How is USBMON supposed to work? - OS2

This is a discussion on How is USBMON supposed to work? - OS2 ; I have these lines in my config.sys: BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$ BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /Floppies:0 /Removables:1 BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS USBEHCD.sys loads correctly. USBMON loads automatically from the Startup folder. However, when you look at it, it ...

  1. How is USBMON supposed to work?

    I have these lines in my config.sys:
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /Floppies:0 /Removables:1
    BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS

    USBEHCD.sys loads correctly. USBMON loads automatically from the
    Startup folder. However, when you look at it, it is blank. The
    USBMON.exe is placed in D:\OS2\BOOT and has a file size of 51233 kB.

    A memory stick attached before boot up comes up as drive M: The
    files on this drive are available. Drives K; L: appear in FM/2 but are
    not accessible.

    Of course I want to be able to hot disconnect or connect mass storage
    devices but there being no facility to "unmount" the device inhibits me
    from connecting a drive whose data I don't want to risk losing.

    When I tried connecting the stick (after the computer was started
    without it) it made no dong dong rising tone like on Doze or Linux.
    However the file list soon shows, with say Dir M: The strange thing is
    that after I disconnect the stick the list still shows whereas before it
    is connected the command says, "SYS 0015 The system cannot find the
    specified drive". If I try Dir K: (or L I get a "SYS0021 - The drive
    is not ready."

    The resource allocation list during boot up shows that USB 2.0
    controller uses irq 10 which happens to be the same as my Sound Blaster
    Live 5.1 add-in card. Is that significant?

    What is happening here? Is it safe to remove and reconnect MSD as will?

    --
    To reply by e-mail edit this address to the correct form: vbien at
    attglobal dot net

  2. Re: How is USBMON supposed to work?

    Sir:

    Victor Bien wrote:
    > I have these lines in my config.sys:
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /Floppies:0 /Removables:1
    > BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD
    > DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
    > DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS
    >
    > USBEHCD.sys loads correctly. USBMON loads automatically from the
    > Startup folder. However, when you look at it, it is blank. The
    > USBMON.exe is placed in D:\OS2\BOOT and has a file size of 51233 kB.
    >
    > A memory stick attached before boot up comes up as drive M: The
    > files on this drive are available. Drives K; L: appear in FM/2 but are
    > not accessible.
    >
    > Of course I want to be able to hot disconnect or connect mass storage
    > devices but there being no facility to "unmount" the device inhibits me
    > from connecting a drive whose data I don't want to risk losing.
    >
    > When I tried connecting the stick (after the computer was started
    > without it) it made no dong dong rising tone like on Doze or Linux.
    > However the file list soon shows, with say Dir M: The strange thing is
    > that after I disconnect the stick the list still shows whereas before it
    > is connected the command says, "SYS 0015 The system cannot find the
    > specified drive". If I try Dir K: (or L I get a "SYS0021 - The drive
    > is not ready."
    >
    > The resource allocation list during boot up shows that USB 2.0
    > controller uses irq 10 which happens to be the same as my Sound Blaster
    > Live 5.1 add-in card. Is that significant?
    >
    > What is happening here? Is it safe to remove and reconnect MSD as will?

    Use the REdiscover ("Refresh Removable Media") button in the drives
    object. That will cause the monitor to run. It normally runs about
    once every few minutes (It seems), and you may lose patience with it (I
    do). There is the eject command to allow one to unmount the media when
    you wish to remove it (rt. click for the menu for the drive object).
    The eject command will cause the EAs to be written out and many cameras
    balk in reading the disk thereafter. Google on discussion of this
    matter over the past two years. One work-around for this problem in the
    case of cameras where you don't want write to it, is to enable the write
    protect tab on the media before placing into the computer's card reader,
    and reverse your actions before placing it back into the camera. On
    cards that don't have a write protect tab, just remove it without the
    eject command. The system will bitch, but you can tell it to ignore the
    problem (Never do this on a media that you write upon regularly: lost
    data will result.). YOU do have more than one item listed on the USB
    NSD driver for removeables like this:
    'BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:5 /FLOPPIES:0'?

    The irq should not be a problem, if you are using a well written audio
    driver (but several are not well written). If you have a problem, use
    SpciIRQ (Hobbes) to change the irq assigned to USB, if they are using
    different irq lines, or else move the audio card to a different slot.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: How is USBMON supposed to work?

