warp 4 seems slow compared to win98 - OS2

This is a discussion on warp 4 seems slow compared to win98 - OS2 ; i've been given a copy of warp4 and having never played with os2 i decided to put it on an older box, i've discovered that i need updated installation disks for larger drives and i eventually installed on a 8bg+ ...

  1. warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    i've been given a copy of warp4 and having never played with os2 i
    decided to put it on an older box, i've discovered that i need updated
    installation disks for larger drives and i eventually installed on a
    8bg+ disk, however, the system runs v. slow compared to the win98 that
    was on the disk previously, i tracked down an ibm specific version of
    scitech display doctor that supports the geforce ddr in the box but you
    can see the screen redraw each time a window closes, i've replaced the
    ibmi506.asd? file with the dani* one, on boot up i see messages
    acknwledging that my drive is udma2 which the old driver didn't, but
    still the system is sluggish.
    are there other drivers that i should be replacing/updating?
    will it be difficult to install all the fixes for this os? a lot of
    links that i have followed from sites about os2 have gone to now
    non-existent ibm pages.
    i'm also confused as to what's available without having to cough up
    cash, my copy of warp4 was free from a relative who has 'moved on' to
    winxp, being a linux guy most of the time i'm used to not worrying about
    copyright etc. i ask because i've read about ecomstation (am i
    allowed to say that on this newsgroup - seems v. unpopular!) which seems
    expensive and i've come across references on ibm.com to purchasing
    support access, but i'm just playing here, expenditure takes away the fun!
    os2 versions of free progs like firefox seem to want 'fixes' that i'm
    not sure i can get for warp 4,
    my hardware:
    gigabyte ga-71xe4 mobo
    maxtor 8+gb disk
    duron 850
    256mb ram
    sb32awe
    rtl8029 nic
    liteon 403l cdrom

    anyway, the main problem right now is that the system seems v. slow, i'm
    assuming that this is because the base warp4 is older than my hardware,
    so what should i be updating?

    diziet

  2. Re: warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:11:44 GMT, wibble@wobble.com wrote:

    >i've been given a copy of warp4 and having never played with os2 i
    >decided to put it on an older box, i've discovered that i need updated
    >installation disks for larger drives and i eventually installed on a
    >8bg+ disk, however, the system runs v. slow compared to the win98 that
    >was on the disk previously, i tracked down an ibm specific version of
    >scitech display doctor that supports the geforce ddr in the box but you
    >can see the screen redraw each time a window closes, i've replaced the
    >ibmi506.asd? file with the dani* one, on boot up i see messages
    >acknwledging that my drive is udma2 which the old driver didn't, but
    >still the system is sluggish.
    >are there other drivers that i should be replacing/updating?
    >will it be difficult to install all the fixes for this os? a lot of
    >links that i have followed from sites about os2 have gone to now
    >non-existent ibm pages.
    >i'm also confused as to what's available without having to cough up
    >cash, my copy of warp4 was free from a relative who has 'moved on' to
    >winxp, being a linux guy most of the time i'm used to not worrying about
    > copyright etc. i ask because i've read about ecomstation (am i
    >allowed to say that on this newsgroup - seems v. unpopular!) which seems
    >expensive and i've come across references on ibm.com to purchasing
    >support access, but i'm just playing here, expenditure takes away the fun!
    >os2 versions of free progs like firefox seem to want 'fixes' that i'm
    >not sure i can get for warp 4,
    >my hardware:
    >gigabyte ga-71xe4 mobo
    >maxtor 8+gb disk
    >duron 850
    >256mb ram
    >sb32awe
    >rtl8029 nic
    >liteon 403l cdrom
    >
    >anyway, the main problem right now is that the system seems v. slow, i'm
    >assuming that this is because the base warp4 is older than my hardware,
    >so what should i be updating?
    >
    >diziet

    Warp 4 runs about like NT 4.0 which is, as you say, not as snappy as
    Win98. The decision to run either instead of Win98 is that they both
    are much more stable.

    That said, you can do a few things to spif up your base level Warp4 at
    no cost:
    -Run Warp from a HPFS partition with 2MB cache.
    -Install the latest public system fixpack available here:
    ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/pro...sh-us/xr_m015/
    -Install the latest public device driver fixpack available here:
    ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/pro...ddpak/xr_d002/
    -Make sure the display driver is supporting your card in accelerated
    mode, I think the SDD package has some diagnostics you can use.
    -Reduce display colors from 32bit to 16bit or less.
    -Make sure the Dani driver is supporting your HD's in their highest
    mode - you can add a /V or a /W to the Dani line in config.sys to show
    the driver output and compare to HD specs. Check also for 80 wire IDE
    cables. Check the Dani docs for errata pertaining to your chipset.
    -Check your BIOS and turn OFF these: PNP OS; >64MB for OS/2: cache
    bios; cache video mem; any unused hardware
    -Check your BIOS and turn ON these: AUTO detect IDE; SMART for IDE;
    cache internal(L1); cache external(L2)
    -Check for shared IRQ's and minimize them(move card to different slot,
    etc) using this utility available here:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/misc/pci103vka.zip
    -Use the system Install/Remove utility to remove all unused
    components.
    -Check config.sys and REM any unused items. A utility to guide you
    through this is available here:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/...cfgtool130.zip

