WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2? - OS2

This is a discussion on WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2? - OS2 ; Hi all, being in the process of setting up a Thinkpad X21 (2662-BSG) with eCS 1.2 I have a few questions. Short story: Resume from suspend and hibernation is a bit rough. Suggestions are solicited on how to fix this ...

  1. WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    Hi all,

    being in the process of setting up a Thinkpad X21 (2662-BSG) with eCS
    1.2 I have a few questions.

    Short story:

    Resume from suspend and hibernation is a bit rough. Suggestions are
    solicited on how to fix this nicely.

    Long story:

    Everything worked more or less well, as hoped, and the details of how to
    handle a machine which can be separated from its CDROM and Floppy drives
    while in suspend or hibernation are yet to be explored (e.g., what
    happens if I hibernate or suspend with the media slice attached, then
    detach it and resume[*]).

    Nevertheless, I ran already into a number of things:

    - Audio and multimedia support did not install. The machine as a Cirrus
    Logic Crystal CS4281 chip set. Will try uniaudio, if I can get it to
    work at some point.

    Power management and suspend and even hibernation work just fine and
    dandy, but there are some issues:

    - on resume from suspend the mouse pointer is garbled: Where there was
    the pointer, there is now a square (about 1cm by 1cm, i.e., about
    1/2in by 1/2in) full of coloured lines floating. This turns into a
    mouse pointer again as soon as I move it above the smartcenter (or
    what ever it is called right now). This is minor, but still.

    - hibernation: With the IBM standalone hibernation utility (basically, a
    phdisk.exe for the Phoenix NoteBIOS of the Thinkpad) I could create a
    hibernation file save2dsk.bin in the FAT32 formatted C:\ drive where
    w2k resides. (The tool even let me create a hibernation partition at
    the end of the disk where there was still some space left, but
    apparently it then does not find it for the actual hibernation
    exercise.)

    Upon pressing Fn+F12, the machine hibernates and powers off
    completely. Pretty much what I expected after years with my faithful
    Thinkpad 365XD, except that that can even hibernate to an HPFS
    patition. I also set the BIOS option to hibernate upon pushing the
    power button, so life is likely going to be a but smoother.

    Powering the machine up again, it comes back to life but now the WPS
    is completely confused while the mouse pointer is not.
    Alas, clicking on any object opens it, but does display lines on the
    screen only. However, navigating the mouse to the smartcenter, opening
    a Full screen OS/2 session (sort of flying by instruments) and closing
    this again the WPS is back to normal.

    So, the questions come:

    Is there a script file that could be executed after resume which could
    be used to force a WPS repaint? On FreeBSD, this would be the
    /etc/rc.resume (or some such).

    What are the chances of getting hibernation to be supported by the
    kernel at some point, so the machine could hibernate to a file on HPFS
    and maybe take down lan connections before and all that?

    Are there command line tools available to suspend (and possibly even
    hibernate) a machine? I'd love to keep doing what my 365XD did, that
    is, hibernate the box from a script after the network was taken down
    and a few other things were done.

    Thanks in advance & Cheers, Stefan

    [*] Just tried that with the hibernation feature: The machine does not
    come back at all from hibernation this way. Apparently, it waits
    forever for the CD-ROM and floppy device to wake up again, and times
    out. Maybe this can be fixed with the right parameters to Dani's
    drivers but for now I know.

  2. Re: WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    On 2005-11-13, Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > being in the process of setting up a Thinkpad X21 (2662-BSG) with eCS
    > 1.2 I have a few questions.
    >
    > Short story:
    >
    > Resume from suspend and hibernation is a bit rough. Suggestions are
    > solicited on how to fix this nicely.

    I don't know if this helps with X21, but on my T23 I use
    a hibernation partition (not file) and things work well.

    Also latest mousedriver and SNAP graphics driver are important.
    For audio latest uniaud works.
    No sound after wakeup from suspend, but touching the
    controls of UniMixPM brings sound back.

    So everything works.

