still can't boot from hd .... help - OS2

This is a discussion on still can't boot from hd .... help - OS2 ; old: Drive0 = 7 Gb ide0 primary, part C: - E:, FAT; F: - J:, HPFS Drive1 = 8 Gb ide1 primary. part K: - N:, HPFS Drive2 = 160+-Gb ide2 expansion controller. part O: - R:, V: HPFS; W: ...

  1. still can't boot from hd .... help

    old:
    Drive0 = 7 Gb ide0 primary, part C: - E:, FAT; F: - J:, HPFS
    Drive1 = 8 Gb ide1 primary. part K: - N:, HPFS
    Drive2 = 160+-Gb ide2 expansion controller. part O: - R:, V: HPFS; W: JFS.

    all worked fine, thanks to Dani.

    F: is primary Warp boot.

    Checked hdmonitor, alway reported s.m.a.r.t ok. system very rarely rebooted.
    Then, problems finding files on F:. Rebooted. BIOS: DriveO bad, backup,
    replace.

    So Warp failed me here!

    Add new
    Drive2 = 200Gb as ide2, blank
    move
    Drive2 to Drive3, ide3.

    use dfsee from freeDOS to partition Drive2 for C: - N:
    clone old Drive1.
    attempt to clone old Drive0, but no joy.

    Finally find 4.52 CD, not 4.52 install. make floppy disks; modify w
    danis506.add. boot to CLI. run chkdsk /f. etc. etc.

    Problem 1: for new M: ,eg, chkdsk /f fails w/ "not enough memory".
    system has 512 Mb ... how much does CLI see??
    workaround????

    Problem 2: disketted WILL NOT boot to install w "can't operate hd"

    Problem 3: new F: [xcopy from backup] is there, seen from BMGR, but
    both booting fails:
    to PM, just reboots
    to CLI, stops dead.

    Problem 4: old O: [maintenance boot] is there, seen from BMGR, but
    both booting fails:
    to PM, just reboots
    to CLI, stops dead.

    HOW DO I GET THIS SYSTEM BACK??????

    Please copy advice directly to wadsackATattglobalDOTnet

  2. Re: still can't boot from hd .... help

    Peter Wadsack wrote:

    > Problem 1: for new M: ,eg, chkdsk /f fails w/ "not enough memory".
    > system has 512 Mb ... how much does CLI see??
    > workaround????

    add BaseDev=chkdsk.sys -- this allows chkdsk for HPFS (JFS?)
    to map more than the memory below 16M.
    Would update OS2LDR/OS2KRNL to newer level to really use all
    the memory. FileCommander/2 for displays memory size in the Ctrl+L
    panel

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  3. Re: still can't boot from hd .... help

    On 13 Oct 2005 08:49:11 GMT, Veit Kannegieser wrote:

    :> Peter Wadsack wrote:
    :>
    :> > Problem 1: for new M: ,eg, chkdsk /f fails w/ "not enough memory".
    :> > system has 512 Mb ... how much does CLI see??
    :> > workaround????
    :>
    :> add BaseDev=chkdsk.sys -- this allows chkdsk for HPFS (JFS?)
    :> to map more than the memory below 16M.

    did this

    :> Would update OS2LDR/OS2KRNL to newer level to really use all
    :> the memory.

    did this

    :> FileCommander/2 for displays memory size in the Ctrl+L
    :> panel
    :>

    don't have this

    Didn't work: still get "not enough memory" on M: and V:,
    both > 20Gb HPFS.

    Ran it, holding breath, against W:, JFS volume, [msg: dirty bit set clean,
    but drive is dirty] and it did it's thing and came up clean[ed]. whew.

    Ran it against K:, HPFS 4Gb, [w/o /f, lots of unassigned EAs scrolled past]
    and after it finished, FOUND3 had >250Mb of files, inc what seems to be
    some 20000 PMMail e-mails. sigh. Wonder what PMMail does to/with EAs?

    Ran LVM, and the screen came up, showing all. Wouldn't work earlier.

    Tried again to boot from BMGR to F:.

    -- for PM, just went black and rebooted, shortly after DANIS506 loaded.
    -- for CLI, stopped dead with Trap 0d in HPFSMINI.

    Whatever that is; no such file on the drive. Any suggestions?

  4. Re: still can't boot from hd .... help

    Peter Wadsack wrote:

    > -- for PM, just went black and rebooted, shortly after DANIS506 loaded.
    > -- for CLI, stopped dead with Trap 0d in HPFSMINI.
    >
    > Whatever that is; no such file on the drive. Any suggestions?