    Here's a great resource for Warp update info and links:
    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne...._contents.html
    Use Hobbes, and especially its search function, to find addtional
    system and application updates:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/
    Stay up to date with OS/2 news and software here:
    http://www.os2world.com/

  3. Re: warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    diziet wrote:

    > tracked down an ibm specific version of
    > scitech display doctor that supports the geforce ddr in the box but you
    > can see the screen redraw each time a window closes

    Try the 'Personal edition' or 'Enterprise edition' evalution..

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  4. Re: warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:11:44 GMT, wibble@wobble.com wrote:
    > i've been given a copy of warp4 and having never played with os2 i
    > decided to put it on an older box, i've discovered that i need updated
    > installation disks for larger drives and i eventually installed on a
    > 8bg+ disk, however, the system runs v. slow compared to the win98 that
    > was on the disk previously, i tracked down an ibm specific version of
    > scitech display doctor that supports the geforce ddr in the box but you
    > can see the screen redraw each time a window closes, i've replaced the
    > ibmi506.asd? file with the dani* one, on boot up i see messages
    > acknwledging that my drive is udma2 which the old driver didn't, but
    > still the system is sluggish.

    It certainly shouldn't be that slow, especially not on the hardware you
    described.

    It does sound like the video driver isn't properly configured. I suppose
    it _could_ be a problem with OS/2 not recognizing your installed RAM
    properly. You might try running a monitor utility such as TOP, or maybe
    MemSize:

    > are there other drivers that i should be replacing/updating?
    > will it be difficult to install all the fixes for this os? a lot of
    > links that i have followed from sites about os2 have gone to now
    > non-existent ibm pages.

    If I can plug my own website, there's some information about fixes
    available here, which I've tried to make straightforward and accessible:

    Note that you can install some FixPaks over the web from this site as
    well.

    For more detailed and technical information about fixes for OS/2, the
    WarpUpdates website goes very much in-depth, but a new user might find the
    sheer volume and reference-oriented layout intimidating.

    > i'm also confused as to what's available without having to cough up
    > cash, my copy of warp4 was free from a relative who has 'moved on' to
    > winxp, being a linux guy most of the time i'm used to not worrying about

    Basically, you can freely install updates up to FixPak 15 for the base OS,
    MPTS 5.5 for networking, TCP/IP fix UN_0980 for Internet utilities, and
    DD FixPak 2 for device drivers. You won't be able to install USB support
    from IBM, but there are some free drivers which are a bit more limited,
    available here:

    > copyright etc. i ask because i've read about ecomstation (am i
    > allowed to say that on this newsgroup - seems v. unpopular!) which seems
    > expensive and i've come across references on ibm.com to purchasing
    > support access, but i'm just playing here, expenditure takes away the fun!
    > os2 versions of free progs like firefox seem to want 'fixes' that i'm
    > not sure i can get for warp 4,

    I really recommend you install the latest fixes, which my website ()
    should help you with.

    As far as eComStation goes: no, it isn't particularly cheap, but that's
    because OS/2 isn't cheap. Most of the price goes straight to IBM to cover
    the cost of the OS/2 license. There's really no controversy, except among
    a small group of troublemakers with their own agendas (about four or five
    particular people, whose identities you can quickly deduce by reading
    these groups for any length of time -- they're the ones hurling insults,
    hyperbole, and outright lies at one another constantly; configuring your
    news client to filter them out will save you much pain).

    For your purposes, though, Warp 4 should certainly suffice to play with,
    at least for the time being.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  5. Re: warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > Basically, you can freely install updates up to FixPak 15 for the base OS,
    > MPTS 5.5 for networking, TCP/IP fix UN_0980 for Internet utilities, and
    > DD FixPak 2 for device drivers. You won't be able to install USB support
    > from IBM, but there are some free drivers which are a bit more limited,
    > available here:

    thanks to everyone for the prompt replies, i shall follow the suggested
    links this evening and see how i get on!

