Hi all,

now I am trying to teach eCS 1.2 that my Thinkpad X21 system actually
has a split personality:

The machine comes with a so-called UltraBase X2, or media slice, which
is a glorified docking station with

- a built-in floppy drive
- an Ultrabay 2000, holding a CD-ROM drive right now
- stereo speakers
- a few passthrough ports

It would be neat to be able to boot the system in the dock, suspend and
remove it, or vice versa. Right now, I have to shut down completely and
reboot after change of configuration.

With the stock eCS or OS/2 install, the system does not know about
removable floppies or CD-ROM drives, other than the USB ones I had
specified. To change that, I changed the config.sys statements of the
floppy drive to read

rem ================================================== =====================
rem Force floppy to be initialized for warm swap, even if not found at boot
rem Needed, e.g., to find media slice floppy after boot w/o slice attached
rem This actually works for the media slice
rem ================================================== =====================
rem Initial statement, as placed here by the eCS 1.2 installer
rem BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD
BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD /A:0 /FORCE:1 /U:0 /F:1.44MB /V

This worked on my Thinkpad 365XD (internal CD-ROM, external floppy) and
it still works here. Great.

Now I read through danis506.doc and daniatapi.doc and wanted to tell the
system also about the removable CD-ROM drive, along the lines of:

Instead of the stock:

BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD
BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT

I used now:

BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /A:1 /BAY
BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT /A:1 /U:0 /TYPE:C

But, that does not do the trick. Before the modification, the system
showed two CD-ROM icons (S for the reader, T for a writer I assume as
RSJ is installed). After the modification, the CD-ROM icon for T is gone,
the one for S remains visible but I cannot access the disk in any way.
Not when booted with the base attached, not when booted w/o it, not
after a suspend/resume cycle.

Below the -- as I think -- relevant config.sys sniplet in a greater
context, and the messages of the two involved drivers from Dani's
collection. I am almost certain the drivers can handle it and I just
didn't get the switches right ...

rem ================================================== =====================
rem Initialize CDROM in bay for warm swap, even if not found at boot
rem Needed, e.g., to find media slice CDR LW after boot w/o slice attached
rem This does not just not work, but it also makes the CD-ROM invisible to
rem the system.
rem ================================================== =====================
rem Initial statement, as placed here by the eCS 1.2 installer
rem BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD
rem BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /A:1 /BAY
BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD

REM BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD
BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:1
rem ================================================== =====================
rem To enable also a writer in the bay, change the type to /TYPE:CW or :W
rem see daniatapi.doc for more
rem ================================================== =====================
rem Initial statement, as placed here by the eCS 1.2 installer
rem BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT
rem this makes the CDROM drive invisible. Adding /RSJ did not change it
rem BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT /A:1 /U:0 /TYPE:C
BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT
BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT /Q /D
BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD
BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD
BASEDEV=OS2SCSI.DMD
BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD /ALL

Boot with Media slice detached:

# copy IBMS506$ con:
R1.7.4 Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.7.4
Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
Intel PIIX4 PATA host (8086:7111 rev:01) on PCI 0:7.1 @33MHz
Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4 BIOS
Model:TOSHIBA MK4018GAP M0.03 A
OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
C 5168 65535 65535 16383 Avail 78140160
H 240 16 240 16 16 OS2 78140160
S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 100.00

# copy ATAPI$ con:
ATAPI$
SYS0002: The system cannot find the file specified.

After boot with media slice attached:

# copy IBMS506$ con:
R1.7.4 Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.7.4
Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
Intel PIIX4 PATA host (8086:7111 rev:01) on PCI 0:7.1 @33MHz
Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4 BIOS
Model:TOSHIBA MK4018GAP M0.03 A
OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
C 5168 65535 65535 16383 Avail 78140160
H 240 16 240 16 16 OS2 78140160
S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 100.00
Controller:1 Port:0170 IRQ:0F Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
Intel PIIX4 PATA host (8086:7111 rev:01) on PCI 0:7.1 @33MHz
Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4
Model:LG CD-ROM CRN-8245B 1.11

# copy ATAPI$ con:
R0.3.17 Daniela's ATAPI Filter Version 0.3.17
Controller:1 Port:0170 IRQ:0F Status:OK
Unit:0 Status:OK PIO32 DMA X/CDB6
Model:LG CD-ROM CRN-8245B 1.11

So, indeed, it finds the drive at controller 1 and unit 0 but still
does not like me to use it ...

Any takers? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance & Cheers, Stefan