Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot - OS2

This is a discussion on Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot - OS2 ; Hi Folks, I have had one or two oddities with my SCSI hard disks, so I thought I'd try upgrading the BIOS in my Adeptec 2940UW SCSI card. The upgrade went fine (once I had worked out how to make ...

  1. Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Hi Folks,

    I have had one or two oddities with my SCSI hard disks, so I thought
    I'd try upgrading the BIOS
    in my Adeptec 2940UW SCSI card. The upgrade went fine (once I had
    worked out how to make a DOS boot disk) and when I restarted the
    machine it saw all my SCSI disks (three HD, one CD, one CD-RW, one
    ZIP) no problem during the BIOS boot sequence.

    However, it then hung before getting to the Boot Manager screen. I
    left it for half an hour to see if anything would happend and it
    didn't, so I rebooted (same again) then gave up, restored the old BIOS
    and restarted with no problem.

    Is there any reason why OS/2 (eCS) Boot Manager would have problems
    witha new SCSI BIOS? If not I'll guess it's a hardware problem and
    pester Adaptec about it. Incidentally, I did check the settings, and
    it was correctly set to try to boot from my main hard disk, which is
    unit 0.

    Ian

  2. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Ian Johnston
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have had one or two oddities with my SCSI hard disks, so I thought
    > I'd try upgrading the BIOS
    > in my Adeptec 2940UW SCSI card. The upgrade went fine (once I had
    > worked out how to make a DOS boot disk) and when I restarted the
    > machine it saw all my SCSI disks (three HD, one CD, one CD-RW, one
    > ZIP) no problem during the BIOS boot sequence.
    >
    > However, it then hung before getting to the Boot Manager screen. I
    > left it for half an hour to see if anything would happend and it
    > didn't, so I rebooted (same again) then gave up, restored the old BIOS
    > and restarted with no problem.

    One (probably useless for you) reference point: at some moment I had
    the same experience with Symbios cards. Turned out that there two
    drivers:

    REM BASEDEV=OS2CAM.ADD /V
    REM BASEDEV=SYM8XX.ADD /V

    One of old BIOS, another for new one. But from what I have seen
    lately, most probably you have a problem with changed percieved
    geometry of the disks...

    Yours,
    Ilya

  3. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:36:11 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    > I have had one or two oddities with my SCSI hard disks, so I thought
    > I'd try upgrading the BIOS
    > in my Adeptec 2940UW SCSI card. The upgrade went fine (once I had
    > worked out how to make a DOS boot disk) and when I restarted the
    > machine it saw all my SCSI disks (three HD, one CD, one CD-RW, one
    > ZIP) no problem during the BIOS boot sequence.
    >
    > However, it then hung before getting to the Boot Manager screen. I
    > left it for half an hour to see if anything would happend and it
    > didn't, so I rebooted (same again) then gave up, restored the old BIOS
    > and restarted with no problem.

    There was, at some point, an update to the 2940 BIOS that changed the
    disk geometry. The same revision introduced a setup parameter (in the
    BIOS) that allowed one to fall back to the old method (the option had
    the word 'DOS' in it). Take a look at the stuff under the Ctrl-A option
    at boot time...

  4. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have had one or two oddities with my SCSI hard disks, so I thought
    > I'd try upgrading the BIOS
    > in my Adeptec 2940UW SCSI card.

    Is this a TRUE Adaptec card or an OEM one? Check the card info with
    Adaptec.

    --
    Regards,
    Doug

    **** remove leading g for email replies. ****

  5. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Bob Eager writes:

    > Ian Johnston wrote:

    >> I have had one or two oddities with my SCSI hard disks, so I thought
    >> I'd try upgrading the BIOS
    >> in my Adeptec 2940UW SCSI card. The upgrade went fine (once I had
    >> worked out how to make a DOS boot disk) and when I restarted the
    >> machine it saw all my SCSI disks (three HD, one CD, one CD-RW, one
    >> ZIP) no problem during the BIOS boot sequence.
    >>
    >> However, it then hung before getting to the Boot Manager screen. I
    >> left it for half an hour to see if anything would happend and it
    >> didn't, so I rebooted (same again) then gave up, restored the old BIOS
    >> and restarted with no problem.

    > There was, at some point, an update to the 2940 BIOS that changed the
    > disk geometry. The same revision introduced a setup parameter (in the
    > BIOS) that allowed one to fall back to the old method (the option had
    > the word 'DOS' in it). Take a look at the stuff under the Ctrl-A option
    > at boot time...

