TCPBEUI misbehaving - OS2

This is a discussion on TCPBEUI misbehaving - OS2 ; [I try to fix different problems separately, this is why I send several postings.] I try to analyse problems on my network. With TCPBEUI, I do not even need network to see problems! The computer does not list even ITSELF ...

  1. TCPBEUI misbehaving

    [I try to fix different problems separately, this is why I send
    several postings.]

    I try to analyse problems on my network. With TCPBEUI, I do not even
    need network to see problems! The computer does not list even ITSELF
    on the

    net view

    output (nothing is there).

    What I did is I edited out all other netN from WRKNETS and SRVNETS
    lines to leave only net2, which is TCPBEUI (network kinda-works with
    NETBEUI present). Net2 is

    net2 = tcpbeui$,1,LM10,34,70,14

    LANTRANS.LOG shows

    Adapter 1 has 153 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 27 names available to NETBIOS applications.

    PROTOCOL.INI has

    [tcpbeui_nif]

    DriverName = tcpbeui$
    Bindings = ,NC100_nif
    NODETYPE = "B-Node"
    OS2TRACEMASK = 0x0
    SESSIONS = 130
    NCBS = 225
    NAMES = 42
    SELECTORS = 15
    USEMAXDATAGRAM = "NO"
    NETBIOSTIMEOUT = 500
    NETBIOSRETRIES = 2
    NAMECACHE = 1000
    PRELOADCACHE = "NO"
    NAMESFILE = 0
    DATAGRAMPACKETS = 20
    PACKETS = 50
    INTERFACERATE = 300

    and CONFIG.SYS has

    DEVICE=D:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFNB.SYS /S:50 /C:80 /N:21

    (I have no idea how the CSN values are calculated... Maybe this /N is
    too low?)

    Any suggestion will be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  2. Re: NETBIOS NAMES= numbers

    One of the "on the side" question was about "NAMES" value on different
    lines. Here is the accumulated result of my experiments:

    I wrote in article :

    > From IBMLAN.INI:
    > net2 = tcpbeui$,1,LM10,34,70,14
    > PROTOCOL.INI, [tcpbeui_nif]
    > NAMES = 42
    > CONFIG.SYS has
    > DEVICE=D:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFNB.SYS /S:50 /C:80 /N:21

    Results in:

    > LANTRANS.LOG shows
    > Adapter 1 has 153 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 27 names available to NETBIOS applications.

    > (I have no idea how the CSN values are calculated... Maybe this /N is
    > too low?)

    I did not check the effect of the IBMLAN.INI net2= stanza (the last
    number has relation to names). /N: value on AFNB.SYS line has no
    effect on LANTRANS.LOG value. The [tcpbeui_nif] NAMES= value DOES
    have an effect: the value on LANTRANS.LOG is 15 less than this value.

    I have no idea what this 15 number means. It is 1 more than value on
    net2 statement. It is also the value of SELECTORS stanza on
    [tcpbeui_nif]...

    Moreover, I do not know whether I need *any* names "available to
    NETBIOS applications"; all I want now is to share some resources...

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  3. Re: NETBIOS NAMES= numbers

    I wrote in article :
    > > From IBMLAN.INI:
    > > net2 = tcpbeui$,1,LM10,34,70,14
    > > PROTOCOL.INI, [tcpbeui_nif]
    > > NAMES = 42
    > > CONFIG.SYS has
    > > DEVICE=D:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFNB.SYS /S:50 /C:80 /N:21

    > Results in:
    >
    > > LANTRANS.LOG shows
    > > Adapter 1 has 153 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 27 names available to NETBIOS applications.

    One more experiment, and what I see is:

    The number 27 for NAMES on the LANTRANS.LOG line is 42 - 14 - 1. Do
    not know where this 1 comes from; 42 comes from the NAMES=42 line; 14
    is the number of names requested on the net2= line.

    AFAICS, the value on AFNB.SYS line does not matter for these calculations.

