OS/2 Fdisk Set installable?? - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 Fdisk Set installable?? - OS2 ; I wish to install OS/2 Warp on a 120 GB hard disk. To that effect, I created a 1 GB logical unit below the 8 GB frontier. I installed PC-DOS, Windows 2000, Fedora and XOSL as a Boot Manager (it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

  1. OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    I wish to install OS/2 Warp on a 120 GB hard disk. To that effect, I
    created a 1 GB logical unit below the 8 GB frontier.

    I installed PC-DOS, Windows 2000, Fedora and XOSL as a Boot Manager
    (it can boot OSes beyond the 8 GB frontier).

    I selected the Advanced Install and I was displayed the FDISK screen.
    The ®Set installable¯ was greyed; so I was unable to go further... :-(

    Does anyone know what ®magic incantations¯ FDISK writes on the hard
    disk when ®Set installable¯ is selected? Where are they written.
    With this knowledge, I could write it, and, hopefully, go on with the
    install.

    Thank you very much in advance.
    --
    Jean Castonguay
    lectrocommande Pascal


  2. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:51:54 -0000, Jean Castonguay wrote:

    >Does anyone know what ®magic incantations¯ FDISK writes on the hard
    >disk when ®Set installable¯ is selected? Where are they written.
    >With this knowledge, I could write it, and, hopefully, go on with the
    >install.


    Usual this means that FDISK has detected a problem with booting from
    the partition, and therefor will not allow you to "Set installable" to
    that partition. It would be nice though if the program would let the
    user know what the problem is so it could be corrected.



    Doug Kneupper



  3. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:01:53 -0600 (CST), Doug Kneupper wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:51:54 -0000, Jean Castonguay wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know what ®magic incantations¯ FDISK writes on the hard
    >>disk when ®Set installable¯ is selected? Where are they written.
    >>With this knowledge, I could write it, and, hopefully, go on with the
    >>install.

    >
    > Usual this means that FDISK has detected a problem with booting from
    > the partition, and therefor will not allow you to "Set installable" to
    > that partition. It would be nice though if the program would let the
    > user know what the problem is so it could be corrected.


    Cylinder boundary'ness comes to mind.

    Jonesy

  4. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    Sir:

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:01:53 -0600 (CST), Doug Kneupper wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:51:54 -0000, Jean Castonguay wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know what ®magic incantations¯ FDISK writes on the hard
    >>>disk when ®Set installable¯ is selected? Where are they written.
    >>>With this knowledge, I could write it, and, hopefully, go on with the
    >>>install.

    >>
    >>Usual this means that FDISK has detected a problem with booting from
    >>the partition, and therefor will not allow you to "Set installable" to
    >>that partition. It would be nice though if the program would let the
    >>user know what the problem is so it could be corrected.

    >
    >
    > Cylinder boundary'ness comes to mind.
    >


    There is the magic X13 mark that is written to the MBR sector that is
    read by OS/2 before it will boot beyond 1024 cylinder limit. No magic
    mark, no boot or install. Airboot will write that mark as will LVM or
    Fdisk from OS/2 fp 13-15.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    Jean Castonguay wrote:

    > Does anyone know what ®magic incantations¯ FDISK writes on the hard
    > disk when ®Set installable¯ is selected? Where are they written.


    This is an byte in the LVM information sector. The information
    'we can boot >=cylinder 1024/ 8G' is another important thing,
    you need the IBM MBR and bootsecor code for that. use

    LVM /NewMbr:1

    to install the required MBR code.


    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  6. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:51:54 -0000, Jean Castonguay wrote:
    > I installed PC-DOS, Windows 2000, Fedora and XOSL as a Boot Manager
    > (it can boot OSes beyond the 8 GB frontier).
    >
    > I selected the Advanced Install and I was displayed the FDISK screen.
    > The ®Set installable¯ was greyed; so I was unable to go further... :-(


    I bet you allowed Linux to write to the partition tables, didn't you...

    Most Linux partitioning tools do Bad Things to the partition table, and
    OS/2 will refuse to touch them from that point onwards.

    There are three common solutions to this problem:

    1. Delete every partition on the disk and try again, but this time ONLY
    use OS/2 FDISK to create all the partitions.

    2. Use the version of FDISK.COM that came with OS/2 2.11, because it
    didn't perform the validity checking that later FDISKs use.

    3. Run DFSEE and use it to 'fix' the CHS values in the partition table
    so that OS/2 stops barfing on them.


    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  7. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    wouldn't fdisk /MBR help here, or better still lvm /NEWMBR

    adrian

    Adrian
    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:51:54 -0000, Jean Castonguay wrote:
    >
    >>I installed PC-DOS, Windows 2000, Fedora and XOSL as a Boot Manager
    >>(it can boot OSes beyond the 8 GB frontier).
    >>
    >>I selected the Advanced Install and I was displayed the FDISK screen.
    >>The ®Set installable¯ was greyed; so I was unable to go further... :-(

    >
    >
    > I bet you allowed Linux to write to the partition tables, didn't you...
    >
    > Most Linux partitioning tools do Bad Things to the partition table, and
    > OS/2 will refuse to touch them from that point onwards.
    >
    > There are three common solutions to this problem:
    >
    > 1. Delete every partition on the disk and try again, but this time ONLY
    > use OS/2 FDISK to create all the partitions.
    >
    > 2. Use the version of FDISK.COM that came with OS/2 2.11, because it
    > didn't perform the validity checking that later FDISKs use.
    >
    > 3. Run DFSEE and use it to 'fix' the CHS values in the partition table
    > so that OS/2 stops barfing on them.
    >
    >


  8. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:15:58 UTC, adrian suri top
    posted:

    > Alex Taylor wrote:
    > > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:51:54 -0000, Jean Castonguay wrote:
    > >
    > >>I installed PC-DOS, Windows 2000, Fedora and XOSL as a Boot Manager
    > >>(it can boot OSes beyond the 8 GB frontier).
    > >>
    > >>I selected the Advanced Install and I was displayed the FDISK screen.
    > >>The Set installable was greyed; so I was unable to go further... :-(


    > wouldn't fdisk /MBR help here, or better still lvm /NEWMBR


    These commands merely update the boot code; they leave the partition
    table alone.