    You mean something like

    "Extended INT 13 translation for DOS drives > 1 GB"

    That would definitely make a difference.

  6. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 00:20:22 UTC, tholen@antispam.ham wrote:

    : You mean something like
    :
    : "Extended INT 13 translation for DOS drives > 1 GB"
    :
    : That would definitely make a difference.

    That was set to "enabled" - good or bad?

    Many thanks,

    Ian

    --

  7. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 05:58:49 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 00:20:22 UTC, tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    >
    > : You mean something like
    > :
    > : "Extended INT 13 translation for DOS drives > 1 GB"
    > :
    > : That would definitely make a difference.
    >
    > That was set to "enabled" - good or bad?

    I assume tholen was following up to my post, but since I've had him
    killfiled for ages....!

    I think it needs to be disabled to preserve the old geometry. This does
    of course limit options with large disks, but if you are using a 2940
    you probably aren't useing very large disks...!

  8. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Ian Johnston writes:

    >> You mean something like
    >>
    >> "Extended INT 13 translation for DOS drives > 1 GB"
    >>
    >> That would definitely make a difference.

    > That was set to "enabled" - good or bad?

    Depends on whether it was the same before and after the BIOS
    upgrade. Same = good, different = bad.

  9. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Bob Eager writes:

    > Ian Johnston wrote:

    >>> You mean something like
    >>>
    >>> "Extended INT 13 translation for DOS drives > 1 GB"
    >>>
    >>> That would definitely make a difference.

    >> That was set to "enabled" - good or bad?

    > I assume tholen was following up to my post,

    What you assume is irrelevant, Eager.

    > but since I've had him killfiled for ages....!

    What does that have to do with upgraded SCSI BIOS, Eager?

    > I think it needs to be disabled to preserve the old geometry. This does
    > of course limit options with large disks, but if you are using a 2940
    > you probably aren't useing very large disks...!

  10. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined:
    > Bob Eager writes:
    >
    > > Ian Johnston wrote:

    > >> I have had one or two oddities with my SCSI hard disks, so I thought
    > >> I'd try upgrading the BIOS
    > >> in my Adeptec 2940UW SCSI card. The upgrade went fine (once I had
    > >> worked out how to make a DOS boot disk) and when I restarted the
    > >> machine it saw all my SCSI disks (three HD, one CD, one CD-RW, one
    > >> ZIP) no problem during the BIOS boot sequence.
    > >>
    > >> However, it then hung before getting to the Boot Manager screen. I
    > >> left it for half an hour to see if anything would happend and it
    > >> didn't, so I rebooted (same again) then gave up, restored the old BIOS
    > >> and restarted with no problem.

    > > There was, at some point, an update to the 2940 BIOS that changed the
    > > disk geometry. The same revision introduced a setup parameter (in the
    > > BIOS) that allowed one to fall back to the old method (the option had
    > > the word 'DOS' in it). Take a look at the stuff under the Ctrl-A option
    > > at boot time...

    > You mean something like
    >
    > "Extended INT 13 translation for DOS drives > 1 GB"
    >
    > That would definitely make a difference.

    On what basis do you make that claim, Dickless?

  11. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined:
    > Bob Eager writes:

    > >> That was set to "enabled" - good or bad?

    > > I assume tholen was following up to my post,

    > What you assume is irrelevant, Eager.

    You're an irrelevant arsehole, Dickless.

    > > but since I've had him killfiled for ages....!

    > What does that have to do with upgraded SCSI BIOS, Eager?

    What does that have to do with classical music, Dickless?

    > > I think it needs to be disabled to preserve the old geometry. This does
    > > of course limit options with large disks, but if you are using a 2940
    > > you probably aren't useing very large disks...!

  12. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined:
    > Ian Johnston writes:
    >
    > >> You mean something like
    > >>
    > >> "Extended INT 13 translation for DOS drives > 1 GB"
    > >>
    > >> That would definitely make a difference.

    > > That was set to "enabled" - good or bad?

    > Depends on whether it was the same before and after the BIOS
    > upgrade. Same = good, different = bad.

    How is that any different to you being a 6 times award winning kook,
    Dickless?

  13. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    wrote:

    >Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined:
    >> Bob Eager writes:

    >> > I assume tholen was following up to my post,

    >> What you assume is irrelevant, Eager.

    >You're an irrelevant arsehole, Dickless.
    >
    >> > but since I've had him killfiled for ages....!

    >> What does that have to do with upgraded SCSI BIOS, Eager?

    >What does that have to do with classical music, Dickless?