    This does not answer other questions (what these LANTRANS.LOG numbers
    are "useful for", and the initial network problem).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  4. Re: TCPBEUI misbehaving

    Hi Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > [I try to fix different problems separately, this is why I send
    > several postings.]
    >
    > I try to analyse problems on my network. With TCPBEUI, I do not even
    > need network to see problems! The computer does not list even ITSELF
    > on the
    >
    > net view
    >
    > output (nothing is there).
    >
    > What I did is I edited out all other netN from WRKNETS and SRVNETS
    > lines to leave only net2, which is TCPBEUI (network kinda-works with
    > NETBEUI present). Net2 is
    >
    > net2 = tcpbeui$,1,LM10,34,70,14

    I think you need to change the above to net1 and also run mpts, remove
    netbios protocol from any adaptor (if it still exists) and make sure
    that tcpip over netbios protocol is on the first adapter.

    Save changes exit, reboot - and if I have got it right you should now
    have tcpbeui working :-)

    Regards

    Pete

    > LANTRANS.LOG shows
    >
    > Adapter 1 has 153 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 27 names available to NETBIOS applications.
    >
    > PROTOCOL.INI has
    >
    > [tcpbeui_nif]
    >
    > DriverName = tcpbeui$
    > Bindings = ,NC100_nif
    > NODETYPE = "B-Node"
    > OS2TRACEMASK = 0x0
    > SESSIONS = 130
    > NCBS = 225
    > NAMES = 42
    > SELECTORS = 15
    > USEMAXDATAGRAM = "NO"
    > NETBIOSTIMEOUT = 500
    > NETBIOSRETRIES = 2
    > NAMECACHE = 1000
    > PRELOADCACHE = "NO"
    > NAMESFILE = 0
    > DATAGRAMPACKETS = 20
    > PACKETS = 50
    > INTERFACERATE = 300
    >
    > and CONFIG.SYS has
    >
    > DEVICE=D:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFNB.SYS /S:50 /C:80 /N:21
    >
    > (I have no idea how the CSN values are calculated... Maybe this /N is
    > too low?)
    >
    > Any suggestion will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya

  5. Re: TCPBEUI misbehaving

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:05:56 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > I try to analyse problems on my network. With TCPBEUI, I do not even
    > need network to see problems! The computer does not list even ITSELF
    > on the
    >
    > net view
    >
    > output (nothing is there).

    I think the one file that you need to post is the one you missed out -
    ibmlan.ini

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  6. Re: TCPBEUI misbehaving

    Sir:

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > [I try to fix different problems separately, this is why I send
    > several postings.]
    >
    > I try to analyse problems on my network. With TCPBEUI, I do not even
    > need network to see problems! The computer does not list even
    > ITSELF on the
    >
    > net view
    >
    > output (nothing is there).
    >
    > What I did is I edited out all other netN from WRKNETS and SRVNETS
    > lines to leave only net2, which is TCPBEUI (network kinda-works with
    > NETBEUI present). Net2 is
    >
    > net2 = tcpbeui$,1,LM10,34,70,14
    >
    > LANTRANS.LOG shows
    >
    > Adapter 1 has 153 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 27 names available to
    > NETBIOS applications.
    >
    > PROTOCOL.INI has
    >
    > [tcpbeui_nif]
    >
    > DriverName = tcpbeui$ Bindings = ,NC100_nif NODETYPE = "B-Node"
    > OS2TRACEMASK = 0x0 SESSIONS = 130 NCBS = 225 NAMES = 42 SELECTORS =
    > 15 USEMAXDATAGRAM = "NO" NETBIOSTIMEOUT = 500 NETBIOSRETRIES = 2
    > NAMECACHE = 1000 PRELOADCACHE = "NO" NAMESFILE = 0 DATAGRAMPACKETS =
    > 20 PACKETS = 50 INTERFACERATE = 300
    >
    > and CONFIG.SYS has
    >
    > DEVICE=D:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFNB.SYS /S:50 /C:80 /N:21
    >
    > (I have no idea how the CSN values are calculated... Maybe this /N
    > is too low?)
    >
    > Any suggestion will be appreciated.