    HTH
    Franz

  3. Re: WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:27:18 +0000 (UTC), Franz Bakan
    wrote:
    >On 2005-11-13, Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi all, being in the process of setting up a Thinkpad X21 (2662-BSG)
    >> with eCS 1.2 I have a few questions.
    >>
    >> Short story:
    >>
    >> Resume from suspend and hibernation is a bit rough. Suggestions are
    >> solicited on how to fix this nicely.

    >I don't know if this helps with X21, but on my T23 I use a hibernation
    >partition (not file) and things work well.

    Hm, interesting. Where did you put it? (i.e., first on the drive,
    second, somewhere in the first 2 or 4 or so GB of your drive? How big
    is that drive?). I am wondering whether the BIOS upon wakeup may not be
    able to find a hibernation parition unless it is in the first your favourite magic number, such as 1024> cylinders of the disk?

    I had the partition at the end of a 40 GB disk, big enough for twice the
    RAM, but the BIOS didn't react to it and machine just beeped when
    hitting Fn+F12 in eCS.

    >Also latest mousedriver and SNAP graphics driver are important.

    Ha! SNAP I did update and it did not fix the issue, but the mouse I have
    not yet tried. Will try that and see what gives.

    >For audio latest uniaud works.

    Will try, too. What chipset does your machine have? cs4281 or something
    else?

    >No sound after wakeup from suspend, but touching the controls of
    >UniMixPM brings sound back. So everything works.

    Good for you! Keep your fingers crossed for my box :-)

    Cheers, Stefan

    >HTH Franz

  4. Re: WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    Stefan A. Deutscher
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Powering the machine up again, it comes back to life but now the WPS
    > is completely confused while the mouse pointer is not.
    > Alas, clicking on any object opens it, but does display lines on the
    > screen only. However, navigating the mouse to the smartcenter, opening
    > a Full screen OS/2 session (sort of flying by instruments) and closing
    > this again the WPS is back to normal.

    It is not WPS which is confused, but PM. With Snap 2.*, I get similar
    symptoms - after wakeup only the leftmost strip of 5 or 10 pixels is
    reliable; the rest is either not updated at all, or is updated very
    erratically (depending on the application which does the drawing?).
    Mouse is shown only if on that left-most strip.

    But all is fixed by opening a full-screen session (I have C-A-w set to
    switch to Watchcat; very handy in such a situation).

    Reinstalling the IBM drivers for the thinkpad removed all these
    problems. But IIRC, Snap 3 (which I do not have) has some
    "thinkpad-related fixes".

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  5. Re: WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    > - on resume from suspend the mouse pointer is garbled:

    Try adding 'SET ENH_SUSPEND=1' to config.sys as documented
    in the speedstep package readme should help.

    > hibernation file save2dsk.bin

    I prefer it to be a dedicated partition, at
    the begin (=fastest area) of the disk.

    If you want a different graphic that is displayed during
    suspend/resume, try my xgaproc/xga_ppm packages..

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  6. Re: WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:13:40 +0000 (UTC), Franz Bakan
    wrote:
    >On 2005-11-13, Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    >>>I don't know if this helps with X21, but on my T23 I use a hibernation
    >>>partition (not file) and things work well.

    >> Hm, interesting. Where did you put it? (i.e., first on the drive,
    >> second, somewhere in the first 2 or 4 or so GB of your drive? How big
    >> is that drive?).

    >OK, here's my disk-layout (30GB disk)
    >
    >1. ~5 GB NTFS for XP
    >2. ~300 MB Hibernation-Partition (I have 256MB RAM)
    >3. IBM-Bootmanager (~7MB)
    >4. 169MB free space (I don't remember why)
    >5. 2GB HPFS (My OS/2 Bootpartition)
    >6. 6GB JFS (Data)
    >7. 50MB HPFS (OS/2 Servicepartition)
    >8. 2GB FAT(16) (for data-exchange with XP)
    >9. ~4GB ext3 for Linux (Knoppix)
    >10. 400 MB Linux-Swap
    >11. ~3.1GB free space
    >12. ~4GB HFPS (Data)
    >
    >Perhaps you don't need that many different Partitions,
    >but hibernation to disk works for both OS/2 and Linux.