  9. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:51:54 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Jean Castonguay"
    wrote:

    > I wish to install OS/2 Warp on a 120 GB hard disk. To that effect, I
    > created a 1 GB logical unit below the 8 GB frontier.
    >
    > I installed PC-DOS, Windows 2000, Fedora and XOSL as a Boot Manager
    > (it can boot OSes beyond the 8 GB frontier).
    >
    > I selected the Advanced Install and I was displayed the FDISK screen.
    > The «Set installable» was greyed; so I was unable to go further... :-(
    >
    > Does anyone know what «magic incantations» FDISK writes on the hard
    > disk when «Set installable» is selected? Where are they written.
    > With this knowledge, I could write it, and, hopefully, go on with the
    > install.


    In your case I suspect that you've used up all the available partition table
    entries - but a posting of the output of, for example, fdisk /query (or lvm
    /query if it's an LVM enabled OS/2 you can boot from diskette) might help to
    diagnose the problem. If your 1GB drive is a logical drive in an extended
    partition then OS/2 can *only* be installed there if you also install OS/2's
    Boot Manager in a primary partition. There's no other way to do it. Once you
    have OS/2 installed then you can delete its Boot Manager and use the one of your
    choice - but to get OS/2 installed anywhere other than a drive C: you must use
    its Boot Manager.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  10. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    Just a thought,

    I have a feeling this happened to me once, I ended up deleting the
    partition and then recreating it, then making it installable, if all
    that work save and exit, contiue with your installation, and I would
    recomend a long hpfs format

    no take two, delete the partion, install the boot manager, then the a
    partition for for os/2, now see if it is installable, this could be the
    problem, unless OS/2 is on a primary partition c: it expects a boot
    manager, just some thoughts, be carefull!

    regards

    Adrian

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:51:54 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Jean Castonguay"
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I wish to install OS/2 Warp on a 120 GB hard disk. To that effect, I
    >>created a 1 GB logical unit below the 8 GB frontier.
    >>
    >>I installed PC-DOS, Windows 2000, Fedora and XOSL as a Boot Manager
    >>(it can boot OSes beyond the 8 GB frontier).
    >>
    >>I selected the Advanced Install and I was displayed the FDISK screen.
    >>The «Set installable» was greyed; so I was unable to go further... :-(
    >>
    >>Does anyone know what «magic incantations» FDISK writes on the hard
    >>disk when «Set installable» is selected? Where are they written.
    >>With this knowledge, I could write it, and, hopefully, go on with the
    >>install.

    >
    >
    > In your case I suspect that you've used up all the available partition table
    > entries - but a posting of the output of, for example, fdisk /query (or lvm
    > /query if it's an LVM enabled OS/2 you can boot from diskette) might help to
    > diagnose the problem. If your 1GB drive is a logical drive in an extended
    > partition then OS/2 can *only* be installed there if you also install OS/2's
    > Boot Manager in a primary partition. There's no other way to do it. Once you
    > have OS/2 installed then you can delete its Boot Manager and use the one of your
    > choice - but to get OS/2 installed anywhere other than a drive C: you must use
    > its Boot Manager.
    >


  11. Re: OS/2 Fdisk Set installable??

    Hi Jean,

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:51:54 UTC, "Jean Castonguay" wrote:

    > I wish to install OS/2 Warp on a 120 GB hard disk. To that effect, I
    > created a 1 GB logical unit below the 8 GB frontier.


    OK

    > I installed PC-DOS, Windows 2000, Fedora and XOSL as a Boot Manager
    > (it can boot OSes beyond the 8 GB frontier).


    Yes, but it is not 'known' to the OS2 FDISK :-)

    > I selected the Advanced Install and I was displayed the FDISK screen.
    > The ®Set installable¯ was greyed; so I was unable to go further... :-(


    It is grayed because it is a LOGICAL and there is no OS2 Bootmanager.
    (Or FDISK was not called FROM the installer, stupid check in FDISK, I know)


    > Does anyone know what ®magic incantations¯ FDISK writes on the hard
    > disk when ®Set installable¯ is selected? Where are they written.
    > With this knowledge, I could write it, and, hopefully, go on with the
    > install.


    Well, as you may have read in the other replies, for the later
    LVM aware OS2 versions, that is a flag in the LVM information.
    (Yiu can see and modify that using DFSee)

    However, AFAICT you are using the older OS2 version
    with the classic FDISK program. In that case the 'installable'
    is just a setting in the environment (in memory) that is shared
    between FDISK and the OS/2 installer.
    I don't think the 'installable' bit is actually written to the disk, but if it is
    it would be in the EBR sector, which holds the partition table for
    that logical. There is a small area just in front of the partition tables
    that also holds the assigned Bootmanager name (if any).
    (area starts at 0x18B into that sector)

    I think the option in the FDISK menu is only available when FDISK
    is called FROM the OS/2 installer (CD).


    > Thank you very much in advance.


    You're welcome!

    Regards, JvW


    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

+ Reply to Thread