    Peter is on the right track. You have gotten the system all confused as
    to what is what. Run MPTS and get the protocols corrected, removing
    Netbios, leaving Netbios over tcpip on only one (number zero) adapter.
    (The other protocols on that logical adapter should be TCPIP and IF you
    are using a switch in the LAN, 802.2 also) Remove the extra logical
    adapters. Highlight 'netbios over tcpip' in the list of protocols
    assign to the adapter and click upon EDIT. Select NAMES and setup the
    netbios names to IP associations (RFCNAMES). Next run the Peerinst.exe
    program found in \IBMLAN\INSTALL (and if you don't have it, assuming you
    got Warp4 or later, update Peer). On Warp 3 Connect it is called
    LANinst.exe. Select tailored, not easy path. Select configure where
    offered, or OK. This should fix Peer so that it knows which protocol
    goes with which logical adapter. Repeat for all computers.

    Once this is configured, try your tests again.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: TCPBEUI misbehaving

    Trevor Hemsley
    ], who wrote in article :
    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:05:56 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Ilya Zakharevich
    > wrote:
    > > I try to analyse problems on my network. With TCPBEUI, I do not even
    > > need network to see problems! The computer does not list even ITSELF
    > > on the
    > >
    > > net view
    > >
    > > output (nothing is there).

    > I think the one file that you need to post is the one you missed out -
    > ibmlan.ini

    Thanks, appended.

    Yours,
    Ilya

    ; OS/2 Peer initialization file

    [networks]

    net1 = NETBEUI$,0,LM10,34,100,14
    net2 = tcpbeui$,1,LM10,34,70,14
    net3 = NETBEUI$,2,LM10,34,100,14
    ; This information is read by the redirector at device initialization time.

    [requester]