    Whew! That's a lot of partitions in 30 GB, indeed :-)
    Thanks for the feedback. Maybe the hibernation partition is not just
    faster up front but also limited to some magic cylinder count then.
    I guess I will see that I shift my partitions around a bit and retry
    with a dedicated hibernation partition. Feels better than hibernating to
    Win FAT32.

    Cheers, Stefan

  7. Re: WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    On 14 Nov 2005 09:29:28 GMT, Veit Kannegieser wrote:
    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >
    >> - on resume from suspend the mouse pointer is garbled:

    >Try adding 'SET ENH_SUSPEND=1' to config.sys as documented
    >in the speedstep package readme should help.

    Seriously cool! This works now w/o any problem, whatsoever.
    Thanks. As the saying goes - those able to read have a clear advantage
    in life. :-)

    Come to think of it ... given that the driver is capable to display the
    text mode messages "System resuming ..." and "System suspending ..."
    I wonder whether one could get this thing to also run a script that
    shuts down the LAN and does what ever else one needs before going to
    sleep and after waking up?

    >> hibernation file save2dsk.bin

    >I prefer it to be a dedicated partition, at
    >the begin (=fastest area) of the disk.

    Will check that.

    >If you want a different graphic that is displayed during
    >suspend/resume, try my xgaproc/xga_ppm packages..

    I am fine with the IBM one for now, but an OS/2 Warp image might be cool
    to :-)

    Cheers, Stefan

  8. Re: WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    On 2005-11-18, Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    > Come to think of it ... given that the driver is capable to display the
    > text mode messages "System resuming ..." and "System suspending ..."
    > I wonder whether one could get this thing to also run a script that
    > shuts down the LAN and does what ever else one needs before going to
    > sleep and after waking up?

    Why shut down LAN? I have the experience, that this is not necessary.

    Franz

  9. Re: WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:44:25 +0000 (UTC), Franz Bakan
    wrote:
    >On 2005-11-18, Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >
    >> Come to think of it ... given that the driver is capable to display the
    >> text mode messages "System resuming ..." and "System suspending ..."
    >> I wonder whether one could get this thing to also run a script that
    >> shuts down the LAN and does what ever else one needs before going to
    >> sleep and after waking up?

    >Why shut down LAN? I have the experience, that this is not necessary.

    Hell, you're right! I got used to this being a need on my Thinkpad
    365xd: Take down lan so no email poll or what ever gets interrupted in
    the middle, power down the network pcmcia card manually, then hibernate.

    but you are right: On this TPx21 with onboard Intel Pro/100, the box
    just hibernates and comes back as if nothing had happened.

    What I do not know yet is how it handles a modem in the pcmcia slot, but
    we will see.

    Cheers, Stefan

    >Franz

  10. Re: WPS a bit confused after suspend/hibernate on TP X21 w. eCS 1.2?

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:30:59 +0000 (UTC), Stefan A. Deutscher
    wrote:
    >On 14 Nov 2005 09:29:28 GMT, Veit Kannegieser wrote:
    >>Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >>
    >>> - on resume from suspend the mouse pointer is garbled:

    >>Try adding 'SET ENH_SUSPEND=1' to config.sys as documented
    >>in the speedstep package readme should help.

    >Seriously cool! This works now w/o any problem, whatsoever.
    >Thanks. As the saying goes - those able to read have a clear advantage
    >in life. :-)

    Following up to myself:

    One thing that does _not_ work now is Fn+F3. This is supposed to just
    shut off the TFT screen (to extend backlight life and battery power),
    but instead, it appears to suspend the machine, sort of:

    The display goes dark immediately. No message "System suspending" is
    shown. The disk spins down. All quiet. Now, hiting the space bar or any
    other key the system comes back to life immediately and continues to do
    what it did before. No need to press Fn for while as in a "real"
    suspend. However, a tad bit more than just "Screen off"...
    Anybody with ideas how to fix this?

    thanks in advance & cheers, Stefan

+ Reply to Thread