Occasional WPS hangs at boot - OS2

This is a discussion on Occasional WPS hangs at boot - OS2 ; Hi Folks, I have just added WiFi to my eCS 1.2 Thinkpad R40e system. To do this I added... PCMCIA support using the IBM Cardbus 8 package Orinoco chipset support using the General Prism 2.0 RC 4 drivers XWorkplace LAN ...

  1. Occasional WPS hangs at boot

    Hi Folks,

    I have just added WiFi to my eCS 1.2 Thinkpad R40e system. To do this
    I added...

    PCMCIA support using the IBM Cardbus 8 package
    Orinoco chipset support using the General Prism 2.0 RC 4 drivers
    XWorkplace LAN Monitor 1.2

    Now my system occasionally - about 1 time in 3 - hangs at boot, as the
    WPS is trying to start. Well, not quite hangs, as I can use CAD
    Commander, run a shell and so on, but the WPS simply does not start.
    Rebooting (using the Big Red Button) solves the problem.

    It doesn't matter whether the WiFi card is on or out, or whether there
    is a wired connection to the built in Ethernet card.

    Has anyone any bright ideas about what might cause this? I have some
    suspicions about the LAN monitor myself, as it seems occasionally a
    wee bit odd in its behaviour.

    Ian
    --

  2. Re: Occasional WPS hangs at boot

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 15:44:39 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have just added WiFi to my eCS 1.2 Thinkpad R40e system. To do this
    > I added...

    > Now my system occasionally - about 1 time in 3 - hangs at boot, as the
    > WPS is trying to start. Well, not quite hangs, as I can use CAD
    > Commander, run a shell and so on, but the WPS simply does not start.
    > Rebooting (using the Big Red Button) solves the problem.

    FWIW:

    Sounds like a problem I've had for years, though with much lower
    frequency. This is on a desktop system assembled from various makers'
    products, and there's no WiFi in it. There is a network connection, but I
    think the problem predates that. The main obvious symptom is that a lot of
    the things that should come up on screen simply don't appear. Years of
    trying to isolate the problem have left me accepting my fate. With one
    exception: I never ever touch the mouse till all the icons and the Toolbar
    have appeared; breaking this rule gives a very high probability of WPS
    failure.

    --
    Dan Drake
    dd@dandrake.com

  3. Re: Occasional WPS hangs at boot

    The intermittent nature suggests that it is timing related, which is not
    unknown in this part of the bootup. Check the startup folder, the
    x:\startup.cmd and config.sys to understand what is being started. You
    can often change a start to a different time and so fix this type of
    problem. It may not be anything new that is the actual problem, just the
    accumulated effect of all the things starting.
    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have just added WiFi to my eCS 1.2 Thinkpad R40e system. To do this
    > I added...
    >
    > PCMCIA support using the IBM Cardbus 8 package
    > Orinoco chipset support using the General Prism 2.0 RC 4 drivers
    > XWorkplace LAN Monitor 1.2
    >
    > Now my system occasionally - about 1 time in 3 - hangs at boot, as the
    > WPS is trying to start. Well, not quite hangs, as I can use CAD
    > Commander, run a shell and so on, but the WPS simply does not start.
    > Rebooting (using the Big Red Button) solves the problem.
    >
    > It doesn't matter whether the WiFi card is on or out, or whether there
    > is a wired connection to the built in Ethernet card.
    >
    > Has anyone any bright ideas about what might cause this? I have some
    > suspicions about the LAN monitor myself, as it seems occasionally a
    > wee bit odd in its behaviour.
    >
    > Ian

  4. Re: Occasional WPS hangs at boot

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:02:43 UTC, Bob McLellan wrote:

    > The intermittent nature suggests that it is timing related, which is not
    > unknown in this part of the bootup. Check the startup folder, the
    > x:\startup.cmd and config.sys to understand what is being started

    Thanks. All looks as I'd expect, except for "usbmon.exe usbprt" in the
    startup folder - since I never, ever, ever print to a USB printer, do
    I need that?

    Ian
    --

  5. Re: Occasional WPS hangs at boot

    wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have just added WiFi to my eCS 1.2 Thinkpad R40e system. To do this
    > I added...
    >
    > PCMCIA support using the IBM Cardbus 8 package
    > Orinoco chipset support using the General Prism 2.0 RC 4 drivers
    > XWorkplace LAN Monitor 1.2
    >
    > Now my system occasionally - about 1 time in 3 - hangs at boot, as the
    > WPS is trying to start. Well, not quite hangs, as I can use CAD
    > Commander, run a shell and so on, but the WPS simply does not start.
    > Rebooting (using the Big Red Button) solves the problem.
    >
    > It doesn't matter whether the WiFi card is on or out, or whether there
    > is a wired connection to the built in Ethernet card.
    >
    > Has anyone any bright ideas about what might cause this? I have some
    > suspicions about the LAN monitor myself, as it seems occasionally a
    > wee bit odd in its behaviour.
    >
    > Ian

    You can change the order of startup in the start folder which I have
    done to correct this (requires experimentation to determine what needs
    changing). Xworkplace has the ability to use xworkplace startup
    folders where you can change the amount of time between apps starting
    (which also I have used to combat this issue) or you can get REXX
    Autostart from http://www.7cities.net/~mckinnis/os2/ which was
    designed specifically to fight this issue.
    Andy