Installation Woes - OS2

This is a discussion on Installation Woes - OS2 ; When I did the IDE-only configuration, I had the AMD 3200 processor ( it is not a 64 bit processor but is a 3200+ XP socket A 32-bit processor ) in the system. The correct speed for this processor is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    When I did the IDE-only configuration, I had the AMD 3200 processor (
    it is not a 64 bit processor but is a 3200+ XP socket A 32-bit
    processor ) in the system. The correct speed for this processor is
    2200 mHz and for the 2800 XP that I tried earlier, the correct full
    speed is 2083 mHz.

    My system is currently not stable with either processor operating at
    its full rated speed.

    My system is currently stable as I am operating with the 3200 chip at
    1100 mHz. I'll continue to operate this way until I replace the MB.

    I do not know why there was a BIOS choice of 2500 mHz with the 2800
    chip. By the way, there also is a manual speed choice, but it is
    given in terms of a multiplier and I did not bother with it.

    Nate Liskov

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.ne.client2.attbi.com
    or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov

  2. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:14:21 UTC, "Nathan Liskov"
    wrote:

    > I am not sure whether the 50 pin and 68 pin busses are isolated or
    > not. In my old machine, they were not (an adaptec controller)

    Have you repartitoned and reformatted the harddisks?

    SCSI controllers are always incompatible together between manufactors.
    Changing the controller from one manufacturer to another without low
    level format of the disks can result in anything bad as each
    controller manufacur uses its own low level format.

    and my
    > active terminator, I think took this into accound. In any case on
    > that system I used only the 68 pin bus and one 68-pin cable with
    > 68-to-50 pin adapters for each 50 pin device.
    >
    > At the present moment, I can operate with my old (3200 Barton)
    > processor only at about 1500 MHz and with the new processor (2800
    > Barton) at about 2083 MHz, when the machine boots correctly (not every
    > time).
    >
    > To confirm that SCSI cabling is the souce of my problems, I will do
    > the following ( while waiting for the new cable and possibly the new
    > controller):
    >
    > 1. Remove the SCSI controller board so the system has no SCSI
    > devices connected.
    >
    > 2. Install OS/2 on the first IDE drive (which will then be seen as
    > drive C) or if I have to (I could not get OS2CDROM.DMD to load
    > previously) install windows XP.

    Put the CD on the second IDE controller as master, not client if there
    is no other master. You'll have lots of trouble if you tries
    - a device as slave when there is no master active
    - running the CD as slave on the primary controller
    No, not really trouble but loose of speed on the HD
    - running the CD as master and a hard disk as slave

    You'll have trouble anyway when you have different RAM modules. There
    is no problem to run multiple modules from the same manufactor with
    identical size and specifications.

    > 3. Test that the system is stable at the full processor speed.

    Reset the BIOS to its defaults. Don't try any overclocking until you
    knows exactly that anything works fine.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  3. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:07:14 -0600, Nathan Liskov wrote:

    >When I did the IDE-only configuration, I had the AMD 3200 processor (
    >it is not a 64 bit processor but is a 3200+ XP socket A 32-bit
    >processor ) in the system. The correct speed for this processor is
    >2200 mHz and for the 2800 XP that I tried earlier, the correct full
    >speed is 2083 mHz.

    I'll get my coat :-)
    It never even occurred to me how you could put a 64 in an XP socket...

    >My system is currently not stable with either processor operating at
    >its full rated speed.
    >
    >My system is currently stable as I am operating with the 3200 chip at
    >1100 mHz. I'll continue to operate this way until I replace the MB.

    It does sound as if it's the motherboard. If you are a wizz with a
    soldering iron changing the onboard capacitors may help.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  4. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    "Trevor Hemsley" wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:20:16 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Nathan Liskov"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > I do not have a temp monitor, however I have a Zalman fan which is
    > > supposedly the best you can get.

    > You could try hobbes for pmp2l97 or something equivalent.

