Simplest possible PCMCIA install - OS2

This is a discussion on Simplest possible PCMCIA install - OS2 ; Hello (again) folks, I'd like to cut down my PCMCIA install to the absolute bare minimum I need to get the one card I have - WiFi adaptor - to work. In particular, I would like it to stop allocating ...

  1. Simplest possible PCMCIA install

    Hello (again) folks,

    I'd like to cut down my PCMCIA install to the absolute bare minimum I
    need to get the one card I have - WiFi adaptor - to work. In
    particular, I would like it to stop allocating drive letters to drives
    which will never exist. The package is cardbus 8, and the relevant
    bits of config.sys are

    BASEDEV=PCMCIA.SYS
    BASEDEV=IBM2SS14.SYS
    BASEDEV=AUTODRV2.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\VPCMCIA.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\PCMSSDIF.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\PCM2SRAM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\FLSH2MTD.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\PCM2FLSH.SYS
    BASEDEV=PCM2ATA.ADD /S:2 /!DM /NOBEEP

    and much later, at the bottom

    BASEDEV=OS2PCARD.DMD
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\$ICPMOS2.SYS /G

    Could some kind person tell me which of these I need ... and also
    advise on the order ... is it right that the last two should be so
    much further down config.sys? I'm wondering if something here could be
    the source of my boot hang, mentioned elsewhere...

    Ian
    --

  2. Re: Simplest possible PCMCIA install

    Ian Johnston wrote:

    > BASEDEV=PCMCIA.SYS

    required

    > BASEDEV=IBM2SS14.SYS

    required

    > BASEDEV=AUTODRV2.SYS

    optional, but does not causes drive letters, keep it

    > DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\VPCMCIA.SYS

    Card&Socket services for DOS sessions, unlikely you need that,
    but it causes no drive letters

    > DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\PCMSSDIF.SYS
    > DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\PCM2SRAM.SYS
    > DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\FLSH2MTD.SYS
    > DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\PCM2FLSH.SYS
    > BASEDEV=PCM2ATA.ADD /S:2 /!DM /NOBEEP

    remove

    > and much later, at the bottom
    >
    > BASEDEV=OS2PCARD.DMD

    remove

    > DEVICE=C:\OS2\$ICPMOS2.SYS /G

    Power management. my guess is that it mostly for modem cards.
    And the wifi driver itself also should handle APM events.

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  3. Re: Simplest possible PCMCIA install

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:38:41 UTC, "Veit Kannegieser"
    wrote:

    > Ian Johnston wrote:
    >
    > > BASEDEV=PCMCIA.SYS

    > required ...

    Many thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know!

    Ian

+ Reply to Thread