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:

    [my previous cut]

    > Use the REdiscover ("Refresh Removable Media") button in the drives
    > object. That will cause the monitor to run. It normally runs about

    In my drive object there is no REdiscover button?? Drilling down
    from OS/2 System object to the Drives object all drives including
    phantom ones are listed plus a Refresh Removable media object which runs
    LVM /rediscoverPRM. This doesn't seem to do anything. The stick was
    removed about 24h ago but when you open it, it still shows the filenames
    although one can't actually say copy a file to somewhere.

    > once every few minutes (It seems), and you may lose patience with it (I
    > do). There is the eject command to allow one to unmount the media when

    No it doesn't have an eject command either.

    > you wish to remove it (rt. click for the menu for the drive object). The
    > eject command will cause the EAs to be written out and many cameras balk
    > in reading the disk thereafter. Google on discussion of this matter
    > over the past two years. One work-around for this problem in the case

    Well actually I did read the discussions that I could find, the most
    relevant to me occurred about Jan 2005.

    What puzzles me is that the DVD reader and CD (burner) drives,
    respectively master and slave on the secondary IDE port, have been
    displaced by one drive letter. I.e. they use to be I: and J: drives but
    since I activated the USB stuff they became J: and K:!! Then there is a
    drive L: which "is not ready" followed by M: representing the USB stick.

    Again I don't feel the least bit in control. I mean I would have
    thought the DVD and CD would retain their I: and J: and the stick would
    take K:

    Later I'm going to deactivate all that USB stuff again and restart
    and see if the drive letters get back to where they were???

    > of cameras where you don't want write to it, is to enable the write
    > protect tab on the media before placing into the computer's card reader,
    > and reverse your actions before placing it back into the camera. On
    > cards that don't have a write protect tab, just remove it without the
    > eject command. The system will bitch, but you can tell it to ignore the
    > problem (Never do this on a media that you write upon regularly: lost
    > data will result.). YOU do have more than one item listed on the USB
    > NSD driver for removeables like this:
    > 'BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:5 /FLOPPIES:0'?
    >
    > The irq should not be a problem, if you are using a well written audio
    > driver (but several are not well written). If you have a problem, use
    > SpciIRQ (Hobbes) to change the irq assigned to USB, if they are using
    > different irq lines, or else move the audio card to a different slot.

    --
    To reply by e-mail edit this address to the correct form: vbien at
    attglobal dot net

  4. Re: How is USBMON supposed to work?

    Hi Victor

    Victor Bien wrote:
    > I have these lines in my config.sys:
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /Floppies:0 /Removables:1
    > BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD
    > DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
    > DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS

    How current is the usb support?

    Do you have an addin USB Host card to add extra ports?

    Do you use a usb "serial" port?

    How many Removable drives could you attempt to attach at the same time?

    The above questions are prompted by the above chunk of config.sys file.

    Suggest you get usbcfg.exe from hobbes and run the app to double check
    what Controllers you actually have available - reading through the Help
    file may be beneficial as well.

    If using current/recent USB drivers then change

    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS

    > USBEHCD.sys loads correctly. USBMON loads automatically from the
    > Startup folder. However, when you look at it, it is blank. The
    > USBMON.exe is placed in D:\OS2\BOOT and has a file size of 51233 kB.

    You have 2 USB Monitor applications that could be running at startup:-

    Printer Monitor: \os2\usbmon.exe Parameter : USBPRT aka USBPRT Auto
    Monitor - does not look like USB Printer support is installed so maybe
    it is not installed.

    Drives Monitor : \os2\boot\usbmon.exe aka Removable Device Monitor.
    The Drive Monitor uses an ini file rather than parameters.

    Neither application "does anything" as far as a user is concerned - they
    monitor USB connections and react accordingly (in theory).

    > A memory stick attached before boot up comes up as drive M:

    I read somewhere that External drive devices should not be attached
    before boot.

    The
    > files on this drive are available. Drives K; L: appear in FM/2 but are
    > not accessible.

    Anything in those drives? Presumably you have some sort of card reader
    there or is the memory stick a multi card type?

    Something that may have relevence:-

    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /Floppies:0 /Removables:1

    You have only told the system about 1 possible drive but above have
    tried to have 3 attached.