    My BIOS has a hardware monitor that reports 30 degrees C for the MB
    and 31 degrees C for the CPU while I am operating at 1100 mHz.

    I tried p2l97 and tx97 from Hobbes. tx97 reported 37C for the CPU and
    both reported 186C for the MB. Clearly 186C is incorrect as I do not
    smell smoke.

    Nate Liskov

    --
    Message sent VIA Followup and E-Mail --

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.ne.client2.attbi.com
    or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov

  5. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    "Herbert Rosenau" wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:14:21 UTC, "Nathan Liskov"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I am not sure whether the 50 pin and 68 pin busses are isolated or
    > > not. In my old machine, they were not (an adaptec controller)

    > Have you repartitoned and reformatted the harddisks?
    >
    > SCSI controllers are always incompatible together between manufactors.
    > Changing the controller from one manufacturer to another without low
    > level format of the disks can result in anything bad as each
    > controller manufacur uses its own low level format.

    I believe I did as I kept my old system together when I built the
    current system. Also, SCSI drive 1 is new and I just formatted and
    partitioned that one.

    > and my
    > > active terminator, I think took this into accound. In any case on
    > > that system I used only the 68 pin bus and one 68-pin cable with
    > > 68-to-50 pin adapters for each 50 pin device.
    > >
    > > At the present moment, I can operate with my old (3200 Barton)
    > > processor only at about 1500 MHz and with the new processor (2800
    > > Barton) at about 2083 MHz, when the machine boots correctly (not every
    > > time).
    > >
    > > To confirm that SCSI cabling is the souce of my problems, I will do
    > > the following ( while waiting for the new cable and possibly the new
    > > controller):
    > >
    > > 1. Remove the SCSI controller board so the system has no SCSI
    > > devices connected.
    > >
    > > 2. Install OS/2 on the first IDE drive (which will then be seen as
    > > drive C) or if I have to (I could not get OS2CDROM.DMD to load
    > > previously) install windows XP.

    > Put the CD on the second IDE controller as master, not client if there
    > is no other master. You'll have lots of trouble if you tries
    > - a device as slave when there is no master active
    > - running the CD as slave on the primary controller
    > No, not really trouble but loose of speed on the HD
    > - running the CD as master and a hard disk as slave

    That is how it is configured. Also the IDE drives are configured in
    the factory default position (CS jumper I think) with the BIOS set up
    for Auto detection for the IDE hard drives.

    > You'll have trouble anyway when you have different RAM modules. There
    > is no problem to run multiple modules from the same manufactor with
    > identical size and specifications.

    I have two identical 500 Mb memory chips and am not overclocking.

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.ne.client2.attbi.com
    or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov

  6. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:07:51 UTC, "Nathan Liskov"
    wrote:

    > > Put the CD on the second IDE controller as master, not client if there
    > > is no other master. You'll have lots of trouble if you tries
    > > - a device as slave when there is no master active
    > > - running the CD as slave on the primary controller
    > > No, not really trouble but loose of speed on the HD
    > > - running the CD as master and a hard disk as slave

    > That is how it is configured. Also the IDE drives are configured in
    > the factory default position (CS jumper I think) with the BIOS set up
    > for Auto detection for the IDE hard drives.

    I got problems to boot up and partitoning by that and the system as
    whole was really instable includiong frozen system. Setting
    master/slave explicite by set/unset the master switch on the HD and
    CD/DVD removed any problem. I don't know why CS would not do what it
    should but removing it and going back to the classic way had resolved
    the problems.

    > > You'll have trouble anyway when you have different RAM modules. There
    > > is no problem to run multiple modules from the same manufactor with
    > > identical size and specifications.

    > I have two identical 500 Mb memory chips and am not overclocking.

    So memory should no problem. But as above - set master/client instead
    of CS on the disks and CD/DVD.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  7. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    Sir:

    Rodney Pont wrote:

    > I'll get my coat :-)
    > It never even occurred to me how you could put a 64 in an XP socket...