    ; The following parameters generally do not need to be
    ; changed by the user.
    charcount = 16
    chartime = 250
    charwait = 3600
    keepconn = 600
    keepsearch = 600
    maxcmds = 16
    maxerrorlog = 100
    maxthreads = 10
    maxwrkcache = 64
    numalerts = 12
    numcharbuf = 10
    numservices = 4
    numworkbuf = 15
    numdgrambuf = 14
    othdomains =
    printbuftime = 90
    sesstimeout = 45
    sizcharbuf = 512
    sizerror = 1024
    sizworkbuf = 4096
    useallmem = no
    ; The wrkheuristics parameter sets a variety of requester fine-tuning
    ; options. Brief descriptions are provided here for each digit. More
    ; complete descriptions, along with explanations of relationships between
    ; digits can be found in the OS/2 Peer Technical Reference.
    ;
    ; When not otherwise specified, a value of 0 means off (inactive) and 1 means
    ; on (active).
    ;
    ; 0 opportunistic locking of files (default is 1)
    ; 1 performance optimization for batch (.CMD) files (default is 1)
    ; 2 asynchronous unlock and asynchronous write-unlock
    ; 0 = never 2 = only on a LAN Server virtual circuit
    ; 1 = always (default)
    ; 3 asynchronous close and asynchronous write-close
    ; 0 = never 2 = only on a LAN Server virtual circuit
    ; 1 = always (default)
    ; 4 buffer all named pipes and serial devices (default is 1)
    ; 5 combined read-lock and write-unlock
    ; 0 = never 2 = only on a LAN Server virtual circuit
    ; 1 = always (default)
    ; 6 open and read optimization (default is 1)
    ; 7 reserved
    ; 8 use of the chain-send NETBIOS NCB
    ; 0 = never
    ; 1 = when a server's buffer is larger than the workstations buffer
    ; 2 = always (default)
    ; 9 buffer small read and write requests until the buffer is full
    ; 0 = never 2 = only on a LAN Server virtual circuit
    ; 1 = always (default)
    ; 10 buffer mode
    ; 0 = always read buffer size amount of data if the request is smaller
    ; than the buffer size (sizworkbuf) and data is being read
    ; sequentially
    ; 1 = use full buffer if file is open for reading and writing
    ; 2 = use full buffer if reading and writing sequentially
    ; 3 = buffer all requests smaller than the buffer size (if hits occur)
    ; (default)
    ; 11 RAW read and RAW write SMB protocols (default is 1)
    ; 12 RAW read-ahead buffer (default is 1)
    ; 13 RAW write-behind buffer (default is 1)
    ; 14 read multiplexing SMB protocols (default is 1)
    ; 15 write multiplexing SMB protocols (default is 1)
    ; 16 use of big buffers for large core (non-RAW) reads (default is 1)
    ; 17 same-size read-ahead or read-to-sector boundary (default is 1)
    ; 18 same-size small record write-behind or write-to-sector boundary
    ; (default is 0)
    ; 19 reserved and must be 0
    ; 20 flush pipes and devices on a DosBufReset or DosClose operation
    ; 0 = Flush only files and devices opened by the caller. Spin until
    ; flushed. Wait for confirmation before processing with other
    ; tasks. (default)
    ; 1 = Flush only files and devices opened by the caller. Flush only
    ; once. Do not wait for confirmation.
    ; 2 = Flush all files and all input and output of short-term pipes
    ; and devices. Spin until flushed.
    ; 3 = Flush all files and all input and output of short-term pipes
    ; and devices. Flush only once.
    ; 4 = Flush all files and all input and output of all pipes and devices.
    ; Spin until flushed.
    ; 5 = Flush all files and all input and output of all pipes and devices.
    ; Flush only once.
    ; 21 LAN Server encryption of passwords (default is 1)
    ; 22 control log entries for multiple occurrences of an error
    ; 0 = log all occurrences (default)
    ; 1-9 = limit occurrences that are logged (1-9 define size of table
    ; that is used to track errors)
    ; 23 buffer all files opened with deny-write sharing mode (default is 1)
    ; 24 buffer all files opened with the read-only attribute set (default is 1)
    ; 25 read ahead when opening for execution (default is 1)
    ; 26 handle the interrupt (ctrl+c) key
    ; 0 = allow no interrupts
    ; 1 = allow interrupts only on long-term operations
    ; 2 = always allow interrupts (default)
    ; 27 force correct open mode when creating files on a core server (reserved
    ; for DBCS users) (default is 1)
    ; 28 NETBIOS NoAck mode
    ; 0 = NoAck is disabled.
    ; 1 = NoAck is set on send only. (default)
    ; 2 = NoAck is set on receive only.
    ; 3 = NoAck is set on send and receive.
    ; 29 send data along with SMB write-block RAW requests (default is 1)
    ; 30 send a message to the screen when the requester logs an error
    ; 0 = never
    ; 1 = on write-fault errors only (no time out) (default)
    ; 2 = on write-fault and internal errors only (no time out)
    ; 3 = on all errors (no time out)
    ; 4 = reserved
    ; 5 = on write-fault errors only (time out)
    ; 6 = on write-fault and internal errors only (time out)
    ; 7 = on all errors (time out)
    ; 8 = on all errors (time out) and pop up an error if a session
    ; to a server is abnormally disconnected
    ; 9 = on all errors (time out) and generate an INT24 (critical
    ; error) to applications running under DOS emulation if a
    ; network hard error is encountered
    ; 31 reserved
    ; 32 behavior of DosBufReset on a redirected file (not pipes or devices).
    ; When the call to the API returns, the data in the buffer has been
    ; handled as follows:
    ; 0 = Changed data in the buffer was sent from the requester to the
    ; server. The server has written the data to disk.
    ; 1 = Changed data in the buffer was sent from the requester to the
    ; server. The server has not yet written the data to disk.
    ; 2 = DosBufReset was ignored. (default)
    ; 33 time interval for performing logon validation from the domain
    ; controller
    ; 0 = 5 seconds 4 = 60 seconds 8 = 8 minutes
    ; 1 = 15 seconds (default) 5 = 90 seconds 9 = 15 minutes
    ; 2 = 30 seconds 6 = 2 minutes
    ; 3 = 45 seconds 7 = 4 minutes
    ; 34 date validation
    ; 0 = PCLP date format (default)
    ; 1 = MSNET date format
    ; 2 = assume date is correct
    ; 35 free disk space reported to DOS and Windows applications
    ; 0 = return true value (default)
    ; 1 = return a value less than two gigabytes
    ; 36 time and date synchronization with the domain controller at logon
    ; (default is 1)
    ; 37 type of verification for the LAN Server logon
    ; 0 = no verification
    ; 1 = verify against local NET.ACC (default)
    ; 2 = verify against domain NET.ACC
    ; 38 display warning messages for the LAN Server logon
    ; 0 = do not display warning messages
    ; 1 = display all warning messages (default)
    ; 2 = do not display LAN Server specific warning messages
    ; 3 = display all warning messages, including password expiration date
    ; 39 buffer all files opened in compatibility mode
    ; 0 = buffer only files opened for read access in compatibility mode
    ; 1 = buffer all files opened in compatibility mode (default)
    ; 40 allow a user to logon multiple times in the same domain (default is 1)
    ;
    ; The next lines help you to locate bits in the wrkheuristics entry.
    ; 1 2 3 4
    ; 012345678901234567890123456789012345678901
    wrkheuristics = 111111112131111111000101112011122100111110
    ; wrknets = NET1,NET2,NET3
    wrknets = NET2
    wrkservices = MESSENGER,PEER
    Computername = IA-IA
    Domain = IBMPEERS

