WPS won't come up - OS2

This is a discussion on WPS won't come up - OS2 ; I recenlty bought a new monitor (ViewSonic VX910) to replace the PT775 I've been using for the last several years. Tried resetting to vga with Alt-F2 and setvga from a cl, but as far as booting goes is the blue ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. WPS won't come up

    I recenlty bought a new monitor (ViewSonic VX910) to replace the PT775
    I've been using for the last several years. Tried resetting to vga with
    Alt-F2 and setvga from a cl, but as far as booting goes is the blue
    screen and clock face with the wps start-up sound playing. The sound
    plays to the end and then nothing further (4.52, CP3, Matrox G400 and
    Snap 3.39). It's been a quite a while since I messed around with video
    configuration, what have I missed?

    TIA

    Pete

    --

  2. Re: WPS won't come up

    Sir:

    Pete wrote:
    > I recenlty bought a new monitor (ViewSonic VX910) to replace the
    > PT775 I've been using for the last several years. Tried resetting to
    > vga with Alt-F2 and setvga from a cl, but as far as booting goes is
    > the blue screen and clock face with the wps start-up sound playing.
    > The sound plays to the end and then nothing further (4.52, CP3,
    > Matrox G400 and Snap 3.39). It's been a quite a while since I messed
    > around with video configuration, what have I missed?

    Boot to a command line (AltF1-F2) and run setgradd.cmd. That should get
    you Gradd VGA settings. Reboot. From the desktop install SNAP.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: WPS won't come up

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:07:55 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Pete wrote:
    > > I recenlty bought a new monitor (ViewSonic VX910) to replace the
    > > PT775 I've been using for the last several years. Tried resetting to
    > > vga with Alt-F2 and setvga from a cl, but as far as booting goes is
    > > the blue screen and clock face with the wps start-up sound playing.
    > > The sound plays to the end and then nothing further (4.52, CP3,
    > > Matrox G400 and Snap 3.39). It's been a quite a while since I messed
    > > around with video configuration, what have I missed?
    > >

    > Boot to a command line (AltF1-F2) and run setgradd.cmd. That should get
    > you Gradd VGA settings. Reboot. From the desktop install SNAP.

    Thanks, tried it, but still all I get is the blue screen with clock
    face. Attempting to boot from the mainenance partition gives error
    messages about not being able to find the desktop, even after I put "set
    desktop=x:\desktop" in config.sys and won't create one from os2.ini
    either.

    Pete

    --

  4. Re: WPS won't come up

    Sir:

    Pete wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:07:55 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Sir:
    >>
    >>Pete wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recenlty bought a new monitor (ViewSonic VX910) to replace the
    >>>PT775 I've been using for the last several years. Tried resetting to
    >>>vga with Alt-F2 and setvga from a cl, but as far as booting goes is
    >>>the blue screen and clock face with the wps start-up sound playing.
    >>>The sound plays to the end and then nothing further (4.52, CP3,
    >>>Matrox G400 and Snap 3.39). It's been a quite a while since I messed
    >>>around with video configuration, what have I missed?
    >>>

    >>Boot to a command line (AltF1-F2) and run setgradd.cmd. That should get
    >>you Gradd VGA settings. Reboot. From the desktop install SNAP.

    > Thanks, tried it, but still all I get is the blue screen with clock
    > face. Attempting to boot from the mainenance partition gives error
    > messages about not being able to find the desktop, even after I put "set
    > desktop=x:\desktop" in config.sys and won't create one from os2.ini
    > either.

    You can run makini on the two ini files to see if that will fill in the
    missing pointers. Example: makeini os2.ini ini.rc and makini os2sys.ini
    sysini.rc Doing this without deleting the existing ini files will just
    add the contents of the rc to the file overwriting the missing
    information, but leaving the current applications alone. If that does
    not work, you can restore a previous saved set of ini.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: WPS won't come up

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:25:34 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Pete wrote:
    > > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:07:55 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>Sir:

    > >>Boot to a command line (AltF1-F2) and run setgradd.cmd. That should get
    > >>you Gradd VGA settings. Reboot. From the desktop install SNAP.

    > > Thanks, tried it, but still all I get is the blue screen with clock
    > > face. Attempting to boot from the mainenance partition gives error
    > > messages about not being able to find the desktop, even after I put "set
    > > desktop=x:\desktop" in config.sys and won't create one from os2.ini
    > > either.
    > >

    > You can run makini on the two ini files to see if that will fill in the
    > missing pointers. Example: makeini os2.ini ini.rc and makini os2sys.ini
    > sysini.rc Doing this without deleting the existing ini files will just
    > add the contents of the rc to the file overwriting the missing
    > information, but leaving the current applications alone. If that does
    > not work, you can restore a previous saved set of ini.