    HPFSMINI is \os2boot. Uses SysInstX Drive:
    to install a new version. SysInstX should be somewhere on the
    install CD or in an bootdisk subdir on the HD. SysInstX.com
    will use UHPFS.DLL for HPFS, so have the newest (fixpack..)
    version of it in the libpath.

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  5. Re: still can't boot from hd .... help

    On 14 Oct 2005 07:59:11 GMT, Veit Kannegieser wrote:

    :> Peter Wadsack wrote:
    :>
    :> > -- for PM, just went black and rebooted, shortly after DANIS506
    loaded.
    :> > -- for CLI, stopped dead with Trap 0d in HPFSMINI.
    :> >
    :> > Whatever that is; no such file on the drive. Any suggestions?
    :>
    :> HPFSMINI is \os2boot. Uses SysInstX Drive:
    :> to install a new version. SysInstX should be somewhere on the
    :> install CD or in an bootdisk subdir on the HD. SysInstX.com
    :> will use UHPFS.DLL for HPFS, so have the newest (fixpack..)
    :> version of it in the libpath.
    :>
    :> --
    :> Veit Kannegieser

    sorry, I don't understand.

    Are you saying that HPFSMINI is a module in OS2BOOT?

    And what does it do with sysinstx.com?

    In this case, the boot drive is F:, and \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK\SYSINSTX.COM is
    present. It has some fixpack version of UHPFS.DLL on it.

    And it worked just fine before the hd crash ... .

    In any case, what are you suggesting I do?

    Peter

    */------------------------------------------------------
    Peter Wadsack
    ------------------------------------------------------*/

  6. Re: still can't boot from hd .... help

    Hi Peter

    Peter Wadsack wrote:
    > On 14 Oct 2005 07:59:11 GMT, Veit Kannegieser wrote:
    >
    > :> Peter Wadsack wrote:
    > :>
    > :> > -- for PM, just went black and rebooted, shortly after DANIS506
    > loaded.
    > :> > -- for CLI, stopped dead with Trap 0d in HPFSMINI.
    > :> >
    > :> > Whatever that is; no such file on the drive. Any suggestions?
    > :>
    > :> HPFSMINI is \os2boot. Uses SysInstX Drive:
    > :> to install a new version. SysInstX should be somewhere on the
    > :> install CD or in an bootdisk subdir on the HD. SysInstX.com
    > :> will use UHPFS.DLL for HPFS, so have the newest (fixpack..)
    > :> version of it in the libpath.
    > :>
    > :> --
    > :> Veit Kannegieser
    >
    > sorry, I don't understand.
    >
    > Are you saying that HPFSMINI is a module in OS2BOOT?

    I think HPFSMINI is in either the os2ldr or os2krnl and the message
    probably means that it cannot make sense of your drive, cannot locate
    files needed in \os2\boot probably.

    Looking back through this thread I get the impression that you may have
    cloned a trashed disk ie the files on Drive0 volume F: were damaged due
    to disk failure.

    I also see that you have Backups.

    I think I would try running the install from cd/diskettes and ... Sorry,
    looks like you cannot see the hard drive when booted from diskettes
    which trounces the idea of creating volumes and restoring from Backups
    until that problem is resolved.

    I suspect that you need to get the latest versions of Dani/IBM
    (whichever you use) ide drivers, os2dasd.dmd onto the diskettes and see
    if that helps.

    If the system still cannot see the HD when booted from diskettes it is
    suggestive of a hard disk/mainboard BIOS incompatibility.

    Is the 200Gb suitable for use with the mainboard or is it too large?
    Is the BIOS set to Autodetect drives?

    Hope the above is of some help.

    Pete

    > And what does it do with sysinstx.com?
    >
    > In this case, the boot drive is F:, and \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK\SYSINSTX.COM is
    > present. It has some fixpack version of UHPFS.DLL on it.
    >
    > And it worked just fine before the hd crash ... .
    >
    > In any case, what are you suggesting I do?
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > */------------------------------------------------------
    > Peter Wadsack
    > ------------------------------------------------------*/

  7. Re: still can't boot from hd .... help

    Peter Wadsack wrote:

    > Are you saying that HPFSMINI is a module in OS2BOOT?

    HPFSMINI is the internal module name in \OS2BOOT for HPFS.

    > And what does it do with sysinstx.com?

    'SysInstX.com Drive:' installs an new \os2boot (and other boot sector
    related code) to the target drive. The code for \OS2BOOT comes from
    uHPFS.dll in this case.

    > In any case, what are you suggesting I do?

    Do the SysInstX bootdrive:

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

+ Reply to Thread