NETBEUI misbehaving - OS2

This is a discussion on NETBEUI misbehaving - OS2 ; Maybe somebody can recognize these symptoms. Assume network of 2 computers (others behave yet more erratically): a) Computer A: it lists computer B in net view but shows an error when doing net view \\computer_b NET3502: OS/2 error 53 has ...

  1. NETBEUI misbehaving

    Maybe somebody can recognize these symptoms. Assume network of 2
    computers (others behave yet more erratically):

    a) Computer A: it lists computer B in
    net view
    but shows an error when doing
    net view \\computer_b

    NET3502: OS/2 error 53 has occurred.
    SYS0053: The network path was not found.

    b) Computer B: it does NOT list computer A in
    net view
    but shows the listing of resources fine when doing
    net view \\computer_a
    It can access all the shared resources on computer A without any
    (other) problem.

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  2. Re: NETBEUI misbehaving

    In , Ilya Zakharevich writes:

    >Maybe somebody can recognize these symptoms. Assume network of 2
    >computers (others behave yet more erratically):
    >
    > a) Computer A: it lists computer B in
    > net view
    > but shows an error when doing
    > net view \\computer_b
    >
    > NET3502: OS/2 error 53 has occurred.
    > SYS0053: The network path was not found.
    >
    > b) Computer B: it does NOT list computer A in
    > net view
    > but shows the listing of resources fine when doing
    > net view \\computer_a
    > It can access all the shared resources on computer A without any
    > (other) problem.

    Comp A is serving.
    Comp B is not serving; try a reboot. The problem may recur.
    Your workgroup and/or access permissions are inconsistent.

  3. Re: NETBEUI misbehaving

    ], who wrote in article :
    > In , Ilya Zakharevich writes:
    > > a) Computer A: it lists computer B in
    > > net view
    > > but shows an error when doing
    > > net view \\computer_b
    > >
    > > NET3502: OS/2 error 53 has occurred.
    > > SYS0053: The network path was not found.
    > >
    > > b) Computer B: it does NOT list computer A in
    > > net view
    > > but shows the listing of resources fine when doing
    > > net view \\computer_a
    > > It can access all the shared resources on computer A without any
    > > (other) problem.

    > Comp A is serving.
    > Comp B is not serving; try a reboot. The problem may recur.

    The condition is permanent. The total of debugging may have been
    about a hundred reboots...

    > Your workgroup and/or access permissions are inconsistent.

    I thought may be it: when I mirrored one computer to another (via
    zip/unzip), NET.ACC file could be skipped (due to it being locked).

    Now it looks like I can backup the locked files by running

    BACKACC

    Suppose I transfer the backups to the computer B; how do I restore
    them? The documentation of RESTACC does not mentions an option of
    restoring NET.ACC. Moreover, this file has a computer name hardwired
    in, and I do not know how to change it (or whether I need to change
    it).

    Puzzled,
    Ilya

  4. Re: NETBEUI misbehaving

    In , Ilya Zakharevich writes:
    >[A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to
    >
    >], who wrote in article :
    >> In , Ilya Zakharevich writes:
    >> > a) Computer A: it lists computer B in
    >> > net view
    >> > but shows an error when doing
    >> > net view \\computer_b
    >> >
    >> > NET3502: OS/2 error 53 has occurred.
    >> > SYS0053: The network path was not found.
    >> >
    >> > b) Computer B: it does NOT list computer A in
    >> > net view
    >> > but shows the listing of resources fine when doing
    >> > net view \\computer_a
    >> > It can access all the shared resources on computer A without any
    >> > (other) problem.

    >> Comp A is serving.
    >> Comp B is not serving; try a reboot. The problem may recur.

    >The condition is permanent. The total of debugging may have been
    >about a hundred reboots...
    >
    >> Your workgroup and/or access permissions are inconsistent.

    >I thought may be it: when I mirrored one computer to another (via
    >zip/unzip), NET.ACC file could be skipped (due to it being locked).
    >
    >Now it looks like I can backup the locked files by running
    >
    > BACKACC
    >
    >Suppose I transfer the backups to the computer B; how do I restore
    >them? The documentation of RESTACC does not mentions an option of
    >restoring NET.ACC. Moreover, this file has a computer name hardwired
    >in, and I do not know how to change it (or whether I need to change
    >it).

    Here are my notes for setting up Warp peer. Ignore the references to XP and
    don't reproduce my #comments.

    Whereas a fresh install of Warp peer will serve resources to Warp requesters, it fails with XP requesters.

    In order to serve XP peer requesters, Warp peer must issue net share, user and access commands. In my example startup.cmd below the sequence and syntax is critical. Don't assume I have made typos. Auditing is helpful for debugging.

    net start peer /auditing:yes
    logon userid /Password
    net config peer /accessalert:1 /alertsched:1 /erroralert:1 /logonalert:1 /netioalert:1

    net use devicename: \\computername\resourcename # network printer

    net share ipc$
    net share sharename=c: /unlimited # root share
    net share sharename=d:\foldername /unlimited
    net share sharename=e: /unlimited # root share removable drives

    net user username /delete
    net user username /active:yes /add /privilege:user /passwordreq:no

    net access c:\ /delete
    net access c:\ /add usernameermissions # root permission
    net access c:\ /trail:yes

    net access d:\foldername /delete
    net access d:\foldername /add usernameermissions usernameermissions
    net access d:\foldername /trail:yes # enable auditing
    net access d:\foldername /apply # apply to subfolders

    net access e: /delete # removable drive
    net access e: /add usernameermissions

    exit
    Sharenames are advertised to peers.
    Share level security has no effect with XP peers; you must employ user level security.
    Ibmlan.ini may be tweaked to raise the limits on resources to match the capability of modern hardware.
    Configuring your network in one .cmd file instead of across various GUIs, leaves you with an audit trail of what you specified.
    LSerror.exe and LSaudit.exe may be usefully shadowed on your desktop.

    XP tips:-
    Forget Windows Explorer and type \\computername\sharename\foldername\filename in the Save As or Open edit box of your Windows application.

    You may ignore Microsoft's dire warnings and install NetBeui protocol on your secure LAN by first copying from XPCD\valueadd\msft\net\netbeui:-
    nbf.sys to C:\windows\system32\drivers
    netnbf.inf to C:\windows\inf (hidden folder)

    XP 5/10 simultaneous peer connection limits apply to XP peer servers, not to Warp peer servers with a tweaked ibmlan.ini.

+ Reply to Thread