    Many thanks. After booting Alt-F1->F2, I had to cd\os2 before this
    would work. This got the desktop to display in vga mode, then I could
    reinstall snap, fix the resolution, and "import" all the folders and
    programs from "previous desktop".

    Pete

    --

  6. Re: WPS won't come up

    Interesting. With my "black screen" problem when the wps booted up
    (seemed to start after updating Norman, but moving zlh around between
    startup.cmd and the startup folder didn't seem to fix it), setting to
    vga and reinstalling snap seems to have gotten me a desktop again.
    However, the whole set of icons is shifted downward. It's functional
    but the changed positions are driving me crazy.

    --

  7. Re: WPS won't come up

    Mark .. another 'trick' ,,

    Mark Klebanoff wrote:
    > Interesting. With my "black screen" problem when the wps booted up
    > (seemed to start after updating Norman, but moving zlh around between
    > startup.cmd and the startup folder didn't seem to fix it), setting to
    > vga and reinstalling snap seems to have gotten me a desktop again.
    > However, the whole set of icons is shifted downward. It's functional
    > but the changed positions are driving me crazy.

    Go into the properties of the Desktop or folder on which this happens. Set the
    folder to maintain sort order .. in my case I always use alphabetical order.
    I've never seen a 'displaced' icon issue where they were scattered or shifted
    downward like you discribe that hasn't ever been 'fixed' this way. The folder
    or desktop always re-conforms to the 'proper' spacing and width and size of the
    text in the icons for me when I do this.

    Dunno if this will help but it's easy to try.

  8. Re: WPS won't come up

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:17:49 UTC, "Mark Klebanoff"
    wrote:

    > Interesting. With my "black screen" problem when the wps booted up
    > (seemed to start after updating Norman, but moving zlh around between
    > startup.cmd and the startup folder didn't seem to fix it), setting to
    > vga and reinstalling snap seems to have gotten me a desktop again.
    > However, the whole set of icons is shifted downward. It's functional
    > but the changed positions are driving me crazy.

    --snip--

    > > Many thanks. After booting Alt-F1->F2, I had to cd\os2 before this
    > > would work. This got the desktop to display in vga mode, then I could
    > > reinstall snap, fix the resolution, and "import" all the folders and
    > > programs from "previous desktop".

    It was some sort of path problem because when I would try to run
    "makeini os2.ini ini.rc" from d:\ it would return "invalid parameter".
    After cd\os2, it worked as intended. Something got clobbered in the ini
    file because I also have xfile, and its settings were all out of whack
    after I got things going again. Also, the date and clock widgets have
    dissappeared off the right hand end of the xcenter (anyone know how to
    get them back or shorten the xcenter? They're greyed out in the add
    widget menu).

    This all revolved around replacing my CRT with a flat panel. I imported
    the win INF file and then tried to reset to plain vanilla vga. I had
    gotten confused because this is recommended only for a new installation
    of snap (the old monitor has lasted some 4 years and Snap has never
    given any problems whatsoever). SteveW at SciTech adivises that: all
    you have to do is change the monitor because Snap will recoginze it
    automatically and set things up accordingly; and using flat panels in
    analog mode (I have a KVM switch) can be a bit chancy now and then
    because it's an emulation thing. The only thing I can recommend over
    and above this is to import the inf file if the new monitor isn't listed
    and set the resolution for a value which is within the range it uses
    before changing (didn't have to do this on my maintenance partition but
    did on my second box). Of course if the old monitor is dead, that's a
    different story . . .

    Pete

    --

  9. Re: WPS won't come up

    Oops, I did that, but the icons are now sorted by name, which is not
    the way I had them originally. My sort was manually done, and
    idiosyncratic, but at least I could find what I needed. Oh well. I
    wonder how to undo that to get them the way I had them.

    I wonder, if I move them around, is there the equivalent of "snap to"
    a grid to line them up automatically.

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:23:21 UTC, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > Mark .. another 'trick' ,,
    >
    > Mark Klebanoff wrote:
    > > Interesting. With my "black screen" problem when the wps booted up
    > > (seemed to start after updating Norman, but moving zlh around between
    > > startup.cmd and the startup folder didn't seem to fix it), setting to
    > > vga and reinstalling snap seems to have gotten me a desktop again.
    > > However, the whole set of icons is shifted downward. It's functional
    > > but the changed positions are driving me crazy.

