    with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem

    You can then fill in all sorts of fomatting options in a dialog ...

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  3. Re: Fat32 format: a DFsee question

    Sir:

    Jan van Wijk wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:26:27 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" wrote:
    > Hi Bill,
    >
    >> Here you can help me. I have Dfsee and f32blank. What command do I use
    >> in Dfsee to get the parameters needed by f32blank to create the file
    >> needed to write to the partition to cause it be formated?

    > Probably some of the numbers displayed when you open the partition,
    > I guess it needs the starting sector and teh size in sectors ...
    >
    >> Second what is that command to write that file?

    > Never really used F32BLANK, but AFAIK it created a RAW imagefile (.IMG)
    > and you can write that to the partition using the 'RESTORE' command, or
    > in the later menu-driven DFSee version using:
    >
    > Actions ->
    > Restore/Compare imagefile(s) ->
    > to a Partition
    >
    > Then, in the restore dialog, make sure you select the correct partition
    > in the drop-down menu, and select the imagefile to be restored.
    >

    > However, if you are not in a terrible hurry, you may want to
    > wait for DFSee 7.15 which should be released either today
    > or tomorrow. It has FAT/FAT32 formatting in:
    >
    > Actions ->
    > Format volume or partition ->
    > with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem
    >
    > You can then fill in all sorts of fomatting options in a dialog ...
    >
    > Regards, JvW

    Very Good. Will wait.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Fat32 format: a DFsee question

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:54:12 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" wrote:
    Hi Bill,

    > Very Good. Will wait.

    Just released it, let me know if it worked ;-)

    Select any size partition and then simply:

    Actions ->
    Format volume or partition ->
    with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  5. Re: Fat32 format: a DFsee question

    Sir:

    Jan van Wijk wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:54:12 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote: Hi Bill,
    >
    >> Very Good. Will wait.

    > Just released it, let me know if it worked ;-)
    >

    > Select any size partition and then simply:
    >
    > Actions -> Format volume or partition -> with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem

    Well done!

    For those who want to do this, I'll say how I did it, which is not the
    only way to do this or the best way. I created a 250 MiB partition
    using LVM, which I had done before this release (while testing the new
    LVM gui tool). I unzipped this newest release after removing the
    previous release. I copied my key to the OS/2 folder and ran DfsOS2.
    With the windows open and not giving a folder to save a backup copy of
    the current layout, I let it run to the end. I went to the menu Fdisk
    and select 'Change Partition Type' and selected the partition I had
    created and changed its type to 0c, that is fat32 beyond 1024 cylinder.
    Here I noted the number on the left side of the list as that number is
    used later. I next selected the Action menu and the item format a
    volume.* I then clicked upon the command line entry box at the bottom
    to give it focus. There I typed in the command 'part' and that number,
    which in my case was 16. This action select the partition. The screen
    scrolls some information about the partition. I then F10 to select the
    menu and did as Jan says above. You be presented with a menu to select
    the name of the partition and cluster size**, etc. I changed the name
    and selected fat32 and long format. You don't get a choice of target
    operating systems with Fat32, only choice is Win 9x. I created another
    Fat32 partition while writing this note to double check what I wrote.
    You can create a partition from the Fdisk menu.

    Suggestions for a future release, provide a way to select a partition
    from the format a partition menu.

    Note: The partition to be formatted Fat32 needs to be less than 2 GiB
    in size if you wish Win 95-98 to use the partition. I just wanted a
    partition formated Fat32 to keep the OS/2 IFS Fat32 driver loaded so I
    could test some USB flash disks.

    * If one selects a partition before changing to the 'action -> format a
    volume or partition,' the program hangs with the use F10 to return to
    the menus from the command line. Might be something to do with the mode
    menu changing to fat from Fdisk during the 'part 16' command execution?

    ** I assume that Dfsee selects the default cluster size which is optimal
    for the size of the partition.

    Happy New Year!
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: Fat32 format: a DFsee question

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 02:44:40 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" wrote:
    Hi Bill,

    > > Select any size partition and then simply:
    > >
    > > Actions -> Format volume or partition -> with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem
    > >

    > Well done!

    Thanks, it was about time I did this though :-)

    > For those who want to do this, I'll say how I did it, which is not the
    > only way to do this or the best way.

    Well, lets say it is more complex than needed :-)

    >I created a 250 MiB partition
    > using LVM, which I had done before this release (while testing the new
    > LVM gui tool). I unzipped this newest release after removing the
    > previous release. I copied my key to the OS/2 folder and ran DfsOS2.
    > With the windows open and not giving a folder to save a backup copy of
    > the current layout, I let it run to the end. I went to the menu Fdisk
    > and select 'Change Partition Type' and selected the partition I had
    > created and changed its type to 0c, that is fat32 beyond 1024 cylinder.

    OK, fine sofar ...

    > Here I noted the number on the left side of the list as that number is
    > used later.

    Not really, just keep using the menu-system :-)
    Mixing menu usage with commandline makes it more complex.

