Posting to Moderator - OS2

This is a discussion on Posting to Moderator - OS2 ; Sir: I just attempted to post to the moderated newsgroup and was told that the e-mail server was not accepting the post. What do I need to do to configure Zxmail to handle this post? -- Bill Thanks a Million!...

  1. Posting to Moderator

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  2. Re: Posting to Moderator

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:50:43 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    -> Sir:
    ->
    -> I just attempted to post to the moderated newsgroup and was told that
    -> the e-mail server was not accepting the post. What do I need to do to
    -> configure Zxmail to handle this post?

    Not sure about email, but using Pronews/2 I just post as news to
    comp.os.os2.moderate and Pat (the moderator) gets the post and
    approves them. I haven't had any problems.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  3. Re: Posting to Moderator

    Sir:

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:50:43 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> Sir:
    > ->
    > -> I just attempted to post to the moderated newsgroup and was told that
    > -> the e-mail server was not accepting the post. What do I need to do to
    > -> configure Zxmail to handle this post?
    >
    > Not sure about email, but using Pronews/2 I just post as news to
    > comp.os.os2.moderate and Pat (the moderator) gets the post and
    > approves them. I haven't had any problems.
    >
    > Mark

    The problem seems that there is no address for moderator. I'd had
    assumed that somewhere within usenet, a name lookup and fix was done.
    But Mozilla wants to send this directly as email. So the problem is
    between Mozilla and Zxmail (SMTP). Changi does not handle moderated
    newsgroups (unless I got it miscofigured).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Posting to Moderator

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:04:55 -0500, William L. Hartzell
    wrote:

    > The problem seems that there is no address for moderator. I'd had
    > assumed that somewhere within usenet, a name lookup and fix was done.

    It is. AIUI, it's done (or at least should be) by your ISP's news server.

    > But Mozilla wants to send this directly as email. So the problem is
    > between Mozilla and Zxmail (SMTP). Changi does not handle moderated
    > newsgroups (unless I got it miscofigured).

    Changi does handle moderated groups. Lookup the docs. for the "mailpaths"
    file. FWIW, here is what I have in mine:

    * %s@moderated.news.pipex.net

    I don't know if you can use that or whether it will get bounced, as your
    ISP isn't Pipex.
    I haven't posted to a moderated group for ages, but it certainly used to
    work.

  5. Re: Posting to Moderator

    Sir:

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:04:55 -0500, William L. Hartzell
    > wrote:
    >

    >>The problem seems that there is no address for moderator. I'd had
    >>assumed that somewhere within usenet, a name lookup and fix was done.

    > It is. AIUI, it's done (or at least should be) by your ISP's news server.
    >

    >>But Mozilla wants to send this directly as email. So the problem is
    >>between Mozilla and Zxmail (SMTP). Changi does not handle moderated
    >>newsgroups (unless I got it miscofigured).

    > Changi does handle moderated groups. Lookup the docs. for the "mailpaths"
    > file. FWIW, here is what I have in mine:
    >
    > * %s@moderated.news.pipex.net
    >
    > I don't know if you can use that or whether it will get bounced, as your
    > ISP isn't Pipex.
    > I haven't posted to a moderated group for ages, but it certainly used to
    > work.

    Thanks for your interest. The Changi manual has this to say:
    "Mail to moderators
    For any newsgroup the article is posted to, Changi will check, if
    this is a moderated group and if the article has been approved.
    Unapproved articles to moderated groups are automatically mailed to the
    moderator."
    Which is why I have nothing configured. I found the html file that you
    mentioned and created a mailpaths file. That provides the needed
    information as to the moderator address. It translates, I hope, to '*
    %s@moderated..', in my case it is '*
    %s@netnews.comcast.net'. Alas, I still get the cannot post to your news
    server message, which I think is coming from Mozilla. I've restarted
    Changi in case that is needed, but no change.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: Posting to Moderator

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:32:38 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > Changi does handle moderated groups. Lookup the docs. for the "mailpaths"
    > file. FWIW, here is what I have in mine:
    >
    > * %s@moderated.news.pipex.net
    >
    > I don't know if you can use that or whether it will get bounced, as your
    > ISP isn't Pipex.
    > I haven't posted to a moderated group for ages, but it certainly used to
    > work.