    > Of course I want to be able to hot disconnect or connect mass storage
    > devices but there being no facility to "unmount" the device inhibits me
    > from connecting a drive whose data I don't want to risk losing.

    Suggest a read of the USB Readme files to find out how things work.

    Basically though: you need to insert media in drive, attach to PC (after
    boot) and, If the USB Removable Device Monitor fails to work within a
    very short period of time and display the newly attached Drive in the
    Drives Folder, click the Refresh removable icon in the Drives Folder.

    You should then end up with an aceesible drive.

    To UnAttach: RMB and click Eject. Wait for a message or until any drive
    led stops flashing before removing the drive.

    Failure to observe the above could make the drive inaccessible.

    > When I tried connecting the stick (after the computer was started
    > without it) it made no dong dong rising tone like on Doze or Linux.

    Cannot comment on what other OS's do with the device.

    > However the file list soon shows, with say Dir M: The strange thing is
    > that after I disconnect the stick the list still shows whereas before it
    > is connected the command says, "SYS 0015 The system cannot find the
    > specified drive". If I try Dir K: (or L I get a "SYS0021 - The drive
    > is not ready."

    See the above bit about attaching/unattaching.

    > The resource allocation list during boot up shows that USB 2.0
    > controller uses irq 10 which happens to be the same as my Sound Blaster
    > Live 5.1 add-in card. Is that significant?

    Yes - shows they are sharing the same IRQ and if everything works they
    are sharing happily :-)

    > What is happening here? Is it safe to remove and reconnect MSD as will?

    When you have investigated your USB configuration - use the usbcfg
    application - and possibly made some changes then I think you will
    probably find everything works fine.

    Regards

    Pete

  5. Re: How is USBMON supposed to work?

    Victor Bien wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > What puzzles me is that the DVD reader and CD (burner) drives,
    > respectively master and slave on the secondary IDE port, have been
    > displaced by one drive letter. I.e. they use to be I: and J: drives but
    > since I activated the USB stuff they became J: and K:!! Then there is a
    > drive L: which "is not ready" followed by M: representing the USB stick.
    >
    > Again I don't feel the least bit in control. I mean I would have
    > thought the DVD and CD would retain their I: and J: and the stick would
    > take K:
    >
    > Later I'm going to deactivate all that USB stuff again and restart and
    > see if the drive letters get back to where they were???

    Well I did that and the drive letters came back to where they were!

    When I reactivated the USB stuff the phantom drives reappeared!
    However, this time when the stick was connected and the Refresh
    Removable media object was run the stick appears as M: When you right
    click on it, the Eject command now appears! After "ejecting" and
    running the Refresh Removable media object again M: promptly disappears
    - great correct behaviour. (It would be nice for the system to issue
    the rising and falling tones when devices are connected and
    disconnected. I think there is a privately developed driver by a Chris
    Wurth that does that but I haven't got onto it).

    I have noted the stuff about EAs upsetting cameras but this stick I'm
    talking about is a general purpose transfer medium and EAs should not be
    a problem.

    To keep this as simple as possible, so far I have only fiddled with
    _one_ USB removable device - to get the feel how OS/2 handles USB
    devices - learning to crawl before trying to walk!

    I need to note that OS/2 does not quite like this Gigabyte K8VM8000M
    mb. It has SATA connectors which can be deactivated. But when I do
    that, boot up hangs at the point when the JFS IFS attempts to load. So
    I have to leave it on. Perhaps OS/2 reads those ports as extra drives.
    The board designates IDE channels not only as the usual IDE0 and IDE1
    but also there is IDE2!! Perhaps if I get a SATA to IDE adapter and
    operate my primary booting HD via the SATA port and disable the primary
    (parallel) IDE port the thing will come up the way I (we) expect. Then
    again all that will be rather a waste of time because I don't like this
    Gigabyte mb and will chase up another one as soon as the shops reopen.