    It looks like Classic Tholenator(tm) needs to start digesting
    comp.os.os2.setup.misc antagonists, Bruce.

    >> > I think it needs to be disabled to preserve the old geometry. This does
    >> > of course limit options with large disks, but if you are using a 2940
    >> > you probably aren't useing very large disks...!

    --
    Official Associate AFA-B Vote Rustler

    "The original human being was a female hermaphrodite with
    both male and female genitalia."

    "Human beings CAN NOT live in a solar system without a sun
    with a ferrite core and a planet without a solid iron core."

    -- Alexa Cameron, Kook of the Year 2004

  14. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Art Deco wrote in

    > wrote:
    >
    >>Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined:

    >>> What you assume is irrelevant, Eager.

    >>You're an irrelevant arsehole, Dickless.

    >>> What does that have to do with upgraded SCSI BIOS, Eager?

    >>What does that have to do with classical music, Dickless?

    > It looks like Classic Tholenator(tm) needs to start digesting
    > comp.os.os2.setup.misc antagonists, Bruce.

    Puerile, Bruce.

    --
    Robert Buchanan
    http://www.robertbuchanan.name/

    Quote of the week:
    "Let me get this straight... you are a pizza delivery driver and I've made
    millions in software and I'm incompetent?"
    -Tom Bishop,

  15. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    Bruce AKA Art Deco wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined:

    > >> What you assume is irrelevant, Eager.

    > >You're an irrelevant arsehole, Dickless.

    > >> What does that have to do with upgraded SCSI BIOS, Eager?

    > >What does that have to do with classical music, Dickless?

    > It looks like Classic Tholenator(tm) needs to start digesting
    > comp.os.os2.setup.misc antagonists, Bruce.

    It sure does, Bruce. Those damn antagonists are everywhere.

    > --
    > Official Associate AFA-B Vote Rustler
    >
    > "The original human being was a female hermaphrodite with
    > both male and female genitalia."
    >
    > "Human beings CAN NOT live in a solar system without a sun
    > with a ferrite core and a planet without a solid iron core."
    >
    > -- Alexa Cameron, Kook of the Year 2004

  16. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 06:34:16 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    wrote:

    : I think it needs to be disabled to preserve the old geometry. This does
    : of course limit options with large disks, but if you are using a 2940
    : you probably aren't useing very large disks...!

    Unit 0 is 35GB, currently 7MB Boot Manager + 1GB HPFS (eCS system) +
    10GB JFS

    Unit 1 is 8GB, currently 2GB FAT16 + 3GB HPFS

    Unit 2 is 1GB, currently 1GB Type "EB" (BeOS)

    Ian

  17. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:03:41 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 06:34:16 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > wrote:
    >
    > : I think it needs to be disabled to preserve the old geometry. This does
    > : of course limit options with large disks, but if you are using a 2940
    > : you probably aren't useing very large disks...!
    >
    > Unit 0 is 35GB, currently 7MB Boot Manager + 1GB HPFS (eCS system) +
    > 10GB JFS
    >
    > Unit 1 is 8GB, currently 2GB FAT16 + 3GB HPFS
    >
    > Unit 2 is 1GB, currently 1GB Type "EB" (BeOS)

    Oh, well...!

    Have you found such an option, and have you tried it?

  18. Re: Upgraded SCSI Bios -> no boot

    On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 00:10:51 UTC, "Doug Fitzpatrick"
    wrote:

    > Is this a TRUE Adaptec card or an OEM one? Check the card info with
    > Adaptec.

    It's a true Adaptec one. It's now getting even stranger. On boot it
    recognizes all the SCSI devices (two HD on wide SCSI, one HD, one Zip
    drive, on CD-R and one CD-RW on narrow SCSI), although it complains
    that the unit start command to the zip drive failed. When boot manager
    comes up, it gives me the choice of booting OS/2 from disk 1 or disk
    3: it's exactly the same disk drive!

    When OS/2 boots it fails to load OS2CDROM.DMD - as far as I can see
    because it doesn't believe there are any CDROMS on the system. So...

    Both HDs on wide SCSI work fine, but one partition appears twice in
    boot manager

    The one HD on narrow SCSI works fine

    The Zip drive fails to start at POST and

    The CDROMS don't get seen by OS/2.

    I have ordered a replacement SCSI card from eBay! If that doesn't do
    it, I have a spare identical motherboard to try - I can't see anything
    suspicious in the BIOS setup, but perhaps it's losing its grip - it is
    seven or eight years old now. If that doesn't work I'll build a new PC
    and start again.

    Ian

+ Reply to Thread