    Look at for any cpu that fits a 754 Pin
    socket. Many of the Athlon64 do, as do the Sempr0n chips, and the
    venerable AthlonXP. Hint, if it does not say Athlon64 939, then it is a
    754 socket chip. The main disadvantage with these main boards, is the
    fact that memory bus is only 64 bit wide, whereas the 939 socket main
    boards are 128 bit wide. Big difference if you remember that was the
    princple advantage of the Pentium over the 486, the memory bus being
    twice as wide. Ditto for the 386 over the 386Sx/286, the 8086 over
    8088, etc.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    I tried ECS 1.2R on my existing system and am now completely hosed - I
    cannot even boot with a DOS floppy.

    I bought ECS and thought I'd install it on my present system in one of
    my 3 operating partitions (on my number 1 SCSI drive) and then have the
    motherboard replaced. I thought this would give me a working OS/2
    partition that the new board/processor would would with right away.

    I downloaded ECS and made the installation CD and changed the BIOS to
    boot off my IDE CD.

    When I got to the menu for selecting an installation volume, I found
    that ECS had labeled the IDE volumes first and then the SCSI volumes.
    It would not accept by SCSI operating volume as installable nor would it
    recognize the boot volume on the SCSI drive.

    I tried again, this time selecting the advanced installation menu choice
    (hoping for better options) but got the same results on the installation
    volume screen.

    Then I shut down and removed all SCSI hard drives from the system,
    hoping to have success with SCSI drives only.

    After doing so I cannot boot to anything (floppy, cd, scsi). The
    machine hangs after giving the list of PCI or it might try to read a
    device and then gives a hanging cursor. Of course, I changed the BIOS
    boot options appropriately for each different boot device.

    Any suggestions?

    Nate Liskov

    Nathan Liskov wrote:
    > A friend of mine just bought ECS and told me that the manual claims
    > that ECS 1.2R is the only os/2 based system that will install on
    > Athlon 64 CPU based boards. If I have to upgrade my MB, I will
    > definitely give that a try.
    >
    > Nate Liskov
    >
    > "Lorne Sunley" wrote:

    >>> There is a recent thread on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 with success using ECS
    >>> 1.2 with SMP, but I am not using ECS.

    >> I have no SCSI equipment on the X2 box so I cannot vouch for moding
    >> over a SCSI installation.

  9. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    Sir:

    Nathan Liskov wrote:
    > I tried ECS 1.2R on my existing system and am now completely hosed - I
    > cannot even boot with a DOS floppy.
    >
    > I bought ECS and thought I'd install it on my present system in one of
    > my 3 operating partitions (on my number 1 SCSI drive) and then have the
    > motherboard replaced. I thought this would give me a working OS/2
    > partition that the new board/processor would would with right away.
    >
    > I downloaded ECS and made the installation CD and changed the BIOS to
    > boot off my IDE CD.
    >
    > When I got to the menu for selecting an installation volume, I found
    > that ECS had labeled the IDE volumes first and then the SCSI volumes.
    > It would not accept by SCSI operating volume as installable nor would it
    > recognize the boot volume on the SCSI drive.
    >
    > I tried again, this time selecting the advanced installation menu choice
    > (hoping for better options) but got the same results on the installation
    > volume screen.
    >
    > Then I shut down and removed all SCSI hard drives from the system,
    > hoping to have success with SCSI drives only.
    >
    > After doing so I cannot boot to anything (floppy, cd, scsi). The
    > machine hangs after giving the list of PCI or it might try to read a
    > device and then gives a hanging cursor. Of course, I changed the BIOS
    > boot options appropriately for each different boot device.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Do you remember how to make boot floppies, like it was done for Warp 4?
    That is what you need to do. eCS assumes that if it finds IDE drives
    that you want to boot from them because it places the IDE driver before
    the SCSI drivers. So you need to edit the config.sys on the floppy to
    put the SCSI driver before the IDE driver (move the IDE driver,
    Danis506.add, to the bottom). Set BIOS to boot the floppy first. Now
    start the install again.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  10. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:42:38 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Nathan Liskov
    wrote:

    > After doing so I cannot boot to anything (floppy, cd, scsi). The
    > machine hangs after giving the list of PCI or it might try to read a
    > device and then gives a hanging cursor. Of course, I changed the BIOS
    > boot options appropriately for each different boot device.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    There's usually a reset configuration data option in the BIOS setup and this is
    the sort of situation where that might be useful. Otherwise I'd wait until
    you're sure of your hardware.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  11. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:31:53 -0600, William L. Hartzell
    wrote:
    >> I tried ECS 1.2R on my existing system and am now completely hosed - I
    >> cannot even boot with a DOS floppy.
    >>
    >> I downloaded ECS and made the installation CD and changed the BIOS to
    >> boot off my IDE CD.
    >>
    >> When I got to the menu for selecting an installation volume, I found
    >> that ECS had labeled the IDE volumes first and then the SCSI volumes.
    >> It would not accept by SCSI operating volume as installable nor would it
    >> recognize the boot volume on the SCSI drive.

    This is determined by the configuration in the boot options menu. If you
    changed the storage driver section to load the SCSI driver first, I think
    the SCSI drives would then appear first.

    >> After doing so I cannot boot to anything (floppy, cd, scsi). The
    >> machine hangs after giving the list of PCI or it might try to read a
    >> device and then gives a hanging cursor. Of course, I changed the BIOS
    >> boot options appropriately for each different boot device.

    Sounds like your BIOS settings got hosed. I suggest you restore them to
    factory defaults and start over.

    >> Any suggestions?

    > Do you remember how to make boot floppies, like it was done for Warp 4?
    > That is what you need to do.

    No, it isn't. It should certainly not be necessary.

    > eCS assumes that if it finds IDE drives
    > that you want to boot from them because it places the IDE driver before
    > the SCSI drivers.

    It's easy to change the order in the boot options menu.

    > So you need to edit the config.sys on the floppy to
    > put the SCSI driver before the IDE driver (move the IDE driver,
    > Danis506.add, to the bottom). Set BIOS to boot the floppy first. Now
    > start the install again.

    Don't. Just change the boot options. If need be, you can select to edit
    CONFIG.SYS before booting. No floppies required.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  12. Re: Installation Woes - Update - AMD 64 MB Recommendation??

    Its all back to normal.

    My board has some pins for resetting the BIOS - but this did not help.
    It only set the BIOS to default values.

    By experimentation, I found that only by removing both SCSI hard drives
    can I boot via a floppy.

    Then I found that with SCSI bus 2 on the controller, booting from SCSI
    worked. Finally I went back to SCSI bus 1 and the system is back to
    where it was. Perhaps it was all due to bad SCSI connections, but it is
    curious that it all occurred just as I was trying the ECS installation.

    Now I'll try the ECS installation again, this time with boot floppies
    configured for SCSI.

    Nate Liskov

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:42:38 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Nathan Liskov
    > wrote:
    >
    >> After doing so I cannot boot to anything (floppy, cd, scsi). The
    >> machine hangs after giving the list of PCI or it might try to read a
    >> device and then gives a hanging cursor. Of course, I changed the BIOS
    >> boot options appropriately for each different boot device.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > There's usually a reset configuration data option in the BIOS setup and this is
    > the sort of situation where that might be useful. Otherwise I'd wait until
    > you're sure of your hardware.

  13. Re: Installation Woes - Update - ECS installation

    Bill - thanks for your input.

    First I tried to get the volumes and drive letters in regular OS/2
    and ECS to agree. I used LVMGUI to make sure that all hard disk
    partitions were "compatibility volumes" whose assigned letters
    matched those I see in regular OS/2.