    --
    To reply by e-mail edit this address to the correct form: vbien at
    attglobal dot net

  6. Re: How is USBMON supposed to work?

    Sir:

    Victor Bien wrote:
    > Victor Bien wrote:
    >
    >> William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> What puzzles me is that the DVD reader and CD (burner) drives,
    >> respectively master and slave on the secondary IDE port, have been
    >> displaced by one drive letter. I.e. they use to be I: and J: drives
    >> but since I activated the USB stuff they became J: and K:!! Then
    >> there is a drive L: which "is not ready" followed by M: representing
    >> the USB stick.
    >>
    >> Again I don't feel the least bit in control. I mean I would have
    >> thought the DVD and CD would retain their I: and J: and the stick
    >> would take K:
    >>
    >> Later I'm going to deactivate all that USB stuff again and restart
    >> and see if the drive letters get back to where they were???
    >>

    > Well I did that and the drive letters came back to where they were!
    >
    > When I reactivated the USB stuff the phantom drives reappeared!
    > However, this time when the stick was connected and the Refresh
    > Removable media object was run the stick appears as M: When you right
    > click on it, the Eject command now appears! After "ejecting" and
    > running the Refresh Removable media object again M: promptly disappears
    > - great correct behaviour. (It would be nice for the system to issue
    > the rising and falling tones when devices are connected and
    > disconnected. I think there is a privately developed driver by a Chris
    > Wurth that does that but I haven't got onto it).

    Put RESERVEDRIVELETTER=R into your config.sys to permanently put the CD
    & DVD drives as Drives S: & T: That will keep them from jumping around
    as you add and remove removable drives.
    > I have noted the stuff about EAs upsetting cameras but this stick I'm
    > talking about is a general purpose transfer medium and EAs should not be
    > a problem.
    >
    > To keep this as simple as possible, so far I have only fiddled with
    > _one_ USB removable device - to get the feel how OS/2 handles USB
    > devices - learning to crawl before trying to walk!
    >
    > I need to note that OS/2 does not quite like this Gigabyte K8VM8000M
    > mb. It has SATA connectors which can be deactivated. But when I do
    > that, boot up hangs at the point when the JFS IFS attempts to load. So
    > I have to leave it on. Perhaps OS/2 reads those ports as extra drives.
    > The board designates IDE channels not only as the usual IDE0 and IDE1
    > but also there is IDE2!! Perhaps if I get a SATA to IDE adapter and
    > operate my primary booting HD via the SATA port and disable the primary
    > (parallel) IDE port the thing will come up the way I (we) expect. Then
    > again all that will be rather a waste of time because I don't like this
    > Gigabyte mb and will chase up another one as soon as the shops reopen.

    The BIOS has switches to do this. I think you are using Award BIOS, in
    which case the Delete key will put your machine into the BIOS setup
    program. Do that while the BIOS screen is showing before it even thinks
    about booting OS/2.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: How is USBMON supposed to work?

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Put RESERVEDRIVELETTER=R into your config.sys to permanently put the CD
    > & DVD drives as Drives S: & T: That will keep them from jumping around
    > as you add and remove removable drives.

    Hey that's a good idea! I've forgotten about using that facility.

    >> I have noted the stuff about EAs upsetting cameras but this stick
    >> I'm talking about is a general purpose transfer medium and EAs should
    >> not be a problem.
    >>
    >> To keep this as simple as possible, so far I have only fiddled with
    >> _one_ USB removable device - to get the feel how OS/2 handles USB
    >> devices - learning to crawl before trying to walk!
    >>
    >> I need to note that OS/2 does not quite like this Gigabyte K8VM8000M
    >> mb. It has SATA connectors which can be deactivated. But when I do
    >> that, boot up hangs at the point when the JFS IFS attempts to load.
    >> So I have to leave it on. Perhaps OS/2 reads those ports as extra
    >> drives. The board designates IDE channels not only as the usual IDE0
    >> and IDE1 but also there is IDE2!! Perhaps if I get a SATA to IDE
    >> adapter and operate my primary booting HD via the SATA port and
    >> disable the primary (parallel) IDE port the thing will come up the way
    >> I (we) expect. Then again all that will be rather a waste of time
    >> because I don't like this Gigabyte mb and will chase up another one as
    >> soon as the shops reopen.
    >>

    > The BIOS has switches to do this. I think you are using Award BIOS, in
    > which case the Delete key will put your machine into the BIOS setup
    > program. Do that while the BIOS screen is showing before it even thinks
    > about booting OS/2.

    Oh yes of course and yes it is an Award BIOS but I'd have to study
    the settings more closely to switch off "IDE2" or whatever if at all
    possible but not in a way that cruels JFS IFS, but then the board may
    just have its limitations which is what I suspect. That's why I don't
    like it.

    --
    To reply by e-mail edit this address to the correct form: vbien at
    attglobal dot net

+ Reply to Thread