    Don't think it does any more:

    550 5.1.2 ...
    Host unknown (Name server: moderated.news.pipex.net: host not
    found)

    Best thing is for Bill to get in touch with his ISP and find out
    the correct address that his ISP uses. I've got the direct
    posting address for coom configured in mailpaths now but I'm
    pretty sure it sould be a more generic address (such as the one
    above) that is resolved to a secific address by the news server.

    Bill, if you're using ZxMail to send out smtp mail on the same
    box as Changi then you may have to set the CHANGISMAILCALL env.
    variable as well. I use Weasel with Peter Moylan's qmail script
    to send an individual mail and my CHANGISMAILCALL is set so:

    SET CHANGISMAILCALL=e:\apps\weasel\qmail -f -t

    in the Changi startup script. Default mail command is sendmail -t
    which won't work if ZxMail SMTP server is on the same box.

    HTH.

    --
    Simon Wright
    diver 0 6 at gmx dot net

  7. Re: Posting to Moderator

    Sir:

    Simon Wright wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:32:38 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Changi does handle moderated groups. Lookup the docs. for the "mailpaths"
    >>file. FWIW, here is what I have in mine:
    >>
    >>* %s@moderated.news.pipex.net
    >>
    >>I don't know if you can use that or whether it will get bounced, as your
    >>ISP isn't Pipex.
    >>I haven't posted to a moderated group for ages, but it certainly used to
    >>work.

    > Don't think it does any more:
    >
    > ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    > 550 5.1.2 ...
    > Host unknown (Name server: moderated.news.pipex.net: host not
    > found)
    >
    > Best thing is for Bill to get in touch with his ISP and find out
    > the correct address that his ISP uses. I've got the direct
    > posting address for coom configured in mailpaths now but I'm
    > pretty sure it sould be a more generic address (such as the one
    > above) that is resolved to a secific address by the news server.
    >
    > Bill, if you're using ZxMail to send out smtp mail on the same
    > box as Changi then you may have to set the CHANGISMAILCALL env.
    > variable as well. I use Weasel with Peter Moylan's qmail script
    > to send an individual mail and my CHANGISMAILCALL is set so:
    >
    > SET CHANGISMAILCALL=e:\apps\weasel\qmail -f -t
    >
    > in the Changi startup script. Default mail command is sendmail -t
    > which won't work if ZxMail SMTP server is on the same box.

    Okay, that is two problems. ISP query and finding out how to relay to
    Zxmail. Zxmail requires authorization. How do I get Changi send the
    mail using authorization (user id and password)?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: Posting to Moderator

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:07:00 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > > SET CHANGISMAILCALL=e:\apps\weasel\qmail -f -t
    > >
    > > in the Changi startup script. Default mail command is sendmail -t
    > > which won't work if ZxMail SMTP server is on the same box.
    > >

    > Okay, that is two problems. ISP query and finding out how to relay to
    > Zxmail. Zxmail requires authorization. How do I get Changi send the
    > mail using authorization (user id and password)?

    Use the SET CHANGISMAILCALL to a script. Peter's qmail.cmd will
    write to Weasel by dropping a message in the "Forward" directory
    and the -f -t arguments allow subsitution of the "From:" and
    "To:". Qmail is here:

    ftp://eepjm.newcastle.edu.au/weasel/tools/qmail.zip

    You can send a mail to ZxMail via REXX (see the FAQ at
    http://www.zeryx.com/English/faq.shtml#q10), putting it in the
    "Dropbox" directory. As long as it's not transferring the file by
    SMTP, it won't need authorisation since it's just writing from
    one file system location to another. You might be able to hack
    Peter's script about to do this. Or move ZxMail to another box
    which would allow Changi to use the default call to sendmail -
    though that might be "sledgehammer to crack a nut" time
    especially if you throw in configuring sendmail!

    HTH.

    --
    Simon Wright
    diver 0 6 at gmx dot net