USRobotics Sportster Faxmodem with x2 with eCS 1.1 - OS2

This is a discussion on USRobotics Sportster Faxmodem with x2 with eCS 1.1 - OS2 ; Hi, Folks! Does anyone know the correct init string for an external USRobotics Sportster Faxmodem with x2 ? The standard string that IBM Dialer sets for "Hayes Compatible" modem allows me only for 33600 bps connection. Besides, if the Serial ...

  1. USRobotics Sportster Faxmodem with x2 with eCS 1.1

    Hi, Folks!
    Does anyone know the correct init string for an external USRobotics
    Sportster Faxmodem with x2 ? The standard string that IBM Dialer sets
    for "Hayes Compatible" modem allows me only for 33600 bps connection.
    Besides, if the Serial Port Speed is set above 38400, the modem
    refuses to connect to two ISPs I use regularly. Is there any "modern"
    serial hardware modem known to work OK with eCS? Being stuck behind a
    narrowband connection calls for as much juice as you can get from your
    modem!
    Thanks a lot!

  2. Re: USRobotics Sportster Faxmodem with x2 with eCS 1.1

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:21:09 UTC "MARK44"
    wrote:

    > Hi, Folks!
    > Does anyone know the correct init string for an external USRobotics
    > Sportster Faxmodem with x2 ? The standard string that IBM Dialer sets
    > for "Hayes Compatible" modem allows me only for 33600 bps connection.
    > Besides, if the Serial Port Speed is set above 38400, the modem
    > refuses to connect to two ISPs I use regularly. Is there any "modern"
    > serial hardware modem known to work OK with eCS? Being stuck behind a
    > narrowband connection calls for as much juice as you can get from your
    > modem!
    > Thanks a lot!

    Go to the USR web site and check the manual for the modem. USR used
    some odd-ball setting semantics and codes - I ran a Sportster for
    several years and definitely remember fighting to get the setup string
    right. I can't find any USR manuals around just now, but they are
    definitely not the same as a generic Hayes modem.

    --
    Will Honea

+ Reply to Thread