    > Go into the properties of the Desktop or folder on which this happens. Set the
    > folder to maintain sort order .. in my case I always use alphabetical order.
    > I've never seen a 'displaced' icon issue where they were scattered or shifted
    > downward like you discribe that hasn't ever been 'fixed' this way. The folder
    > or desktop always re-conforms to the 'proper' spacing and width and size of the
    > text in the icons for me when I do this.
    >
    > Dunno if this will help but it's easy to try.

    --

  10. Re: WPS won't come up

    Mark Klebanoff wrote:

    >Oops, I did that, but the icons are now sorted by name, which is not
    >the way I had them originally. My sort was manually done, and
    >idiosyncratic, but at least I could find what I needed. Oh well. I
    >wonder how to undo that to get them the way I had them.
    >
    >I wonder, if I move them around, is there the equivalent of "snap to"
    >a grid to line them up automatically.

    Yes, select a set of icons (using the Ctrl or Shift keys to select more
    than one), then right click on the Desktop, choose "Arrange", then
    "Selected Horizontal" or "Selected Vertical". Make sure none of the
    icons has "Lock in place" checked in the Properties. You can lock them
    in afterwards....

  11. Re: WPS won't come up

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:00:20 UTC, "Mark Klebanoff"
    wrote:

    > I wonder, if I move them around, is there the equivalent of "snap to"
    > a grid to line them up automatically.

    Not quite this, but take a look at Extended Desktop (an old, but still
    useful, piece of IBM EWS).

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/ews/exdesk.zip

  12. Re: WPS won't come up

    Thanks, I'll try it.

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 07:41:20 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:00:20 UTC, "Mark Klebanoff"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I wonder, if I move them around, is there the equivalent of "snap to"
    > > a grid to line them up automatically.

    > Not quite this, but take a look at Extended Desktop (an old, but still
    > useful, piece of IBM EWS).
    >
    > http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/ews/exdesk.zip

    --

  13. Re: WPS won't come up

    I'm still having WPS problems. On some (but not all) boots, when the
    WPS starts all I get is a black screen. I suspect it's a timing thing,
    but I'm not sure. I was wondering how to change the order in which
    things in the startup folder start? In the startup.cmd file it's
    easy-- you just change the order of the statements, but I don't know
    about the startup folder. Also, what else in the WPS starts from
    Config.sys directly, and how can I play with the order of those?

  14. Re: WPS won't come up

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:41:54 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, maxikins@os2bbs.com
    wrote:

    > I'm still having WPS problems. On some (but not all) boots, when the
    > WPS starts all I get is a black screen. I suspect it's a timing thing,
    > but I'm not sure. I was wondering how to change the order in which
    > things in the startup folder start?

    The easy way to eliminate this as a cause is to run with SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO
    for a while and see if it hangs. If it does then nothing in the startup folder
    is causing it!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  15. Re: WPS won't come up

    I assume I can still start those manually after everything comes up???

    --

  16. Re: WPS won't come up

    my current line says "STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY"

    What will happen without the rebootonly part?

  17. Re: WPS won't come up

    On 25 Nov 2005 04:36:04 -0800, maxikins@os2bbs.com wrote:
    > my current line says "STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY"
    >
    > What will happen without the rebootonly part?

    The startup folder will be processed every time the WPS (re)starts.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  18. Re: WPS won't come up

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:36:04 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, maxikins@os2bbs.com
    wrote:

    > my current line says "STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY"
    >
    > What will happen without the rebootonly part?

    Search the command reference manual for restartobjects and it tells you,

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  19. Re: WPS won't come up

    I tried all that, as well as moving the startup folder so things would
    start manually. Anyway here is the wpstart.log. I was wondering if
    anything in here is informative

