Install Warp Connect on a ThinkPad 1400 - OS2

This is a discussion on Install Warp Connect on a ThinkPad 1400 - OS2 ; Hello, I don't seem to be able to get Warp Connect running on a ThinkPad 1400 (2611). I can install the OS fin, but after the final reboot it stops loading before switching from text mode to the graphical interface. ...

  1. Install Warp Connect on a ThinkPad 1400

    Hello,

    I don't seem to be able to get Warp Connect running on a
    ThinkPad 1400 (2611). I can install the OS fin, but after the
    final reboot it stops loading before switching from text mode
    to the graphical interface. I can enter the CMD prompt through
    Alt-F1/c though. To make sure I don't interfere with
    misbehaving device drivers I installed only the base OS without
    support for networking or multimedia devices. When booting the
    OS with Alt-F2, it stops after having loaded com.sys, but this
    driver does not seem to be the problem since I get the same
    picture if loading network drivers that would come after this
    one. Interestingly the same picture persists even if I set
    runworkplace and protshell to c:\os2\cmd.exe. I wonder wheather
    there's any problems with this particular hardware:

    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ALi Corporation M1621 (rev 05)
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation PCI to AGP Controller (rev 01)
    0000:00:06.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
    0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV] (r ev 0a)
    0000:00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 02)
    0000:00:0f.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev 20)
    0000:00:11.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU] (rev 09)
    0000:00:13.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6832/6833 Cardbus Controller (rev 34)
    0000:00:13.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6832/6833 Cardbus Controller (rev 34)
    0000:00:14.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2200 [MagicGraph 256AV] (rev 20)

    And, yes, I am using Dani's drivers on install floppy #1 and have set
    copyfromfloppy to 1.

    Any clues?

    Cheers,

    M.

    --
    Attachment? See: http://piology.org/ILOVEYOU-Signature-FAQ.html
    begin LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs

  2. Re: Install Warp Connect on a ThinkPad 1400

    On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:25:15 UTC Martin Herbert Dietze
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I don't seem to be able to get Warp Connect running on a
    > ThinkPad 1400 (2611). I can install the OS fin, but after the
    > final reboot it stops loading before switching from text mode
    > to the graphical interface. I can enter the CMD prompt through
    > Alt-F1/c though. To make sure I don't interfere with
    > misbehaving device drivers I installed only the base OS without
    > support for networking or multimedia devices. When booting the
    > OS with Alt-F2, it stops after having loaded com.sys, but this
    > driver does not seem to be the problem since I get the same
    > picture if loading network drivers that would come after this
    > one. Interestingly the same picture persists even if I set
    > runworkplace and protshell to c:\os2\cmd.exe. I wonder wheather
    > there's any problems with this particular hardware:
    >
    > 0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ALi Corporation M1621 (rev 05)
    > 0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation PCI to AGP Controller (rev 01)
    > 0000:00:06.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
    > 0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV] (r ev 0a)
    > 0000:00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 02)
    > 0000:00:0f.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev 20)
    > 0000:00:11.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU] (rev 09)
    > 0000:00:13.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6832/6833 Cardbus Controller (rev 34)
    > 0000:00:13.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6832/6833 Cardbus Controller (rev 34)
    > 0000:00:14.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
    > 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2200 [MagicGraph 256AV] (rev 20)
    >
    > And, yes, I am using Dani's drivers on install floppy #1 and have set
    > copyfromfloppy to 1.
    >
    > Any clues?

    Sounds like a display problem. First, did you install to VGA
    resolution? If not, then try forcing VGA mode from the same screen
    where you enter the commnad line mode on boot up. Once you get that
    up so that you can boot, get the SNAP video drivers. The most current
    version from IBM is only available via subscription, but the older
    SDDSEnnn versions should also work. There is a free version on the
    IBM ftp site.

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: Install Warp Connect on a ThinkPad 1400

    Will Honea wrote:

    > Sounds like a display problem. First, did you install to VGA
    > resolution? If not, then try forcing VGA mode from the same screen

    Yes, I installed to VGA resolution. And it does not seem to me
    like there's a display problem since setting RUNWORKPLACE and
    PROTSHELL to cmd.exe did not change anything. I tried forcing
    VGA mode, and unfortunately it did not help.

    > SDDSEnnn versions should also work. There is a free version on the
    > IBM ftp site.

    Have you got any hint where to look for it?

    Cheers,

    Martin

    --
    Ya dyshu - i znachit, ya lyublyu!
    Ya lyublyu - i znachit, ya zhivu! -- Vladimir Vysozkij

  4. Re: Install Warp Connect on a ThinkPad 1400

    On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:34:23 UTC Martin Herbert Dietze
    wrote:

    > Will Honea wrote:
    >
    > > Sounds like a display problem. First, did you install to VGA
    > > resolution? If not, then try forcing VGA mode from the same screen

    > Yes, I installed to VGA resolution. And it does not seem to me
    > like there's a display problem since setting RUNWORKPLACE and
    > PROTSHELL to cmd.exe did not change anything. I tried forcing
    > VGA mode, and unfortunately it did not help.
    >
    > > SDDSEnnn versions should also work. There is a free version on the
    > > IBM ftp site.

    > Have you got any hint where to look for it?
    >
    > Cheers,

    That's going to be a problem, then. It's pretty hard to get anything
    setup for the video if you can't boot to at least some visible screen.
    Of course, you say you can boot to the command line so you might be
    able to see what is messing up using TEDIT to compare config.sys with
    \os2\boot\config.x which is the config used to boot to the sommand
    line session. You can also try running pmshell from that command line
    session and seeing what happens. AH! If that works, that's how to
    install the SDD driver! But it also confirms that video isn't the
    problem. Rock and a hard place.

    The available SDD driver can be found at
    ftp://ps.software.ibm.com/ps/product...r/sddse704.exe.
    I got mine all screwed up at one time and wound up setting the BIOS to
    boot to an external display when I mucked up the LCD setup. Never did
    figure out how I managed to do THAT little trick, but using an
    external monitor saved the day.

    --
    Will Honea

  5. Re: Install Warp Connect on a ThinkPad 1400

    There was a problem way back then getting OS/2 installed on ThinkPads that the VGA driver that shipped with OS/2 would not work. There was an updated VGA driver required to even get the install to
    complete. Then after the install the correct ThinkPad VGA driver for the specific model / chip would be installed. Complicated, not fun. Update to the latest OS/2 if you can and forget old issues like
    these.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  6. Re: Install Warp Connect on a ThinkPad 1400

    I finally got the OS working after having disabled the "Plug
    and Play OS" setting in the BIOS setup. Wondering wheather the
    problem can be solved by modifying my config.sys rather than
    the BIOS setup...

    Cheers,

    M.

    --
    Doch sie, die mich am meisten gequält, geärgert, betrübt,
    Die hat mich nie gehasset, und hat mich nie geliebt. -- H. Heine

+ Reply to Thread