    >I next selected the Action menu and the item format a volume.*
    >I then clicked upon the command line entry box at the bottom
    > to give it focus. There I typed in the command 'part' and that number,
    > which in my case was 16. This action select the partition.

    File -> Open object to work with -> Partition -> ... select ...

    >The screen scrolls some information about the partition.
    >I then F10 to select the menu and did as Jan says above.

    Actions -> Format volume or partition -> with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem

    >You be presented with a menu to select
    > the name of the partition and cluster size**, etc. I changed the name
    > and selected fat32 and long format. You don't get a choice of target
    > operating systems with Fat32, only choice is Win 9x.

    Correct, since that is all I have found sofar :-)
    it is only relevant if you need to BOOT that operating system
    from this partition though ...

    >I created another
    > Fat32 partition while writing this note to double check what I wrote.
    > You can create a partition from the Fdisk menu.

    Of course ...

    > Suggestions for a future release, provide a way to select a partition
    > from the format a partition menu.

    I may do that, making it still easier to use, however, that would be
    a seperate selection then, there would need be two of them:

    Actions ->
    Format current object ->
    with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem

    Which would still be needed for things like formatting
    a diskette (which is not a partition :-)
    and

    Actions ->
    Format partition ->
    with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem ->
    ... select partition from list ...

    Which would be the "one action does all" for formatting a partition.

    > Note: The partition to be formatted Fat32 needs to be less than 2 GiB
    > in size if you wish Win 95-98 to use the partition.

    No, that is not true, what makes you believe that ?
    One of the main reasons to design FAT32 was allowing partitions
    larger than 2GiB in the first place ...

    DFSee IS more flexible is allowing format to FAT32 since Windows-9x
    and XP will only allow FAT16 if below 2 GiB I think, and XP will not
    allow a FAT32 larger than 32 GiB (when formatting, access is fine)

    With DFSee you could create a 10 MiB FAT32 if you wanted to ...

    >I just wanted a partition formated Fat32 to keep the OS/2 IFS Fat32
    >driver loaded so I could test some USB flash disks.

    OK

    > * If one selects a partition before changing to the 'action -> format a
    > volume or partition,' the program hangs with the use F10 to return to
    > the menus from the command line. Might be something to do with the mode
    > menu changing to fat from Fdisk during the 'part 16' command execution?

    Not sure what you mean by 'hang', but as long as you have no partition
    or volume selected, the actual menu-item "with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem"
    will be DISABLED (it is a black line to indicate that). So hitting on
    that does nothing, which you may have interpreted as it hanging.
    (maybe I should add a popup if you do that, saying it is disabled)

    > ** I assume that Dfsee selects the default cluster size which is optimal
    > for the size of the partition.

    Yes it does, it will be the minimum size for FAT12/FAT16
    and the size as used/advised bt Microsoft for FAT32.
    Whether that is the 'optimal' size, depends on the average size
    of the files you want to store there ...

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  7. Re: Fat32 format: a DFsee question

    Sir:

    Jan van Wijk wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 02:44:40 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" wrote:
    > Hi Bill,
    >
    >>> Select any size partition and then simply:
    >>>
    >>> Actions -> Format volume or partition -> with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem
    >>>

    >> Well done!

    > Thanks, it was about time I did this though :-)
    >
    >> For those who want to do this, I'll say how I did it, which is not the
    >> only way to do this or the best way.

    > Well, lets say it is more complex than needed :-)
    >

    >> I created a 250 MiB partition
    >> using LVM, which I had done before this release (while testing the new
    >> LVM gui tool). I unzipped this newest release after removing the
    >> previous release. I copied my key to the OS/2 folder and ran DfsOS2.
    >> With the windows open and not giving a folder to save a backup copy of
    >> the current layout, I let it run to the end. I went to the menu Fdisk
    >> and select 'Change Partition Type' and selected the partition I had
    >> created and changed its type to 0c, that is fat32 beyond 1024 cylinder.

    > OK, fine sofar ...
    >
    >> Here I noted the number on the left side of the list as that number is
    >> used later.

    > Not really, just keep using the menu-system :-)
    > Mixing menu usage with commandline makes it more complex.
    >
    >> I next selected the Action menu and the item format a volume.*
    >> I then clicked upon the command line entry box at the bottom
    >> to give it focus. There I typed in the command 'part' and that number,
    >> which in my case was 16. This action select the partition.

    > File -> Open object to work with -> Partition -> ... select ...

    OKay.
    >> The screen scrolls some information about the partition.
    >> I then F10 to select the menu and did as Jan says above.

    > Actions -> Format volume or partition -> with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem
    >
    >> You be presented with a menu to select
    >> the name of the partition and cluster size**, etc. I changed the name
    >> and selected fat32 and long format. You don't get a choice of target
    >> operating systems with Fat32, only choice is Win 9x.

    > Correct, since that is all I have found sofar :-)
    > it is only relevant if you need to BOOT that operating system
    > from this partition though ...
    >
    >> I created another
    >> Fat32 partition while writing this note to double check what I wrote.
    >> You can create a partition from the Fdisk menu.