    This made no differnce in trying to install ECS (from the CD
    directly) as the IDE and SATA drives appear first and the
    installation program refuses to allow me to set any of my bootable
    SCSI
    partitions as installable, nor does in recognize the boot partition
    on the SCSI hard drive.

    By the way, the ECS installation does recognize and read my SCSI
    drive partitions. I was able to enter my Username and Registration
    code by importing that data from a file that was on a SCSI partition.

    ECS allows one to boot from floppies or boot from CD and in either
    case reads a "update" floppy on which you can put additional drivers
    and an alterrnate CONFIG.SYS. In neither case have I been successful
    as I get the dreaded "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or
    diskette..." message.

    My alternate config.sys (latest try) is as follows:

    device=tmscsiw.add
    buffers=32
    iopl=yes
    memman=swap,delayswap
    protshell=sysinst1.exe
    set os2_shell=sysinst2.exe
    diskcache=D2,LW
    protectonly=yes
    libpath=.;\;\os2\dll;\os2\install;
    rem ifs=jfs.ifs
    ifs=hpfs.ifs /c:64
    pauseonerror=no
    codepage=850
    devinfo=kbd,us,keyboard.dcp
    devinfo=scr,ega,vtbl850.dcp
    device=\dos.sys
    device=\mouse.sys
    set path=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    set dpath=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    set keys=on
    basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    basedev=ibm1s506.add
    rem basedev=ibm2flpy.add
    basedev=ibm2scsi.add
    rem basedev=ipsraid.add
    rem basedev=ibmint13.i13
    basedev=os2dasd.dmd
    basedev=os2lvm.dmd
    rem device=\testcfg.sys
    rem basedev=aic7770.add
    rem basedev=aic7870.add
    rem basedev=aic78u2.add
    rem basedev=aicu160.add
    rem basedev=dpt20xx.add
    rem basedev=ql10os2.add
    basedev=ibmidecd.flt
    basedev=ibmatapi.flt
    rem basedev=sym8xx.add
    rem basedev=sym_hi.add
    EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE
    rem basedev=xdfloppy.flt

    TMSCSI.ADD is the driver for my SCSI controller. IBMINT13.I13 balks
    at a hard drive larger than 8 gb and the other drivers REM'd out are
    ones I thought I did not need. I also tried with the DANI drivers vs
    the IBM counterparts (dani506.add, daniatap.flt) and tried os2scsi vs
    ibm2scsi. All tries ended in the failue to operate hard drive
    message.

    I may try again to remove all IDE hard drrives prior to an ECS
    installation attempt, but otherwise I am beginning to run short of
    ideas.

    Thanks

    Nate Liskov

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.ne.client2.attbi.com
    or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov

  14. Re: Installation Woes - Update - ECS installation

    I have gotten past this stumbling point, thanks to Bill's suggestion.

    In the "advanced" option, one can choose to edit config.sys. I did
    this, moving the SCSI device driver (sym_hi.add) before the ATAPI device
    driver (daniatap.add).

    This solved the partition order problem and I could choose one of my
    existing bootable partitions on the SCSI drive to migrate to ECS. This
    resulted in a successful basic installation of ECS.

    By the way, I have replaced my controller with the Tekram DC-390UW. The
    SCSI driver SYM_HI.ADD which comes with ECS (and regular OS/2) works
    with the new controller. The new controller came with a nice LVM cable
    and termination. With the new controller, the data transfers arer a lot
    faster (80 mbps with the old scsi drive and 160 mbps with the new one).

    After I get the new installation up to snuff, I'll get the new
    MB/processor installed. Stay tuned.

    Nate Liskov

    Nathan Liskov wrote:
    > Bill - thanks for your input.
    >

    > ECS allows one to boot from floppies or boot from CD and in either
    > case reads a "update" floppy on which you can put additional drivers
    > and an alterrnate CONFIG.SYS. In neither case have I been successful
    > as I get the dreaded "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or
    > diskette..." message.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2