    [messenger]

    logfile = messages.log
    sizmessbuf = 4096

    [peer]

    auditing = resource
    ; The following parameters generally do not need to be
    ; changed by the user. NOTE : srvnets= is represented in
    ; the server info struct as a 16-bit lan mask. Srvnet names
    ; are converted to indexes within [networks] for the named nets.
    guestacct = guest
    autodisconnect = -1
    forwardauth = no
    maxauditlog = 100
    maxchdevjob = 6
    maxchdevq = 2
    maxchdevs = 2
    maxconnections = 128
    maxlocks = 64
    maxopens = 160
    maxsearches = 150
    maxsessopens = 120
    maxsessreqs = 25
    maxsessvcs = 1
    maxshares = 64
    maxusers = 32
    numbigbuf = 6
    numfiletasks = 1
    numreqbuf = 48
    sizreqbuf = 4096
    srvanndelta = 3000
    srvannounce = 180
    srvhidden = no
    ; The srvheuristics parameter sets a variety of server fine-tuning
    ; options. Brief descriptions are provided here for each digit. More
    ; complete descriptions, along with explanations of relationships between
    ; digits can be found in the OS/2 Peer Technical Reference.
    ;
    ; When not otherwise specified, a value of 0 means off (inactive) and 1 means
    ; on (active).
    ;
    ; 0 opportunistic locking of files (default is 1)
    ; 1 read-ahead when the requester is performing sequential access
    ; 0 = do not use read-ahead
    ; 1 = use single read-ahead thread (default)
    ; 2 = use asynchronous read-ahead thread
    ; 2 write-behind (default is 1)
    ; 3 use of the chain-send NETBIOS NCB (default is 1)
    ; 4 check all incoming SMBs for correct format (default is 0)
    ; 5 support FCB opens (default is 1)
    ; 6 set priority of server (default is 4)
    ; 0-9 = 0 is highest priority, 9 is lowest priority
    ; 7 automatically allocate additional memory for directory searches
    ; (default is 1)
    ; 8 write records to the audit log only when the scavenger wakes up
    ; (default is 1)
    ; 9 do full buffering when a file is opened with deny-write sharing mode
    ; (default is 1)
    ; 10 set the interval for the scavenger to wake up
    ; 0 = 5 seconds 4 = 25 seconds 8 = 45 seconds
    ; 1 = 10 seconds (default) 5 = 30 seconds 9 = 50 seconds
    ; 2 = 15 seconds 6 = 35 seconds
    ; 3 = 20 seconds 7 = 40 seconds
    ; 11 allow compatibility-mode opens of certain types of files by translating
    ; them to sharing mode opens with deny-none
    ; 0 = Always use compatibility-mode opens.
    ; 1 = Use deny-none sharing mode if read-only access to .EXE or .COM
    ; files.
    ; 2 = Use deny-none sharing mode if read-only access to .EXE or .COM
    ; files. Use deny-write sharing mode if read-only access to .BAT
    ; files is requested.
    ; 3 = Use deny-none sharing mode on all compatibility-mode opens.
    ; (default)
    ; 12 allow DOS LAN Services workstations to use a second NETBIOS session when
    ; sending printer requests (default is 1)
    ; 13 number of 64KB buffers used for read-ahead
    ; 0-9 = number of buffers (default is 1)
    ; 14 convert incoming path specifications into most basic format (default is 0)
    ; 15 Oplock Timeout and NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout (default is 0)
    ; 0 = 35 second Oplock Timeout; 34 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 1 = 70 second Oplock Timeout; 69 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 2 = 140 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 3 = 210 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 4 = 280 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 5 = 350 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 6 = 420 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 7 = 490 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 8 = 560 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 9 = 640 second Oplock Timeout; no NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout
    ; 16 validate IOCTLs (default is 1)
    ; 17 how long the server maintains unused, dynamic big buffers before freeing
    ; the memory.
    ; 0 = 0 seconds 4 = 5 minutes 8 = 1 hour
    ; 1 = 1 second 5 = 10 minutes 9 = indefinitely
    ; 2 = 10 seconds 6 = 20 minutes
    ; 3 = 1 minute (default) 7 = 40 minutes
    ; 18 how long the server waits after failing to allocate a big buffer before
    ; trying again.
    ; 0 = 0 seconds 3 = 1 minute (default)
    ; 1 = 1 second 4 = 5 minutes
    ; 2 = 10 seconds 5 = 10 minutes
    ; 19 RAW read and RAW write SMB protocols (default is 1)
    ; 20 server responds to announcement requests (default is 1)
    ;
    ; The next lines help you to locate bits in the srvheuristics entry.
    ; 1 2
    ; 012345678901234567890
    srvheuristics = 111101411113110013311
    SRVSERVICES =
    ; srvnets = NET1,NET2,NET3
    srvnets = NET2
    srvcomment = named ia-ia

