WPS won't come up - OS2

This is a discussion on WPS won't come up - OS2 ; Sir: Mark Klebanoff wrote: > More detail (sorry, I thought it would have been posted) > > On about half my bootups when the WPS starts, the screen is black. > From the sounds it seems like things are starting, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: WPS won't come up

    Sir:

    Mark Klebanoff wrote:
    > More detail (sorry, I thought it would have been posted)
    >
    > On about half my bootups when the WPS starts, the screen is black.
    > From the sounds it seems like things are starting, but I cant' see
    > anything. Given that it happens some of the time I thought it might be
    > a startup timing issue. I've tried to disable the startup.cmd, and
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO but it is still happening. So it doesn't look
    > like a simple timing issue. In my previous post I've attached the
    > wpstart.log, but I'm not sure what else to try. I'm using eCS 1.2
    > with the latest fixpacks

    Do you get the normal system startup sound, when it fails to paint? If
    no, then this would point to a problem in the mmpm2.ini file. Enable
    system sound if you don't have them enabled.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  2. Re: WPS won't come up

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:59:23 -0600, Mark Klebanoff
    wrote:

    > More detail (sorry, I thought it would have been posted)
    >
    > On about half my bootups when the WPS starts, the screen is black.
    > From the sounds it seems like things are starting, but I cant' see
    > anything. Given that it happens some of the time I thought it might be
    > a startup timing issue. I've tried to disable the startup.cmd, and
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO but it is still happening. So it doesn't look
    > like a simple timing issue. In my previous post I've attached the
    > wpstart.log, but I'm not sure what else to try. I'm using eCS 1.2
    > with the latest fixpacks

    The log looked reasonably normal as fas as I can tell. It's more likely
    to be a display driver issue I'd have thought.

  3. Re: WPS won't come up

    Mark Klebanoff
    ], who wrote in article :
    > More detail (sorry, I thought it would have been posted)
    >
    > On about half my bootups when the WPS starts, the screen is black.
    > From the sounds it seems like things are starting, but I cant' see
    > anything. Given that it happens some of the time I thought it might be
    > a startup timing issue. I've tried to disable the startup.cmd, and
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO but it is still happening. So it doesn't look
    > like a simple timing issue. In my previous post I've attached the
    > wpstart.log, but I'm not sure what else to try. I'm using eCS 1.2
    > with the latest fixpacks

    I use a WatchCat to "debug" such problems. A lot of intermittent
    problems with video device drivers would be fixed by switching to a FS
    session and back. This is exactly what activation of WatchCat would
    achieve... Additionally, you can check which PM processes really
    managed to start...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  4. Re: WPS won't come up

    Yes, the system sounds start up normally.

    On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 00:15:32 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Mark Klebanoff wrote:
    > > More detail (sorry, I thought it would have been posted)
    > >
    > > On about half my bootups when the WPS starts, the screen is black.
    > > From the sounds it seems like things are starting, but I cant' see
    > > anything. Given that it happens some of the time I thought it might be
    > > a startup timing issue. I've tried to disable the startup.cmd, and
    > > SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO but it is still happening. So it doesn't look
    > > like a simple timing issue. In my previous post I've attached the
    > > wpstart.log, but I'm not sure what else to try. I'm using eCS 1.2
    > > with the latest fixpacks

    > Do you get the normal system startup sound, when it fails to paint? If
    > no, then this would point to a problem in the mmpm2.ini file. Enable
    > system sound if you don't have them enabled.

    --

  5. Re: WPS won't come up

    How do I do that, since the screen is black?

    --

  6. Re: WPS won't come up

    Mark Klebanoff
    ], who wrote in article :
    > How do I do that, since the screen is black?

    [Please do not toppost...]

    > > I use a WatchCat to "debug" such problems. A lot of intermittent
    > > problems with video device drivers would be fixed by switching to a FS
    > > session and back. This is exactly what activation of WatchCat would
    > > achieve... Additionally, you can check which PM processes really
    > > managed to start...

    DEVICE=D:\DEVICES\WATCHCAT.SYS KEYB:CA-W

    then press Ctrl-Alt-w when needed.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

+ Reply to Thread