    diziet

  6. Re: warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    wibble@wobble.com wrote:
    > i've been given a copy of warp4 and having never played with os2 i
    > decided to put it on an older box, i've discovered that i need updated
    > installation disks for larger drives and i eventually installed on a
    > 8bg+ disk, however, the system runs v. slow compared to the win98 that
    > was on the disk previously, i tracked down an ibm specific version of
    > scitech display doctor that supports the geforce ddr in the box but you
    > can see the screen redraw each time a window closes, i've replaced the
    > ibmi506.asd? file with the dani* one, on boot up i see messages
    > acknwledging that my drive is udma2 which the old driver didn't, but
    > still the system is sluggish.
    > are there other drivers that i should be replacing/updating?
    > will it be difficult to install all the fixes for this os? a lot of
    > links that i have followed from sites about os2 have gone to now
    > non-existent ibm pages.
    > i'm also confused as to what's available without having to cough up
    > cash, my copy of warp4 was free from a relative who has 'moved on' to
    > winxp, being a linux guy most of the time i'm used to not worrying about
    > copyright etc. i ask because i've read about ecomstation (am i allowed
    > to say that on this newsgroup - seems v. unpopular!) which seems
    > expensive and i've come across references on ibm.com to purchasing
    > support access, but i'm just playing here, expenditure takes away the fun!
    > os2 versions of free progs like firefox seem to want 'fixes' that i'm
    > not sure i can get for warp 4,
    > my hardware:
    > gigabyte ga-71xe4 mobo
    > maxtor 8+gb disk
    > duron 850
    > 256mb ram
    > sb32awe
    > rtl8029 nic
    > liteon 403l cdrom
    >
    > anyway, the main problem right now is that the system seems v. slow, i'm
    > assuming that this is because the base warp4 is older than my hardware,
    > so what should i be updating?
    >
    > diziet

    I have seen a problem with certain chip sets in which having both bios and os
    support enabled in the power management object causes something to eat 30-70% of
    the cpu time leading to all sorts of sluggishness and performance problems.

    You can tell if you have this problemm by looking at the Pulse object in the
    Warpcenter. If the cpu usage is substantial (30-70%) when you aren't doing
    anything, you have the problem.

    The work around was to open the power object, bring up the properties notebook
    and on the Power tab, select APM BIOS support enabled.

    Another way to "fix" the problem was to print something, anything. After that
    it went away. GO figure.

    YMMV.

  7. Re: warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    In message - yankeebean
    writes:

    {snip}
    :>-Check your BIOS and turn OFF these: PNP OS; >64MB for OS/2: cache
    :>bios; cache video mem; any unused hardware
    :>-Check your BIOS and turn ON these: AUTO detect IDE; SMART for IDE;
    :>cache internal(L1); cache external(L2)

    Hi

    What does >64MB do anyway??

    Thanks
    Rob

  8. Re: warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:18:45 UTC, groups_nospam@rcp.ca (rob c) wrote:

    > In message - yankeebean
    > writes:
    >
    > {snip}
    > :>-Check your BIOS and turn OFF these: PNP OS; >64MB for OS/2: cache
    > :>bios; cache video mem; any unused hardware
    > :>-Check your BIOS and turn ON these: AUTO detect IDE; SMART for IDE;
    > :>cache internal(L1); cache external(L2)
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > What does >64MB do anyway??
    >
    > Thanks
    > Rob

    Provides a memory size according to the memory size tests used by
    early versions of of OS/2 (2.0 or 2.1 and earlier) obsolete for OS/2
    3.0 and up.

    --
    Lorne Sunley

  9. Re: warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    Sir:

    rob c wrote:
    > In message - yankeebean
    > writes:
    >
    > {snip}
    > :>-Check your BIOS and turn OFF these: PNP OS; >64MB for OS/2: cache
    > :>bios; cache video mem; any unused hardware
    > :>-Check your BIOS and turn ON these: AUTO detect IDE; SMART for IDE;
    > :>cache internal(L1); cache external(L2)
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > What does >64MB do anyway??

    Changes how memory is reported to the operating system. Not needed on
    OS/2 begining with Warp 3. You know that was back when 4 MiB of memory
    was common for 386/486 machines and 8 MiB was a lot.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  10. Re: warp 4 seems slow compared to win98

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, wibble@wobble.com spake unto us, saying:

    >i've been given a copy of warp4 and having never played with os2 i
    >decided to put it on an older box, i've discovered that i need updated
    >installation disks for larger drives

    A SCSI system would not have had that problem, if it matters. :-)

    >anyway, the main problem right now is that the system seems v. slow, i'm
    >assuming that this is because the base warp4 is older than my hardware,
    >so what should i be updating?

    Sounds like a video driver issue to me. I'm running a PPro/200 with a
    4MB Matrox Millenium here (and Matrox's own native drivers), and even
    that old video here is snappy enough so I don't see slowdowns at all.

    (Well, I do, but usually due to a lack of CPU, not a lack of video).

    I see others have given you a pile of good advice already, so I'll just
    wish you good luck and bid you welcome. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

+ Reply to Thread