    Startup log opened, entering initMain

    2005-12-02 16:55:22:82 T001 initMain: PID 0x3A, TID 0x1
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:93 T001 XWorkplace thread-1 object window created,
    HWND 0x8000006B
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:93 T001 XWorkplace API object window created, HWND
    0x8000006C
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:93 T001 Entering ReplaceWheelWatcher:
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Running WPS threads at this point:
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 01 has priority 0x0200
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 object wnd 0x8000004C (#32767)
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 object wnd 0x8000006B (#5)
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 object wnd 0x8000006C (#5)
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 02 has priority 0x0300
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 03 has priority 0x030A
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 04 has priority 0x0300
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 object wnd 0x8000005A
    (SysSoundsNotifyWnd)
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 object wnd 0x8000004D (#32767)
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 05 has priority 0x0300
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 06 has priority 0x0300
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 07 has priority 0x031E
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 08 has priority 0x0200
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 09 has priority 0x0301
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 10 has priority 0x0300
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Thread 11 has priority 0x0200
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Created HQUEUE 0xB (DosCreateQueue
    returned 0)
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:94 T001 Started XWP Sentinel thread, TID: 12
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:98 T001 Entering xmmInit:
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:98 T001 Resolved MMPM/2 imports, new XWP media
    status: 1
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:98 T001 Started XWP Party thread, TID: 13
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:98 T001 Entering xthrStartThreads:
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:99 T001 Started XWP Worker thread, TID: 14
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:99 T001 Started XWP Bush thread, TID: 15
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:99 T001 Started XWP Wimp thread, TID: 16
    2005-12-02 16:55:22:99 T001 Started XWP File thread, TID: 17
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:00 T001 Attempted to access
    \SHAREMEM\XWORKPLC\DMNSHARE.DAT, DosGetNamedSharedMem returned 2
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:00 T001 --> XWPDAEMN not running, starting now.
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:00 T001 DosAllocSharedMem returned 0
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:02 T001 WinStartApp for
    "F:\ECS\SYSTEM\EWPS\bin\xwpdaemn.exe" returned HAPP 0x315
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:02 T001 Attempted to access
    \SHAREMEM\XWORKPLC\XWPSHELL.DAT, DosGetNamedSharedMem returned 2
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:02 T001 --> XWPSHELL not running, going into
    single-user mode.
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:02 T001 Leaving initMain
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:82 T001 FsQueryDriveData(A) = 0x13F515E8
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:82 T001 FsQueryDriveData(A) = 0x13F515E8
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:82 T001 FsQueryDriveData(A) = 0x13F515E8
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:88 T001 FsQueryDriveData(A) = 0x13F515E8
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:91 T001 FsQueryDriveData(A) = 0x13F515E8
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:91 T001 FsQueryDriveData(A) = 0x13F515E8
    2005-12-02 16:55:23:92 T001 FsQueryDriveData(A) = 0x13F515E8
    2005-12-02 16:55:24:05 T001 Entering initRepairDesktopIfBroken...
    2005-12-02 16:55:24:05 T001 Leaving initRepairDesktopIfBroken,
    returning BOOL 1.
    2005-12-02 16:55:26:13 T001 Entering xfdesk_wpOpen...
    2005-12-02 16:55:26:13 T001 Entering xfdesk_wpOpen...
    2005-12-02 16:55:26:27 T049 Entering xfdesk_wpPopulate, calling parent
    WPDesktop::wpPopulate...
    2005-12-02 16:55:26:27 T049 Entering xfdesk_wpPopulate, calling parent
    WPDesktop::wpPopulate...
    2005-12-02 16:55:26:90 T001 Leaving xfdesk_wpOpen, returning HWND
    0x800000EC
    2005-12-02 16:55:26:90 T001 Leaving xfdesk_wpOpen, returning HWND
    0x800000EC
    2005-12-02 16:55:26:90 T001 posted desktop HWND 0x800000EC to daemon
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:07 T049 parent WPDesktop::wpPopulate returned 1
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:07 T049 first desktop populate after open,
    posting FIM_DESKTOPPOPULATED
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:07 T049 Leaving xfdesk_wpPopulate
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:09 T049 parent WPDesktop::wpPopulate returned 1
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:09 T049 Leaving xfdesk_wpPopulate
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:10 T017 Entering initDesktopPopulated...
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:10 T017 Creating startup thread
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:10 T017 Startup thread created, TID 52
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:10 T017 Leaving initDesktopPopulated
    2005-12-02 16:55:29:14 T052 Entering fntStartupThread...
    2005-12-02 16:55:30:17 T052 Leaving fntStartupThread, closing log.

  20. Re: WPS won't come up

    More detail (sorry, I thought it would have been posted)

    On about half my bootups when the WPS starts, the screen is black.
    From the sounds it seems like things are starting, but I cant' see
    anything. Given that it happens some of the time I thought it might be
    a startup timing issue. I've tried to disable the startup.cmd, and
    SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO but it is still happening. So it doesn't look
    like a simple timing issue. In my previous post I've attached the
    wpstart.log, but I'm not sure what else to try. I'm using eCS 1.2
    with the latest fixpacks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast