OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager? - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager? - OS2 ; The OS/2 Warp Boot Manager cannot boot an operating system beyond the 8 GB frontier. XOSL (Extended Operating System Loader) can. So, can I install OS/2 Warp below the 8 GB frontier (to insure that it will boot)? Will the ...

  1. OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    The OS/2 Warp Boot Manager cannot boot an operating system beyond the
    8 GB frontier.

    XOSL (Extended Operating System Loader) can.

    So, can I install OS/2 Warp below the 8 GB frontier (to insure that it
    will boot)? Will the install program require me to install its Boot
    Manager? If yes, can I install the OS/2 Boot Manager at the very end
    of the disk and, then, delete it after the OS/2 installation?

    Thank you very much for your help.
    --
    Jean Castonguay
    lectrocommande Pascal

  2. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    Jean Castonguay wrote:

    >The OS/2 Warp Boot Manager cannot boot an operating system beyond the
    >8 GB frontier.
    >
    >XOSL (Extended Operating System Loader) can.
    >
    >So, can I install OS/2 Warp below the 8 GB frontier (to insure that it
    >will boot)? Will the install program require me to install its Boot
    >Manager? If yes, can I install the OS/2 Boot Manager at the very end
    >of the disk and, then, delete it after the OS/2 installation?
    >
    >Thank you very much for your help.

    Jean,
    You are talking about old, old limitations. Why not get a more modern
    OS/2 or eCS version, and then you can happily forget about these things?

  3. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:03:52 UTC, Colin Campbell
    wrote:

    > You are talking about old, old limitations. Why not get a more modern
    > OS/2 or eCS version, and then you can happily forget about these things?

    To my knowledge, the French language version of ECS is not yet
    available.
    --
    Jean Castonguay
    lectrocommande Pascal

  4. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    Sir:

    Jean Castonguay wrote:
    > The OS/2 Warp Boot Manager cannot boot an operating system beyond the
    > 8 GB frontier.
    >
    > XOSL (Extended Operating System Loader) can.
    >
    > So, can I install OS/2 Warp below the 8 GB frontier (to insure that it
    > will boot)? Will the install program require me to install its Boot
    > Manager? If yes, can I install the OS/2 Boot Manager at the very end
    > of the disk and, then, delete it after the OS/2 installation?

    The problem is worst than that. OS/2 boot loader itself does not know
    how to work beyond 1024 cylinder limit. The fixed for this problem came
    with MCP or eCS versions of OS/2 client and arrived just after the time
    the first greater than 8 GiB drives became available.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:04:54 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > > So, can I install OS/2 Warp below the 8 GB frontier (to insure that it
    > > will boot)? Will the install program require me to install its Boot
    > > Manager? If yes, can I install the OS/2 Boot Manager at the very end
    > > of the disk and, then, delete it after the OS/2 installation?
    > >

    > The problem is worst than that. OS/2 boot loader itself does not know
    > how to work beyond 1024 cylinder limit. The fixed for this problem came
    > with MCP or eCS versions of OS/2 client and arrived just after the time
    > the first greater than 8 GiB drives became available.

    Actually, it came with Warp 4 fixpack 13. See:

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html

  6. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    Sir:

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:04:54 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>>So, can I install OS/2 Warp below the 8 GB frontier (to insure that it
    >>>will boot)? Will the install program require me to install its Boot
    >>>Manager? If yes, can I install the OS/2 Boot Manager at the very end
    >>>of the disk and, then, delete it after the OS/2 installation?
    >>>

    >>The problem is worst than that. OS/2 boot loader itself does not know
    >>how to work beyond 1024 cylinder limit. The fixed for this problem came
    >>with MCP or eCS versions of OS/2 client and arrived just after the time
    >>the first greater than 8 GiB drives became available.

    > Actually, it came with Warp 4 fixpack 13. See:
    >
    > http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html

    In order to boot beyond 1024 cylinder limit of int 13, required int 13x
    extension. I never tried to boot OS/2 beyond that cylinder limit while
    fp 13-15 was around (then current latest), as fp 12 was more stable,
    until I installed MCP and eCS that summer. Was not Daniboot code
    necessary to boot fp 13-15 'out there'?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    Colin Campbell spake unto us, saying:

    >You are talking about old, old limitations. Why not get a more modern
    >OS/2 or eCS version, and then you can happily forget about these things?

    How does one obtain a newer OS/2 (not eCS) installation CD? IBM?

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  8. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:39:25 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > > Actually, it came with Warp 4 fixpack 13. See:
    > >
    > > http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html
    > >

    > In order to boot beyond 1024 cylinder limit of int 13, required int 13x
    > extension.

    As long as the BIOS supports it, of course. And the necessary boot code
    and Boot Manager code is included in FP13 onwards.

    > Was not Daniboot code necessary to boot fp 13-15 'out there'?

    No.

  9. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    Richard Steiner schrieb:

    > Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    > Colin Campbell spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >You are talking about old, old limitations. Why not get a more modern
    > >OS/2 or eCS version, and then you can happily forget about these things?

    > How does one obtain a newer OS/2 (not eCS) installation CD? IBM?

    From Password Advantage (Express) [IBM]

    Hendrik

  10. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    Jean Castonguay wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:03:52 UTC, Colin Campbell
    > wrote:
    >

    >>You are talking about old, old limitations. Why not get a more modern
    >>OS/2 or eCS version, and then you can happily forget about these things?
    >>

    >To my knowledge, the French language version of ECS is not yet
    >available.

    Sorry, I was guilty of forgetting about national language versions.
    Still, you could find an OS/2 MCP version in French, I believe.
    Besides, your English in your original post was so good that I didn't
    think about you using a non-English operating system!

  11. Re: OS/2 Warp with XOSL instead of Boot Manager?

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    Hendrik Schmieder spake unto us, saying:

    >Richard Steiner schrieb:
    >
    >> How does one obtain a newer OS/2 (not eCS) installation CD? IBM?

    >From Password Advantage (Express) [IBM]

    That's what I was afraid of. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

+ Reply to Thread