    [replicator]

    replicate = IMPORT
    importpath = D:\ibmlan\repl\import
    tryuser = yes
    password =

    [services]

    ; Correlates name of service to pathname of service program.
    ; The pathname must be either
    ; 1) an absolute path (including the drive specification)
    ; OR
    ; 2) a path relative to the IBMLAN root
    messenger = services\msrvinit.exe
    peer = services\peerinit.exe
    replicator = services\replicat.exe
    requester = services\wksta.exe

  8. Re: NETBIOS NAMES= numbers

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:34:37 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > I did not check the effect of the IBMLAN.INI net2= stanza (the last
    > number has relation to names). /N: value on AFNB.SYS line has no
    > effect on LANTRANS.LOG value. The [tcpbeui_nif] NAMES= value DOES
    > have an effect: the value on LANTRANS.LOG is 15 less than this value.

    For the purposes of this calculation only, AFNB.SYS is a Netbios application.
    The numbers in PROTOCOL.INI minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI minus the odd one
    or two (I'm not sure what for) gives the number reported in LANTRANS.LOG .
    AFNB.SYS then subtracts resources from this. What is left is what is
    available to any other Netbios apps.

    > Moreover, I do not know whether I need *any* names "available to
    > NETBIOS applications"; all I want now is to share some resources...

    Do you have any (other) Netbios applications? I bet you don't.
    "Peer file sharing" is a Netbios application, but its requirements have
    already been subtracted from the available pool.

  9. Re: NETBIOS NAMES= numbers

    Paul Ratcliffe
    ], who wrote in article :
    > For the purposes of this calculation only, AFNB.SYS is a Netbios application.
    > The numbers in PROTOCOL.INI minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI minus the odd one
    > or two (I'm not sure what for) gives the number reported in LANTRANS.LOG .
    > AFNB.SYS then subtracts resources from this. What is left is what is
    > available to any other Netbios apps.

    Thanks. Is there any way to see what is left?

    > > Moreover, I do not know whether I need *any* names "available to
    > > NETBIOS applications"; all I want now is to share some resources...

    > Do you have any (other) Netbios applications? I bet you don't.

    How can I find out? I presume some debugger should be able to use
    netbios connection (I use sd386); likewise for databases. Can NetBios
    sockets be used from EMX? For what "transport-unaware" POSIX socket
    APIs the "names" would be consumed?

    > "Peer file sharing" is a Netbios application, but its requirements have
    > already been subtracted from the available pool.

    .... by "minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI", right?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  10. Re: NETBIOS NAMES= numbers

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:08:07 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > > The numbers in PROTOCOL.INI minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI minus the odd one
    > > or two (I'm not sure what for) gives the number reported in LANTRANS.LOG .
    > > AFNB.SYS then subtracts resources from this. What is left is what is
    > > available to any other Netbios apps.

    > Thanks. Is there any way to see what is left?

    Look in \IBMCOM\LANTRAN.LOG:

    "Adapter x has Y NCBS...."

    > > "Peer file sharing" is a Netbios application, but its requirements have
    > > already been subtracted from the available pool.

    > ... by "minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI", right?

    Yes. Get more by editing the appropriate stanza in PROTOCOL.INI.

    I run with virtually none left; I don't have any applications that use
    NetBios sockets.

  11. Re: NETBIOS NAMES= numbers

    Bob Eager
    ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-3RShsYdyk32u@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:
    > > > The numbers in PROTOCOL.INI minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI minus the odd one
    > > > or two (I'm not sure what for) gives the number reported in LANTRANS.LOG .
    > > > AFNB.SYS then subtracts resources from this. What is left is what is
    > > > available to any other Netbios apps.

    > > Thanks. Is there any way to see what is left?

    > Look in \IBMCOM\LANTRAN.LOG:
    >
    > "Adapter x has Y NCBS...."

    Now I'm fully confused... In the previous message it was said that
    the LANTRAN.LOG numbers are for

    The numbers in PROTOCOL.INI minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI minus the
    odd one or two.

    And "what is left" is after

    "AFNB.SYS ... subtracts resources from this"

    Which of the descriptions is correct?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  12. Re: NETBIOS NAMES= numbers

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:46:58 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
    > Bob Eager
    > > >
    > > > Thanks. Is there any way to see what is left?

    > > Look in \IBMCOM\LANTRAN.LOG:
    > >
    > > "Adapter x has Y NCBS...."

    > Now I'm fully confused... In the previous message it was said that
    > the LANTRAN.LOG numbers are for
    >
    > The numbers in PROTOCOL.INI minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI minus the
    > odd one or two.
    >
    > And "what is left" is after
    >
    > "AFNB.SYS ... subtracts resources from this"
    >
    > Which of the descriptions is correct?

    AFNB.SYS takes what it needs from the number left that is stated in
    LANTRAN.LOG. You probably don't even *need* AFNB.SYS...

  13. Re: NETBIOS NAMES= numbers

    Bob Eager
    ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-1uGMW7FN6Xi6@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:
    > > Now I'm fully confused... In the previous message it was said that
    > > the LANTRAN.LOG numbers are for
    > >
    > > The numbers in PROTOCOL.INI minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI minus the
    > > odd one or two.
    > >
    > > And "what is left" is after
    > >
    > > "AFNB.SYS ... subtracts resources from this"
    > >
    > > Which of the descriptions is correct?

    > AFNB.SYS takes what it needs from the number left that is stated in
    > LANTRAN.LOG.

    .... And my question was: how to find out what remains after AFNB.SYS
    takes what it needs.

    > You probably don't even *need* AFNB.SYS...

    Quite probable. Would ICAT work without it (remotely)? What about DB2?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  14. Re: NETBIOS NAMES= numbers

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:08:07 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    >> For the purposes of this calculation only, AFNB.SYS is a Netbios application.
    >> The numbers in PROTOCOL.INI minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI minus the odd one
    >> or two (I'm not sure what for) gives the number reported in LANTRANS.LOG .
    >> AFNB.SYS then subtracts resources from this. What is left is what is
    >> available to any other Netbios apps.

    > Thanks. Is there any way to see what is left?

    Not that I know of.

    >> Do you have any (other) Netbios applications? I bet you don't.

    > How can I find out?

    Uninstall it and see what breaks?

    > I presume some debugger should be able to use
    > netbios connection (I use sd386); likewise for databases. Can NetBios
    > sockets be used from EMX? For what "transport-unaware" POSIX socket
    > APIs the "names" would be consumed?

    No idea(s).

    >> "Peer file sharing" is a Netbios application, but its requirements have
    >> already been subtracted from the available pool.

    > ... by "minus the ones in IBMLAN.INI", right?

    Yes. IBMLAN.INI is what configures Peer.

+ Reply to Thread