    > Of course ...
    >
    >> Suggestions for a future release, provide a way to select a partition
    >> from the format a partition menu.

    > I may do that, making it still easier to use, however, that would be
    > a seperate selection then, there would need be two of them:
    >
    > Actions ->
    > Format current object ->
    > with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem
    >
    > Which would still be needed for things like formatting
    > a diskette (which is not a partition :-)
    > and
    >
    > Actions ->
    > Format partition ->
    > with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem ->
    > ... select partition from list ...
    >
    > Which would be the "one action does all" for formatting a partition.
    >
    >> Note: The partition to be formatted Fat32 needs to be less than 2 GiB
    >> in size if you wish Win 95-98 to use the partition.

    > No, that is not true, what makes you believe that ?

    Bad info? GiGo? I read somewhere that Win98SE added the ability to
    format partitions up to 4 GiB size, something about the cluster size and
    this carried over into Win ME. Don't know anything about NT and later.
    > One of the main reasons to design FAT32 was allowing partitions
    > larger than 2GiB in the first place ...
    >
    > DFSee IS more flexible is allowing format to FAT32 since Windows-9x
    > and XP will only allow FAT16 if below 2 GiB I think, and XP will not
    > allow a FAT32 larger than 32 GiB (when formatting, access is fine)
    >
    > With DFSee you could create a 10 MiB FAT32 if you wanted to ...

    Good. That maybe all I need.

    >> I just wanted a partition formated Fat32 to keep the OS/2 IFS Fat32
    >> driver loaded so I could test some USB flash disks.

    > OK
    >
    >> * If one selects a partition before changing to the 'action -> format a
    >> volume or partition,' the program hangs with the use F10 to return to
    >> the menus from the command line. Might be something to do with the mode
    >> menu changing to fat from Fdisk during the 'part 16' command execution?

    > Not sure what you mean by 'hang', but as long as you have no partition
    > or volume selected, the actual menu-item "with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem"
    > will be DISABLED (it is a black line to indicate that). So hitting on
    > that does nothing, which you may have interpreted as it hanging.
    > (maybe I should add a popup if you do that, saying it is disabled)

    What happens is all menus are grayed out and the only results is
    bringing up the general help menu, from pressing various key
    combinations. The Xit button works as does the other frame controls. I
    think I stepped in the place marked 'Here there be Dragons'.

    >> ** I assume that Dfsee selects the default cluster size which is optimal
    >> for the size of the partition.

    > Yes it does, it will be the minimum size for FAT12/FAT16
    > and the size as used/advised bt Microsoft for FAT32.
    > Whether that is the 'optimal' size, depends on the average size
    > of the files you want to store there ...

    OK
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: Fat32 format: a DFsee question

    Hi Bill,

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:58:47 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" wrote:

    > >> Note: The partition to be formatted Fat32 needs to be less than 2 GiB
    > >> in size if you wish Win 95-98 to use the partition.

    > > No, that is not true, what makes you believe that ?

    > Bad info? GiGo? I read somewhere that Win98SE added the ability to
    > format partitions up to 4 GiB size, something about the cluster size and
    > this carried over into Win ME.

    Ah, OK. I think I know where you got that.
    That was an enhancement to FAT16 (not FAT32) that allowed 64KiB clusters
    to be used, pushing the limit up to 4GiB from 2GiB.

    This was originally introduced with Windows-NT version 4 I think,
    and may have made it into 98SE and ME as well.

    Since it was never adopted by other operating systems it is not
    very portable, and not needed anymore if you can also use FAT32 ...

    > >> * If one selects a partition before changing to the 'action -> format a
    > >> volume or partition,' the program hangs with the use F10 to return to
    > >> the menus from the command line. Might be something to do with the mode
    > >> menu changing to fat from Fdisk during the 'part 16' command execution?

    > > Not sure what you mean by 'hang', but as long as you have no partition
    > > or volume selected, the actual menu-item "with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem"
    > > will be DISABLED (it is a black line to indicate that). So hitting on
    > > that does nothing, which you may have interpreted as it hanging.
    > > (maybe I should add a popup if you do that, saying it is disabled)
    > >

    > What happens is all menus are grayed out and the only results is
    > bringing up the general help menu, from pressing various key
    > combinations. The Xit button works as does the other frame controls.

    OK, that IS possible, I have seen it happen a few times as well
    when using some weird combination or order of keys when
    operating the menu and commandline.

    Unfortunately I have not found the exact cause yet ...
    It seems quite rare though ...

    >I think I stepped in the place marked 'Here there be Dragons'.

    :-)

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  9. Re: Fat32 format: a DFsee question

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:45:12 UTC, "Jan van Wijk"
    wrote:

    > This was originally introduced with Windows-NT version 4 I think,
    > and may have made it into 98SE and ME as well.

    Only NT based systems.

    By 98, they had FAT32 so didn't need it.